http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 06:46:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/PS3] Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2  (Read 1079 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2012, 06:00:49 AM »

just saw it confirmed during Konami's pre-E3 show.  it's at the very end, starting around the 27 minute mark (maybe a bit earlier).  I've also heard rumors that the 3DS game 'Mirror of Fate' will set the game up.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 05:57:20 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 07:21:28 AM »

I'm stoked. Loved the first game and want to see where they take this, especially considering the epilogue in the last one. smile
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 12:19:43 PM »

I'm reminded that I need to finish the first one!  Really love it, though.  Hope I haven't gotten too rusty.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 05:57:36 PM »

had to make a little change to the thread title  ninja

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 06:45:40 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 16, 2012, 05:57:36 PM

had to make a little change to the thread title  ninja

What, seriously? It's actually coming for the PC? That's surprising, and also goes to show just how far behind the curve the current console generation has fallen when such a console-centric franchise turns to the PC to impress.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 02:40:56 PM »

IN!!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 03:31:25 AM »

so we'll be playing Dracula? possibly in the modern day?  ninja

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 01:11:49 AM »

no Wii U version, not due to any fault of the system though:

Konami has explained why Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 isn't coming to the Wii U.

Producer Dave Cox told Eurogamer there aren't enough resources or budget available to create a Wii U port of the upcoming PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 action game this late in the development cycle.

To do so Konami would have to grow Spanish developer MercurySteam by around 20 people - something that's not feasible at this time.

"The reason why we are developing it on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 is simply because that's the amount of people we got," Cox said. "If we want to do a Wii U conversion, that's another 20 people. We just don't have the resources or the budget to do it.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 03:29:50 PM »

Quote from: Purge on August 17, 2012, 02:40:56 PM

IN!!

This.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 05:43:11 PM »

icon_smile

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 05:54:39 PM »

I still need to play the first game,it has a 85/83(PS3/360) on Metacritic....I didn't think it had made that much of an impression,so it was a good game then?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 06:01:29 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 01, 2013, 05:54:39 PM

I still need to play the first game,it has a 85/83(PS3/360) on Metacritic....I didn't think it had made that much of an impression,so it was a good game then?

I loved it. It's very long for a game like this, it's got absolutely fantastic graphics and music, a nice story, and solid gameplay that requires finesse and tactics.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 06:11:01 PM »

Thanks TiLT, I'll pick it up,its only a fiver on Amazon

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 07:27:52 PM »

It really is a good game.

The PS3 version supposedly plays better, if you need to make a choice, mo.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 07:39:49 PM »

I played it on the 360 and don't remember any issues at all. In fact, I think I did that over the PS3 after doing a little research about the better version. I could be mistaken though...

In any case, it really is a great game and a steal for only $5.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 10:52:10 PM »

DigitalFoundry's verdict:

Nevertheless, for console owners with the luxury of choosing between the two SKUs, it's got to be the PlayStation 3 game that gets the nod. Both versions have somewhat variable performance, but on the Sony platform you get a few extra FPS in taxing situations and there is some extra zing to the controls. While the disc-swapping situation on 360 is hardly a massive bother, it's annoying that there is any at all when you have the game fully installed onto HDD, and the fact this is eliminated completely with the extra storage space of the Blu-ray on PS3 can only be a good thing.

I normally would buy something like this for the 360 is how I knew that the comparison favored the PS3.  That said, when you look at the article, it doesn't seem like as big a difference as I made it out to be back in the day.

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 03:33:37 AM »

I wished they would have ported this game to the PC.  It had some awesome graphics for the 360.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 06:35:20 PM »

that a sizeable portion of the game will take place in the modern day setting was confirmed during their showcase today.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 06:36:16 PM »

Quote from: shon on March 02, 2013, 03:33:37 AM

I wished they would have ported this game to the PC.

assuming you mean the first game in the LoS series then look for it 8-27 on Steam.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 06:38:09 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 07:21:55 PM »

I thought this was a next-gen game? Where the hell did I get that impression?

Edit: Referring to the pre-E3 trailer from Konami that was just released. It lists only 360, PS3 and PC. I could have sworn this was a pure next-gen game and that it was announced for PS4 months ago.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 08:43:14 PM »

Big long trailer

Sandwiches do fix everything.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 11:04:17 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 06, 2013, 07:21:55 PM

I thought this was a next-gen game? Where the hell did I get that impression?

Edit: Referring to the pre-E3 trailer from Konami that was just released. It lists only 360, PS3 and PC. I could have sworn this was a pure next-gen game and that it was announced for PS4 months ago.

Nope, it's always been a current-gen title at the very least.  I was curious if they might add it for next gen, but looks like no.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 09:01:19 PM »

This game has been getting mostly mediocre reviews, but I decided to pick it up anyway. I'm too invested in the story. Supposedly the game really picks up steam in the second half, but it's been awesome so far, about two hours in. Lots of variety in locales and enemies already, and the game keeps tossing new skills and weapons your way, at least in this early stage.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 10:00:24 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 25, 2014, 09:01:19 PM

This game has been getting mostly mediocre reviews, but I decided to pick it up anyway. I'm too invested in the story. Supposedly the game really picks up steam in the second half, but it's been awesome so far, about two hours in. Lots of variety in locales and enemies already, and the game keeps tossing new skills and weapons your way, at least in this early stage.

Will be interested to see your opinion.  The first game was a lot of fun and the impressions I keep reading are that that game is better than this one.  I'm going to hold off until I get some opinions of people I see on this forum.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2014, 09:33:28 PM »

Played another 3 hours today. The game is hard to put down, especially since the cool stuff keeps popping up with such regularity. Yes, the stealth sections suck, but they're few and far between, and they don't seem to last more than 5 minutes each, and that's stretching it. I'm thoroughly enjoying the game, even at the 5-hour mark.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2014, 09:11:14 PM »

Just finished the game, and absolutely loved it. It's good already at the beginning, but it really does get better in the final half. Where the first half is slower-paced, with more focus on platforming, exploration, and combat against common enemies, the second half pits you against an almost constant series of awesome boss fights, sometimes with no chance to rest between them (three of the best bosses came in a row, with just one group of common enemies between two of them). The boss fights in this game are far superior to the last one, with some encounters that are pure, awesome Castlevania fan service. The bosses that, by tradition, always show up in classic Castlevania games, show up here too, and now they are closer to their classic forms than they were in the previous game.

The reviewers who rated this game low were out of their fucking minds. The much-criticized stealth sections are indeed horrible, but they account for roughly 5% of the total game's length, and pretty much never last more than 5 minutes each. The "horrible" stealth section that had Edge stuck for 4 hours, according to themselves, took me all of 3 minutes, and that seems to be the general experience among players I've heard from. The future environments are dull and clichéd too, but they also don't last very long. The modern cityscapes are gothic and atmospheric on the other hand, and the castle itself is pure eye candy.  

The story kind of doesn't really end where you expect it to though. It seems they might finish the last part of it in the upcoming DLC, and I'm going to get it Day 1. smile

Total playtime: 16 hours.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2014, 09:44:53 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 03, 2014, 09:11:14 PM

Just finished the game, and absolutely loved it. It's good already at the beginning, but it really does get better in the final half. Where the first half is slower-paced, with more focus on platforming, exploration, and combat against common enemies, the second half pits you against an almost constant series of awesome boss fights, sometimes with no chance to rest between them (three of the best bosses came in a row, with just one group of common enemies between two of them). The boss fights in this game are far superior to the last one, with some encounters that are pure, awesome Castlevania fan service. The bosses that, by tradition, always show up in classic Castlevania games, show up here too, and now they are closer to their classic forms than they were in the previous game.

The reviewers who rated this game low were out of their fucking minds. The much-criticized stealth sections are indeed horrible, but they account for roughly 5% of the total game's length, and pretty much never last more than 5 minutes each. The "horrible" stealth section that had Edge stuck for 4 hours, according to themselves, took me all of 3 minutes, and that seems to be the general experience among players I've heard from. The future environments are dull and clichéd too, but they also don't last very long. The modern cityscapes are gothic and atmospheric on the other hand, and the castle itself is pure eye candy.  

The story kind of doesn't really end where you expect it to though. It seems they might finish the last part of it in the upcoming DLC, and I'm going to get it Day 1. smile

Total playtime: 16 hours.

You  had my interest until you mentioned three boss fights in a row without any rest. I don't think I have the fortitude for those types of grind sessions any longer. Lol. glad you enjoyed it.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2014, 09:57:02 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on March 03, 2014, 09:44:53 PM

You  had my interest until you mentioned three boss fights in a row without any rest. I don't think I have the fortitude for those types of grind sessions any longer. Lol. glad you enjoyed it.

I think you may be misreading what I said, which is understandable since Lords of Shadow works slightly different from many other games. There's downtime between (some of) the fights where you could (potentially. I didn't test this) walk off and do other things in the somewhat open world of the game, but if you press on with the story, you'll encounter three bosses in a row. You don't really deplete any resources either. You've got three resources that matter: Life, light mana, and dark mana. Life is regenerated by either consuming stunned enemies or by using your void sword (using light mana. This is the most common way to heal). Mana is regenerated either through specific items in the environment, through events during major boss fights, or (most commonly) by achieving a streak of hits against your enemy without being hit yourself. Once you get your streak going, mana balls start popping up whenever you deal damage, and you can absorb these to either mana type, your choice.

Boss fights are designed so that you'll have ample opportunity to regain each of these resources during the battle if you need to. I started the final of these three boss battles almost completely drained of resources and felt pretty challenged right away, but by the end of the fight I had mastered the boss and ended up with almost full life and mana.

It's no grind, and you can shut down the game at any time between the bosses. It'll reload where you left off when you start the game again. No need to test your fortitude, it's just sheer fun and spectacle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: