http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 05:45:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PS3] Asura's Wrath  (Read 992 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2012, 03:12:07 AM »

played the demo for this today on the 360, and I have to say I'm almost intrigued enough to rent it (now there's a box blurb).  for those who haven't followed it, here's the gist.  it definitely feels like you're in an anime, but there are also a lot of QTE's.  the demo is also horrible at filling you in on any of the story;  I actually had to google the game to figure out what the heck was going on.

anyone else try the demo yet?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 03:53:00 AM »

There's a video preview on this page.  I have no idea what the hell I just watched, but am certainly intrigued by the sheer Japanese weirdness factor.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 04:14:19 AM »

I felt about the same as you, CeeKay.

I only tried the first level as I wasn't invested enough to try more.  There's no way to judge particularly, since it seems it will be story-dependant, but I don't know that I like the story yet.  It was too much of that Japenese story-telling thing where you feel like you're coming into a story that's been going on forever.  But this is five levels in, so maybe it'll be more clear in the full game.

There wasn't much gameplay meat, though, I'll say that.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 05:00:06 PM »

neat ill have to check it out - i have to say the videos from the past six months or so have been a treat (ive watched maybe 2 or 3 of them?) so itll be nice to actually PLAY this strangeness ive been seeing
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 08:30:39 PM »

4.5 out of 5 from Joystiq.

Is every bit of Asura's Wrath as absorbing? No. In fact, the combat becomes very stale at points, offering no form of advancement, recycling certain enemies just a tad too often. Boss fights are all fairly similar as well. And, just like a real television series, some episodes aren't as enthralling as others, and some end too abruptly. Quick-time events aren't necessarily the most meaningful form of interaction, and here they rarely mean the difference between winning and losing anyway (though player success does contribute to overall score).

That said, for every flaw, for every pedestrian moment, there is something astonishing. I've been crushed by a finger the size of a continent. I've felled an entire fleet of starships with my bare hands (all six of them). I've dueled to death on the moon, the final movement of Dvorak's Symphony No. 9 blaring in the background. I've bested a behemoth larger than the Earth itself.

Joystiq's review scale boils down to a simple question: Should you play this game? In the case of Asura's Wrath, the answer is an absolute, unwavering yes. That said, there is room for improvement. The combat could use more depth. Some will deride the abundance of quick-time events. Those willing to accept Asura's Wrath on its own terms, however, will find something unique and truly unforgettable.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 04:56:11 PM »

Well, I picked this up on sale for $25, and proceeded to play through the whole thing nearly uninterrupted by other games.

Everything Joystiq said is true.  And the demo does a terrible job of conveying just how engrossing and staggering the story is.  It's anime-bizarre, but the story actually makes sense when you're playing through it.  The scale of the game is massive and it does an impressive job of continually topping itself.

The gameplay is entertaining, but there's not a lot of variety to the actual fighting.  It pretty much boils down to move close to the opponent, hit Y, then B a bunch of times until Y recharges, all the while filling your rage meter until you can pull the RT for a burst.  Then you usually have to hit Y at the right time.  It's not always exactly that, and there are a couple of moments where they do something clever and/or amusing with the button-pressing, but it does technically get a little stale.  However, usually it doesn't matter, as the larger picture of what's happening is so entertaining that it distracts you from these shortcomings.

If you're coming for just the fighting, you'll be disappointed, but if you're looking for a wild, entertaining experience, Asura's Wrath shouldn't be missed.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 04:02:33 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 01:57:11 PM »

You can get it for $20 on the 360 right now on Amazon.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 02:13:05 PM »

17.96 On Amazon.

Gonna give it a whirl I think.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 02:33:18 PM »

Bullwinkle did you play the DLC which was supposed to be the true ending?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 04:01:45 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 21, 2012, 02:33:18 PM

Bullwinkle did you play the DLC which was supposed to be the true ending?

I got all of the DLC.  The Lost Episodes are totally unnecessary (they're the ones where you fight characters from other games).

But the .5 missions are fun (I think it's 11.5 and 15.5) and fill in some mild gaps.

The True Ending is kinda important, though, and it does suck that they make you pay for it.  I was having such a blast with the game and got it cheap enough that it really didn't bother me.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 04:22:27 PM »

Which one is the 'true ending'?

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 05:06:33 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 21, 2012, 04:22:27 PM

Which one is the 'true ending'?

Part IV: Nirvana

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: