http://gamingtrend.com
December 17, 2014, 09:48:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PC/Wii U/PS3] Darksiders 2 (review on page 2)  (Read 7076 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2012, 06:05:51 PM »

I haven't finished DII yet, but I have to say that I agree with disarm.  I enjoyed the first one a lot more.  I like the second one, but it just didn't hook me like the previous one did.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2012, 06:31:25 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 20, 2012, 06:05:51 PM

I haven't finished DII yet, but I have to say that I agree with disarm.  I enjoyed the first one a lot more.  I like the second one, but it just didn't hook me like the previous one did.

so maybe if I didn't like the first one I'll like the second one...

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2012, 12:42:18 AM »

The first one had a better and more driving story.

The second had better gameplay, burdened a bit by the leveling and loot, and the story was hard to connect to.

The problem with D2's levelng and loot was it let them get sloppy with encounter and monster design, so despite the gameplay being better, you had situations where encounters were stupidly difficult, not challenging, and the designers practically hand waved, saying that you needed to be X level to pass.
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2013, 11:25:36 PM »

Just got to Earth (about 18 hours in). This part takes a turn to the worse. You basically have two choices, either deal with a horde of a dozen enemies that do decent quick damage or pickup a gun that removes your ability to dodge. Seriously, this is easily the worst part of the game so far. The rest has been pretty enjoyable.

I think I need to find me a better scythe that gives me health on hit...
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2013, 01:19:47 PM »

I just started playing this on the PC over the weekend, about 5 hours in and I am loving it. It's the best elements from Zelda, Diablo, Prince of Persia, and God of War all mixed together in a way that actually works.

I beat the 1st game and so far I am digging the 2nd one even more.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2014, 01:49:18 AM »

Arise!

So I've been going through my backlog trying to play some games that I either never installed or stopped playing for one reason or another. This was one of the later where I gave up after 5hrs. I ended up painting myself in a corner by going down the Necromancer spell line, where you heavily rely on AI pets to do the work, and spending money carelessly so as to not have anything left for mana potions.

I've put about 14 hours in to this next go-around and am loving it. Went down the Harbinger line which basically means you're badass and don't need to rely on those pansy minions to do the combat. This game is basically God of War and Zelda fused together in a world made from awesome sauce. This game looks so great and the designers/animators really did a great job all around - even on the little stuff, like flames, trickling water, smoke, dust, ghostly vapors, and other cool stuff.

The game is pretty huge too. I figured it would just take place in the initial big area zone but it looks to branch out. I'm a fair way in to the second big area and think I saw portals for at least 2 other areas that I should eventually go to.

I don't know whats going on in this game other than Death trying to find his brother War and some corruption spreading around the worlds. But don't care. Just love slicing through enemies and the dungeon puzzles where are complicated enough that you get stuck every once in awhile, but not so complicated that you can't figure them out on your own. And it feels almost as good to solve those dungeon puzzle rooms as it does taking down a boss monster.

So glad I went back to this one. Its a fantastic game and I seem to get the sense it got a bit overlooked.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2014, 07:03:19 PM »

I've been dipping into my backlog lately too since a lot of the games coming out this year just aren't very interesting. I'm working on Alan Wake right now, Darksiders II might be a good to start on afterwards.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2014, 03:20:37 AM »

Yeah this game is pretty kick ass. 20hrs in now and in the 3rd big area now with some outcast angels. The dungeon room puzzles in this game are great. They're sometimes difficult enough where you get stuck for a bit. But not so difficult that you can't figure it out on your own eventually and feel smart.

I also did two of the DLCs (Argul's Tomb and Abyssal Forge). They were both pretty decent. Argul's looks a bit better but it had some really neat moments in it, some very good puzzles, and a nice end boss - although easy to defeat. Abyssal Forge décor didn't grab me but some of the puzzle rooms were decent. But the end boss battle was pretty kick ass.

Does anyone know if they picked up the Darksiders license after the THQ bankruptcy? Or did that do this franchise in?
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2014, 02:56:17 AM »

And I'm done. 27+ hrs to complete. Fantastic game overall. The game started crashing a bunch at the side dungeon Arbiter's Maze, which apparently is a known issue that didn't get fixed. So I gave up on that one prematurely. Other than that though the game was stable throughout. Did the last DLC "The Demon Lord Belial" which was pretty decent too. Actually had a bit of a story to follow and a couple neat puzzles - although easy. This is definitely a memorable game for me.

Looks like another studio has the Darksiders license so curious to see what they do if they ever make the game. I don't sense the gaming community is gnawing at the bit for another one but do hope they continue the series or at least wrap it up.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2014, 06:57:35 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on May 06, 2014, 02:56:17 AM

And I'm done. 27+ hrs to complete. Fantastic game overall. The game started crashing a bunch at the side dungeon Arbiter's Maze, which apparently is a known issue that didn't get fixed. So I gave up on that one prematurely. Other than that though the game was stable throughout. Did the last DLC "The Demon Lord Belial" which was pretty decent too. Actually had a bit of a story to follow and a couple neat puzzles - although easy. This is definitely a memorable game for me.

Looks like another studio has the Darksiders license so curious to see what they do if they ever make the game. I don't sense the gaming community is gnawing at the bit for another one but do hope they continue the series or at least wrap it up.
Did you play the first Darksiders too?  I'm curious how it compares to the 2nd.  I have both from Steam sales, and was wondering if I should just jump into the 2nd...which looks more interesting to me.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2014, 07:46:32 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on May 06, 2014, 06:57:35 PM

Did you play the first Darksiders too?  I'm curious how it compares to the 2nd.  I have both from Steam sales, and was wondering if I should just jump into the 2nd...which looks more interesting to me.

I did. But only a few hours. It didn't grab me and don't think the gameplay was as good. But it's been awhile since I've played it.

You can go in to the second game without knowing much of the first. The story isn't the strongest. It's the gameplay that's great.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2014, 08:20:16 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on May 06, 2014, 07:46:32 PM

Quote from: Roguetad on May 06, 2014, 06:57:35 PM

I did. But only a few hours. It didn't grab me and don't think the gameplay was as good. But it's been awhile since I've played it.

You can go in to the second game without knowing much of the first. The story isn't the strongest. It's the gameplay that's great.
Sounds good.  I'll jump into 2.  I keep meaning to play it...but keep distracted by other games.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2014, 10:53:12 PM »

I have yet to play Darksiders 2 as well, despite owning it for ages.  I had tried to play the first one a couple different times and got a few hours into it each time but it just never hooked me. 

Maybe one of these days I should fire up the second one as well and see if I enjoy it more and can get into it.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2014, 05:03:33 AM »

Apparently Joe Madueria made a post on Facebook that includes this bit about Darksiders:

4) Darksiders-- DS is not dead!!! The new owner, Nordic seems very committed to continuing the series. As far as my involvement, I can't say at this point. Hopefully we will all have exciting news about the franchise soon!!!!!!

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2014, 02:55:23 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 13, 2014, 05:03:33 AM

Apparently Joe Madueria made a post on Facebook that includes this bit about Darksiders:

4) Darksiders-- DS is not dead!!! The new owner, Nordic seems very committed to continuing the series. As far as my involvement, I can't say at this point. Hopefully we will all have exciting news about the franchise soon!!!!!!
Hopefully they can continue the story of the horsemen.  That way I can add another Darksiders game to my Steam collection that I probably won't play for more than 30 minutes frown  I really need to find some time to play DS2.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2014, 04:19:07 AM »

DS2 seemed to run out of steam towards the end, and I didn't like the end result with the level and item system. It allowed for some sloppier pacing and boss design.

But, I'm always up for more Darksiders, there's a lot more to the universe and characters. Plus, the end of Darksiders 1 was so great, I want to see what all the other riders have been up to.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: