http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 02:06:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/PS3] Dark Souls  (Read 28774 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2011, 03:46:29 PM »

former Project Dark is now known as Dark Souls, the follow up to Demon's Soul.  and yes, the title is right, it's currently coming out for both the PS3 and 360 (in the west, Japan is PS3 exclusive), and they want to release it by the end of the year.  here's an article with some details that have leaked.

This game begins with a player creating a character, but jobs have been removed. Project Dark has a wider selection of weapons and magic spells too. Both elements should allow players to find their own style of play. While Demon’s Souls was broken up into worlds, fields in Dark Souls are seamlessly connected.

of course there is going to be an online component, and it's still going to be tough enough to make you mental.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:37:07 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 04:23:06 PM »

It's going to be even harder than Demon's Soul, supposedly. Demon's Soul balances on a thin edge between satisfying and frustrating. Let's hope Dark Souls can do the same without tipping into frustration.

The greatest bit of news is that soul tendency seems to be gone. That system was Demon's Soul's biggest flaw. The only thing it accomplished was to make people have to rely on gaming the system from the very beginning of a character's career if they wanted any of the really good loot, and you could easily lock yourself away from much of it, particularly if you only played in short bursts. The concept was interesting, but it just didn't work in practice.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 01:51:00 AM »

here's a little trailer.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 01:54:08 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 01:13:57 AM »

a video interview clearing up the fact that this isn't a sequel to Demon's Soul.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 06:45:47 PM »

nice.....

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 12:06:04 AM »

new trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzIhH9YJ3cE

Because I can,
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 06:15:53 PM »

Looking good.

I'm in... Day 1.

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 06:26:57 PM »

Quote from: Qantaga on May 11, 2011, 06:15:53 PM

Looking good.

I'm in... Day 1.

Hey Q, how ya doin!!

I dunno about this - I love the core concepts but does it really have to be so damn difficult?  Can't they have an easy mode for losers like me who have no patience?

Also I found this amusing:

Miyazaki hopes that players will use Beacon Fires to share experiences and communicate with each other, not through words, but emotionally.

By emotional communication, I assume he means watching each other cry in despair  Tongue
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 06:50:17 PM »

I still have to find time to finish Demons Souls...................... icon_eek

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 07:30:48 PM »

Quote from: Roman on May 11, 2011, 06:50:17 PM

I still have to find time to finish Demons Souls...................... icon_eek

It's really daunting to think about trying to get back into that.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 07:57:17 PM »

game is getting a bad ass CE too that's apparently just for preordering the game as no extra price. Given the current PSN bullshit, I'll probably go 360 version, unless it's graphically inferior.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 07:58:09 PM »

wont cost a penny more than the standard edition

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-11-dark-souls-collectors-edition-detailed

The set includes a limited edition art book, a mini-strategy guidebook, behind-the-scenes video footage and a digital download of the game's soundtrack, all packaged in a metal case.

EDIT:bah Jersoc,less than a minute in it Tongue

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 08:05:03 PM »

Already pre-ordered on Amazon.
http://preparetodie.com

First Look
http://kotaku.com/5800064/our-first-look-at-dark-souls
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 08:57:36 PM »

EDIT:bah Jersoc,less than a minute in it

True, but we like you better.

Because I can,
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 02:14:49 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 11, 2011, 07:58:09 PM

wont cost a penny more than the standard edition

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-11-dark-souls-collectors-edition-detailed

The set includes a limited edition art book, a mini-strategy guidebook, behind-the-scenes video footage and a digital download of the game's soundtrack, all packaged in a metal case.

EDIT:bah Jersoc,less than a minute in it Tongue
Ordered 2  icon_eek

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 12:52:32 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 11, 2011, 06:26:57 PM

Hey Q, how ya doin!!

I'm good. I haven't had much gaming time lately (Might and Magic 6 and some OO Werewolf games are about the only spare gaming minutes I can find these days). My Dad went through a bit of a health scare (collapsed lung and pnuemonia), so I've been trying to spend more time with him, but he's doing much better now, so this summer looks to bring more gaming time. smile

I hope all is well with you!

Quote from: rittchard on May 11, 2011, 06:26:57 PM

I dunno about this - I love the core concepts but does it really have to be so damn difficult?  Can't they have an easy mode for losers like me who have no patience?

I think you're right about an easy mode. It would have made the game more accessible to a wider audience.

As for me, though, the difficulty was part of the charm. I am usually unforgiving of high difficulty games, but something about Demons' Souls struck a chord with me.

In one of the earlier threads, someone made a comment that they looked at Demons' Souls as a rogue-like. Once I took the attitude that I was going to die, but the challenge was in finding ways to get further along each time, the game really sunk its hooks in me. When I defeated the final boss, I ran around the room like I had won the Super Bowl. My 11 year thought I was crazy. smile

I even went quite aways into the next higher difficulty after the first play through.

Still, even though the game would not have been the same for me without the difficulty level, I still agree that an easy mode should have been included. I've always felt that way about games (My daughters and I played a very long way into FF13, but just can't beat one boss - we can be fully buffed and fully healed and beat him almost to a pulp, and he will still one shot the entire party, just being able to change that one fight to easy would have been wonderful). If you have an easy mode, more people can enjoy the game, while those that like the higher difficulties can still play the game they way they want to. Everybody wins. Gamers play the game they want. Developers make more money to make more games.

I can't wait for Dark Souls, but I am trying to temper my expectations, knowing that it will be hard to recapture the magic of an unexpected experience like Demons' Souls.

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 01:22:35 PM »

i finally pre-ordered this,and made sure it was the limited edition one as well,i am going to be skint in October crybaby

I never did try Demon Souls,although that and White Knight Chronicles were always on my to buy list

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 04:05:54 PM »

Proud to say my son finished his first cycle of the game last night. When he asked to try it, I let him, but never thought he'd stick with it.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 10:18:54 PM »

I am getting itchy feet about this,and may cancel my pre-order,just read that the game could be even harder than the first one(well,Demon Souls,you know what i mean) which i heard had people committed to the local nuthouse when they tried to play it...apart from Misguided's son eek

Kotaku-Dark Souls Is Only Kind To Be Cruel

i don't mind a challenging game(er...now and then Tongue ),but this sounds as though i am going to be kicking my cat and hurling my Xbox, the controller and myself out of the window

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 11:24:51 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 13, 2011, 10:18:54 PM

I am getting itchy feet about this,and may cancel my pre-order,just read that the game could be even harder than the first one(well,Demon Souls,you know what i mean) which i heard had people committed to the local nuthouse when they tried to play it...apart from Misguided's son eek

i don't mind a challenging game(er...now and then Tongue ),but this sounds as though i am going to be kicking my cat and hurling my Xbox, the controller and myself out of the window

Sounds like a griefer paradise
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 07:21:14 AM »

it's kotaku...

game has level check points now. that right there means it's easier.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 08:48:38 AM »

I must admit I'm a bit divided on the difficulty issue. Demon's Souls balanced on a knife's edge in this regard, and having it be just a little bit more difficult could have ruined the entire game. We'll just have to see if the checkpoints make up for the difficulty spike.

I'm more concerned that the gameplay video I saw more or less required the player to run through a level in order to survive. One thing I liked about Demon's Souls was the slow pacing, being able to handle most of the game at my own speed and being careful. If I have to keep pushing on constantly because there's a ton of enemies behind me I haven't got the capability to kill yet, I'm going to be very annoyed.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 12:56:05 PM »

Actually, this article gives me confidence about the difficulty balance.  What made the first game so "difficult" was (A) the early stage when you could not upgrade your character's stats and (B) the lack of save points in long levels -- forcing you to not make mistakes.  There were a couple of boss fights that were tough, too, before you had certain equipment or spells.  After a while, though, 2nd and 3rd playthroughs, etc.  it began to feel too easy in certain respects to me.  I feared nothing except my own ineptitude in a couple of boss battles. 

I think a more flexible save system will allow them to control the difficulty better, making more consistently challenging encounters, making it a purer experience without resorting to lack of saves.  I'm glad the devs seem to understand the poverty of the first game.

I can't wait!

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 01:47:51 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 14, 2011, 08:48:38 AM

I must admit I'm a bit divided on the difficulty issue. Demon's Souls balanced on a knife's edge in this regard, and having it be just a little bit more difficult could have ruined the entire game. We'll just have to see if the checkpoints make up for the difficulty spike.

This.  Plus if you let too much time go by without playing it was really hard to get back into it.

Hopefully the checkpoints will help, but as TiLT mentioned the difficulty was hard, but just right.  I worry that the checkpoint system is going to make them push the fighting challenge even farther, and the whole delicate balance will be shot to hell.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 05:58:54 PM »

I see they got rid of the hub structure, but I really liked being able to pop from level to level, depending on what I felt like doing.  3-1 too hard?  Ok, level up a bit on 4-1 first, then try it.  I wonder if this redesign is much more linear in nature...which can lead to frustration.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2011, 07:09:12 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on July 14, 2011, 05:58:54 PM

I see they got rid of the hub structure, but I really liked being able to pop from level to level, depending on what I felt like doing.  3-1 too hard?  Ok, level up a bit on 4-1 first, then try it.  I wonder if this redesign is much more linear in nature...which can lead to frustration.

Exact opposite. Much more open. More outdoor spaces with sweeping vistas, and anything you can see, you can walk to.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2011, 07:19:50 PM »

From the Kotaku article:
"If you're one of those players who get to the checkpoint and then fight ahead for 45 minutes to clear a level and then decide to go back to a bonfire to replenish your health and flasks everything will respawn," Namco brand manager Brandon Zien said.

And when those creatures repopulate the dungeon you just made safe, they will come back tougher, angrier.

Any monster clearing you have done is wiped out by visiting a bonfire?  That sounds like fun. Not.

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2011, 07:36:01 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 14, 2011, 07:19:50 PM

From the Kotaku article:
"If you're one of those players who get to the checkpoint and then fight ahead for 45 minutes to clear a level and then decide to go back to a bonfire to replenish your health and flasks everything will respawn," Namco brand manager Brandon Zien said.

And when those creatures repopulate the dungeon you just made safe, they will come back tougher, angrier.

Any monster clearing you have done is wiped out by visiting a bonfire?  That sounds like fun. Not.

and how's that different from the first game?

it's not. being able to clear a level a few places then regain hp/mp will only cheapen the experience and pretty much negate any difficulty. stop wanting your hand held and don't buy the game if you don't want a challenge.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2011, 07:47:39 PM »

Don't worry, I won't buy it yet I'll still play it.  I figure I'll get less annoyed if I don't spend cash on it.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2011, 11:20:42 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on July 14, 2011, 07:36:01 PM

If you read the quote, you'll see that enemies not only respawn when you visit a bonfire, but they actually get tougher and more aggressive.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2011, 12:30:40 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on July 14, 2011, 07:09:12 PM

Quote from: Eightball on July 14, 2011, 05:58:54 PM

Exact opposite. Much more open. More outdoor spaces with sweeping vistas, and anything you can see, you can walk to.

Ah, misread the Kotaku quote.  Then again, it's not written very well...

As we approached what Namco Bandai reps referred to as "The Trapped Castle"—the game called it "Sen's Castle"—we looked behind our knight briefly. At his back was the bridge that lead to Sen's Castle, beyond that the forested open area that is said to lend Dark Souls a less structured world than its predecessor.

Made it seem as if the open world was gated by the different "dungeons" but reading it again, I don't think that's what they meant.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2011, 07:37:49 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 14, 2011, 11:20:42 PM

If you read the quote, you'll see that enemies not only respawn when you visit a bonfire, but they actually get tougher and more aggressive.

so don't? they didnt even have something like that in the first game and I and everyone else did just fine. There has to be a negative effect otherwise it'll be abused and negate all difficulty. we take the path of lease resistance. just keep healing items on hand. the first game they were cheap enough anyways. this game is clearly not catering to you, so why do you care? it's obvious the company was quite happy with how the first one did despite not selling omgmillions. i'm glad someone is not catering to the common denominator for once.

also pirating is so awesome! how can a gaming site keep condoning that is beyond me. that's instant ban on gaf.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2011, 08:37:16 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on July 15, 2011, 07:37:49 AM

also pirating is so awesome! how can a gaming site keep condoning that is beyond me. that's instant ban on gaf.

who said anything about pirating?  there's ways to get a game without buying it:  borrow from a friend, wait until a BxG1 free sale and make it the freebie, get it as a gift, hire a team of ninja's to infiltrate the local game store to acquire a copy; you're the one who seems to have piracy on the brain matey.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2011, 09:15:04 AM »

I just presumed CK meant he was going to rent the game...the damn thieving Pirate Tongue

as for what i put above(that has got quite a few replies since last time i was here),take note that i don't claim to be a great gamer,i just like games,i am pretty sure most of you guys will probably love this game BECAUSE of it being hard...as said i am just getting cold feet,i haven't played Demon Souls but admittedly i pre-ordered this mainly because of the kick ass pre-order package,and i thought it was the best time to try the game  icon_biggrin

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2011, 10:05:46 AM »

so don't? they didnt even have something like that in the first game and I and everyone else did just fine.

It would have been so nice if you actually read the part of your post that I quoted. Instead you ended up just contradicting your own argument and agreeing with my point. Thanks.
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2011, 02:48:19 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 15, 2011, 09:15:04 AM

I just presumed CK meant he was going to rent the game...the damn thieving Pirate Tongue

as for what i put above(that has got quite a few replies since last time i was here),take note that i don't claim to be a great gamer,i just like games,i am pretty sure most of you guys will probably love this game BECAUSE of it being hard...as said i am just getting cold feet,i haven't played Demon Souls but admittedly i pre-ordered this mainly because of the kick ass pre-order package,and i thought it was the best time to try the game  icon_biggrin
You know, demons souls was a hard game, but I still think the difficulty is overrated.  You have to play conservatively, and not rush into an 'over your head' situation.  Most people probably tried to play this like it's dynasty warriors, and that would get you a great helping of frustration and rage quitting.
Edit:  plus you can summon help, if you are struggling with an area. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 02:50:02 PM by ras752000 » Logged

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Vikki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2011, 03:21:08 AM »

I rarely (maybe one a year) purchase games at launch because I am patient and I do not mind waiting a couple of months for a cheaper price.  However, and I know this is odd, but I am buying this on day 1 because I want to reward the devs for porting it to the Xbox 360.  The PS3 is an awesome machine but it is just not in the budget and I have to admit that I had serious envy whenever I read about Demon Souls... it just sounded so interesting and different.  So I am pretty stoked but I hope the Devs do not get too crazy on the difficulty, I like challenges but there is a fine line between tough and frustrating.  Eitherway, I am all in on this one. 
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2011, 11:39:24 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 15, 2011, 10:05:46 AM

so don't? they didnt even have something like that in the first game and I and everyone else did just fine.

It would have been so nice if you actually read the part of your post that I quoted. Instead you ended up just contradicting your own argument and agreeing with my point. Thanks.

what? Care to explain this because I have no idea what you're inferring here. If you're suggesting the first game allowed you to regen hp in the dungeon you are wrong.

CK: And you're right, there are ways to try out for free, but your wording suggested otherwise to the legal methods. Don't try and to down play that aspect. You posted before about pirating witcher 2. And if it was that, why not simply so say and avoid any and all confusion? Besides, renting is still spending money on the game.

The point I'm making here is this game is for a specific niche that wants a challenge and to feel like they actually beat something. If you can't handle that this game isn't for you, simple as that. And I agree with Ras, the difficulty of DS is vastly overrated. It's hard, but it's fair. I played a few hours a while back with a brand new guy and just tore it up. Once you understand how it works it's fair. I don't understand why everyone is shitting on the difficulty when that's the selling point of the game. That's like saying CoD sucks because you shoot guys( and it does suck, but not because of that).

I will play the shit out of this game and enjoy the no hand holding casual play that every fucking game has.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2011, 11:47:51 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on July 17, 2011, 11:39:24 PM

what? Care to explain this because I have no idea what you're inferring here. If you're suggesting the first game allowed you to regen hp in the dungeon you are wrong.

Okay, sorry. I'll stop overestimating you. Let me bold the important parts of the quoted segment for you:

Quote from: TiLT on July 15, 2011, 10:05:46 AM

Summarized:

A) This isn't any different from before.
B) Here's how it is different.
A) This is completely different from before, which proves you are wrong.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2011, 12:18:49 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on July 17, 2011, 11:39:24 PM

And if it was that, why not simply so say and avoid any and all confusion? Besides, renting is still spending money on the game.

mainly because I honestly don't give a flying frack whether you're confused or not (as TiLT has pointed out it's not that hard to do anyways).   besides, from what I understand pirating on the consoles is such a PITA it really doesn't need clarification.  the nice part of renting is the you're still not forking out the full amount for the game, and even then the publishers/devs ain't seeing a penny of your cash.

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: