http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 10:37:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PC/Wii U/PS3] Darksiders 2 (review on page 2)  (Read 5277 times)
Autistic Angel
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2012, 02:35:09 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 11, 2012, 07:23:35 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on August 08, 2012, 03:26:09 AM

KD any info on which version to get?  Xbox or PS3?  If there's any difference at all.

Played em both - they are both the same from what I saw.  I finished the game on 360.   This is a big  thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup from me!

Only 3 thumbsup out of 10 thumbsup , eh? icon_razz

How about the PC version?  THQ's ports of Space Marine and Saints Row: The Third were rock-solid, but considering their recent financial woes...?

-Autistic Angel
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2012, 04:11:45 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 11, 2012, 07:23:35 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on August 08, 2012, 03:26:09 AM

KD any info on which version to get?  Xbox or PS3?  If there's any difference at all.

Played em both - they are both the same from what I saw.  I finished the game on 360.   This is a big  thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup from me!

Thank you!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2012, 04:54:03 PM »

Did you get a chance to compare to the PC build?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2012, 12:05:18 PM »

If you get Darksiders 2 on PC don't play it with mouse and keyboard.

The game runs great, however, there's just a ton of problems with the interface and the gameplay suffers as well. It's just a pain to manage your inventory and other screens, then there's huge issues with the camera too.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2012, 12:56:24 PM »

I played the PC version for about 2 hours, and I love it.  The environments are beautiful (even if the textures aren't exactly the best), it plays great, there looks to be a ton of stuff to do and find, and the music is excellent (especially the song that plays in Tri-Stone).  So far, it plays like a mix of Diablo and Prince of Persia, although I imagine the Zelda elements will kick in once I got to a big dungeon.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2012, 01:56:09 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 14, 2012, 12:05:18 PM

If you get Darksiders 2 on PC don't play it with mouse and keyboard.

The game runs great, however, there's just a ton of problems with the interface and the gameplay suffers as well. It's just a pain to manage your inventory and other screens, then there's huge issues with the camera too.

For what it's worth, it plays flawlessly with a 360 controller attached.  I haven't even had to tweak the sensitivity settings. nod

-Autistic Angel
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2012, 04:16:56 PM »

And here is my official review of the 360 version:  http://gamingtrend.com/game_reviews/darksiders-ii/

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2012, 07:04:04 PM »

I still can't get into the first game,i played the prologue when the game came to PS+ and it was very boring..not been back to it

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2012, 01:22:45 AM »

Been playing all day and enjoying it.  Question though, if you can get into a dungeon, can you finish it?  It seems like they let you into dungeons before you have all the necessary tools to finish them.  I am in one called "The Shattered Forge" and it looks like I am stuck almost at the end.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I can see a bomb thing across a room and I see 2 areas that I need to blow up and one area that needs a lever to open.  I can't get up or across to where the bomb is though.  Not sure if there's a grapple or something?  I've literally cleared the rest of the dungeon except this room and the branched rooms from it.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2012, 03:42:43 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Check under water.

The only problem I had along these lines wasn't with gear. Rather, it was from the tacked on rpg mechanic that allowed them to make a mini boss encounter that I found by exploring waaaaaaaaay to difficult and filled with cheap shots that I couldn't survive without leveling up.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2012, 03:35:51 PM »

Deckard Cain should have spoken with the riders... I mean, the Horadrim were looking for the Nephilim, right? slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2012, 03:53:16 PM »

Ron's review got me interested, but I've seen a few other reviews (like IGN's) which mention tons of glitches, a rather sparse and dull environment, and a somewhat boring story.

Since the first Darksiders game didn't really grab me (for most of the reasons listed above), I'll probably hold off on this one until a price drop.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2012, 04:18:35 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 15, 2012, 03:53:16 PM

Since the first Darksiders game didn't really grab me (for most of the reasons listed above), I'll probably hold off on this one until a price drop.

I'm really enjoying everything I've seen so far, but I can say in a completely non-snarky way that if you and metallicorphan got bored of murdering cyberpunk angels and sifting through the ashes of the Apocalypse, there's nothing revolutionary about the sequel that would demand an immediate look.

Besides, we wouldn't want you distracted from posting your Last Story game diary.  Hint, hint.

-Autistic Angel
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2012, 04:51:58 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on August 15, 2012, 04:18:35 PM

Besides, we wouldn't want you distracted from posting your Last Story game diary.  Hint, hint.

Crap...totally forgot that was coming out this week. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2012, 06:15:09 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 15, 2012, 03:53:16 PM

same here, I figure I can wait until the Holiday sale or THQ's going out of business one slywink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2012, 06:38:03 PM »

I only put an hour in to this so far and really enjoying it so far - wish I had more time I could devote to it at the moment. The combat is solid and I like the atmosphere of this one much more than the original, which I stopped playing after a few hours. Some neat characters and set pieces in it already.

I also got "email" in game which came with a few new weapons which kinda surprised me. Not sure what all that's about.

This is the PC version I'm playing and the complaints about the graphics are somewhat warranted but still overally picky. The graphics could be a bit sharper but are fine for me. The only graphical issue that is bugging me is the FOV seems too narrow and it takes my eyes awhile to adjust. I haven't had any other issues beyond that.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2012, 03:47:08 PM »

About 7 hours in now.  I don't like Death as much as I did War, but man I love these games.  So much fun to adventure.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2012, 02:36:30 PM »

Yeah - totally fun, and the story is interesting. I've also discovered I have a thing for 12-foot Celtic blacksmith women with giant braids. Yumm.

Also, you can mail shit to other people. Anyone on 360 near level 8? I got a bunch of good stuff that is worth more to wear than it is to sell. I'm at lvl 11, so I'm willing to help you out. biggrin

It's like Diablo, World of Warcraft (for the art) on a Devil May Cry combat system, with the adventuring/exploration elements of Metroid Prime.

But without the sucky controls of MP, and you don't have an arm dedicated to "Adventuring" monsters to death... cuz it's not a shooter. Roll Eyes

Spoiler for mah progreshin:
I'm currently in the Foundry, looking for the three heartstones to wake the giant construct up to get to the tree of life.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:40:00 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2012, 03:53:21 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on August 15, 2012, 06:38:03 PM

This is the PC version I'm playing and the complaints about the graphics are somewhat warranted but still overally picky. The graphics could be a bit sharper but are fine for me. The only graphical issue that is bugging me is the FOV seems too narrow and it takes my eyes awhile to adjust. I haven't had any other issues beyond that.

I heard they didn't give PC players many options to play with graphic wise.

Because I can,
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2012, 05:04:06 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 17, 2012, 03:53:21 PM

The only problem I have with the graphics is in the inventory menu, your character looks to be in a very low resolution so when you put new gear on him and want to see how it looks it's not that great, but once you get in the game it looks fine.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2012, 05:58:30 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 17, 2012, 03:53:21 PM

There are no options other than resolution. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2012, 02:32:50 AM »

They kinda pulled their pants down and took a giant dump on PC gamers.    I'm considering skipping this one just because of that.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2012, 03:01:50 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on August 20, 2012, 02:32:50 AM

They kinda pulled their pants down and took a giant dump on PC gamers.    I'm considering skipping this one just because of that.

In what way?  The system requirements are really low, and graphics (from a technical standpoint) are not the game's strong suit.  I don't think more graphics options would have really helped, and other than that, it's a solid port.  It also helps that it cost a little more than half the price of the console version.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2012, 08:23:42 AM »

The PC version is extremely screwed up in its UI and controls.

It runs near perfectly, that's not the issue, but that can be said of a lot of games nowadays since the 5 year old consoles determine the optimized system specs. So, running well isn't that special.

No, it's crap like the UI simply not responding to certain mouse clicks, clunky keyboard and mouse controls, and weirdly unresponsive controls during bigger fights.

It got better when I plugged in a 360 controller, but even then there's stupid crap light the button tooltips specifically saying that to switch to the world map from the local map is the A button, but it's actually clicking in the Left Stick.

Then there's the gameplay issue during fights. They have a lot of nice new enemies to fight, and that's good, but now they throw a lot more at you. Only problem is that the camera pulls in during fights, especially when locked on, meaning that most enemies will be off screen. Then they have a lot of enemies with nasty wind up attacks that you have to dodge, but since most are now outside of your vision, it's really not possible to do so.
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2012, 07:13:42 PM »

I picked this up along with Sleeping Dogs, and honestly, I'm finding myself having more fun with Sleeping Dogs (I know, different type of game altogether). I'm just not finding the story interesting or compelling enough to continue, and being almighty Death and relegated to playing errand-boy fetching this and that is getting tiring. I think I'm about half-way through - 10.5 hours in.

The combat is also not that fun, especially with multiple enemies surrounding you. Like Turtle mentioned, when you lock onto one enemy, the camera pulls in for a cinematic view but it compromises you since other enemies outflank and charge attack you from off screen. I also wish Death had the ability to block. Being able to dodge is a huge help, but sometimes when there are multiple enemies surrounding you it'd be nice to just turtle and block attacks (like in GoW) so you can reset and reposition yourself.

The sluggish menu also isn't doing it any favors. I'm playing the 360 version.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:25:45 PM by spigot » Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2012, 09:27:02 PM »

Some of the secondary weapons do block (hold Y down).

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2012, 11:54:04 PM »

I'm waiting on the PC version to be fixed before I buy it, assuming they actually fix it.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2012, 12:32:00 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on August 22, 2012, 11:54:04 PM

I'm waiting on the PC version to be fixed before I buy it, assuming they actually fix it.

I've played playing a lot of the PC version with an XBox controller, and other than the mislabeled tool tip, I haven't seen anything that needs to be fixed.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2012, 01:02:11 AM »

Yeah, the PC version exhibits none of the glitches or crashes that apparently plague the PS3 version, and runs substantially better than on the 360.  It's the definitive version.

-Autistic Angel
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2012, 02:24:32 AM »

I have no probs with the 360 version. Install to HD, and it works fine.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2012, 03:41:45 PM »

FYI a patch for the PC version came out the other day. Bug fixes but importantly a few new graphic options including AA,shadow map resolution, and Screen Space Ambient Occlusion.

The graphic options have a very noticable improvement to how the game looks to where I muttered "wow".
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2012, 06:25:32 AM »

just saw that the Wii U version will be playable on the Wii U gamepad plus more:

Additional Content for the WiiU

The WiiU version of Darksiders II includes a selection of Bonus Content not included on the disc for the other formats. This includes:

• Argul’s Tomb – The game’s first downloadable content pack featuring a unique area, three new dungeons and new weapons and armor to collect.

• Death Rides Pack – Three new side-quests for the Darksiders II campaign.

• Angel of Death & Shadow of Death packs – New legendary armor and weapon choices for the player early in the game.

• Deadly Despair Pack – Upgraded horse speed boost.

• Additional unique legendary weapon and armor sets for the player to use from the start of the game.

Key Features

• Play Death – Become the most feared of the legendary Four Horsemen, able to destroy entire worlds and battle forces beyond Heaven or Hell.

• Epic Universe – Unlike anything the player has seen before, delivered in the unique style of Joe Mad.

• Player Choice & Customization – Thousands of weapon and armor items, three diverse specialisations, along with customizable Harbinger & Necromancer Skill Trees allow players to create their own Death.

• Replay-ability – Side quests, vast open world, endless equipment combinations, Skill Tree customization and leveling system offer compelling reasons to play through Darksiders II again and again.

• Traversal – Death is a nimble and agile character capable of incredible acrobatic feats allowing the player to explore the world like never before.

• Unique WiiU GamePad Functionality – Play Darksiders II like never before using the WiiU GamePad screen to instantly access inventory and abilities.

• Different Ways to Play – Play Darksiders II on your TV, just on the Wii U GamePad, or with the Wii U Pro Controller.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2012, 05:34:30 PM »

dangit, Steam has it on sale this weekend.  get it now or wait for the Wii U version......

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2012, 08:58:50 PM »

If they don't muck up the conversion on the Wii U it should be one of the most decent games at launch. Its still missing the other two major DLC packs so will likely have to pay full price for those rather than getting them when they go on sale at Steam.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2012, 05:06:23 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on October 04, 2012, 08:58:50 PM

If they don't muck up the conversion on the Wii U it should be one of the most decent games at launch. Its still missing the other two major DLC packs so will likely have to pay full price for those rather than getting them when they go on sale at Steam.

yeah, that's what I'm thinking-  on Steam I can get it all for under the regular retail.

playing through the first one now on the PC.  still kinda buggy after all these years  disgust  does DS2 have the 'challenge rooms' like the first one did?  where to unlock a gate to continue with the main quest you have to visit 4 rooms and beat the clock by doing certain things like only killing enemies a certain way or defend a bunch of NPCs?

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2012, 07:55:55 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 05, 2012, 05:06:23 AM

playing through the first one now on the PC.  still kinda buggy after all these years  disgust  does DS2 have the 'challenge rooms' like the first one did?  where to unlock a gate to continue with the main quest you have to visit 4 rooms and beat the clock by doing certain things like only killing enemies a certain way or defend a bunch of NPCs?

I'm about 10 hours in and I haven't seen any.  There are rooms where you have to beat all the enemies in order to open the doors, but there are no other conditions.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2012, 07:18:34 PM »

This can't be a good sign for the future of the series - Joe Madureira is leaving Vigil Games frown

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2012, 10:17:23 PM »

The next DLC, Abyssal Forge, is out next week.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2012, 12:46:01 AM »

I finally finished the game tonight, and while I did have fun playing, I actually have to say that I enjoyed the original more.  While they did make some advances in the RPG and loot aspects, the story was really lacking and it didn't have as many memorable action moments as the first game. I was especially disappointed with how the game ended...really lame final boss, and very little wrap-up to the story. Maybe it would have been better if I had played on a harder skill level, but on the standard difficulty, I had weapons and armor that were so grossly overpowered by the end of the game that combat required virtually no skill, and I rarely found it necessary to use special abilities or do much more than mash my primary attack. The fully-upgraded possessed double scythes that I was carrying gave me so much health with every hit that I could go toe-to-toe with almost anything and gain health just as fast as enemies took it away. Maybe time has affected my memory of the original, but I seem to remember combat being much more strategic as War, and even the dungeon puzzles were more difficult.

I don't want to make it sound like Darksiders II is a bad game because there is a lot of fun to be had, but I had such high hopes after the first game that I was a little let down by the sequel. They did make a number of good additions to the gameplay (Soul Splitter is a neat new ability), but it wasn't enough to make up for the uninspired story and earn this sequel a spot above the original.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2012, 05:12:54 PM »

See, and I disagree.

Death's adventure happens between the opening section of Darksiders (where War is first killed) and then when he's resurrected - there is only one apocalypse, and going through the game you know what's going to happen.

Spoiler for Hiden:
... otherwise, Death would have HELPED WAR DIRECTLY during Darksiders 1, rather than just saving him.

The only thing I found unanswered that could have been fleshed out is the Crowfather and his interests, as well as the fallen spirits of the nephilim (imbedded on Deaths chest) though I believe ...

Spoiler for Hiden:
they were the sacrifice to resurrect War ... or that later on they will be used to resurrect the third kingdom (aka Earth).

War and Death have two very different play styles, and I enjoyed the fact that the sequel varies off the characters, and that their abilities are entirely different. I also liked that there wasn't a bunch of areas that needed you to backtrack to progress - you COULD do it, but it wasn't necessary.

I very much enjoyed it, and trying it on the second run-through on a harder level, I look forward to completing all sections.

Some of the necklaces you get are awesome - like all plain weapons turning into possessed ones (aka upgrading).

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: