http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 09:25:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PS3] Dragon's Dogma - Dark Arisen out!  (Read 41267 times)
USMC Kato
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 24, 2012, 12:55:35 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 24, 2012, 08:02:40 AM

You should go double mage, double strider and hire Hark  icon_twisted

After every battle Hark's pawn berates us about how much we suck and how much of a noob we all are  icon_wink

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 24, 2012, 01:11:59 PM »

I was doing the mission under the Pawn guild and Kato's pawn The Grey decided he'd take the shortcut to the bottom and jump down.  He then hung out down there for a bit complaining, before going back to the Rift and leaving us to work through the rest of the dungeon without him.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: May 24, 2012, 01:29:40 PM »

I had my first encounter with a troll in the wild.  Taking it down was such an epic fight and is where the combat model really shined for me.  Too bad that rotten little pawn of CeeKay's ninja'ed all the best loot.

USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 24, 2012, 01:37:05 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on May 24, 2012, 01:11:59 PM

I was doing the mission under the Pawn guild and Kato's pawn The Grey decided he'd take the shortcut to the bottom and jump down.  He then hung out down there for a bit complaining, before going back to the Rift and leaving us to work through the rest of the dungeon without him.

crybaby he really should be better now. I bought 3000 worth of behavior potions so he shouldn't be scouting out ahead and falling off cliffs. Trying to make him a guardian healer/buff and nuker from the back of the formation.

Semper Fidelis

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 24, 2012, 03:06:15 PM »

Quote from: Caine on May 24, 2012, 01:29:40 PM

I had my first encounter with a troll in the wild.  Taking it down was such an epic fight and is where the combat model really shined for me.  Too bad that rotten little pawn of CeeKay's ninja'ed all the best loot.

You can get that loot off of him.  Hit Select on PS3 (probably Back on XBox) and then you can scroll over to pawns.  Find the item and you can choose to give it to another character.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 24, 2012, 07:48:53 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 24, 2012, 03:06:15 PM

You can get that loot off of him.  Hit Select on PS3 (probably Back on XBox) and then you can scroll over to pawns.  Find the item and you can choose to give it to another character.

dammit, she's still doing that?  on the plus side any stuff that is picked up by a pawn should also go back to your storage chest after you dismiss the pawn.

I dismissed The Grey last night because I wanted to have equal levels in my pawns and he was still 12.  when he re-appeared in the Pawn room he was 20, which puts him a bit too high of a level.  I'm trying not to cheese my way through by bringing in pawns more than one level higher than my character.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 24, 2012, 08:11:18 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 24, 2012, 07:48:53 PM

dammit, she's still doing that?  on the plus side any stuff that is picked up by a pawn should also go back to your storage chest after you dismiss the pawn.

I dismissed The Grey last night because I wanted to have equal levels in my pawns and he was still 12.  when he re-appeared in the Pawn room he was 20, which puts him a bit too high of a level.  I'm trying not to cheese my way through by bringing in pawns more than one level higher than my character.

that's not really how the game is designed fwiw.  All the vids I've seen with devs explainining the pawn system they mention you should pick pawns a fair amount ahead of you so you can keep them around awhile without paying again for them.  Since only your pawn levels up with you, you kinda pick pawns to 'grow into' as you go.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 24, 2012, 08:45:53 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 24, 2012, 08:11:18 PM

that's not really how the game is designed fwiw.  All the vids I've seen with devs explainining the pawn system they mention you should pick pawns a fair amount ahead of you so you can keep them around awhile without paying again for them.  Since only your pawn levels up with you, you kinda pick pawns to 'grow into' as you go.

that's odd, I have yet to actually pay for a pawn if they're close to my level-  they've all been 0 RC so far.  I did run into a 'local' pawn that required RC, but she was level 20.  is level 20 where they start costing RC?

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 24, 2012, 09:13:57 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 24, 2012, 08:45:53 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on May 24, 2012, 08:11:18 PM

that's odd, I have yet to actually pay for a pawn if they're close to my level-  they've all been 0 RC so far.  I did run into a 'local' pawn that required RC, but she was level 20.  is level 20 where they start costing RC?

they only cost rift crystals if they are above your level
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 24, 2012, 09:15:08 PM »

Also, it's kinda like saying 'I don't want to pay for that really awesome sword in the shop, don't want to cheese my way through this content'  ninja

Pawns are just equipment that has a different currency imo
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: May 25, 2012, 03:29:08 AM »

I took that advice and went back and grabbed Kato's pawn and someone else's, a higher level fighter. 

I now need to figure out if I bit off more than I can handle with some wicked snake heads in a pit.  not having a backup save game from before is going to suck big time if I don't get the hell out of there.   icon_confused

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 25, 2012, 03:40:12 AM »

Quote from: Caine on May 25, 2012, 03:29:08 AM

I now need to figure out if I bit off more than I can handle with some wicked snake heads in a pit.  not having a backup save game from before is going to suck big time if I don't get the hell out of there.   icon_confused

I had the same issue, but I selected 'restart from chekpoint' which put me back at my last save from resting at an inn instead of putting me at the autosave where the snake heads start appearing.

that is if you're talking about Everfall.

Because I can,
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 25, 2012, 05:08:30 AM »

I was chatting with my buddy tonight who was complaining about getting his ass kicked around the capitol city (Gran Soren I think?). Turns out he skipped the areas around the Encampment and went right to Gran Soren. So FYI for anyone wanting a little grind to level up, hang a left when you leave the staging area.

I found some rad stuff down there.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 25, 2012, 05:43:33 AM »

Quote from: WorkingMike on May 25, 2012, 05:08:30 AM

I was chatting with my buddy tonight who was complaining about getting his ass kicked around the capitol city (Gran Soren I think?). Turns out he skipped the areas around the Encampment and went right to Gran Soren. So FYI for anyone wanting a little grind to level up, hang a left when you leave the staging area.

do you mean the path beyond the encampment with the wolves and then boulder?  I ended up skipping that because I was getting whomped after the boulder but I really should head back that way.

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 25, 2012, 08:31:28 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 25, 2012, 03:40:12 AM

I had the same issue, but I selected 'restart from chekpoint' which put me back at my last save from resting at an inn instead of putting me at the autosave where the snake heads start appearing.

Everfall spoiler
Spoiler for Hiden:
Dont' fight the heads, just run.  Once they start popping up everywhere you're done and can get the hell out
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: May 25, 2012, 01:30:33 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 25, 2012, 08:31:28 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 25, 2012, 03:40:12 AM

Everfall spoiler
Spoiler for Hiden:
Dont' fight the heads, just run.  Once they start popping up everywhere you're done and can get the hell out
Spoiler for Hiden:

This was pretty frustrating as I was trying to get out with the pawns and they were constantly getting knocked out.  Eventually, I got so annoyed that I left them behind and just kept going.  Turns out that is the right way to do that section.

I went back with enough money to get better gear for both myself and my pawn and now we are doing much better.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 25, 2012, 03:49:24 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 24, 2012, 09:15:08 PM

Also, it's kinda like saying 'I don't want to pay for that really awesome sword in the shop, don't want to cheese my way through this content'  ninja

But does that equipment scale properly?  In the average RPG, access to the really awesome sword in the shop is restricted by a specific level requirement or an economy that ensures players can't afford it until a reasonable point in the game.  Even then it can be hit and miss -- Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning has been widely criticized for giving players eight different ways to achieve immortality by the 30% mark.

Are the costs and capabilities of high level pawns balanced with the rest of the game, or can a Level 10 hero start rolling with a Level 50 crew who do all the work by themselves?  It's a serious question: I honestly don't know.

-Autistic Angel
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 25, 2012, 05:45:06 PM »

Yes, it's immediately outside the encampment, a path on your left. There is a mine there and a path that goes up the hill and down into a forest. I think it's intended as a starting area, but for some reason the game tries to lead you right to the capitol.

At lvl 9 I found some great equipment down there

Quote from: CeeKay on May 25, 2012, 05:43:33 AM

do you mean the path beyond the encampment with the wolves and then boulder?  I ended up skipping that because I was getting whomped after the boulder but I really should head back that way.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 25, 2012, 07:24:05 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on May 25, 2012, 03:49:24 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on May 24, 2012, 09:15:08 PM

But does that equipment scale properly?  In the average RPG, access to the really awesome sword in the shop is restricted by a specific level requirement or an economy that ensures players can't afford it until a reasonable point in the game.  Even then it can be hit and miss -- Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning has been widely criticized for giving players eight different ways to achieve immortality by the 30% mark.

Are the costs and capabilities of high level pawns balanced with the rest of the game, or can a Level 10 hero start rolling with a Level 50 crew who do all the work by themselves?  It's a serious question: I honestly don't know.

-Autistic Angel

It's balanced in part by the rate you aquire rift crystals to buy a pawn.  There is no way other than paying cash on the MS Market that you could get even one lvl 50 pawn at lvl 10, let alone fill your party.  (plus your own pawn is your same lvl regardless).  If you start getting too high above your lvl the cost goes up dramatically.  I had pawns that were low 20's at 10 and it was quite affordable. Now that I'm 24, I can't afford the same jump of 10 lvls nearly as easy.  Then again I don't have to because since I'm playing with friend's pawns now, they are all slackers of lower level than me.  icon_twisted
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 25, 2012, 08:10:36 PM »

Guys - Feel free to hire Darius, the insanely cool old-guy mage who will help you out in many many interesting ways..ahem....

Hark, Id use yours, but he's lvl 24 for hoods sake! Did anyone here create Yo? She's cool!

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 25, 2012, 08:38:30 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 25, 2012, 08:10:36 PM

Guys - Feel free to hire Darius, the insanely cool old-guy mage who will help you out in many many interesting ways..ahem....

Hark, Id use yours, but he's lvl 24 for hoods sake! Did anyone here create Yo? She's cool!

first pawn I hired was level 23, it's not that far off as you may think
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: May 25, 2012, 09:20:57 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 25, 2012, 08:38:30 PM

Quote from: Razgon on May 25, 2012, 08:10:36 PM

first pawn I hired was level 23, it's not that far off as you may think

they level up quickly.  Mine is already level 16 and I've only played at night two days so far.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 25, 2012, 09:29:17 PM »

Aha I've only gotten the game today, so I have no idea other than its fun.

Now - who left a smelly fish with my pawn?!?!

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 25, 2012, 10:28:09 PM »

so just started....typing in a name and choosing a moniker,what's the difference in the game?,i know a Moniker is basically a nickname,just not sure how it will work in the game and what's the point of me coming up with a name as well

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 25, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 25, 2012, 10:28:09 PM

so just started....typing in a name and choosing a moniker,what's the difference in the game?,i know a Moniker is basically a nickname,just not sure how it will work in the game and what's the point of me coming up with a name as well

I believe the second one only shows up if someone has parental controls turned on.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 25, 2012, 10:39:15 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 25, 2012, 10:34:00 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 25, 2012, 10:28:09 PM

I believe the second one only shows up if someone has parental controls turned on.

Oh,i see...weird

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 26, 2012, 12:27:35 AM »

If anyone needs a tank my pawn Pip is a pretty good one.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 26, 2012, 01:28:38 AM »

Quote from: WorkingMike on May 25, 2012, 05:45:06 PM

Yes, it's immediately outside the encampment, a path on your left. There is a mine there and a path that goes up the hill and down into a forest. I think it's intended as a starting area, but for some reason the game tries to lead you right to the capitol.

went back and got whomped again by the same bandits.  for some reason the pawn AI goes wonky in that section-  I have Winter, The Grey and Lucita.  Winter rushes in instead of trying to take out the ranged bandits like she says she is doing, Lucita keeps backing away from the enemies and The Grey has outright disappeared a couple of times.  I think I just need to grab some warriors and roll in there.

Because I can,
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 26, 2012, 02:01:20 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on May 26, 2012, 12:27:35 AM

If anyone needs a tank my pawn Pip is a pretty good one.

Yep, Pip is pretty good. Warrior pawns are the only ones that grab opponents for a death blow

Semper Fidelis

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 26, 2012, 02:59:23 AM »

I threw Hark off a cliff and fired my other two pawns  icon_twisted

Spoiler request from someone with the guide
Spoiler for Hiden:
How can I fight a ghost while solo as an assassin?
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 26, 2012, 03:12:27 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 26, 2012, 02:59:23 AM

I threw Hark off a cliff and fired my other two pawns  icon_twisted

Spoiler request from someone with the guide
Spoiler for Hiden:
How can I fight a ghost while solo as an assassin?

I'll give it a look.  As you probably know you need magic or an enchanted weapon.

Spoiler for Hiden:
its like fighting a hydra (after the encampment one) you need fire enchantment on your weapons on the severed necks so the heads won't grow back

Semper Fidelis

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 26, 2012, 03:56:53 AM »

That's what I thought.  Irritating since I looted one, then forgot to save, then died.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 26, 2012, 06:53:32 AM »

I have only been playing for a bit and just been running around town and breaking into people's homes to steal their stuff,but it feels at the moment a lot like Nier(certainly no bad thing)

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 26, 2012, 08:06:42 AM »

I noticed they have special pawns available, and suddenly my RC has jumped from 1800 to 38436.......

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 26, 2012, 02:42:03 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 26, 2012, 06:53:32 AM

I have only been playing for a bit and just been running around town and breaking into people's homes to steal their stuff,but it feels at the moment a lot like Nier(certainly no bad thing)

I've been getting a Nier vibe as well.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 26, 2012, 05:16:51 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 26, 2012, 02:42:03 PM

Curse you people.  I've been trying hard to keep this one on the back burner until D3 and Xenoblade are done.  Making Neir comparisons just simply isn't fair.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 26, 2012, 06:55:54 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 26, 2012, 05:16:51 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 26, 2012, 02:42:03 PM

Curse you people.  I've been trying hard to keep this one on the back burner until D3 and Xenoblade are done.  Making Neir comparisons just simply isn't fair.

so gameplay wise the style is very..... icon_cool  Nier?

Because I can,
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 26, 2012, 07:08:58 PM »

Oh wow, now Doopri is playing this too!  I just looked and he's already Level 12 eek

I wonder how this game is selling overall.  Despite the lack of advertising, my Friends list activity sure makes it look like a hit!

-Autistic Angel
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 26, 2012, 10:20:10 PM »

I've heard people had trouble with it, but it was pretty easy for me for some reason. I think I was level 8 when I headed that way. There are some tough mobs past the bandits, but with some creative fighting they are doable.

Quote from: CeeKay on May 26, 2012, 01:28:38 AM

Quote from: WorkingMike on May 25, 2012, 05:45:06 PM

went back and got whomped again by the same bandits.  for some reason the pawn AI goes wonky in that section-  I have Winter, The Grey and Lucita.  Winter rushes in instead of trying to take out the ranged bandits like she says she is doing, Lucita keeps backing away from the enemies and The Grey has outright disappeared a couple of times.  I think I just need to grab some warriors and roll in there.
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 26, 2012, 10:39:27 PM »

Played a bit this morning, and decided to change my Pawn (The Grey) from Mage to Sorcerer. I'm around lvl 24 now and the extra power and DPS from the class makes a big difference. A Sorc can still do weapon enchants but no heals. However I have enough mats stocked up that I made a bunch potions and herbs that I don't miss it all too much.

Semper Fidelis

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: