http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 02:51:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PC/PS3] Dead Space 3  (Read 4192 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 08, 2013, 02:49:22 AM »

Quote from: Roman on February 08, 2013, 01:53:32 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on February 07, 2013, 04:27:18 PM

About 5 hours in now and I'd say it's no more action packed than any of the previous DS games.  It pretty much has the exact same formula as the other two.

Couldn't agree more. This game is DS plain and simple. Really liking it now more and more. It says I am about 26% in and 7.5 hrs thus far - I like to explore smile

I think that counts how many difficulty levels you've completed that mission on and how many things you've found like audio logs, artifacts etc. not just how far into the story.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: February 08, 2013, 09:16:26 AM »

I do think the game is different, and little bit more action focused.

However, unlike the very vocal group who are attributing some ineffable loss of dead space-ness, I don't think the change is anywhere near that large.

I think this comes from the overall horror fan crowd's aversion to any change at all, and all they want is for nothing to ever be resolved or confronted.

That said, there's still a lot of story so the game could take a drastic turn for the worse, but most of the negative reaction seems like an overall reaction from what I've played.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 09, 2013, 03:31:44 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 06, 2013, 03:06:11 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on February 06, 2013, 03:01:51 PM

I was a little blown away by the amount of DLC available for this... $5 for this bot upgrade, $5 for that pack, $15 for a combo pack and that's not counting Awakened coming in March.  icon_neutral

make use of this quickly

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-06-dead-space-3-item-glitch-spotted-negates-use-of-micro-transactions

EA says this is not a glitch

UPDATE: EA's PR sent over an e-mail to clarify that this isn't actually a glitch:

The resource-earning mechanic in Dead Space 3 is not a glitch. We have no plans to issue a patch to change this aspect of the game. We encourage players to explore the game and discover the areas where resources respawn for free. We've deliberately designed Dead Space 3 to allow players to harvest resources by playing through the game. For those that wish to accumulate upgrades instantly, we have enabled an optional system for them to buy the resources at a minimal cost ($1-$3).

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 14, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »

I find myself getting burned out on this before even finishing.  I've been doing the side missions, but they add on a lot of time to the game.  In DS2 they said they wanted to get away from Isaac being an errand boy for everyone else, but in this game he's back to errand boy.  I don't think the action or setting has anything to do with it, they just made it less fun than 2 was.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2013, 08:53:03 PM »

Finished the game the other day and on the whole I really enjoyed it. I have always liked every DS game and this one is exception.

While at first I thought that the crafting was a little too 'difficult' to master I cam to really rely on it.

Sure there were frustrating points - every game has them. For example:
Spoiler for Hiden:
very near the end - in fact leading up to the final battle when you are racing along the path while the moon is coming apart I was constantly dying! why? Because I failed to understand that the path behind me was breaking apart and I did not have enough time to beat the monsters before the time expired!! Very frustrating.

Anyhoo - despite that I am playing newgame+ and liking that I am a killing machine now!

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 05, 2013, 12:09:54 PM »

Series cancelled???

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 05, 2013, 01:01:09 PM »

this guys reply on the Eurogamer article pretty much says it all
LR100:
Oh yes, because it's OUR fault that the game didn't do well. You crowbarred co-op in, diluted the horror elements, added in human enemies and stamped microtransactions all over the goddamn game. We didn't like that, ergo the whole series is fucked. Thanks EA. Instead of admitting mistakes, or say you'll take all that shit out for the next game, you just throw your toys out of the pram and cancel the series

Typical EA,closing Visceral Games as well because of this farce makes me wonder how long some other Studios have,Bioware San Francisco was closed a week or two ago

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: March 05, 2013, 02:30:08 PM »

WAH WAH WAH on the whole human enemies deal. Sorry, but the series was actually headed in that direction. It's just the handling of these specific human enemies (unintelligent cannon fodder) that was poor.

EA has reached the point where its own bloated weight works against its own success
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 05, 2013, 02:47:48 PM »

I thought that is what he meant that the human enemies were different from the Necromorphs(or whatever they are called),and therefore no strategy was needed when killing them

Actually,am i getting this mixed up with Aliens CM with their Human enemies?

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 05, 2013, 05:09:56 PM »

rumours of Dead Space's Demise are false,says Studio

"The reports of our death were greatly exaggerated," said Dino Ignacio, a member of the Dead Space development team, over Twitter. Another Visceral Games developer, writing on NeoGAF, called the rumor "completely false based on my knowledge."

An EA spokesperson at first told Kotaku that the company wouldn't comment on rumor or speculation, but later added: "While we have not announced sales data for Dead Space 3, we are proud of the game and it remains an important IP for EA."

Oh well,LOL

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: March 05, 2013, 05:16:02 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 05, 2013, 05:09:56 PM

"The reports of our death were greatly exaggerated," said Dino Ignacio, a member of the Dead Space development team, over Twitter. Another Visceral Games developer, writing on NeoGAF, called the rumor "completely false based on my knowledge."

An EA spokesperson at first told Kotaku that the company wouldn't comment on rumor or speculation, but later added: "While we have not announced sales data for Dead Space 3, we are proud of the game and it remains an important IP for EA."

Oh well,LOL

That's what I call evasive answers. Notice that while they pretend that they're answering the question, they're actually twisting their answers slightly so that they really aren't. This indicates that there's more to the rumors than they are willing to admit at this point.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 05, 2013, 05:23:44 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 05, 2013, 05:16:02 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 05, 2013, 05:09:56 PM

Oh well,LOL

That's what I call evasive answers. Notice that while they pretend that they're answering the question, they're actually twisting their answers slightly so that they really aren't. This indicates that there's more to the rumors than they are willing to admit at this point.

It's indicating that making any sort of PR statement is a logistical nightmare that can come back to bite you in the legal ass somewhere down the road.  That road may end after Dead Space 5, but if someone said just the wrong thing at this point, it could give some precedent that blah, blah, blah.

Or at least it indicates that the fear of this scenario is very strong the higher up the corporate ladder you go.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 08, 2013, 02:33:13 AM »

For whatever reason I got distracted from DS3 when it came out but I am finally working through it. I've got around 12 hours in, so enough to give impressions.

First, is this or is this not an action game? Well, it sort of is and sort of isn't. Except for a few bits it's generally Isaac alone against necromorphs. However, given than the necromorphs are now all like '28 days later' rabid zombies and the ammo is plentiful, there is definitely a shooting gallery feel at times. It has a definite different feel from the other games, especially DS1.

As Leo mentioned, Isaac is once again doing everyone's work for them. I'm surprised they don't call him 'Ramirez'.

I think the crafting system is fantastic. You can make any weapon you want buffed any way you want. However, they botched it in a couple ways. First, they cut the number of weapons you can carry from 4 to 2, meaning it's really hard to experiment. Second, it's pretty easy to make an uber-weapon, so there's really no reason to switch between weapons even situationally. I built up my plasma cutter so it's got max damage, super-quick reload, and decent clip size and fire rate. It kills lots of stuff in one hit and takes care of most anything else as quickly as needed. In my other slot I carry this cool scoped burst fire rifle with huge clips that I built with a custom frame I found. But I never use it. I'm always looking for an opportunity to try it, but there's really no point, because it's really only good for human enemies and the plasma cutter does a headshot just as well.

The side missions are definitely a bright spot. These are full-fledged missions with story (albeit usually in text form) and mini-puzzles, are lengthy and offer some of the best loot in the game. I'm impressed by the amount of work that went into these, something you don't normally get in a shooter. A side mission also had one of the better story bits in the game -
Spoiler for Hiden:
The "Reaper"

From a character standpoint
Spoiler for Hiden:
Nelson was a total annoying prick. The best part about this being a Dead Space game was that when he died I could stomp his body to pieces  icon_twisted. I'm not really liking the Danik character, mostly because he came completely out of nowhere. Who the heck is this guy? I guess there is a prequel graphic novel, but that's not very helpful if you haven't read it. They should have established some Unitology leadership in DS2, because all he seems like is some random jerk in a fur coat. Isaac, on the other hand is pretty good in this game between his run-ins with Nelson (actually, he basically just calls everyone an asshole for a lot of the game lol), his tension with Ellie and his guilt over losing the female scientist. Ellie is ok, but the fact that she's cracking jokes pretty shortly after she finds out her boyfriend made a deal with the Unitologists and was gunned down by her ex-boyfriend feels a little off. Carver is likable enough as the story progresses, but I assume he gets more of the spotlight in co-op.

Hopefully I'll have final thoughts soon. I'm currently
Spoiler for Hiden:
putting the slices of the body back together
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 02:38:02 AM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 09, 2013, 12:00:48 AM »

And...done. 17 hours, 90% completion (completion % doesn't count difficulty levels)

I enjoyed the game well enough, but if you force me to have an opinion, I'd say I don't need another Dead Space if it's like this one. The "enter a room, get mobbed" started to get very old. It had its moments, but it lacked the cinematic scenes from Dead Space 2 and the tension of Dead Space 1. If you know that a ton of monsters will jump out of the walls of almost every room you go in, it loses a lot of the effect. There also seemed to be a lack of enemy types and a lack of elaborate boss battles that the series is known for. Even the Stalkers, which were so effective in DS2, were pretty much reduced to cannon fodder that hid a bit before finally rushing you.

Regarding the story/lore
Spoiler for Hiden:
What a letdown - what we got here was one long sidestory, really. This was an alien planet that had it's own run-in with the marker and then shut it down before it could do too much damage. There was some character development, but after this game, we wind up in the same place we were after DS2: Isaac and Elly are together (even though Isaac should be dead - give me a break), there are still Scientologists and we know nothing, zero, zilch new about the history of the marker.

I'll give Visceral credit for putting in a whole lot of game modes for people who are interested - classic, hardcore, survival and even another if you get through hardcore.

But overall, with the story, the repetitive combat and gameplay and the weaknesses in the crafting system, this one is a pretty big disappointment.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: