http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 11:19:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PC/PS3] Dead Space 3  (Read 5146 times)
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2013, 06:56:16 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on January 29, 2013, 05:04:20 AM

Thanks for the info, Turtle. I was debating on skipping DS3 but now I'm back on board. I'll be getting it on PC as well, I'd love to play it coop.

What's your origin info? I'm getting it on PC too, and it'd be nice to actually try out co-op without dealing with the plebeians.

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
MonkeyFinger
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2013, 02:33:09 PM »

My "Dev Team Edition" (sans game) arrived yesterday. Not sure what I was thinking but... it's here!  icon_razz

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2013, 03:33:43 PM »

My origin into is Vertrucio, although it's rarely on. But, I will be playing it like mad on Tuesday, I deliberately cleared my schedule for that day. slywink

Dev team edition? Just searched it.

WHAAAAA?

You paid for that?!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 03:38:34 PM by Turtle » Logged
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2013, 03:45:19 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on February 01, 2013, 02:33:09 PM

My "Dev Team Edition" (sans game) arrived yesterday. Not sure what I was thinking but... it's here!  icon_razz

If you start seeing dead relatives, make sure to bury that marker statue.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2013, 01:26:54 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 01, 2013, 03:45:19 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on February 01, 2013, 02:33:09 PM

If you start seeing dead relatives, make sure to bury that marker statue.

I was wondering what the heck was going on...

-craig

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2013, 12:32:25 PM »

Burying it won't cut it.

You have to MAKE US WHOLE!

icon_twisted
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2013, 10:00:35 PM »

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2013, 05:12:44 PM »

Had to use up the rest of my vacation time so I have the next 2 Mondays off and should have moved them to Tuesdays because of game release dates but I was able to start playing Dead Space 3 early. 
Spoiler for Hiden:
Who knew that changing the date on your computer would work with Origin.

The game starts off with some great set pieces and the action has been thrilling, I've said awesome a couple of times so far. It  still has that Dead Space feel which is great.  The graphics on the PC look fine, I am using downsampling so they are really sharp.  There are quite a few graphic options and one for FXAA(Console) which is strange.  I'm still not sure about the co-op yet and hopefully will give it a try later this week.   

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2013, 05:58:54 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 03, 2013, 10:00:35 PM

icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2013, 04:29:13 AM »

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/02/04/dead-space-3-your-questions-answered/

@tehSeruh: What was the inspiration behind making Dead Space 3 more action-based than the previous games? For example, taking cover, rolling, and universal ammo.

John Calhoun, Associate Producer of Dead Space 3: The overall pacing of Dead Space 3 – that is, the ratio of high intensity action sections and lower intensity suspension moments – is actually comparable to the gameplay that was established in Dead Space 1 and 2. We don’t really consider DS3 more (or less) action-based than previous games. That said, we did make Isaac a more capable protagonist in this game, including his ability to crouch and take cover. These features were added to level the playing field between Isaac and Dead Space 3′s new human enemies, who are tactically advanced and could otherwise overpower the player.

BTW I see in the comments that the PSN download will be available starting 12:01 AM Pacific time.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 04:35:42 AM by leo8877 » Logged
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2013, 05:51:57 AM »

Here's the thing, I'm actually okay with human enemies and controls that better enable you fighting human enemies, such as crouching behind cover. It's not a sticky cover system. The story was clearly headed in the direction where you would fight humans, and it has a nice effect of having weaponry that you use to fight humans, and weaponry used against necromorphs. But also you get to see others trying to deal with the madness.

That said, it seems like they make Normal difficulty give you a lot of stuff, so try it on the one step above normal if you like resource rarity.

Also, I'm only a very short ways into the game though, so we'll see how it all holds up.

Lastly, if you're playing on PC, make sure you go into the custom options and turn all the details up. Even on high detail they're missing some features.

Edit: PC info. No save anywhere, just checkpoints. Thankfully they're pretty frequent, but as we all know, there is bound to be a spot where they forget.

Very annoyed that they seem to have reduced the FOV for the game so I feel like i have tunnel vision more than the previous games. Anyone else experiencing this?

Edit 2: Oh and playing this right now in case you were wondering. The basic necromorph behavior is definitely much more interesting and varied. It probably won't get to us who are into Dead Space, but it's actually pretty cool, and scary.

EDIT 3:
To Adjust FOV, edit the system.txt config file in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\EA Games\Dead Space 3 directory.
Change the "Window.FOVScale = 1.0" to anywhere from default to 1.4, or higher if you have a really wide screen.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 07:02:23 AM by Turtle » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2013, 05:04:21 PM »

Review Scores Roundup

CVG - 7.3
Eurogamer - 7/10
OXM - 7
Digital Spy - 4/5
Edge - 7
Polygon - 9.5
GameSpot - 8.0
Kotaku - Should You Play This Game: Solo=NO/Co-Op=Yes
VideoGamer - 5/10
Official PlayStation Magazine - 7
Game Informer - 9.75
The Escapist - 4/5
Joystiq - 4.5/5
Destructoid - 8/10
God Is A Geek - 8/10
GamingNexus - 9.5
IGN - 7.8

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2013, 05:08:45 PM »

The review embargo lifted - combining the 360 and PS3 reviews it's sitting at an 80 on Metacritic. That's about what I was expecting, I have no interest in the direction the series took after EA decided it needed to be a "5 million selling franchise". It's sad how so many big-budget games are being forced to homogenize towards the "action" genre because of the financial pressure all the publishers are feeling right now.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2013, 05:38:21 PM »

Interesting. Only VideoGamer seems to truly dislike it.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2013, 06:55:35 PM »

I ready Polygon (9.5) and Eurogamer's (7) review. Polygon glossed over the details, as usual, but Eurogamer gave a coherent explanation about how the emphasis on more action has affected the game.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2013, 07:24:42 PM »

I have the game in hand but probably won't be able to fire it up until a little later.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2013, 08:12:45 PM »

GameTrailers gave it 7.7, but spent almost the entire video review being negative about the game. These scores are about as low as they get with such a high-profile title, and I suspect EA is far from happy with them. If there's a Dead Space 4, it's either going to be far more like DS1, or something entirely different.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2013, 08:21:35 PM »

I am a little bit disappointed in the action focus, there are already to many games that do it better. Loved DS1 & 2 and DS3 was going to be a no brainer for me until I played the demo

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2013, 08:26:39 PM »

I wonder if they did themselves a disservice releasing a more action oriented demo (although I remember the first 2 being like that as well)?  Especially since the Dev team has had to spend pretty much all the time talking about how it's the same dead space and not a COD shooter now. 

I liked the demo well enough and have hopes that 3 will be a good game.  I'm always down for more markerheads!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2013, 08:57:48 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 05, 2013, 08:26:39 PM

I wonder if they did themselves a disservice releasing a more action oriented demo (although I remember the first 2 being like that as well)?  Especially since the Dev team has had to spend pretty much all the time talking about how it's the same dead space and not a COD shooter now. 

I liked the demo well enough and have hopes that 3 will be a good game.  I'm always down for more markerheads!

I haven't read/watched any of the other reviews, but the GameTrailers review points out that you've always got plenty of ammo and health in DS3, and that the game constantly (and to a tiresome degree, supposedly) goes for the jump scare with its monster appearances, with "hordes" attacking from every direction at once. That sure doesn't sound like the Dead Space I know and love. Not even slightly. Sure, DS1 had jump scares too, but it didn't rely on them in the same way, and they weren't what made the game tense.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2013, 08:59:48 PM »

This is going to be my first serious attempt at the Dead Space universe. Back when Dead Space 1 did come out, I did manage to pick up Dead Space 1 and gave it a half hearted attempt, I didn't get very far. The game was very freaky so much so (me being  a huge chicken) was not able to get very far before being seriously creeped out. I think what pushed me to get this is the co op.  When game companies actually put forth the effort and support to encourage co op gaming I feel obliged to support them in turn. Truth be told co op games have always tended to be my favorite mode of play, by far. Not to say I'm opposed to death match or team deathmatch but I'd take co op over both of those modes.

Well anyways I will attempt Dead Space 3, but if anyone is like minded and would like to attempt in co op this let me know, I'd love to have some company fighting off the hordes of Necromorphs and their misguided human scum comrades. My origin name is "Brolomite" send me an invite if you see me on.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2013, 09:13:14 PM »

Played in about 45 minutes. Definitely a mix of action and traditional Dead Space so far. R3 for crouch to use cover is awkward - if they were going to allow use of cover they should have done it like every other game this generation. It doesn't help that you now have to hold R3 down to get your path.

Personally, I don't really enjoy being on edge for an entire game, so I am fine if the game isn't as nerve-wracking as the first two. I understand why others might look at it negatively, but sometimes games change, and people have differing opinions of those changes. I love the cinematic touches, and the music so far has really enforced that feeling. The opening segment really felt like the start of movie, but you were in control.

Ammo and health has been extremely plentiful so far. I suppose people who don't like that might want to play on hard instead of normal.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2013, 09:18:54 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 05, 2013, 09:13:14 PM

Personally, I don't really enjoy being on edge for an entire game, so I am fine if the game isn't as nerve-wracking as the first two. I understand why others might look at it negatively, but sometimes games change, and people have differing opinions of those changes. I love the cinematic touches, and the music so far has really enforced that feeling. The opening segment really felt like the start of movie, but you were in control.

I've had to play the first two games in chunks because I'm all strung out from the stress of what's next!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 05, 2013, 09:21:03 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 05, 2013, 09:18:54 PM

I've had to play the first two games in chunks because I'm all strung out from the stress of what's next!

When they wanted me to go back to the Ishimura in DS2, I was like, "hell NO!"

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2013, 09:32:34 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 05, 2013, 09:21:03 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on February 05, 2013, 09:18:54 PM

When they wanted me to go back to the Ishimura in DS2, I was like, "hell NO!"

Yeah that was maybe the best part of the first 2 games.
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2013, 03:20:13 AM »

Any more console or PC impressions? Does the PC version run pretty smooth (optimized)?
Just watched the quick look at Giant Bomb, they were not pleased frown
But I trust our community more anyways so.....

Semper Fidelis

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2013, 03:53:57 AM »

I'm playing on hard and by chapter 2 I'm finding more items than I can even pickup.  Maybe there are just more drops overall.
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2013, 04:24:56 AM »

I may go PC this time around instead of Xbox

Semper Fidelis

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: February 06, 2013, 04:46:40 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on February 06, 2013, 03:20:13 AM

Any more console or PC impressions? Does the PC version run pretty smooth (optimized)?
Just watched the quick look at Giant Bomb, they were not pleased frown
But I trust our community more anyways so.....

The game on PC runs just fine, I do have a newer rig though but I'm able to crank it up to maximum and even downsample and the game runs smooth.  There are quite a few options to tweak as well so it's more than just a basic port. 

I'm still enjoying the game and the enemies are getting more varied as well as their attacks.  I'm playing with a controller and it works well.  There is a ton of stuff to build and weapons to upgrade so if you like that it's there or you can just use the line cutter and try and make it through the game.  I'm playing on hard and once you get to chapter 3 and 4 you will run out of ammo, I didn't think that I would because early in the game I had a ton of stuff but that's dwindling now. 

There is a DLC button on the bench where you upgrade weapons but other than that I haven't thought about the invasive DLC and the co-op stuff seems like it's a different game mode as everything feels single player to me.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2013, 04:50:05 AM »

PC version runs perfectly smooth, just like DS2. Graphical quality is about the same, however, make sure you change to custom graphics settings and turn everything all the way up. The default high detail settings don't actually make use of all of them. Also on PC change your FOV if you're sitting closer to your monitor. They definitely made the FOV narrower since DS2.

One thing I don't like is they've gone back to the shorter, weaker melee swing from Isaac. Remember dead space 1's melee swing where he pulled his swing in tighter? Same for DS3, whereas in DS2 he really lashed out with a fully extended arm. This meant you could actually hit something. However, they did keep the DS2 slight step forward when he swings, so that has helped keep the melee useful, especially when you get jumped.

To be honest, with what I've played so far it's had the DS1 and DS2 feel to me. I've never held Dead Space as some paragon of suspense and horror, it's always had action segments. However, I suspect later on in they game they may pile on too many action segments.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2013, 07:09:17 AM »

The game feels exactly like DS1 and DS2 to me.  Really enjoying it.  Items started to get too sparse though so I had to bump it down to Normal.  I was bummed to go to a door and have a message pop up that that mission was co-op only.  Also noticed that there are optional objectives for SP as well, that's a new thing.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2013, 03:01:51 PM »

I was a little blown away by the amount of DLC available for this... $5 for this bot upgrade, $5 for that pack, $15 for a combo pack and that's not counting Awakened coming in March.  icon_neutral

-craig

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 06, 2013, 03:06:11 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on February 06, 2013, 03:01:51 PM

I was a little blown away by the amount of DLC available for this... $5 for this bot upgrade, $5 for that pack, $15 for a combo pack and that's not counting Awakened coming in March.  icon_neutral

make use of this quickly

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-06-dead-space-3-item-glitch-spotted-negates-use-of-micro-transactions
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 03:31:03 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 06, 2013, 03:49:17 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 06, 2013, 03:06:11 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on February 06, 2013, 03:01:51 PM

I was a little blown away by the amount of DLC available for this... $5 for this bot upgrade, $5 for that pack, $15 for a combo pack and that's not counting Awakened coming in March.  icon_neutral

make use of this quickly

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-06-dead-space-3-item-glitch-spotted-negates-use-of-micro-transactions

It doesn't appear until Chapter 8?  No way I'm getting to that before they patch it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2013, 04:48:33 PM »

initial impressions after about only an hour and a half of gaming.

I like it - forgot how weak my plasma cutter at it basic build was  - or did they nerf it?

I will say that I find the bench upgrades interface and menus confusing right now and not nearly as easy to understand / perform as DS1 & 2.
Yuck!

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2013, 05:57:30 PM »

Quote from: Roman on February 06, 2013, 04:48:33 PM

initial impressions after about only an hour and a half of gaming.

I like it - forgot how weak my plasma cutter at it basic build was  - or did they nerf it?

I will say that I find the bench upgrades interface and menus confusing right now and not nearly as easy to understand / perform as DS1 & 2.
Yuck!

The bench is really changed.  Make sure to watch the tutorial that launches (you can also replay from the main bench menu).
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2013, 10:46:37 PM »

Got it thanks Leo.

Played a little more today and got to just after chapter 5 I think. Now it's starting to click again with me.
Bench is a little easier now but will take some time. One thing I don't like is that it will let you assign circuits to guns even if they won't work. Eg: I added extra clip to the lower rail on my cutter. Thing is that I have the rotate axis option. It allowed me until I realized that there was no reason. Just poor decision and understanding on my part  retard

I am liking it better and better now. Glad I stuck with the series ( so far ......)

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2013, 04:27:18 PM »

About 5 hours in now and I'd say it's no more action packed than any of the previous DS games.  It pretty much has the exact same formula as the other two.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 07, 2013, 06:16:52 PM »

One other thing I found out the hard way...if you save in the middle of an optional mission it won't save your progress.  I saved in the middle of one optional mission and it only saved my inventory, I had to do it all over again when I loaded.  Also after I finished the mission I was unable to access that area again (and there was no story reason not to be able to).
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 08, 2013, 01:53:32 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 07, 2013, 04:27:18 PM

About 5 hours in now and I'd say it's no more action packed than any of the previous DS games.  It pretty much has the exact same formula as the other two.

Couldn't agree more. This game is DS plain and simple. Really liking it now more and more. It says I am about 26% in and 7.5 hrs thus far - I like to explore smile

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: