http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 05:44:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/PS3] Dark Souls  (Read 28605 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 03, 2011, 07:59:14 PM »

Swedes are softcore for gaming  ninja
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 03, 2011, 08:10:31 PM »

Demon Souls was one of the games I nearly bought a PS3 for, so knowing Dark Souls is on the 360, and finally here (tomorrow), I am in heaven.  Between the IGN review and the giantbomb quicklook, I can barely contain my excitement.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 03, 2011, 08:14:28 PM »

Demon Souls was frustrating...maddening...a real controller throwing gaming experience...

And also a game I could not stop playing.  It may not be for everyone, but for those it hooks it's like crack cocaine.   I will get Dark Souls eventually.  Of that I'm sure.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 03, 2011, 08:20:30 PM »

I am picking this up tmrw. Trading in both Gears3 and Dead Island for a combined $60 makes it easier.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 03, 2011, 08:36:34 PM »

already ditching GoW eh?  ninja
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 03, 2011, 08:47:19 PM »

yup. Finished SP and MP was never the driver for me. I can only handle Horde for so many times before I want to blow my brains out.
The SP stories were always what attracted me - this was my first time in MP for this title.

Roman

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 04, 2011, 01:16:55 PM »

Hark's been online playing all night since 1am EST - the game must be good if he's still at it.
Picking up my copy this evening after work.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 04, 2011, 02:26:49 PM »

Damn reviews are pushing me to blow precious gaming budget money!

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 04, 2011, 02:49:50 PM »

Quote from: Roman on October 04, 2011, 01:16:55 PM

Hark's been online playing all night since 1am EST - the game must be good if he's still at it.
Picking up my copy this evening after work.

My copy is sitting on my desk.  Now if we can just get Hark to come in and give us a quick reveiw of what he thinks.  Or anyone else for that matter..
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 04, 2011, 03:02:15 PM »

Just got back from picking up my copy.  I'll put an hour or so in at lunch and post a mini review afterwards.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 04, 2011, 06:01:35 PM »

Has anyone who preordered from Amazon received his copy yet?

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 04, 2011, 06:31:20 PM »

My copy from Amazon just arrived.
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 04, 2011, 06:34:38 PM »

Just finished my first hour or so and WOW, I can already tell I'm going to love this.  In my first hour, I managed to get through the "tutorial" section which gets you up to speed on the controls and combat, and lets you fight your first boss.  Died a few times learning the controls, but it was always my own fault (kept forgetting to use the lock on feature).  Still got a ways to go before I feel comfortable, but I'm on my way.  I can tell already I'm gonna have a tough time of it, as I'm not the most dextrous person in the world, but I also think I will get through it with practice and time. Couple random comments:

1) Exploration is fun and looks to pay off so far
2) I love the user comments and occationally seeing other players ghosts.  Really makes you feel like we are all in this together.
3) Controls are TIGHT.

I'll post more later when I get some serious time into it.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 04, 2011, 06:58:36 PM »

Xbox ate the disk when I was installing it. frown  It's more hardcore than I expected...  ninja

fun game, dont' play when totally exhausted, you will lose a lot of souls slywink
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: October 04, 2011, 09:54:01 PM »

Well my order from Amazon came in and although I ordered the collectors edition I got the regular one.  Really not that big of a deal but still disappointing.

I imported Demon Souls from Asia so I really do like that game but Dark Souls just feels better.  I thought Demon Souls was a little bit disjointed and a little confusing.  Dark Souls just feels great and the one seamless world makes me feel like I'm progressing instead of going back to a hub.  I'm playing on the 360, installed on the HD,  and the graphics are so-so, I did notice some slowdown during some of the tutorial but it didn't occur during combat.  I've been playing the Witcher 2 with a controller and I'm used to that control scheme and it conflicts with this one.  A weak attack is the RB and the strong attack is RT and you can't change those from what I've seen.  I'm not a big fan of the LB/RB buttons on the 360 as sometimes they don't seem to respond and in this game you need everything to work precisely but I haven't had a problem with this yet.

They did change the menu system but the background graphics are very dark and muddy looking.  I was at a merchant and I couldn't find where you could compare what you had to what he was selling.  I also found out that if you don't close your inventory you can't attack but you can move and I've forgotten a couple of times and paid the price. 

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 04, 2011, 10:30:36 PM »

shon mind triple checking the control remap options?  i think itll be... weird... for me to use RB RT (call it a mental block that i can use them like a champ in FPS / 3rd person shooter but sitting here on my couch it seems like it might be tough in an action rpg - go figure)
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: October 04, 2011, 11:20:11 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on October 04, 2011, 10:30:36 PM

shon mind triple checking the control remap options?  i think itll be... weird... for me to use RB RT (call it a mental block that i can use them like a champ in FPS / 3rd person shooter but sitting here on my couch it seems like it might be tough in an action rpg - go figure)

Nope there aren't any options for changing the config at all.  All you get is to invert or not, speed, and amount of rumble. 

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 05, 2011, 12:05:26 AM »

thanks for checking that for me!
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2011, 01:22:55 AM »

Well, my Amazon order still shows "Shipping Soon" and no copy when I got home tonight.

So keep those impressions coming!  nod

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: October 05, 2011, 01:36:58 AM »

Well I was progressing pretty smoothly at first and then that changed about an hour and a half ago.   I've been in the same area since and have faced some pretty tough enemies that I can't beat. 
I was able to lure one away from his treasure and I got a cool ring and then he caught up to me and I was dead.  The enemies will follow you a loooooooong way so don't think you can just run away and be safe.
I have had a few instances where my button presses didn't register and that caused some frustration.  I found a merchant but he only buys and I have a ton of stuff that I need to get rid of hopefully I'll be able to break them down and make some weapons myself.  The cool thing about the game is the different combat animations for every weapon type that you really have to pay attention to and find the ones that suit your play style and stick with them.  My biggest gripe is with the controls I really wish that I could change them to my liking. 

The coolest thing that has happened so far is when I was going up a staircase and I saw someone behind a lit barrel so I knew what was coming but I couldn't jump out of the way so it hit me and knocked me off to a small ledge down below and just as I was getting up a skeleton fell on me and luckily he fell off and I stayed on then another one fell a few seconds later and plunged to his death.   

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 05, 2011, 06:39:09 AM »

I have had a problem several times where it's doing a phantom input and attacking while I'm holding block, or just in general doing one more move than I did button presses.  quite annoying.

I also HATE how they have the lunge and kick.  constantly doing lunge when I don't want it, and not doing it when I do want it.

Other than that, mostly having a blast.  Had another moment that makes me hate all people though.  I summoned two people into my game and thought that that would be a great time to take on a tough boss.  We fight our way there and it's easy, piece of cake.  I get to the boss, start the fight and one of the guys leaves, the other is standing behind the boss while I'm tanking him... and the other player just turns his back to the boss. 

So I'm in the corner with the boss' attention, I have a teammate flanking him, but instead the other guy and the boss are back to back and I die.  That was a humanity well spent.  Roll Eyes
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 05, 2011, 09:14:34 AM »

yikes, losing humanity on death is going to suck. I rolled up a wander. I went royal in demons' souls and it was ok, want to try a melee for a change of pace.

I got the 360 version and noticed a few slow downs already :| I wish I could change the controller layout too, I keep hitting B sometimes to attack, which got me killed a few times at the first mini boss jabba the hutt thing.

I got into kotr beta this weekend and busy all day saturday, so probably won't play much this weekend. but oh man vacation in 2 weeks and it's fucking on.
Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 05, 2011, 12:54:53 PM »

I think the control layout is the one real issue I have.  I keep hitting X to do an attack for whatever reason.  I would much rather map use item and weapon stance to the bumpers and even the run/roll button as well. 

Other than that,  I really should start paying more attention to the "Imminent Death" messages. 
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 05, 2011, 01:39:25 PM »

I'm pretty sure if I start a band, I'm going to name it Imminent Fatty.

At some point during the tutorial, there was a message telling you how to kick and do something else (jump?).  How do you do those? I couldn't figure it out from the button icons.  Maybe it has something to do with me playing a knight.

A friend was watching me play, and cracked up when I ran into the mobs in that dock/bridge area just after you leave the tutorial, and started running the hell away yelling "OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD!"

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 05, 2011, 02:07:20 PM »

Argh...should I go PS3 or 360?  Any reviews mention a difference that might make one version more attractive than the other?

Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 05, 2011, 03:08:16 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on October 05, 2011, 01:39:25 PM

I'm pretty sure if I start a band, I'm going to name it Imminent Fatty.

At some point during the tutorial, there was a message telling you how to kick and do something else (jump?).  How do you do those? I couldn't figure it out from the button icons.  Maybe it has something to do with me playing a knight.

A friend was watching me play, and cracked up when I ran into the mobs in that dock/bridge area just after you leave the tutorial, and started running the hell away yelling "OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD!"

Forward on the left stick + RB = kick (hit them both simultaneously)
Forward on left stick + RT = jump thrust

I found them tricky to pull off at first, but they are getting easier as I practice.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 05, 2011, 06:32:40 PM »

Went with the 360 version because of the bigger friend's list.  Hopefully this won't bite me in the ass.

Unfortunately, I'm playing boardgames tonight and have a Social Distortion concert to go to tomorrow, so i won't be playing until Friday it seems.   icon_frown

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 05, 2011, 06:35:51 PM »

Quote from: Owain on October 05, 2011, 12:54:53 PM

I think the control layout is the one real issue I have.  I keep hitting X to do an attack for whatever reason.  I would much rather map use item and weapon stance to the bumpers and even the run/roll button as well. 

Other than that,  I really should start paying more attention to the "Imminent Death" messages. 

I hit X to attack too, and can't explain why.  I roll, then drink when I'm trying to backstab.
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 05, 2011, 06:38:45 PM »

After watching the Giant Bomb video I really want to try the spear / shield combo. I also like the use of fire!!!! Can the Pyromancer use a spear / shield combo? Or are they limited to bladed weapons and the like?

Thanks in advance,
Roman

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 05, 2011, 06:56:27 PM »

Quote from: Roman on October 05, 2011, 06:38:45 PM

After watching the Giant Bomb video I really want to try the spear / shield combo. I also like the use of fire!!!! Can the Pyromancer use a spear / shield combo? Or are they limited to bladed weapons and the like?

Thanks in advance,
Roman

Funny, that is the exact build I am using an it's very easy and fun to use.  Just gotta remember to have a minimum of 15 Dex and 13 Strength to use that setup.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 05, 2011, 06:58:11 PM »

Anyone can use anything as long as you have the stats to wield it.  I guess encumberence is also an issue, as you are dead if you are too slow to dodge, but I am playing a wanderer (kinda a light fighter type) and she has no problem wielding a spear and her leather shield.

I also liked the look of the shield/spear combo enough that I purchased a spear from the first vendor I ran across.  I think I have to get a bigger shield as well eventually, but for now I'm digging it.  Havn't had a ton of time to play with my new toy yet, but the few battles I did were enjoyable.  I like the reach.

Looks like Kato got the specifics for ya.
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 05, 2011, 07:06:01 PM »

merci. thumbsup

Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 05, 2011, 07:12:12 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 05, 2011, 06:35:51 PM

Quote from: Owain on October 05, 2011, 12:54:53 PM

I hit X to attack too, and can't explain why.  I roll, then drink when I'm trying to backstab.

I think it is ingrained into my head from previous games that X is light attack and Y heavy attack.  I can't think of titles but for some reason it just feels normal and like I have played something with those controls before.   It is quite funny to watch me when I have it all wrong.. and right after I get it right I try to do a plunge attack off the stairs and sail over the guy's head and down into the deep abyss.  Or I kick a skeleton off and think "Oh he is gone now"  and he shows back up 30 seconds later when I am engaged with 2 others.  I keep forgetting there are ledges or the drops aren't as far as I think they are.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 05, 2011, 07:16:01 PM »

Thanks in advance,
Roman

Rapier and the like can also be used while shield is up, and are a bit quicker.  I love the Rapier and the Estoc and am torn between them and my dagger.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 05, 2011, 07:16:57 PM »

When everything is already dead, drops take longer to kill slywink
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: October 05, 2011, 07:18:26 PM »

Quote from: Owain on October 05, 2011, 07:12:12 PM

I think it is ingrained into my head from previous games that X is light attack and Y heavy attack.  I can't think of titles but for some reason it just feels normal and like I have played something with those controls before.  

Dynasty Warriors, perhaps?

Playing one of those games to completion is enough to train you to expect X / Y to be light / heavy hit for the rest of your life. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 05, 2011, 07:34:47 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 05, 2011, 06:32:40 PM

Went with the 360 version because of the bigger friend's list.  Hopefully this won't bite me in the ass.

Unfortunately, I'm playing boardgames tonight and have a Social Distortion concert to go to tomorrow, so i won't be playing until Friday it seems.   icon_frown

I don't believe you can do anything in this game directly with your friends, so the friend's list shouldn't matter.

I've put in about 7 or 8 hours with the game and just love it.  It's been a long time since I played Demons Souls, so I had forgotten how much I love the gameplay.  One thing I especially enjoy is that if I just try to rush through the "pushover" mobs, they will make me pay.  You can't be sloppy and half-ass it or they will make you pay.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 07:36:55 PM by The Grue » Logged

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 05, 2011, 07:37:19 PM »

Yeah, I thought for some reason that coop was handled differently than in it was in Demon Souls.  No biggie.  I haven't been giving my 360 enough love lately as it is.  Besides, maybe I'll run into some OO/GT'ers by accident.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 05, 2011, 07:53:09 PM »

Thanks in advance,
Roman

starting class doesn't matter too much outside of starting equipment and levels. you can build your character to anything you want. so once you get the str/dex requirements you'll be able to equip any weapons you want. you can equip w/o having the skills, but you'll suffer a penalty for doing so.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 05, 2011, 08:06:15 PM »

There are ways to help get friends together, same covenant, same area, same time, put a sign down and the odds are in your favor.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: