http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 04:19:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/PS3] Dark Souls  (Read 27863 times)
forgeforsaken
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: October 24, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »

Quote from: Roman on October 24, 2011, 06:55:01 PM

any ideas on what this sword is and where you get it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kTwGkQj_t2Q

Queelag Fury Sword, you make it from the Queelag boss soul and a +10 curved sword.  The giant smith forges it.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: October 24, 2011, 07:03:37 PM »

Quote from: Roman on October 24, 2011, 06:55:01 PM

any ideas on what this sword is and where you get it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kTwGkQj_t2Q

i assume it's the same sword throughout. that's quellelags or whatever furysword. bring a +10 curved weapon to the smith in anor londo with quel's soul. it's pretty awesome.

wow beat by secs
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: October 25, 2011, 12:54:27 AM »

Can anyone find pvp with the covenant of the darkmoon blade?

The blue orb never works and I wear the ring constantly and have never been summoned.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: October 25, 2011, 01:27:20 AM »

nito and 4 kings down. almost there.
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: October 25, 2011, 01:34:15 AM »

Seath the Scaleless down smile
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: October 25, 2011, 02:12:31 AM »

Estus delays are my biggest pet peeve in this game.

Numerous times I have died because I pressed flask, nothing happened, shield block ...then the flask goes off exposing me, dead.

Roll Eyes

At first I thought it was all in my head but it's happened way to many times and I'm sure I'm not tripping over buttons
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: October 25, 2011, 03:44:42 AM »

nope, it's a pretty common known bug. very annoying and frustrating. happened a few times fighting nito
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #527 on: October 25, 2011, 04:54:28 AM »

There seems to be some sort of controller delay bug in the game. I've noticed it for other things apart from Estus Flasks too, such as attacking. I've sometimes hit the L1-trigger only to have my character attack with his right hand weapon (once this happened at a point where I hadn't had my finger near the right triggers for a minute or so) instead of blocking with his shield. It doesn't happen often, but for a game that punishes mistakes this hard, it still happens too often.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: October 25, 2011, 09:33:42 AM »

went back to the stray demon, pretty much over in 30seconds. what a difference upgraded gear makes lol
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: October 25, 2011, 03:22:09 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on October 25, 2011, 09:33:42 AM

went back to the stray demon, pretty much over in 30seconds. what a difference upgraded gear makes lol
I had a slightly different experience when I fought him.  It took me about 5 minutes.  I revisted the Asylum before heading to Anor Lando.  Once I figured out how to close the distance to get behind him, and learned his 2 main attacks (the blast and floaty butt stomp), it was just a matter of executing well and not screwing up.  I like the lightning spear, but it's not an ideal weapon for fighting big bosses since it doesn't slash.  I had some misses during each try that I know a slashing weapon would've hit.  I need to find the Anor Lando blacksmith so I can upgrade my axe to lightning.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: October 25, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »

I beat Dark Souls a couple of days ago and I must say it was an incredible ride all the way through. The final fight lacked some, drama, but I think that Lord Gwyn did exactly what any top dog trying to defend his realm would do... get right to work. The good ending was pretty meh.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 26, 2011, 02:25:46 AM »

welp, I'm down to the last zone. Will probably finish tonight or in the next few days since my vacation is ending. The last few zones weren't too bad outside of the pitch black zone. The crystal caves were easy because everyone left notes and once you do it once, you got it down. I was going to try for the sword from Seath, but after seeing it's made for mages, I didn't. The archives were kind of neat.

I'll probably make a new character since Skyrim is coming out in a few weeks. Maybe go back to NG+ later, but who knows. Goto old republic, ff13-2 and then diablo 3 coming up. pretty full for the next 10 years with diablo.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 26, 2011, 01:15:12 PM »

I was kind of stuck on the game, so had taken a break from it the last week.  I picked it up again last night and figured out a much better way to beat those silver knights in Anor Londo (the ones past the second bonfire) since I realized I have a shield that has much better stability and also figured out how to backstab more consistently, so am using the black night sword one-handed as my weapon, changing from the Iaito +10 I had which wasn't cutting it. Still, those giant knights right outside the boss room suck. I spent some time just practicing on the silver knights and getting souls to buy arrows for that crazy bow you find and also worked on the lightning demon.  I tried invading the NPC you can invade there and was quickly beaten down.  Problem right now is I have no humanity, so I might have to get summoned a few times there (which would be good to see what the boss is and what it does) and build up some humanity before I go take it on myself.  I've learned in this game that having friends is much better than soloing these bosses alone.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 01:17:25 PM by The Grue » Logged

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: October 26, 2011, 05:06:29 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 26, 2011, 01:15:12 PM

I've learned in this game that having friends is much better than soloing these bosses alone.
I know the feeling of isolation is part of the game design (and it works well), but I wish there was a way to link up with friends, even if you needed a rare stone or an item do it.  So you couldn't do it often, but still had the option to provide specifc help when needed.

I just did all the stuff you mentioned yesterday, and I would gladly help you clear out the rest of Anor Lando and Bigboy and Slim.  I learned during the Capra Demon fight that the developers really want you to team up during boss fights.  The challange is still there to solo boss fights, which is great, but I almost always go human and summon now.  Afterwards, I return the favor and help as many as I can before moving on.  They get sun medals from me too.

Most of the summons for Biggy and Small are at the last bonfire.  I was reviewing the different summons options before I made my boss run, and came across a player with coolest armor I've seen in the game.  It was bright gold with an awesome helmet.  He also had some crazy sword.  So after making my purely superficial selection, he zones into my game and he starts one shotting everything.  Once we get to the boss fight he picked Biggy first, so I just followed his lead.  He surprised me by hanging back and launching all kinds of magic I'd never seen before.  I ended up doing the close in melee.  With the big man down, Slim supercharged and we focused on him.  I made a stupid mistake and almost paid with my own defeat with Slim only having a sliver of life left.  He does a super vertical attack that if he lands on you will mess you up. I watched my entire health bar go yellow, only to realize a second later that there was just the smallest sliver of red remaining.  I chugged  estus quickly and my partner killed Slim.  I have great respect for any of you that did that fight solo.

On the way to see the Sun Princess, I saw an orange message that read, "Be wary of chest".  Once I enterd her bedroom, I cracked up when I saw her.  There was another message right before her that said, "Weakness: Chest."   
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 26, 2011, 05:14:25 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on October 26, 2011, 05:06:29 PM

Quote from: The Grue on October 26, 2011, 01:15:12 PM

I've learned in this game that having friends is much better than soloing these bosses alone.
I know the feeling of isolation is part of the game design (and it works well), but I wish there was a way to link up with friends, even if you needed a rare stone or an item do it.  So you couldn't do it often, but still had the option to provide specifc help when needed.

I just did all the stuff you mentioned yesterday, and I would gladly help you clear out the rest of Anor Lando and Bigboy and Slim.  I learned during the Capra Demon fight that the developers really want you to team up during boss fights.  The challange is still there to solo boss fights, which is great, but I almost always go human and summon now.  Afterwards, I return the favor and help as many as I can before moving on.  They get sun medals from me too.

Most of the summons for Biggy and Small are at the last bonfire.  I was reviewing the different summons options before I made my boss run, and came across a player with coolest armor I've seen in the game.  It was bright gold with an awesome helmet.  He also had some crazy sword.  So after making my purely superficial selection, he zones into my game and he starts one shotting everything.  Once we get to the boss fight he picked Biggy first, so I just followed his lead.  He surprised me by hanging back and launching all kinds of magic I'd never seen before.  I ended up doing the close in melee.  With the big man down, Slim supercharged and we focused on him.  I made a stupid mistake and almost paid with my own defeat with Slim only having a sliver of life left.  He does a super vertical attack that if he lands on you will mess you up. I watched my entire health bar go yellow, only to realize a second later that there was just the smallest sliver of red remaining.  I chugged  estus quickly and my partner killed Slim.  I have great respect for any of you that did that fight solo.

On the way to see the Sun Princess, I saw an orange message that read, "Be wary of chest".  Once I enterd her bedroom, I cracked up when I saw her.  There was another message right before her that said, "Weakness: Chest."   

Mine said 'Imminent Huge Chest'
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: October 26, 2011, 05:53:18 PM »

In the large building where you walk along the beams, near the back is the statue of the sun princess.  On a beam above and off to the side of her massive cleavage was a message that simply said, "Happiness", rated up to 7.  I went ahead a bumped it to 8. 
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: October 26, 2011, 07:34:40 PM »

that NPC is the new sticky white stuff
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: October 27, 2011, 03:12:04 AM »

Finally beat Queelag tonight!! Now on to Sen's Fortress.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Inverarity
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: October 27, 2011, 07:23:36 AM »

Quote from: Roman on October 27, 2011, 03:12:04 AM

Yes! Someone playing at my pace. Quealag was a royal pain the ass for me, so when I beat her I wanted out of Blighttown as soon as possible. Now I regret that decision because it's annoying to get back to the lower levels of blighttown. If you have any interest in doing the great hollow, and you have the stomach to deal with the curse basilisks, I recommend you head there so you don't have to deal with what I'm dealing with if you want to head back later. Granted, I could probably do Sens now, but I think I need a ranged attack before I venture to far into the fortress. I literally have no attunement slots so I'm going to the hollow to get some souls.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #539 on: October 27, 2011, 07:35:53 AM »

Quote from: Inverarity on October 27, 2011, 07:23:36 AM

Yes! Someone playing at my pace. Quealag was a royal pain the ass for me, so when I beat her I wanted out of Blighttown as soon as possible. Now I regret that decision because it's annoying to get back to the lower levels of blighttown. If you have any interest in doing the great hollow, and you have the stomach to deal with the curse basilisks, I recommend you head there so you don't have to deal with what I'm dealing with if you want to head back later. Granted, I could probably do Sens now, but I think I need a ranged attack before I venture to far into the fortress. I literally have no attunement slots so I'm going to the hollow to get some souls.

I beat Queelag on my first try.  icon_razz

Anyway, it's not that hard to get back to the bottom of Blighttown since there's a handy shortcut:

Spoiler for Hiden:
You can get there very quickly from the Firelink Shrine. When at the bonfire in the Blighttown swamp, exit the tunnel and head right. You'll want to get onto the water wheel and keep climbing up at every opportunity you get. Once at the very top you should see a chest. Open it and get the key inside, then head in the only way you can go from there. You'll run into some of the ogre-like enemies here. Kill them (or run past) and you'll end up in the Valley of Drakes. Cross the ravine and use your key (or the master key if you have it) to open the door there. Walk through (into New Londo Ruins. Don't cross the bridges unless you know what you're doing!) and head left, and you'll find a tower with an elevator. Ride the elevator and walk along the path you find, and you'll end up at the Firelink Shrine. You can easily take this path back later, which means you only have to deal with a few ogres (which you can still run past) and an insect or two before you're back at the Blighttown bonfire.

Also, don't forget that the poison dart blowers don't respawn, so if any of them are bothering you in Blighttown it's well worth the effort to take them out, even if it kills you in the process. The shortcut takes you very, very close to a small army of them gathered at one specific place, so be careful about wandering around.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: October 27, 2011, 08:17:47 AM »

don't worry, you're not too far off from BT being insanely easy to get back to. plus that shortcut too.
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: October 27, 2011, 01:11:13 PM »

Quote from: Inverarity on October 27, 2011, 07:23:36 AM

Well I did wait - I am at level 54 right now. I 'finsihed' BT a while ago but did not want to fight her after dying so many times. I had no idea
Spoiler for Hiden:
the 2nd bell was there
so I left and tried the catacombs thinking that the
Spoiler for Hiden:
2nd bell
was lower than the 1st. I died once down in the catacombs on the boss there and decided to looks for pointers on the web about where the
Spoiler for Hiden:
2nd bell
was,

Sen's Fortress doesn't appear to be too hard though - I watched a brief walk through video last night.

Inverarity
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: October 27, 2011, 02:36:51 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 27, 2011, 07:35:53 AM

I beat Queelag on my first try

Yeah, I'm not sure why I had so much trouble with her compared to some of the other bosses. I was able to take out the Gaping Dragon on my first try....same with the Giant Rat.

Even sadder, I know that shortcut (it's how I got out of Blighttown after I killed Queelag) and yet I'm still having issues getting back. saywhat Maybe it's the switch to using a halberd (that's my excuse, anyway).

Quote from: Roman on October 27, 2011, 01:11:13 PM

Well I did wait - I am at level 54 right now.

Ahh, I see. In that case you're a bit ahead of me. I'm at level 41.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 02:39:08 PM by Inverarity » Logged
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #543 on: October 28, 2011, 01:24:39 AM »

Review is up on the front page smile
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: October 28, 2011, 05:54:49 AM »

Beat Ceaseless discharge and Sif tonight. Trying to get better equipped for another run at Sens. Or maybe back to the catacombs?

Question. Now that I have Heal spell equipped I see little white glowing donuts all over. What are they? When I walk over one it super imposes over my heal spell indicator?

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: October 28, 2011, 06:27:14 AM »

those are resonances, i guess miracles will have stronger power if used near them.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: October 28, 2011, 04:03:20 PM »

hmm romy you beat sif before you hit sens?  i found sif REALLY hard (he destroyed me on my first and only attempt) and that was well after i had taken down sens - mind giving me a few pointes?

in the OMG bummer department, i found a pretty nasty bug.  i joined the
Spoiler for Hiden:
forest covenant
hoping to kill a quick three people and get a ring.  i think i put down one or two, then quick out while in the forest
Spoiler for Hiden:
it was beyond the forest seal door
.  the next time i reloaded, i get a free 2k souls, to which i say to myself "self, neato, free souls!"  'course i quickly find out where they came from, as the
Spoiler for Hiden:
mage who had stopped attacking me when i joined, now was firing my way
.  i run to the covenant head, who informs me ive broken the covenant by killing someone frown  absolution would cost me north of 100K souls frown

so as an fyi, if youre in this covenant, DONT save in the forest (at a minimum) and if youre doing what im doing, id get the three kills, the ring and then leave via the bell tower guy, who is pretty easy to get to
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: October 28, 2011, 04:36:12 PM »

Doopri - it took me about 6-10 times before I could beat him.
I gave up trying to use the Drake Sword +2 because I found it just wasn't going enough damage when I was able to get close up and personal. I also had to abandon the very 1st ring I got (increase in health/endurance/capacity) in favour of the Hornet ring.

1st time around I was a little too heavy despite Havel's ring. So I switched to my ninja armor from Blightown.

I am by nature an aggressive player so I kept coming at him and rolling under his sword sweeps so that I was under his belly or just beside him a lot.

I used my Gargoyle's halberd which is at +5(raw) it does about 325pts or so. I also picked up a tower shield or something in my travels.

The first few times I was using my elite knight +3 shield and found that he was depleting my stamina too much - so on went a larger shield. There were several times when he hit me that he was forced back across the arena. I did not parry (I can't) so I guess this shield was just too big?

I will check later tonight on the exact name of the shield.

So all in all:

Ninja armour (Shadow)
Large shield
+5 Raw Halberd
Havel's ring
Hornet ring (amplified critical hits)

Not sure how much this helps.
Just roll into / under him. And keep hitting his legs/stomach. He will jump away - rinse and repeat.
It worked for me.

Edit - ok found the name of the shield - Eagle Shield: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/eagle-shield

« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 04:38:58 PM by Roman » Logged

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: October 28, 2011, 05:29:07 PM »

I used all 10 of my estus and 5 heals on my Sif fight, but that was mostly due to me doing dumb things like trying to roll under his double whirl attack.  He telegraphs his attacks, so if you don't spaz like I was doing it should be a fairly straightforward fight.  Even with me f*ng up like I was, I still managed to beat him by rolling under his belly when he came near.

Don't rush in when he does the whirly-whirl attack.

I think I was SL52.  I was using a lightning axe+1, eagle shield, and slim's armor (formerly of the O&S duo).

I could have also done better if I had remembered to switch to 2hand grip when I was under his belly.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: October 29, 2011, 08:42:51 AM »

fin. fun ride. Will make a pyro now.

I will come back to NG once they patch is out to normalize the weapons. I don't want to use only lightening.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: October 30, 2011, 12:04:55 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on October 29, 2011, 08:42:51 AM

I will come back to NG once they patch is out to normalize the weapons. I don't want to use only lightening.
Gratz.

I'm poised before the final fight.  I will be very sad to finish this, to know there are no new zones to explore.  This has been one of the most satisfying non-mmo experiences I've ever had in a game.  I'm looking forward to NG+ and beyond but I know that nothing will compare to the newness of the first run-through.  This game and Demon's just clicked with me.

Thanks again to Dante Rising's STD and Semiconscious for bringing the series to my attention.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: October 30, 2011, 03:49:46 AM »

Made it to the Anor London smith today and upgraded my +10 scimitar to Queelags Fury. Love love love this weapon.
Had the same troubles as everyone else with those god damn knight and the scud missiles when you are trying to run up at them. Hated that part but got lucky when he fell smile.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: October 30, 2011, 10:01:08 AM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on October 30, 2011, 12:04:55 AM

Quote from: jersoc on October 29, 2011, 08:42:51 AM

Gratz.

I'm poised before the final fight.  I will be very sad to finish this, to know there are no new zones to explore.  This has been one of the most satisfying non-mmo experiences I've ever had in a game.  I'm looking forward to NG+ and beyond but I know that nothing will compare to the newness of the first run-through.  This game and Demon's just clicked with me.

Thanks again to Dante Rising's STD and Semiconscious for bringing the series to my attention.

it was a bit bitter sweet, but apparently ng+ is way harder. so i guess it's like there's a whole new game now. from what i'm reading boss fights play out a bit differently too.

I made my pyro last night and beat the starting boss in seconds, ha. amazing how fighting all those bosses before made this one a joke. it's like a lame man's stray demon
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: October 30, 2011, 05:09:28 PM »

Fatty and Skinny boss fight is killing me - stepping away. icon_mad

Grimwar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: October 30, 2011, 05:27:05 PM »

Quote from: Roman on October 30, 2011, 05:09:28 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
You can cheese this fight.  Kill Ornstein first.  Just keep as much separation between him and Smough as possible.  Use the pillars to slow Smough down.  Once you kill Ornstein, use the pillars again.  Keep Smough on the other side of the pillar from you at all times.  You should be actually touching the pillar.  When he goes to swing, just step back, then run around the pillar to get a hit or two in.  Reset and do it again.  You can kill him without out ever taking a hit in the second stage.

Playing: Nothing really.  Bring on Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: October 30, 2011, 06:36:31 PM »

Quote from: Roman on October 30, 2011, 05:09:28 PM

summon some help. AL is a big summon zone, so shouldn't take too long to get some help.
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: October 30, 2011, 11:23:11 PM »

No humanity so I can't summon frown plus I can't see any summon signs ( think because I am hollow )

Since my initial post I managed to kill skinny 3 times in succession but fatty kills me each time.

I will try the pillar thing later. Thanks!!!

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: October 31, 2011, 01:22:50 AM »

lay down your summon sign on the bridge or in front of the boss. you should get summon and if you win you get a humanity. then you can use that to summon your own help. if you don't get summoned after a while just quit out and go back in to reset your "server". as long as you aren't a crazy high level, you'll get summoned and find help easily enough. remember to use your flasks to heal your help! as a summoner you should not be in the thick of the battle. watch their hp and take pot shots.

if you want a semi cheese method too

Spoiler for Hiden:
go kill the butterfly in the garden. get a round shield(i think, make sure to verify this) to +10. take this soul to the smith in AL and make the shield ring thing. then summon the npc to tank. simply sit back and use your shield as a weapon. you should be hitting for 500-650'ish and just waste them in seconds. this is how i helped people.
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: October 31, 2011, 02:33:34 AM »

I spent the butterfly soul to buy lightning arrows because one video I watched said that they were weak to lightning............ nope. Fatty was only taking 19dmg for each bolt.

Good point about the summon thing - I will try that next. I am level 69 though -not sure it will work.

I died another 10 times or so this evening and am taking a break. I tried the hide behind the pillar deal on fatty once I killed skinny but he never swung. I got bored tried to rush and got killed.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: October 31, 2011, 02:40:50 AM »

yikes, never spend a boss soul. you only get like 1k souls, so not worth it.

69 should be fine
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: