http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 01:48:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/PS3] Dark Souls  (Read 28602 times)
Roman
Gaming Trend Senior Member

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: October 31, 2011, 02:52:34 AM »

I got 30k for hers and 15k for the iron golem  eek

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #561 on: October 31, 2011, 06:02:31 AM »

Still not worth it. At all.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: October 31, 2011, 06:09:20 AM »

Do the boss souls in your inventory carry over to NG+? 
Inverarity
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: October 31, 2011, 07:27:50 AM »

Definitely not worth it. I wish I could get Queelag's soul back, but I learned the hard way not to use them for plain ol' souls
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: October 31, 2011, 08:12:17 AM »

Quote from: Roman on October 31, 2011, 02:52:34 AM

that's like 4 mins of soul farming lol. you can get 6k a pop in about 30 seconds easily. well, if the stupid caster mob follows you.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: October 31, 2011, 01:33:07 PM »

Any thoughts on which of the two AL bosses to kill first.  I keep thinking to bring the skinny one down first, but I've been trying to get humanity so I can kill them in my own game and so I have been getting summoned and everyone seems to want to kill the fat one first.  I've yet to be involved in a successful attempt at killing these guys, so no humanity for me.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: October 31, 2011, 01:44:42 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on October 31, 2011, 06:09:20 AM

Yes.
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: October 31, 2011, 01:55:28 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on October 31, 2011, 08:12:17 AM

Quote from: Roman on October 31, 2011, 02:52:34 AM

that's like 4 mins of soul farming lol. you can get 6k a pop in about 30 seconds easily. well, if the stupid caster mob follows you.

Oh I know about that little fun in the garden  ninja

I 'needed' to sell their souls in order to buy lightning bolts - which I thought would help with the fatty/skinny battle.

I did not sell Queelag's - I am rocking her Fury sword +3. thumbsup

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: October 31, 2011, 02:00:27 PM »

you silly cheat farming people, next thing you know you'll be using cheaty controllers... oh, wait, nm  icon_twisted

Love ya anyway.  ninja
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: October 31, 2011, 02:17:24 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 31, 2011, 02:00:27 PM

you silly cheat farming people, next thing you know you'll be using cheaty controllers... oh, wait, nm  icon_twisted

Love ya anyway.  ninja

hardy har har. Love you too.

Bye the Bye - I never actually said that I did the Garden soul thingy. I simply admitted to knowing about it. paranoid

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: October 31, 2011, 02:22:40 PM »

Forgive me if I drew a conclusion based on prior knowledge of the subject  ninja

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: October 31, 2011, 02:29:49 PM »

Quote from: Beer Goggles on October 31, 2011, 01:44:42 PM

Yes.
Thanks.  I don't have the stats for most of the boss soul weapons, so they've just been sitting in my inventory.  I did use Quelaag's to make the sword, which is pretty good.  My best boss soul spent was for the crystal ring shield.  That thing is really effective in boss fights.  For 4 kings I ran up next to each king and just hit R2 until they were dead.  It did more damage than my best weapon.  This was after 3 previous attempts trying different weapons/tactics.  It also works well on the big guy and slim fight if you have summoned help to distract their attention...or if you're trying to help someone else.  

Some of the best youtube walkthroughs are the ones showing the shield run shortcut back to the boss door.  The boss fights by themselves are challenging enough, but the developers are f'ng sadistic making us fight/run back again after each defeat.

I have Seath, Nito, and the Bed of Chaos left, what's the ideal order (if there is any) for going after them?  My best divine weapon is only +1, so I was thinking of going back to Sen's fortress to find the ring that adds to finding drops, and then farming slimes or those maggot things in the swamp for green titanite.  I didn't think heading into the catacombs was a great idea without a good divine weapon.  
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: October 31, 2011, 09:16:47 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on October 31, 2011, 02:29:49 PM

Yes.
I have Seath, Nito, and the Bed of Chaos left, what's the ideal order (if there is any) for going after them?  My best divine weapon is only +1, so I was thinking of going back to Sen's fortress to find the ring that adds to finding drops, and then farming slimes or those maggot things in the swamp for green titanite.  I didn't think heading into the catacombs was a great idea without a good divine weapon.  
Getting to Nito can be very frustrating.  I found it to be the actual fight to be VERY easy with a decent divine weapon to start the battle with.  The area just before Nito, however, is the best (non-exploitative) farming area in the game, imho.

I found Seath to be extremely easy once I figured out the strategy.  I took no damage on that fight.  I also found the duke's archives to be one of the coolest areas in the game.  Keep in mind that opening up the archives and getting to the Seath-run bonfire is a time investment. 

Bed of Chaos doesn't really require anything special from your character.  It's more puzzly, like the 3rd boss in world 2 of Demon's.

I would recommend getting a +5 divine weapon by running the duke's archives up to Seath.  Then suck it up for the Tomb of Giants.  Then you can take a breather (slywink) with Bed of Chaos.  Alternatively, get the Tomb of Giants out of the way, then farm in front of Nito's fog door until your gills just can't hold anymore souls or humanity.  Cash in, kill Nito and then enjoy the beautiful archives.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: November 01, 2011, 06:26:41 AM »

there's an easier way to fight nito. just wait for him to roll up close to the entrance while you kill the skellies. then rush to nito and stay close the entire fight. his attacks will kill the skeletons and the only dangerous attack is his ae thing. just estus after that. took me about a minute. it's slightly harder than pinwheel.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: November 01, 2011, 12:29:46 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on November 01, 2011, 06:26:41 AM

there's an easier way to fight nito. just wait for him to roll up close to the entrance while you kill the skellies. then rush to nito and stay close the entire fight. his attacks will kill the skeletons and the only dangerous attack is his ae thing. just estus after that. took me about a minute. it's slightly harder than pinwheel.
Well, there's his floor spike attack, which he only does from range, that can suck unless you get the audio cue.  Outside of that, the only danger is aggroing the big skellies in the back.  Agreed that it's an easy fight once the small skeletons are down.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: November 01, 2011, 02:44:48 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on October 31, 2011, 09:16:47 PM

Quote from: Roguetad on October 31, 2011, 02:29:49 PM

Yes.
Getting to Nito can be very frustrating.  I found it to be the actual fight to be VERY easy with a decent divine weapon to start the battle with.  The area just before Nito, however, is the best (non-exploitative) farming area in the game, imho.

I found Seath to be extremely easy once I figured out the strategy.  I took no damage on that fight.  I also found the duke's archives to be one of the coolest areas in the game.  Keep in mind that opening up the archives and getting to the Seath-run bonfire is a time investment. 

Bed of Chaos doesn't really require anything special from your character.  It's more puzzly, like the 3rd boss in world 2 of Demon's.

I would recommend getting a +5 divine weapon by running the duke's archives up to Seath.  Then suck it up for the Tomb of Giants.  Then you can take a breather (slywink) with Bed of Chaos.  Alternatively, get the Tomb of Giants out of the way, then farm in front of Nito's fog door until your gills just can't hold anymore souls or humanity.  Cash in, kill Nito and then enjoy the beautiful archives.

Awesome, thanks.  I think I will save the duke's archives for last.  I got a lot of green titanite from the slugs in the swamps last night, and was able to upgrade my divine weapon to +5.  Next stop: catacombs and tomb of giants.
Inverarity
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: November 01, 2011, 08:52:20 PM »

I found a crystal Halberd last night. With a durability of 20, is this even worth using? I'm under the possibly incorrect impression that these can't be repaired, and durability can't be upped.

My current, regular ol' Halberd is +10 and eventually I will do something to it (raw, lightning, etc.)
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: November 01, 2011, 09:23:08 PM »

Quote from: Inverarity on November 01, 2011, 08:52:20 PM

I found a crystal Halberd last night. With a durability of 20, is this even worth using? I'm under the possibly incorrect impression that these can't be repaired, and durability can't be upped.

My current, regular ol' Halberd is +10 and eventually I will do something to it (raw, lightning, etc.)

There is a ring that reduces how much weapons deteriorate.  I had a crystal shield for a while (I have the crystal halberd as well, but haven't used it) and using the ring, I never wore out the shield, but it was going to be unrepairable once it ran out.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: November 02, 2011, 02:27:45 AM »

The large patch of goodness hits very, very soon.  Looks like a solid list of fixes including almost everything on my list of wants.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: November 02, 2011, 03:20:07 AM »

Sweet, I've been avoiding playing Dark Souls until the patch hits, been playing the original Demon Souls in the meantime with the little gametime I've had lately

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #580 on: November 02, 2011, 05:46:32 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 02, 2011, 02:27:45 AM

The large patch of goodness hits very, very soon.  Looks like a solid list of fixes including almost everything on my list of wants.

Link?
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: November 02, 2011, 06:29:16 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 02, 2011, 05:46:32 AM

Quote from: Harkonis on November 02, 2011, 02:27:45 AM

Link?
English

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: November 02, 2011, 09:07:42 AM »

hope we get the 360 version timely. i'm a bit worried. was reading all the changes at work earlier and they seem pretty good. certainly going to change the boss fights since a lot of the cheese is gone, which is probably good. although i'm worried about 4 kings. fight seems a bit much, but i'm sure with help it's easy.

also summoning fixes, yeah!
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: November 02, 2011, 04:00:02 PM »

i just read the link - it sounds like its going live today (i would think getting microsoft cert for japan means its certified for live generally?) or was that link a ps3 link?

things i hope are fixed - that forest hunter glitch that got me kicked out! slywink
things i LOVE - blacksmith selling twinkling titanite!

things that worry me - whats this "one second delay" when attacking "fix"?  at least in single player and co-op im pretty well adjusted to the flow and speed of combat - i hope this doesnt seriously throw me off...
Inverarity
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: November 02, 2011, 04:37:37 PM »

You'd know if you are being affected by the 1 second delay. It's brutal and it only happens intermittently. Press a button to attack and nothing happens....then nothing happens...THEN you attack. At which point the timing is off and the snakeman/birdgirl proceeds to kick the shit out of you.

It started happening to me after blighttown.

Hey, when do you guys Kindle? Every bonfire or just select ones? Humanity is at a premium (for me at least) and I'm not sure if I should spend two on a particular bonfire (Painted World). I have one "in the chamber" so to speak (on the screen as opposed to in my inventory) so I'm thinking I'll probably lose it soon enough anyway.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: November 02, 2011, 04:48:56 PM »

The patch might end up being delayed for us 360 people.  Looks like since the publisher was different there are some hoops to jump.   Roll Eyes
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: November 02, 2011, 06:03:30 PM »

ah good deal about that 1 second thing - the way it was written up it didnt sound like a bug fix, more like a retooling of combat.

and i dont often kindle, i keep mine banked as items - ive played most of the game as a hollow frown
sounds like a bummer about the 360 patch.  i hope its not an issue of it just hitting cert because that takes a while.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 02, 2011, 06:34:26 PM »

Quote from: Inverarity on November 02, 2011, 04:37:37 PM

You'd know if you are being affected by the 1 second delay. It's brutal and it only happens intermittently. Press a button to attack and nothing happens....then nothing happens...THEN you attack. At which point the timing is off and the snakeman/birdgirl proceeds to kick the shit out of you.

It started happening to me after blighttown.

Hey, when do you guys Kindle? Every bonfire or just select ones? Humanity is at a premium (for me at least) and I'm not sure if I should spend two on a particular bonfire (Painted World). I have one "in the chamber" so to speak (on the screen as opposed to in my inventory) so I'm thinking I'll probably lose it soon enough anyway.
If you want more humanity, here are a few of things I found:
Spoiler for Hiden:
  • The female undead merchant in the long hallway between Firelink and the entrance to the Depths sells a limited amount
  • Rats drop humanity.  I've had my best luck with the 3 between the bridge dragon and the entrance to the Undead Parish, but this is most likely random.
  • There are 2 key farming spots.  One is in the dungeon area of the Dukes Archives and the other (the best by far) is the area at the end of the Tomb of Giants just outside of Gravelord Nito's Fog door.  The endlessly spawning baby skeletons drop humanity at an alarming rate.  Spend a couple of hours there and you'll have enough to double kindle all the bonfires in the game.

which is to say that you have access to "endless" supplies of humanity later in the game.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 02, 2011, 06:57:55 PM »

More complete patch notes here-
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450602&page=11

Significant nerfs to magic users and pyros it appears.  Also they are removing some of the Engrish.  "You Defeated" is now "Victory Achieved." frown
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: November 02, 2011, 07:43:57 PM »

Quote from: kathode on November 02, 2011, 06:57:55 PM

Significant nerfs to magic users and pyros it appears.  Also they are removing some of the Engrish.  "You Defeated" is now "Victory Achieved." frown
There's no victory in Dark Souls, only defeat, even when you win. icon_twisted
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 02, 2011, 08:24:40 PM »

Quote from: kathode on November 02, 2011, 06:57:55 PM

Thanks for these notes.

I noticed an interesting one: "Official Guide nerfed."

Grimwar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: November 03, 2011, 12:13:26 AM »

Glad they fixed the Dragon Head glitch.  I tried it on an alt so I wouldn't mess with my main, and man was it retarded.  I taped down the square button and went to go grocery shopping.  I had 600 million souls when I got back.  Used them all to level and the game became too easy.  I was killing bosses in 5 hits on average.  It was cool for a few minutes, but I went back to my main character. 

I am kind of sad about the Gold Hemmed nerf.  I love being mobile and the Gold Hemmed armor was great for people who like to dodge instead of tanking.  I guess I will go see how bad it was nerfed before I make a judgement.  Havel's will probably be my new armor set if the nerf was severe, especially if Gold Hemmed can still not be upgraded.  I am so used to dodging and parrying everything though, it will take a while to adjust to blocking. 

I am just glad they did not touch the Artorias Greatsword.  I am not sure why people say it sucks.  It is by far my best weapon, out performing my +5 lightning spear by quite a bit.   The only time I use my spear anymore is in very tight quarters.

Has anyone gone back to Demon Souls after Dark Souls?  How does it compare overall?  I never got far in Demon Souls, I was still a WoW junky then.  Dark Souls is making me want to go back and give Demon Souls a proper play through.

Playing: Nothing really.  Bring on Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: November 03, 2011, 01:16:42 AM »

I've been playing demon souls while waiting for the patch, and the first game is simultaneously harder and easier than Dark Souls at the same time. Having no estus flask is missed, also the item limit is irritating.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
onnel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: November 03, 2011, 05:08:40 AM »

Feeling a bit stalled...I'm up to the butterfly boss in the garden, but don't feel confident taking it alone and also working my way in to blight town, but it's still pretty nasty for me (I'm level 28).

I'd love to get some help for the butterfly, but even as human I don't find any summon signs around (and the NPC one is now gone...can you only access NPC summons once?).

Any thoughts on where I should go/what I should do?

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: November 03, 2011, 05:13:46 AM »

NPC one should still be there if it ever was.  Are you sure you're human?
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: November 03, 2011, 05:54:28 AM »

Finally beat Fatty and Skinny tonight on my own. Feels great.
Also beat the 2 demons at the bottom of Sens. Was able to get Queelags fury sword up to +4 !!!

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #596 on: November 03, 2011, 05:58:04 AM »

Quote from: onnel on November 03, 2011, 05:08:40 AM

Feeling a bit stalled...I'm up to the butterfly boss in the garden, but don't feel confident taking it alone and also working my way in to blight town, but it's still pretty nasty for me (I'm level 28).

I'd love to get some help for the butterfly, but even as human I don't find any summon signs around (and the NPC one is now gone...can you only access NPC summons once?).

Moonlight Butterfly is possibly the easiest and most relaxing boss fight in the game (when not bringing cheese tactics into the mix, anyway), so go ahead and fight it alone. It's nothing to worry about. I took it out on my first attempt, and I'm playing a pure melee character, the worst matchup for that fight.
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: November 03, 2011, 01:30:09 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 03, 2011, 05:58:04 AM

Moonlight Butterfly is possibly the easiest and most relaxing boss fight in the game (when not bringing cheese tactics into the mix, anyway), so go ahead and fight it alone. It's nothing to worry about. I took it out on my first attempt, and I'm playing a pure melee character, the worst matchup for that fight.

Agreed - and I am far from the best Dark Souls player.
Take a peek @ Youtube - if you need to. I beat 'her' after losing once.
Spoiler for Hiden:
just roll away from her 'seeker' attack and make sure that only one of her exploding attacks hits you. Rinse and repeat- at 2 times in the fight she will land on the wall and you have free shots on her

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: November 03, 2011, 01:35:02 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 03, 2011, 05:58:04 AM

It's all about rolling and timing.  I'm not sure whether it was the easiest fight for me -- many are easy when you know what to do -- but you certainly won't benefit that much from another player's help.  I would vote for getting it out of the way so you can grab the divine ember.  Alternatively, you are in a good early soul farming area, so you could farm for a bit until summon signs show up.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 03, 2011, 02:43:25 PM »

Quote from: Roman on November 03, 2011, 05:54:28 AM

Finally beat Fatty and Skinny tonight on my own. Feels great.
Also beat the 2 demons at the bottom of Sens. Was able to get Queelags fury sword up to +4 !!!

Any tips you can offer on Fatty and Skinny?  I've been getting summoned to try to get humanity to summon my own help for this fight and have yet to be part of a successful fight on these guys.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: