http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 04:50:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PS3] Dragon's Dogma - Dark Arisen out!  (Read 37474 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 01, 2012, 12:58:47 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on June 01, 2012, 12:34:45 PM

Can Sorcerors not cast healing spells? That would be a bummer since my pawn is a healing machine. Turning him into a Sorceror would, in effect, cause me to replace one of the fighter pawns I use with a mage. Blah.

use the holy weapon buff and it heals you as you strike  ninja
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 01, 2012, 01:01:41 PM »

I'll be taking the plunge this afternoon...burned out on D3 and need a change of pace.

If I end up hating this, I'm blaming metallicorphan.  slywink

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 01, 2012, 01:20:07 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 01, 2012, 12:58:47 PM

Can Sorcerors not cast healing spells? That would be a bummer since my pawn is a healing machine. Turning him into a Sorceror would, in effect, cause me to replace one of the fighter pawns I use with a mage. Blah.

This. Also using consumables for healing is relatively cheap, you can usually get most of your healing mats from collecting from the wild. If the enemy lets your Sorcerer get off a higher tier spell then the battle is pretty much over.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 01, 2012, 01:27:20 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 01, 2012, 12:58:47 PM

I didn't realize that. Cool beans. Sorcerer it is then!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: June 01, 2012, 01:30:31 PM »

Vocations aren't upgrades to each other. They are different classes, with different concepts. The Mage vocation is the healer variant. You only go Sorcerer if you wish to specialize in offensive magic.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 01, 2012, 02:59:48 PM »

Ok then, I have begun.  I like the idea of having things be somewhat challenging, so I went Strider and my main pawn is a mage and took a generic fighter as my third.  If the ass-kickings get too severe i will add a fourth character.  So far so good.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #326 on: June 01, 2012, 04:43:44 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 01, 2012, 09:48:47 AM

Also - people liked him back then - He has netted me 180.000 rift crystals by now!

Man, clearly nobody wants to hire my pawn Ayame (a Strider), because I have a total of less than 2000 RC.   icon_confused

Quote from: Lockdown on June 01, 2012, 02:59:48 PM

If the ass-kickings get too severe i will add a fourth character.  So far so good.

It's not a question of if, it's meerly when.  Tongue  My breaking point was going down into the well, and then I grabbed The Grey to burn some nasties. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 01, 2012, 05:44:09 PM »

My pawn is (was anyway, I'm levelling his other vocations at the moment) a strider and pulled me in a few hundred thousand rift crystals. smile
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 01, 2012, 06:18:02 PM »

I went a long time without getting my pawn hired by a player (30 levels).  And she's always been a great healer and enchanter, with Medicant and Utilitarian inclinations.  I think the game started feeling sorry for my pawn, and began "pretend hiring" her, even sending her back with gifts when I would sleep at the inn.  It's a little confusing because you'll start off with the same message, "Your pawn just returned from helping another Arisen", or something like that.  But you won't get a pawn report card. 

Finally around level 32 someone must have hired her for a long series of quests, because she came back with a ton of RCs, and lot of knowledge about quests in the 30-35 range.   
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 01, 2012, 06:27:43 PM »

the one thing I don't like about the pawns is that sometimes it kinda breaks immersion to be wandering through town and see one walking by with the name BuBB4X.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: June 01, 2012, 06:30:11 PM »

I got 1000 MSP today to buy Harley's revenge for 800...with the 200 left i bought the two 10 mission packs for 80 each for Dragons Dogma,they apparently appear on the downstairs Pawns Guild notice board in Gran Soren

so i'll see what they are like over the weekend..for 80 points for 10 missions i can't see them being mega amazing,but still,they can help me decide whether I want to buy the remaining 80 missions when they appear

Quote from: CeeKay on June 01, 2012, 06:27:43 PM

the one thing I don't like about the pawns is that sometimes it kinda breaks immersion to be wandering through town and see one walking by with the name BuBB4X.

you only see that name if you talk to them though,right?..otherwise you can hardly tell they are pawns(the armour and weapons usually give it away and the accessing servers notice to make them appear)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 01, 2012, 06:35:34 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 01, 2012, 06:30:11 PM

you only see that name if you talk to them though,right?..otherwise you can hardly tell they are pawns(the armour and weapons usually give it away and the accessing servers notice to make them appear)

yeah, it's by talking to them, but I tend to talk to everyone who doesn't look like a guard just to see if it's a shiney new pawn I might want to use.  once I see a name like that it makes me want to break out the virtual can of Raid and say 'begone foul b34st!'  icon_lol

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #332 on: June 01, 2012, 07:35:02 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 01, 2012, 06:35:34 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 01, 2012, 06:30:11 PM

yeah, it's by talking to them, but I tend to talk to everyone who doesn't look like a guard just to see if it's a shiney new pawn I might want to use.  once I see a name like that it makes me want to break out the virtual can of Raid and say 'begone foul b34st!'  icon_lol

You could hire them, immediately dismiss them, and give them a scathingly bad review. slywink
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 01, 2012, 08:34:50 PM »

I'm loving the game so far, but I wish the pawns you hired also gained levels, at least within your own game. I've grown attached to the two I've hired, but my character and lead pawn are now outstripping them by over 8 levels.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 01, 2012, 10:46:06 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on June 01, 2012, 08:34:50 PM

I'm loving the game so far, but I wish the pawns you hired also gained levels, at least within your own game. I've grown attached to the two I've hired, but my character and lead pawn are now outstripping them by over 8 levels.

mark them as favourites so they will be easy to find again when you let them go,hopefully when you go looking for them again their owner will of levelled them up

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 02, 2012, 12:34:42 AM »

Loving the game, sorry Hark about this morning not sure why I couldn't talk but I could hear you.  And yes my mic wasn't muted.  Got some cool stuff from my pawn being hired out by you guys so thanks to all.  Also I decided to go exploring off to the side before heading to the main city or whatever and found some good stuff by looting an abandoned castle that had bandits in it.  The bandits didn't attack me so I just walked around gathering things.  Just beyond that I found good stuff on the beach and gave Winter a nice staff that I had found that really up'ed his magic stat. 

Worst thing is I don't have that much time to play since I'm still working 12 hr days at work in the middle of the night but I can't wait to get back at it.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 02, 2012, 12:57:47 AM »

I think the pawn Harkonis has developed a... thing... about high places. Every time we are near the edge of a drop, he is the one to speak up and warn me about how dangerous it is.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 02, 2012, 01:21:11 AM »

jarrod on a totally unrelated note, ask hark about his nightime solo player character build - and how hard it is to "dismiss" your main pawn... slywink
scandec
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 02, 2012, 01:33:23 AM »

Just picked this up today. Can't wait to give it a try later tonight.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 02, 2012, 12:21:31 PM »

I think I may have borked the Grimoire quest:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I made it to the thieves den, or at least the spot marked on my map. When I get there, a bunch of bandits attack me, including one bandit with a red question mark above his head. I assume this means he has the Grimoire? In any case, a crazy battle ensues near the edge of a cliff. I beat the bandits, but when I look around the area I can't find either that guy's body (because it disappeared like the other bodies?) or the Grimoire as loot. Once that battle finished, that area on my map was no longer marked with an X.

Am I missing something? Was I supposed to find it there? If so, will the game let me go back and try it again?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 02, 2012, 01:05:42 PM »

you're fine Ralph, keep looking
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 02, 2012, 01:08:19 PM »

Hmmm.. ok. I'm just not sure why nothing appears on my map anymore. I need direction, damn it!  icon_biggrin
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 02, 2012, 03:25:58 PM »

Look up higher than where you were. Elevation
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 02, 2012, 04:17:30 PM »

just an fyi (because I just figured this out myself). If you need one more of a mat to upgrade your gear, forgeries work just fine.

Oh and at level 30 on my fighter I finally figured out how to tackle mobs to the ground. Hold the right trigger *palmface*
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 02, 2012, 04:58:44 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 02, 2012, 03:25:58 PM

Hmm...
Spoiler for Hiden:
I walked all across the top of that fort, but didn't find anything. Well, I found some treasure chests but no Grimoire. And by then it was night and I was low on health and scared so I didn't continue up the mountain.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: June 02, 2012, 04:59:54 PM »

EngineNo9 just rocked the hell out of my pawn. He just came back to me with 5000+ rift crystals! But I can't believe you gave him only three stars for his appearance. He was so ashamed. /sniff
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 02, 2012, 05:03:26 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on June 02, 2012, 04:59:54 PM

EngineNo9 just rocked the hell out of my pawn. He just came back to me with 5000+ rift crystals! But I can't believe you gave him only three stars for his appearance. He was so ashamed. /sniff

I got 20K+ and a rock from a single player the other day, god knows how long they were using Winter because she also had a ton of 'undiscovered' experience listed.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 02, 2012, 05:28:49 PM »

for those people still interested in these things,Eurogamer has a Dragon's Dogma face off between the 360 and PS3

despite all those pre-release goings on about the 360 version not being as good,its actually the 360 version that comes out on top here,but not spectacularly

like most games,i am sure whichever platform you have it on you will be fine

I for one on the 360 had lots of screen-tear when first in Cassardis but since then i have not noticed it as much

as you can expect,everyone has their say in the EG comments section icon_biggrin

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 02, 2012, 06:02:29 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on June 02, 2012, 04:58:44 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on June 02, 2012, 03:25:58 PM

Hmm...
Spoiler for Hiden:
I walked all across the top of that fort, but didn't find anything. Well, I found some treasure chests but no Grimoire. And by then it was night and I was low on health and scared so I didn't continue up the mountain.

It is where you looked, you likely did not go high enough
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 02, 2012, 06:59:19 PM »

First impressions are...not so good.  I think this game's really trying to make me not like it.

Spent about an hour messing about in the first town and doing some starter quests.  Got tasked to look for some dude's missing holy books, and although I'm standing exactly on the spot indicated by the quest marker, there's nothing there.  OK fine, maybe I need to get up on the roof and look.  Still nothing.  Spend another 10-15 minutes looking around the area directly on the big red circle...still no book, so I give up.  I hop off what looks to be a very manageable ledge, and suddenly I'm at zero HP.  WTF??  I guess that was too far of a fall, but whatever.  It's been auto-saving pretty regularly, so I'm sure I'll just jump back a few minutes, right?  Nope...it restarts me back inside my hut with none of the exploration, quests, or items I've done over the last hour.  Again, WTF??  I try to load up the last auto-save, and it takes me to the same spot.  Basically my first hour was wiped out...awesome.

So I replayed the first town (zipping through the quests rather than exploring) and headed off outside the city.  My pawn starts shouting "Goblin!" and I'm all excited to fight my first real enemy.  I look all over and don't see a thing.  After a couple minutes of searching I finally find said goblin...stuck walking in place behind a tree.  I take a few swipes at him, and he just continues his walking animation like no one's there.  So first enemy = bugged...got it.

Make it to the encampment and get the quest to go kill some sort of big bad.  Walk out the gate and encounter said big bad.  He wipes me out the first time because I'm left simply swinging at him and hoping something happens.  After a restart, my pawn decides to finally give me some helpful advice and mentions that I should go for the legs.  Thanks dude, that info would have been helpful the first time through.  We have a great battle, with me climbing all over his back and I finally bring him down.  As he falls, however, both his head and my body clip right through the hill he fell onto, making it look like I buried his head in the sand.  So now I'm 2 for 2 on enemies with graphic/environmental bugs.  Go back in to the encampment, jump into some sort of Rift thing, and am now starting at a whole list of random pawns with characteristics and abilities that I have no clue what they mean.  I'm feeling pretty damn lost and irritated at this point, so I went and played D3 for a while.

I'm hoping it all "clicks", as I'm just alternating between annoyed and completely confused at this point.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 02, 2012, 07:19:04 PM »

you ever think about reading a manual?  Most of what you are complaining about is either normal in 99% of games (like dead bodies clipping stuff) or is explained either in game or in the manual.

I'll have to look at the beginning of the game again, I don't recall a quest to look for holy books either.  Though it's possible I just missed that quest since I headed to the encampment pretty quickly.  I had to come back for the well for example.

I feel comfortable saying that this game might just not be for you, since it does require you to be able to figure some stuff out on your own just by paying attention and there is very little hand holding.  I found that part of the charm much like Dark Souls.  It gives you enough to not leave you in the dark, but leaves enough unknown to figure stuff out.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 02, 2012, 07:26:20 PM »

I remember that quest. I got it from the priest in the cathedral in the starter town. It is on the roof. Didn't have any trouble finding it.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 02, 2012, 07:33:19 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on June 02, 2012, 07:26:20 PM

I remember that quest. I got it from the priest in the cathedral in the starter town. It is on the roof. Didn't have any trouble finding it.

I figured that to be the case, but there was nothing there.  Maybe it was just a bug...I'm apparently pretty good at coming across those in DD.  smile

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 02, 2012, 07:35:05 PM »

Yeah, you need to look on the roofs for the book instead - try climbing over the small wall right beside the church. Its at the edge between two roofs

A new one
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 02, 2012, 07:40:08 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 02, 2012, 07:19:04 PM

you ever think about reading a manual?  Most of what you are complaining about is either normal in 99% of games (like dead bodies clipping stuff) or is explained either in game or in the manual.

Maybe it's "normal" (I'd debate that, but it's neither here nor there), but to encounter a whole bunch of bugs in the first hour of any game sours me on it pretty quickly.  I'm hoping it was simply dumb (bad) luck.

I feel comfortable saying that this game might just not be for you, since it does require you to be able to figure some stuff out on your own just by paying attention and there is very little hand holding.  I found that part of the charm much like Dark Souls.  It gives you enough to not leave you in the dark, but leaves enough unknown to figure stuff out.

You may be right.  I don't have a ton of patience for trying to piece together either overly vague or complex gaming mechanics anymore.  

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 03, 2012, 12:36:17 AM »

I was a Strider when i fought that 'big bad',he was nearly dead anyway when i started the fight because of all the other soldiers,so i just held back and arrowed his eyes(oh yeah,its a Cyclops),i didn't get a scratch thumbsup

Gratch,the first few hours or so really tests you to get used to the game it has a semi-steep learning curve really(just look at all my complaining on the past pages),but once you learn everything,you'll be loving it

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 03, 2012, 01:06:38 AM »

The intro area is not the best part of the game.  Once you get just a little further you can hire 2 player made pawns, and then things start to get interesting.  There are a lot of quests, most of them are not mandatory.  There are already plenty of youtube vids of the more frustrating side and main quests, so the help resources are there.  I had to watch a vid showing where the grimoire was.    

Edited to add: It looks like you're already at the spot where you can hire your 2 pawns.  That would be my first order of business.  Pick 2 pawn classes that will round out your group, and worry about the details of stats/equipment/skills/personalities later down the road.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 01:08:43 AM by Roguetad » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #357 on: June 03, 2012, 03:58:06 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on June 02, 2012, 04:59:54 PM

Heh, I'm still using him actually, I just had to send him back when I realized I was level 21 and he was still level 8.  slywink  I immediately hired him again so I could get him at his then current level.

As for the 3 stars, well I guess I just don't have a thing for little old half-bald men.  Tongue  I'd say he has much improved now that he has some gear after I got the upgraded version.  But still, he's a little old man. 

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 03, 2012, 04:04:37 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 03, 2012, 03:58:06 AM

As for the 3 stars, well I guess I just don't have a thing for little old half-bald men.  Tongue  I'd say he has much improved now that he has some gear after I got the upgraded version.  But still, he's a little old man. 

But he's my little old man!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #359 on: June 03, 2012, 04:04:58 AM »

After maxing myself out as a Fighter and my pawn as a Strider, I decided to change my class to be a Warrior and her into a Ranger.  Of course, right after doing so, after ~25 hours of being the good guy, I got thrown into jail.  Three times! 

The first time was because I just had to try out my nifty new giant two-handed sword while I happened to be standing in the middle of the market square.  It seems the guards don't take kindly to me accidentally smacking peasants with my sword.  Oops, my bad.

Then after getting out of jail I immediately took a quest to escort a little brat around town.  She was walking really slowly and boring the crap out of me so I thought "hey, I wonder if I can pick her up and run her around town instead?"  Nope.  Back to the slammer, Mr Kidnapper.

So I bribe my way out of the joint again and on my way back to the Inn I saw a poor man sitting on the ground with a sad story.  I thought this would be a great chance to try out my charity bag of gold (or whatever it's called).  The description says that it allows you to throw money, so I figure I'll throw some money for the poor guy to have.  Except it throws 10,000 gold at him, and knocks him on his ass.  And the guards cart me away again...    retard  crybaby

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: