http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 03:59:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PS3] Bulletstorm  (Read 5167 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2011, 01:25:25 AM »

What shooters are you looking forward to this year Hark?   Other than Cod2011, just curious, I haven't been keeping up much.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2011, 01:26:01 AM »

And this demo did absolutely nothing for me.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2011, 01:50:59 AM »

trying to limit my excitement to match my funds slywink

Homefront and Brink with a side of Rift (mmo on PC) and Mortal Kombat.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2011, 03:45:06 AM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on January 31, 2011, 01:26:01 AM

And this demo did absolutely nothing for me.

ya, i just played the demo of it today.  I'll be skipping it for now.  Not so exciting
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2011, 04:13:56 AM »

I played the demo some more today.. and my excitement is definetely built. Don't know why people aren't feeling it  here. I guess this is my type of the game--fantastic, over-the-top kills with crass, unpolitically correct sense of humor.  icon_razz
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2011, 04:19:30 AM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on January 31, 2011, 04:13:56 AM

I played the demo some more today.. and my excitement is definetely built. Don't know why people aren't feeling it  here. I guess this is my type of the game--fantastic, over-the-top kills with crass, unpolitically correct sense of humor.  icon_razz

that's basically why I don't care for it.  I'm not prude, but when it's forced just to be crass, well, just like movies pulp fiction, I don't like it.
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2011, 03:18:58 PM »

I had a pre-order for this, but after playing the demo a few times, I'll be skipping it pending stellar reviews. I didn't find anything about it that hyped me for it's upcoming release, and the whole self-referential "look at how edgy and in-your-face we are!" tone was cute, for about 2 minutes. "Look at us! Look at how we're making fun of other shooters and general FPS conventions! Appreciate how clever and self-aware we are!"
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 03:29:56 PM by spigot » Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2011, 03:42:14 PM »

I also cancelled my pre-order.  With homefront, killzone, and socom releasing soon (and first strike on 3/3), this was the one I needed the least.

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2011, 03:43:56 PM »

Quote from: spigot on February 15, 2011, 03:18:58 PM

I had a pre-order for this, but after playing the demo a few times, I'll be skipping it pending stellar reviews. I didn't find anything about it that hyped me for it's upcoming release, and the whole self-referential "look at how edgy and in-your-face we are!" tone was cute, for about 2 minutes. "Look at us! Look at how we're making fun of other shooters and general FPS conventions! Appreciate how clever and self-aware we are!"

I cancelled my pre-order last week. I enjoyed the demo, but I couldn't see myself enjoying the whole campaign that way. It was already feeling stale.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2011, 04:17:28 PM »

Quote from: Nonnahob on February 15, 2011, 03:43:56 PM

I cancelled my pre-order last week. I enjoyed the demo, but I couldn't see myself enjoying the whole campaign that way. It was already feeling stale.

But you know that the demo wasn't from the campaign, right?  The scene is, but what you play in the demo is from Echoes which takes sections of the main game and specifically crafts them for quick hit, score improvement play.  It's all about replaying to get the best score you can on a leaderboard.

I'm not saying the full game is guaranteed to be great, but you can't judge the entire package based on this small representation.  At least not in terms of how the campaign will play.  If someone has an issue with the controls or even the tone, I get that, but you've got to take Echoes for what they are.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2011, 04:32:36 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 15, 2011, 04:17:28 PM

But you know that the demo wasn't from the campaign, right?  The scene is, but what you play in the demo is from Echoes which takes sections of the main game and specifically crafts them for quick hit, score improvement play.  It's all about replaying to get the best score you can on a leaderboard.

I'm not saying the full game is guaranteed to be great, but you can't judge the entire package based on this small representation.  At least not in terms of how the campaign will play.  If someone has an issue with the controls or even the tone, I get that, but you've got to take Echoes for what they are.

Interesting. Maybe worth a rental then and if it's decent a buy smile

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize that about it being just a piece of the real game.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2011, 04:54:01 PM »

Quote from: Nonnahob on February 15, 2011, 04:32:36 PM

Interesting. Maybe worth a rental then and if it's decent a buy smile

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize that about it being just a piece of the real game.
I was aware of this but I am still waiting for a drop or a real demo.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2011, 05:22:21 PM »

you may be right as far as gameplay goes, but the fact that they try to be crude just to be crude is enough to keep me buying it, as well as others.  I'm sure that's in all modes of the game.  In fact, that's how they are marketing it.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2011, 06:19:57 PM »

Quote from: naednek on February 15, 2011, 05:22:21 PM

you may be right as far as gameplay goes, but the fact that they try to be crude just to be crude is enough to keep me buying it, as well as others.  I'm sure that's in all modes of the game.  In fact, that's how they are marketing it.

Well, as I said, I get that.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2011, 06:48:03 PM »

Hate to have to say it.. but you're acting like a bunch of old funny-duddies. The game does have a crude humor slant, but there's a fun game in there. I played the demo twice, and I liked the game's focus on raking up points by coming up with even more outrageous kill combinations. I'm still onboard to pick this one up next week.
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2011, 06:58:31 PM »

Haha, the humor and language don't bother me. If you've played a round of black ops with me, I'm sure you're aware swearing doesn't affect my attitude in game too much. I just didn't really enjoy the demo. Like I said, maybe try it as a rental first to see how the campaign bit goes and if I like it I'll pick it up.

X360 - Nonnahob

spigot

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2011, 07:01:31 PM »

Get off my lawn, you damn kids. You and your saggy pants and rock-n-roll music....
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 07:04:23 PM by spigot » Logged

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2011, 07:36:56 PM »

I thought the demo was more fun than some of the very well regarded shooters I've played over the past 12 months.  It's over the top goofiness, but I thought it was fun.  For once, I'm glad I'm not running around trying to fight terrorists or save the world.  Just point me in the direction of the bad guys and then reward me for doing crazy shit.  And I get to kick people in the face. 

The demo had an old school UT feel, like a sports competition, rather than a serious shooter.  That's a good thing imo.  We already have a market saturated with shooters that take themselves very seriously.  Going from one of those shooters to this demo is a little jarring, especially if you take the dialogue seriously.  It's just goofy nonsense.   

If the reviews turn out positive for the rest of the game, I'll get it.       

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2011, 09:04:56 PM »

This is one of the few games I'm interested in this year, if anything it looks unique and it's a new IP to boot. It's sad to see people willing to skip it for "safe bets" like Killzone 3 (even though the KZ games have never been highly regarded).

I'm planning to buy it regardless of reviews.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
spigot

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2011, 02:20:06 PM »

Any impressions yet? I'd like to know if the full release is a 180-degree turnabout from the demo, which didn't wow me. The lack of reviews at this point is giving me pause, but if the game turns out great, I may just pick it up.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2011, 03:57:16 PM »

Empire magazine gave it 4/5.

"The most innovative first-person shooter in years, Bulletstorm is as addictive as it is bold. Beyond every crude one-liner and the unashamed gratuity of its violence, it's a game full of hidden depth and simple thrills of gaming past. Not one for grandma, mind."

Other reviews should go up this afternoon.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2011, 05:20:21 PM »

I'm picking it up at lunch today and will have impressions.

Sean Lama
spigot

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2011, 05:26:29 PM »

IGN review is up.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2011, 05:35:27 PM »

CVG review is in

also

Spring premium DLC

but don't read the comments on that second link,as i totally make an ass of myself paranoid...more so i mean

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2011, 04:49:26 PM »

Played last night for a long time.  Got through the first chapter (there's a lot more story to this than I was expecting).  And I played MP for longer than I intended.  Got through a dozen waves of whatever they're calling that game type.

I had a blast and am really looking forward to playing the hell out of this.

JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2011, 03:09:45 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 23, 2011, 04:49:26 PM

Played last night for a long time.  Got through the first chapter (there's a lot more story to this than I was expecting).  And I played MP for longer than I intended.  Got through a dozen waves of whatever they're calling that game type.

I had a blast and am really looking forward to playing the hell out of this.

I to played last night for way to long, 3am is no time for me to be going to bed on a work night. Its just that one more lvl mentality keep me going. I enjoyed the demo and was expecting just that when I picked up the game. 6 minute runs geared at achieving the highest score and putting my name up on the leader board.
Instead I was engulfed with this story and action that made me feel like I was playing a Gears of War knock off, and it felt DAMN good. The story so far got me very much involved along with the rest of the weapons not in the demo and their new features as you level them up.
For those that was complaining about the language I noticed there was an option for it in the options menu to turn it on or off. I haven't tried it, because personally I like my art the way the artist\director intended it to be.
If you like tactical shooters or GOW you will enjoy this game. This game is tactical, just in a none conventional way think Skill Shots.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2011, 05:40:13 AM »

I'm enjoying the game so far, the story and dialogue is really good (well, you have to appreciate crude humor to enjoy the dialogue) and the combat is pretty fun. What turns me off though is it reminds me too much of Gears of War, from the voice acting, to the sound effects, even the level design, enemy types, and main characters feel influenced by GoW. This might be an issue unique to me because I kinda burnt out on GoW doing a second play-through around 3-4 months back.

As far as the combat, at first I was worried the Skill Points system was going to make the game feel too much like an achievement hunt. That doesn't seem to be the case, you don't have to go for any of that stuff if you don't want to, you can run and gun/kick/leash all you want without trying to kill enemies in ways that gain you extra skill points.

Are the Skill Point achievements tied into the game's actual achievements, just out of curiosity? I keep my achievement notifications disabled so I wasn't sure, that would be pretty cool and innovative if it was.

Sean Lama
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2011, 02:26:30 PM »

Add me to the list of people enjoying it more than they thought. Having a blast, KZ3 is on hold for the moment!

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2011, 06:04:59 PM »

It's fun, the multiplayer is also a blast.  If you're looking for a shooter that doesn't take itself too seriously and has a few new twists with multiplayer, it's definitely worth it.  I was on the fence myself, but now I'm glad I bought it.

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2011, 01:46:48 AM »

Just finished it today. I have to say, I enjoyed it more than I thought after picking it up on a whim. Paced well, good challenge all the way through, and some really satisfying gameplay.

I don't know that I'll come back to it or spend any time with the multi, though.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2011, 02:39:31 AM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on February 27, 2011, 01:46:48 AM

Just finished it today. I have to say, I enjoyed it more than I thought after picking it up on a whim. Paced well, good challenge all the way through, and some really satisfying gameplay.

I don't know that I'll come back to it or spend any time with the multi, though.

About how long would you say the campaign is?

Sean Lama
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2011, 06:28:26 AM »

Haha... I love the dialogue in this game!

*After falling hard on his ass

"Ah man, I need to get some pads for my ass. The old gal ain't use to that kind of abuse".

Ishi (a robotic NPC partner): "I don't care about quantifying the amount of abuse your ass can take".

I didn't quote it word for word, and it comes off a lot funnier when you become familiar with the characters, but I found it hilarious.

Sean Lama
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2011, 06:30:29 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 27, 2011, 06:28:26 AM

I didn't quote it word for word,

I'm going to kill your dick if you don't start quoting everything! icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2011, 04:43:12 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 27, 2011, 02:39:31 AM

I'd guess about 8-10 hours on normal difficulty if you play slowly like me.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2011, 05:11:48 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on February 27, 2011, 04:43:12 PM

I don't think there is any 'playing slowly' with this one since there doesn't seem to be much area to explore.  every time I thought there was a way to look around I'd find myself blocked by a drop or rubble that didn't give me the prompt to leap over.

Because I can,
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2011, 05:45:30 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 27, 2011, 05:11:48 PM

I don't think there is any 'playing slowly' with this one since there doesn't seem to be much area to explore.  every time I thought there was a way to look around I'd find myself blocked by a drop or rubble that didn't give me the prompt to leap over.

Dying a lot, and running back to the last pod to swap weapons or buy ammo helps.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2011, 05:53:49 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on February 27, 2011, 05:45:30 PM

I don't think there is any 'playing slowly' with this one since there doesn't seem to be much area to explore.  every time I thought there was a way to look around I'd find myself blocked by a drop or rubble that didn't give me the prompt to leap over.

Dying a lot, and running back to the last pod to swap weapons or buy ammo helps.

gotcha.  Been playing on normal and have only died once.  It was mainly because I wasn't paying attention to the goals on the train sequence.

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2011, 10:11:46 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 27, 2011, 06:30:29 AM

Quote from: Ridah on February 27, 2011, 06:28:26 AM

I didn't quote it word for word,

I'm going to kill your dick if you don't start quoting everything! icon_lol

Kill my dick?? What does that even mean!? I'll kill your dick!!

The best part about that exchange was he was saying it back to a female  icon_lol

Sean Lama
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2011, 02:56:55 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 27, 2011, 05:53:49 PM

Quote from: Clanwolfer on February 27, 2011, 05:45:30 PM

gotcha.  Been playing on normal and have only died once.  It was mainly because I wasn't paying attention to the goals on the train sequence.

Yeah, a lot of the game was pretty easy, but a) I haven't played a shooter since COD:MW2 (which I never finished) so I was a little rusty, and b) I spent way too much time going for ridiculous combos instead of just wiping everything out like I could/should have. I probably had ten deaths in some acts while breezing through others.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2011, 01:53:10 AM »

Just finished this, I turned the difficulty up to Hard as it was way too much of a cake walk on Normal.

Overall I really liked the game. It's not a stellar game, but it's very good.

I hope it sells well enough for them to make a sequel, they ended it with a great opening for one.

Sean Lama
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: