http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 05:51:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/PS3] Dark Souls  (Read 29722 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #640 on: September 06, 2012, 11:14:18 PM »

Quote from: Videmon on September 06, 2012, 10:57:22 PM

Am I the only one who thought Dark Souls was a little bit easier, or less punishing, that Demon Souls? I don't think easy mode is needed at all.

That's only natural since you've already gone through the "player training" in Demon's Soul. That's the hardest part initially, and getting to skip it with Dark Souls makes for a huge difference.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #641 on: September 06, 2012, 11:34:12 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 04, 2012, 08:37:59 PM

easy mode is being pondered.  I hope they do add it, just to watch all the hardcore difficulty die-hards fall over twitching at their keyboards  icon_twisted
And people mocked me when I suggested an option to make the game easier!  Muahahaha!  icon_twisted
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: November 06, 2012, 06:01:19 AM »

Mystery of the Pendant revealed (spoilers)

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 16, 2013, 10:37:02 PM »

Re-Kindle Topic

Well I decided I'd try Dark Souls, only a year or two late I guess.  I'm playing on the PC with DSfix enabled and it looks great but man I suck so bad at this game.  Have yet to get past the Asylum Demon, either I miss the drop off the ledge attack that does so much damage and spend the rest of the time dodging and almost getting him or I hit that attack and stumble around and die quickly.  One of these days I'm going to get that drop attack and then dodge around and kill him.  Question though, I noticed an item on a broken staircase near the guy who gives you the flasks but I have not found a way to get to it, is there a way?  I noticed there was a locked door just past the white doorway (the one that takes you to the boss fight) but it is locked and won't open even with the key I got as a starting gift.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: June 17, 2013, 07:27:53 AM »

Well the first hurdle has been reached.  I was in Undead Burg (I think that is it) and I was kiting a big knight that was guarding a ring, well I had run all the way back to the merchant and was going to drink a estus flask but of course I had firebombs selected.  Now the merchant is mad and won't sell to me.  I read there is a way to get him back on my side but it looks like it is much farther than I've gotten so far in order to get this done.  On the plus side I did kill the knight and he dropped a tianite chuck which I assume will be useful at some point.  Not sure if I will restart with a new character to avoid the NPC issue or just try to muddle along, game sure is fun though.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: June 17, 2013, 12:40:47 PM »

I hope you fare better than I did Zinfan. I got about half way through and had to quit due to difficulty. They just keep making it harder and harder that at some point it stopped being fun for me. I know what they want me to be able to do, but I'm not good enough to do it.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: June 17, 2013, 02:49:32 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on June 17, 2013, 12:40:47 PM

I hope you fare better than I did Zinfan. I got about half way through and had to quit due to difficulty. They just keep making it harder and harder that at some point it stopped being fun for me. I know what they want me to be able to do, but I'm not good enough to do it.

I have heard that,  I am having fun right now so the game is getting more play than a few other titles I bought and never got into.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: July 04, 2013, 05:48:24 AM »

Whew!  Just beat the boss of Anro Landro (sp?)  Took many tries and twice I died with the boss having one or two hits of health left, I just got greedy and messed up on those.  Can't wait to see what is next in store for me.  Happy I can move around bonfires now too.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: July 31, 2013, 11:46:07 PM »

ever wonder what first person mode would look like?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: February 11, 2014, 12:46:21 AM »

Gonna bring this one back from the grave.  I absolutely love this game and Demon's Souls, but for some reason I had gotten distracted from both and then when I went back to them, was afraid I wasn't going to remember how to play and the mechanics and all the craziness that went with it.  So, fly forward in time to a few weeks ago and I decided that I wasn't going to let that stop me.  So, I beat Demon's Souls last night and Dark Souls just now and I feel like a king!  I had basically worked on Dark Souls until I got to the part where you unlock the final boss (I think when I picked things back up again, I had just finished the boss in Anor Londo) and then played Demon's Souls until I beat it last night (when I picked it up, I think I had done a couple of parts of World 1,2, and 3, the first part of 4 and none of 5).  I'd love to go and play New Game+, but too many games to be played.  This is the type of game I wish I had back in college when I could only afford a game or two as I would have just played it over and over like I did with A Link to the Past and Super Mario World on the SNES.  Anyway, just on a Souls high and wanted to share.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 02:14:21 AM by The Grue » Logged

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Jaymeson
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: February 11, 2014, 02:04:10 AM »

The Grue - I'm with you.  Dark Souls remains my favorite G.O.A.T.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #651 on: February 11, 2014, 04:28:47 AM »

I finally finished the game a couple of weeks ago and still need to finish the DLC.  I initially played for 60 hours about 6 months ago and got back into it and was determined to finish the game and it felt good.

Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: February 11, 2014, 01:28:25 PM »

Don't know how you guys did it. While I loved the look, feel and action of the game the dying over and over and repeating and not feeling like I was making much progress made me shelve it.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: February 11, 2014, 04:26:41 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on February 11, 2014, 01:28:25 PM

Don't know how you guys did it. While I loved the look, feel and action of the game the dying over and over and repeating and not feeling like I was making much progress made me shelve it.

That's actually what I like about it.  When I die, that makes me want to beat it even more.  So, I get that "one more turn" effect from this game. 

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: February 11, 2014, 04:41:57 PM »

As you learn to the play the game that happens less often as well.  The game teaches you to be cautious and alert to your surroundings.  Usually if you die, outside of a boss fight, it's because you've gotten careless.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: February 11, 2014, 05:14:57 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on February 11, 2014, 04:41:57 PM

As you learn to the play the game that happens less often as well.  The game teaches you to be cautious and alert to your surroundings.  Usually if you die, outside of a boss fight, it's because you've gotten careless.

I would say I got about 30% of the way through and never quite got to that point. And then some of the bosses seemed impossible. It really bummed me because I wanted to love it but it just got to be too much work, for me anyway.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #656 on: February 11, 2014, 05:37:20 PM »

No, I think that's wrong. Sorry, but Dark Souls is filled with absolutely terrible gameplay and level design that only gets a pass because the designers and community put up a facade of hardcoreness.

The reality of it is, you die plenty of times from crappy camera control, crappy player control, poor animations with little control over swings, poor physics, along with poor creature, level, and encounter design that just highlights it.

I think Dark Souls is a good game, that does a lot of interesting things, but it gets way too much credit for what is essentially sloppy work in basic combat and movement gameplay.

There's a real opportunity for someone to make a hardcore game without the level of sloppiness and jank that Dark Souls has. Dark Soul gets a free pass due to it helping to bring back difficulty in console games, but we can do better.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: February 11, 2014, 06:28:30 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 11, 2014, 05:37:20 PM

As you learn to the play the game that happens less often as well.  The game teaches you to be cautious and alert to your surroundings.  Usually if you die, outside of a boss fight, it's because you've gotten careless.

No, I think that's wrong. Sorry, but Dark Souls is filled with absolutely terrible gameplay and level design that only gets a pass because the designers and community put up a facade of hardcoreness.

The reality of it is, you die plenty of times from crappy camera control, crappy player control, poor animations with little control over swings, poor physics, along with poor creature, level, and encounter design that just highlights it.

I think Dark Souls is a good game, that does a lot of interesting things, but it gets way too much credit for what is essentially sloppy work in basic combat and movement gameplay.

There's a real opportunity for someone to make a hardcore game without the level of sloppiness and jank that Dark Souls has. Dark Soul gets a free pass due to it helping to bring back difficulty in console games, but we can do better.

Wow you are so off base in a lot of ways.  DS gets combat right.  Knowing the animations of your weapons is important, knowing if you have a fast or slow weapon, its reach, and arc of attack.  This isn't DMC or God of War, it's not about combos, it's about looking for openings.  Even new games like Lords of the Fallen seem to be taking queues from Dark Souls combat.   Heck here's a combat assessment as compared to reality  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXGns-R8KkM
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 06:39:17 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: February 11, 2014, 06:46:45 PM »

I would kill for an Elder Scrolls game with Dark Souls combat.  Combat is the worst thing about Elder Scrolls games and if they could make it interesting, it would really improve the series.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: February 11, 2014, 07:22:10 PM »

can't agree with you Turtle, controls worked almost flawlessly for me in DS.  Only issue was the framerate in that stupid poison area.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: February 11, 2014, 09:20:08 PM »

Turtle I'm with you. There was seldom enough feedback for me to learn enough to progress at a steady rate. But Dark Souls has divided people like this from the onset.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: February 11, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »

Seems like the time to break out this

bah, forum is autoshrinking it here's direct link http://i.imgur.com/GQa0vcu.jpg
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 09:26:44 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: February 11, 2014, 09:29:55 PM »

haven't seen that before Forge, but that's exactly the case in Dark Souls.  If you think there isn't any feedback to tell you what you did wrong, you just aren't looking at it.

People are too used to hand holding and/or on rails gameplay that any time the screen doesn't flash 'YOU DIDN'T PRESS THE X BUTTON FAST ENOUGH, TRY AGAIN' they seem to miss it or just assume it's too hard and move on to another game.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: February 11, 2014, 10:05:04 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on February 11, 2014, 09:29:55 PM

haven't seen that before Forge, but that's exactly the case in Dark Souls.  If you think there isn't any feedback to tell you what you did wrong, you just aren't looking at it.

People are too used to hand holding and/or on rails gameplay that any time the screen doesn't flash 'YOU DIDN'T PRESS THE X BUTTON FAST ENOUGH, TRY AGAIN' they seem to miss it or just assume it's too hard and move on to another game.

Honestly Harkonis, I find this remark condescending and obnoxious. I've been playing these games for 25 years and I don't need hand holding or rails. DS just got to a point for me that it wasn't fun and I don't need people telling me I'm doing it wrong or I don't get. It's a great game for players that it clicks for. But there are a great many people for whom it didn't.  I'm sure you didn't mean anything by it, but I don't think that's the best way to express it.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: February 11, 2014, 10:23:44 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on February 11, 2014, 10:05:04 PM

Honestly Harkonis, I find this remark condescending and obnoxious. I've been playing these games for 25 years and I don't need hand holding or rails. DS just got to a point for me that it wasn't fun and I don't need people telling me I'm doing it wrong or I don't get. It's a great game for players that it clicks for. But there are a great many people for whom it didn't.  I'm sure you didn't mean anything by it, but I don't think that's the best way to express it.

Then say it didn't click for you in the first place instead of saying the game doesn't provide feedback, which it actually does in most cases.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: February 12, 2014, 01:35:57 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on February 11, 2014, 10:23:44 PM

Quote from: Greg Wak on February 11, 2014, 10:05:04 PM

Then say it didn't click for you in the first place instead of saying the game doesn't provide feedback, which it actually does in most cases.

It didn't click for me because it didn't provide enough feedback, for me. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. And I'm not alone in thinking that.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #666 on: February 12, 2014, 08:51:31 AM »

That graphic is cute, and Dark Souls does that sometimes, but take off your rose colored glasses and see that it really only does that prepared and skilled thing 1/2 of the time.

Second, it's okay if there's lot of narrow walkways, or corridors, but when there is, you should make sure players have control over their attack animations such that they can avoid constantly swinging weapons into walls. Weapons can be swung in different ways. A longsword can be used to thrust as well as swing wide, useful in corridors don't you think? So let's not talk about realism of DS' combat.

Boss monsters are another good example, the whole of the game alternates between giant boss monsters you kill really easily, then the smaller boss monsters relying on a crappy gimmick like climbing up a ledge and doing a flailing jump at them, otherwise they kill you in 1 hit just because. And that endless rolling just to try to get behind them, or into some curtain of safety because its animations can't hit you.

Then there's the constantly falling off ledges from poor collision, and more. The generic darkness preventing planning, and more. The game really does have poor feedback.

I love hard games, when they're done right, but I could see right through most of the "difficulty" of DS the moment I played it. Then there's the people who get so smug playing it and thinking that anyone who can't handle DS just can't handle difficulty, or that the difficulty of DS is some new and sacred thing.

So when I see players breaking out silly rationales and blaming players who have been through all the hard games of gaming history, it's just annoying and I have to respond.

Dark Souls is a good game and has many great elements beyond the parts I have issue with. The invasions, the humanity/hollow system, the story, the progression, the unique art style, and more. But there is a whole lot of room for improvement, but not if the devs keep pushing poor level design and control as features.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: February 12, 2014, 01:16:29 PM »

we'll just have to agree to disagree then.  I learned from mistakes early, got the controls down and didn't have a problem moving forward from there.  Never really felt like the game was cheating me or not providing the info I needed.  You approach things differently based on the weapon's characteristics.  There was one boss fight I felt was a bit cheap, and it was fairly early on (the one in the tiny room with the stairs to nowhere and the dogs), other than that the game felt fair to me as long as you didnt' just run into everything without being prepared.

The movement and combat controls were very intuitive to me and other than when I chose to roll at the wrong time or in the wrong direction, can't say I fell off many ledges either.  I HATE platforming in my games, and never got too frustrated at Dark Souls version of it.

I could see some complaint on level design, but certainly not controls.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: