http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 12:35:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PC/Wii U/PS3] Assassin's Creed 3 - GT review page 3!  (Read 11970 times)
Vidiot
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 06, 2012, 12:46:16 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 05, 2012, 08:41:37 PM

2) A long chase sequence through thin, crowded streets and back alleys. Here's where the game truly fails to recognize its own limitations. In order to run, you have to hold down the run button. The thing is, this button also doubles as the free running/climbing button. In practical terms, they might as well have given you the primary objective "Fail if you touch a wall during this extended chase", because that's what it is. You touch a wall, you fail. There's no coming back from that. Have fun replaying the entire chase, because there are no checkpoints. Then have the game taunt you with an optional objective that requires you not to shove/tackle anyone, and put an unavoidable crowd of people around the first bend. That's just rubbing salt in the wounds. Had to turn off the game after trying this chase five times and doing worse every time. Every single failure happened because I touched a wall, and let me tell you, the paths this chase tells you to run are full of twists and turns and are very narrow.

I did this one like 4 times, the worst part is depending on the random seed you get there are a couple of sections that are nearly impossible or at the very least make the bonus objective impossible.  They didn't bother to even have a static layout for the crowd on the mission, they just let it be whatever it was with a couple of additions.  That or they randomly set some portion of the crowd but in a way that impacts the mission significantly.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 06, 2012, 01:01:05 AM »

A long chase sequence through thin, crowded streets and back alleys. Here's where the game truly fails to recognize its own limitations. In order to run, you have to hold down the run button. The thing is, this button also doubles as the free running/climbing button. In practical terms, they might as well have given you the primary objective "Fail if you touch a wall during this extended chase", because that's what it is. You touch a wall, you fail. There's no coming back from that. Have fun replaying the entire chase, because there are no checkpoints. Then have the game taunt you with an optional objective that requires you not to shove/tackle anyone, and put an unavoidable crowd of people around the first bend. That's just rubbing salt in the wounds. Had to turn off the game after trying this chase five times and doing worse every time. Every single failure happened because I touched a wall, and let me tell you, the paths this chase tells you to run are full of twists and turns and are very narrow.

I remember this mission.  It was fucking awful.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 06, 2012, 02:24:59 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 03, 2012, 05:03:59 PM

AC3 was clearly rushed to the market, and it shows.

Wasn't this one famed for being 'Three Years In The Making'?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: November 06, 2012, 05:46:15 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 06, 2012, 02:24:59 AM

Quote from: TiLT on November 03, 2012, 05:03:59 PM

AC3 was clearly rushed to the market, and it shows.

Wasn't this one famed for being 'Three Years In The Making'?

It's an ambitious game. Three years might not have been enough in the first place.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 06, 2012, 11:03:30 AM »

I'll stick this here

Ubisoft plans to release every console game in the Assassin's Creed series in one big box, a new retail listing suggests.

The Assassin's Creed Anthology Edition includes Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed 2, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, Assassin's Creed: Revelations and the newly-released Assassin's Creed 3.

Every DLC add-on is bundled in (the missing chapters from AC2, ACB's Leonardo expansion, ACR's extra block puzzles plus every multiplayer pack).

Presumably the Assassin's Creed 3 Season Pass is also be thrown in to cover that game's DLC - not due until next year.

more details due next week when it's officially announced

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 06, 2012, 09:52:25 PM »

Quote from: Vidiot on November 06, 2012, 12:46:16 AM

2) A long chase sequence through thin, crowded streets and back alleys. Here's where the game truly fails to recognize its own limitations. In order to run, you have to hold down the run button. The thing is, this button also doubles as the free running/climbing button. In practical terms, they might as well have given you the primary objective "Fail if you touch a wall during this extended chase", because that's what it is. You touch a wall, you fail. There's no coming back from that. Have fun replaying the entire chase, because there are no checkpoints. Then have the game taunt you with an optional objective that requires you not to shove/tackle anyone, and put an unavoidable crowd of people around the first bend. That's just rubbing salt in the wounds. Had to turn off the game after trying this chase five times and doing worse every time. Every single failure happened because I touched a wall, and let me tell you, the paths this chase tells you to run are full of twists and turns and are very narrow.

I did this one like 4 times, the worst part is depending on the random seed you get there are a couple of sections that are nearly impossible or at the very least make the bonus objective impossible.  They didn't bother to even have a static layout for the crowd on the mission, they just let it be whatever it was with a couple of additions.  That or they randomly set some portion of the crowd but in a way that impacts the mission significantly.

Just did this as well - This, combined with Whiny brat Christian Hayden's voice doing whiny stuff as Connor has me considering whether I want to play the rest of the damn game.

A new one
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 06, 2012, 09:58:03 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 06, 2012, 09:52:25 PM

Just did this as well - This, combined with Whiny brat Christian Hayden's voice doing whiny stuff as Connor has me considering whether I want to play the rest of the damn game.

Huh? Christian Hayden? Doesn't sound like him to me.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 09:59:34 PM by spigot » Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 06, 2012, 10:10:44 PM »

do you mean Hayden Christensen from Star Wars?(sorry it's the winey brat comment that made me think you meant him,sorry if you don't)...anyway,according to IMDB Connor is played by someone called Noah Watts,i don't recognize him though

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: November 06, 2012, 10:21:43 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 06, 2012, 10:10:44 PM

do you mean Hayden Christensen from Star Wars?(sorry it's the winey brat comment that made me think you meant him,sorry if you don't)...anyway,according to IMDB Connor is played by someone called Noah Watts,i don't recognize him though

I actually went to IMDB at one point to check this exact thing, because I thought he sounded like Hayden Christensen too. There's a very strong similarity in their voices.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 07, 2012, 06:48:33 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 06, 2012, 10:21:43 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 06, 2012, 10:10:44 PM

I actually went to IMDB at one point to check this exact thing, because I thought he sounded like Hayden Christensen too. There's a very strong similarity in their voices.

Hah! I just read that as well - He sounds exactly like Christian Hayden...I can relax a bit more now that I know that it isnt :-D

A new one
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 07, 2012, 07:40:32 AM »

I finally got a chance to start this and I'm having an odd problem in the second sequence. After arriving in Boston and setting out to track down 'the theft' I get to the first bit of shooting where I take out the lookup, climb the cliff and then shoot one of the four guards at the gate. My two companions dispatch the rest and we rush further in and get stopped by a closed gate that can be breached by explosives. We're still going though tutorial steps so now I'm locked in place and told to 'Press L1 to aim', which I do and we zoom in a bit. However, the message never clears from the screen (like I haven't pressed L1) and nothing seems to work after that, no shot is fired, nada. I can wave around my sword, pop the hidden blades in and out or smack my fists together... but shoot? Not happening.

What in the hell am I missing? I restarted the checkpoint and the memory more than once and got stuck at the some point each time.  retard

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 07, 2012, 07:43:50 AM »

You have a very small white reticule you have to aim towards a barrel that is on the ground - Its quite hard to see and the tutorial makes no sense whatsoever there.

Press the shoot key once you hover over it (On the ps3 its the triangle)

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: November 07, 2012, 07:56:11 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on November 07, 2012, 07:40:32 AM

I finally got a chance to start this and I'm having an odd problem in the second sequence. After arriving in Boston and setting out to track down 'the theft' I get to the first bit of shooting where I take out the lookup, climb the cliff and then shoot one of the four guards at the gate. My two companions dispatch the rest and we rush further in and get stopped by a closed gate that can be breached by explosives. We're still going though tutorial steps so now I'm locked in place and told to 'Press L1 to aim', which I do and we zoom in a bit. However, the message never clears from the screen (like I haven't pressed L1) and nothing seems to work after that, no shot is fired, nada. I can wave around my sword, pop the hidden blades in and out or smack my fists together... but shoot? Not happening.

What in the hell am I missing? I restarted the checkpoint and the memory more than once and got stuck at the some point each time.  retard

Heh, if you read my first complaint post in this thread you'll see I had the exact same problem. The game just doesn't recognize what is important to tell you and what isn't. The barrels you need to shoot at are BELOW the ones the arrow is pointing at. They'll be outlined in white when you're aiming at them, at which point you will be allowed to shoot.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: November 07, 2012, 12:57:25 PM »

I tried playing this game with 3D on for a few hours two days ago (on the PS3, for the record). It looks great! I noticed no slowdown or reduction in graphical quality, but there was more contrast. Contrast is something the game sorely lacks in 2D mode, so it was a pleasant surprise to see that 3D for some reason has more of it. Shadows are truly dark there, while bright areas are still bright. The depth adds a lot of... well, depth to the graphics. Running across a battlefield while rows upon rows of riflemen fired upon me looked very awesome when I could actually judge their distance in a more realistic way. Climbing to the top of a tree and viewing the landscape through the foliage looks fantastic.

I don't know if I'm going to keep playing in this mode (it hurts my eyes, as does all 3D), but it was well worth trying out, and I'll probably try it again.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 07, 2012, 02:00:28 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 07, 2012, 07:56:11 AM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on November 07, 2012, 07:40:32 AM

Heh, if you read my first complaint post in this thread you'll see I had the exact same problem. The game just doesn't recognize what is important to tell you and what isn't. The barrels you need to shoot at are BELOW the ones the arrow is pointing at. They'll be outlined in white when you're aiming at them, at which point you will be allowed to shoot.

Thanks guys. I'll need to try again as I knew I was supposed to shoot the small ones on the ground 'cuz in my "press every button" frenzy I'd gone into Eagle View and they were lit up. Still, putting the cursor over them never outlined anything. Pretty sure... I'll try again tonight.

-craig

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 07, 2012, 02:20:13 PM »

The game just doesn't recognize what is important to tell you and what isn't.

Yah, I'm noticing that. I don't recall having those kind of problems in the earlier games but the last one I played was AC2. Like trying to find the pages for Franklin, I got a message about that I should be chasing one now but never saw anything. Then it said oh well, gone now, come back later to try again. Err... ok.  icon_neutral

I remember the map in AC2 being very nicely done, this one seems fairly useless at the moment. It's also showing me a bunch of "West Point missions" which I have no idea where they came from. And the right-trigger inventory wheel thing seems clunky. I guess it will all work out, just seems more complicated than it should be right now.

-craig

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: November 07, 2012, 02:44:43 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on November 07, 2012, 02:20:13 PM

Yah, I'm noticing that. I don't recall having those kind of problems in the earlier games but the last one I played was AC2. Like trying to find the pages for Franklin, I got a message about that I should be chasing one now but never saw anything. Then it said oh well, gone now, come back later to try again. Err... ok.  icon_neutral

I remember the map in AC2 being very nicely done, this one seems fairly useless at the moment. It's also showing me a bunch of "West Point missions" which I have no idea where they came from. And the right-trigger inventory wheel thing seems clunky. I guess it will all work out, just seems more complicated than it should be right now.

Yeah, the whole thing is very clunky where the earlier games were not.

As for the pages, they keep moving, and if you don't grab them by the time they reach a certain location they'll be gone and won't appear again until you return to the area later. The stupid thing is that unless you know the exact path they'll fly before arriving, it's next to impossible to catch them. Trying to follow them just means you'll reach wherever they just were too late to grab them. I've managed to grab one so far through blind luck.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 07, 2012, 03:13:10 PM »

I'm still liking this game a lot more than Brotherhood Revelations, though, let me tell you.

EDIT: oops
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 08:33:44 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 07, 2012, 05:56:07 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 07, 2012, 03:13:10 PM

I'm still liking this game a lot more than Brotherhood, though, let me tell you.

Brotherhood or Revelations?(which seems to be the Black Sheep),or both?

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: November 07, 2012, 06:34:40 PM »

I did this one like 4 times, the worst part is depending on the random seed you get there are a couple of sections that are nearly impossible or at the very least make the bonus objective impossible.  They didn't bother to even have a static layout for the crowd on the mission, they just let it be whatever it was with a couple of additions.  That or they randomly set some portion of the crowd but in a way that impacts the mission significantly.

Jesus... I just completed the mission after a 2-day break, and not only hadn't it improved, it was way worse than I thought.

As you say, the crowds are random. "Random" in my case meant that a group of soldiers almost always started right next to me and were immediately hostile. The NPCs would start acting while my loading screen was still up, so by the time I got to control Connor in the chase, the guy I was following already had a considerable head start, and worse, the soldier next to me was already in the middle of attacking me, something I couldn't avoid. This sent me either sprawling on the ground, making the mission unwinnable, or made me stumble to such a degree that the guy's head start was even bigger. Fun.

Then a bug happened (oh my, a bug in this game? heavens no!) that caused me to realize I had actually run past the guy at one point since he got stuck in a group of NPCs for a few seconds. I was running right next to him for a while, but nothing happened. I figured it was the kind of scripted mission that would end if I could keep up with him to a specific point in the chase, so I kept running (I had previously tried shooting him, which caused me to desynchronize. This was part of the reason I came to this conclusion. In my mind the game was obviously trying to tell me not to interfere with the chase in typical game logic).  Then another bug (no way!) occurred that caused a group of soldiers that were supposed to be standing by the side of the road to instead cover the road in a perfect line that my target could safely pass, but if I tried two of them would simultaneously attack me and send me sprawling. Before I could even get up, I'd already be seeing the flashing screen and a warning to get closer to my target or desynchronize. Then the guards would attack me again before I could run any further, once again sending me stumbling.

The next attempt saw the exact same bugs happen, but then a weird thing happened. I managed to follow the guy (barely, and with a solid dose of luck) for the entirety of his route... which sent us back to the start. The chase is a loop! I suddenly had no idea what I was supposed to do, but figured that maybe there was some sort of tackling mechanic involved. I could dimly recollect seeing something like that in an earlier game in the series, though I thought I might have mixed that up with L.A. Noire. Assassin's Creed 3 had never even hinted at such a mechanic being available. It hadn't mentioned its existence, hadn't shown me a key combination, hadn't told me what to do in the mission (it just sets up the chase. Have fun!), didn't mention it in the help files as far as I can see, or anything else that could have pointed me in the right direction.

But I had a cunning plan. I could abuse the bug I had seen on my last two attempts, tackling him when he got stuck in the first crowd. Smiling and realizing that it was now a trivial task, I restarted from checkpoint... And the bugs didn't happen. Instead I was forced to follow this guy, who had numerous advantages (such as not getting attacked by guards, knowing the route, and not risking having to climb walls or random objects, nor suddenly and inexplicably hiding in a haybale that was set directly in the path of the chase. Thanks game, jumping in the hay in the middle of a chase is exactly what Connor would have done!) and try to get closer to him. Easier said than done since he runs exactly as fast as you and doesn't bump into NPCs.

Several attempts later I managed to luck out and get close to him. Deliberately moving my eyes to the small section in the lower right of the screen that shows context-sensitive keys, I saw no change. Sigh. I got right next to him, moved my eyes over there again (which is dangerous in this chase, where a single misstep means your doom), and lo and behold, it now showed that I could press the circle key to tackle the bastard. Click. Done! Thank fucking god!

If I never have to play that mission again, it will be way too soon. Also, keep the developers of AC3 away from me for a couple of weeks. I might lose control and punch them.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 06:36:23 PM by TiLT » Logged
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 07, 2012, 07:27:01 PM »

I'm really, really happy I didn't give into my yearnings to pre-order this game. Sounds like it needs some patching Roll Eyes

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 07, 2012, 07:50:36 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 07, 2012, 06:34:40 PM

I did this one like 4 times, the worst part is depending on the random seed you get there are a couple of sections that are nearly impossible or at the very least make the bonus objective impossible.  They didn't bother to even have a static layout for the crowd on the mission, they just let it be whatever it was with a couple of additions.  That or they randomly set some portion of the crowd but in a way that impacts the mission significantly.

Jesus... I just completed the mission after a 2-day break, and not only hadn't it improved, it was way worse than I thought.

As you say, the crowds are random. "Random" in my case meant that a group of soldiers almost always started right next to me and were immediately hostile. The NPCs would start acting while my loading screen was still up, so by the time I got to control Connor in the chase, the guy I was following already had a considerable head start, and worse, the soldier next to me was already in the middle of attacking me, something I couldn't avoid. This sent me either sprawling on the ground, making the mission unwinnable, or made me stumble to such a degree that the guy's head start was even bigger. Fun.

Then a bug happened (oh my, a bug in this game? heavens no!) that caused me to realize I had actually run past the guy at one point since he got stuck in a group of NPCs for a few seconds. I was running right next to him for a while, but nothing happened. I figured it was the kind of scripted mission that would end if I could keep up with him to a specific point in the chase, so I kept running (I had previously tried shooting him, which caused me to desynchronize. This was part of the reason I came to this conclusion. In my mind the game was obviously trying to tell me not to interfere with the chase in typical game logic).  Then another bug (no way!) occurred that caused a group of soldiers that were supposed to be standing by the side of the road to instead cover the road in a perfect line that my target could safely pass, but if I tried two of them would simultaneously attack me and send me sprawling. Before I could even get up, I'd already be seeing the flashing screen and a warning to get closer to my target or desynchronize. Then the guards would attack me again before I could run any further, once again sending me stumbling.

The next attempt saw the exact same bugs happen, but then a weird thing happened. I managed to follow the guy (barely, and with a solid dose of luck) for the entirety of his route... which sent us back to the start. The chase is a loop! I suddenly had no idea what I was supposed to do, but figured that maybe there was some sort of tackling mechanic involved. I could dimly recollect seeing something like that in an earlier game in the series, though I thought I might have mixed that up with L.A. Noire. Assassin's Creed 3 had never even hinted at such a mechanic being available. It hadn't mentioned its existence, hadn't shown me a key combination, hadn't told me what to do in the mission (it just sets up the chase. Have fun!), didn't mention it in the help files as far as I can see, or anything else that could have pointed me in the right direction.

But I had a cunning plan. I could abuse the bug I had seen on my last two attempts, tackling him when he got stuck in the first crowd. Smiling and realizing that it was now a trivial task, I restarted from checkpoint... And the bugs didn't happen. Instead I was forced to follow this guy, who had numerous advantages (such as not getting attacked by guards, knowing the route, and not risking having to climb walls or random objects, nor suddenly and inexplicably hiding in a haybale that was set directly in the path of the chase. Thanks game, jumping in the hay in the middle of a chase is exactly what Connor would have done!) and try to get closer to him. Easier said than done since he runs exactly as fast as you and doesn't bump into NPCs.

Several attempts later I managed to luck out and get close to him. Deliberately moving my eyes to the small section in the lower right of the screen that shows context-sensitive keys, I saw no change. Sigh. I got right next to him, moved my eyes over there again (which is dangerous in this chase, where a single misstep means your doom), and lo and behold, it now showed that I could press the circle key to tackle the bastard. Click. Done! Thank fucking god!

If I never have to play that mission again, it will be way too soon. Also, keep the developers of AC3 away from me for a couple of weeks. I might lose control and punch them.

Yeah - I threw my controller across the room today in a fit of rage after trying this mission 6 times. The last time I ALMOST had him when I decided to jump into a haystack. Yeah, thanks Master Assassin, you are doing great.

The game is unfortunately full of things like that, and its becoming more and more Dragons Lair with predetermined keypresses showing me a movie...not fun at all.

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: November 07, 2012, 08:27:31 PM »

It's beginning to make sense. Almost every issue with the game is related to things that would have worked fine if you knew exactly what you're supposed to do beforehand. However, the game is so vague or even nonexistent with its instructions that figuring out these things becomes a matter of frustrating trial and failure. Here's another example from playing for an hour right now (that's all it takes. One hour of playing this game and I find plenty of new issues. Every. Single. Time.)

I'm asked to sneak through a prison. If I'm detected, I fail. That could work really well in a good stealth game, but AC3 isn't one. Game stealth requires that you have full, or at least next to full knowledge about your enemies and your options. This doesn't happen here. The guards walk a circular path through the area (you find this out the hard way: Through trial and failure, or in this case, trial and detection). The correct way to deal with the problem is to stay behind one of the guards as he walks his route, staying behind corners until he passes the next corner in the path. If you walk the opposite way, you are detected. If you move too fast, you are detected. There's no way to know that standing behind that corner for an extended period of time, waiting for the guard to walk on, won't let another guard walk up behind you and detect you. The only way to figure it out is to try and fail (or perhaps succeed, if you're lucky). There's no skill. No logical deduction. Just trial and failure. You repeat until you make it through, and you don't feel satisfaction over having solved a challenge. You feel relief of having finally stumbled upon the way the designers wanted you to do it. It's like playing an old, old Sierra game, where figuring out the designer's way of thinking was the point, and death was at every corner if you couldn't.

In another situation I'm playing Desmond. I'm supposed to be following a guy, but he disappears before I get to regain controls after a cutscene. I run blindly through the corridors, hoping I accidentally stumble upon him. Nope, I'm instead attacked by guards. Am I supposed to be fighting them? Well, one of them has a red circle above his head. That must be the target. I take down the guards in the immediate vicinity, but the action music keeps playing and I can't loot the guy who had the circle above his head. It slowly dawns on me that he maybe wasn't the target. But why haven't I failed yet if he got away? The game just taught me that lagging behind a target during a chase means failure, just a few missions ago. But no, in this case the target runs to a particular spot and stands there, waiting for you to find him. Hell, you can sneak up on him and strangle him for all he cares. His AI stops when he reaches that spot. Then you kill him, and the camera inexplicably zooms in really close to your back (which, as it happens, also seems like it might be zooming in on a spot in the distance), limiting your turn rate, and it sends a bunch of enemies after you. When games do this, it always means that you're supposed to run straight forward through a linear escape sequence. But no, AC3 has to be different. The NPC "talking me through the mission" mumbles something in my ear about where I'm supposed to go. I have no clue what she just said, and there's no text on the screen nor a target hinting at my destination. Running forward towards what I thought was a door the camera had zoomed in on, I find it locked, the camera is stuck against a wall, blocking my sight, and three guards run up to me and start to fight me. I don't see what's going on but eventually defeat them, inches from my own death. Turns out the game expected me to immediately turn around 180 degrees after the mumbling, and run through some crowds as if I know the map by heart. I don't. The camera is so zoomed in and my turning rate so limited that I barely know what I'm doing. I stumble through the crowds, running wherever there's an opening, and eventually win. I sit there, dejected, wondering what the hell just happened.

I return to a different location (no explanation of how. It just happens. AC3 keeps doing this). A character tells me that I may jump back into the Animus or try to plug in a "power source" I apparently just found. Where do I plug in this power source? I haven't got the faintest idea. I stumble around for a while without getting any wiser, then accidentally notice a computer that I can check email with. I'm probably halfway through the game, and I just found out what the hell the game was talking about when notification boxes popped up with "you have a new email". The game never bothered to tell me this. It just assumed I knew. It also assumes I know what to do with the power sources.

The game assumes a lot of things about player knowledge in this game. This makes me think it was never put through external beta testing, but instead only tested internally among a limited group of people who got so used to the game and the missions that they were unable to tell when information was missing. The result is the jumbled mess I've been describing in my posts in this thread.

The game is ambitious, has a great story and a lot of potential, but that helps very little when more than half of my time with it is this frustrating. The previous games I've played in the series (AC1, AC2 and AC2: Brotherhood) were never like this. They were only frustrating in dungeons, and that was a small part of the games. The best parts were the ones where you roam freely across cities, taking on objectives at your leisure. AC3 is never like that. You've always got something hanging over you, like an NPC going "you have to hurry or this important guy will die!", leading you into another mission. I have to actually break the narrative in order to explore the game on my own.

All of this post was talking about one hour of gameplay, and this is representative of the rest of the experience as well. That's pretty alarming.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 07, 2012, 08:47:14 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on November 07, 2012, 07:27:01 PM

I'm really, really happy I didn't give into my yearnings to pre-order this game. Sounds like it needs some patching Roll Eyes

This

Everytime i read a new post i am thinking "What's going on Ubisoft?"..but as said,if Far Cry 3 is the same i will be very pissed off,there are so many games i want this Fall and i am in a position where i have to be careful what i buy,i would be devastated if it was a half-assed release

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 07, 2012, 08:53:04 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 07, 2012, 08:47:14 PM

Quote from: jztemple2 on November 07, 2012, 07:27:01 PM

This

Everytime i read a new post i am thinking "What's going on Ubisoft?"..but as said,if Far Cry 3 is the same i will be very pissed off,there are so many games i want this Fall and i am in a position where i have to be careful what i buy,i would be devastated if it was a half-assed release

I too will be sadly disappointed if Far Cry 3 is as screwed as AC3 appears to be. I'm a big fan of the first two FC games and have pre-ordered FC3 because of the history.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 08, 2012, 01:19:59 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 07, 2012, 02:44:43 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on November 07, 2012, 02:20:13 PM

Yeah, the whole thing is very clunky where the earlier games were not.

As for the pages, they keep moving, and if you don't grab them by the time they reach a certain location they'll be gone and won't appear again until you return to the area later. The stupid thing is that unless you know the exact path they'll fly before arriving, it's next to impossible to catch them. Trying to follow them just means you'll reach wherever they just were too late to grab them. I've managed to grab one so far through blind luck.

Thanks. I've seen a dang page now but as you noted the capture window is short and I've had no luck snagging one. And my problem with the barrels (as I feared) turned out to be something stoopid on my part. There must have been someone behind the wall the wagon was sitting in front as it showed me the same red circle that it had for the lookout and the gate guards just a moment ago. Problem was I thought that was where I was aiming as it seemed like I could move it around. Last night I finally noticed the small white reticule that was my actual aiming point, moved it over the barrels and boom.  Roll Eyes

-craig

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 08, 2012, 02:02:11 PM »

Damn, I guess I am on ignore then. :'(

A new one
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 08, 2012, 02:05:14 PM »

And yet this game scores mid 80s all the way up to mid 90s on most sites.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: November 08, 2012, 02:42:14 PM »

Quote from: Covenant on November 08, 2012, 02:05:14 PM

And yet this game scores mid 80s all the way up to mid 90s on most sites.

They seem to review the game based on its ambition instead of its delivered state. I glanced quickly at the GameSpot 8,5 review earlier today, and they include in their list of cons: "Too many bugs and glitches". I guess reviewers often get delivered review versions of games that haven't received the final bit of polish (such as a day 0 patch, which AC3 has), so they start ignoring issues through the assumption that the majority will be fixed before regular players get their hands on the game anyway. Or so I'd think. AC3 would be a clear 90% game if it wasn't for the horrible mission designs, the pacing problems and the enormous amount of bugs. As you can tell from my above posts though, these issues are so prevalent and so major that they are impossible to ignore. The game in its current state is not worth the 8,5 GameSpot gave it, and I don't think even patching will ever bring it to that level since the pacing and the missions are unlikely to get tweaked after the game has been released. Bugs I can live with. Bad design I can't.

I should mention that I loved AC1, AC2 and AC2: Brotherhood (haven't played Revelations), but I absolutely hated the dungeons in those games. Those brought out the worst elements of the games. AC3 integrates that kind of gameplay deeper into the regular missions, and to some degree abandons the free-roaming nature of the previous games in the series.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 08, 2012, 08:22:24 PM »

Seriously - Screw this game. I'm travelling to New York in the Deep of Winnter to help someone, when suddenly George Washington is there, and I yell at him that he never should ask me for anything again after "something" - I have no idea what drugs connor are on, but apparently its now Summer, and George washing is sorry but he has to ask me...???

Yeah, a bit later I'm told to fight someone and stop a sniper - Well, the camera starts rotating like crazy, because I'm fighting two people and trying to move away from them. Apparently Connor isn't able to move away from people...And the camera thinks its funny to look at people through a wall.

Fun game.

I seriously do not understand why this game has the high ratings it has - Its a mess.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 08:33:16 PM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: November 08, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »

I actually had fun with the game tonight, mostly because I ignored the missions and just went about exploring. Learned that I had missed one of the primary buttons in combat too because I was always too busy fighting to see the tutorial messages popping at the far side of the screen. Pressing X in combat on the PS3 makes you swipe the enemy's weapon aside, which opens them up for further attacks. I had been struggling for a while in taking down heavy enemies, but this seems to be the way to do it.

The mission I did tonight was also reasonably fun, though I can see how it could have gotten frustrating fast. I even got all the secondary objectives, which were all about stealth: killing a certain amount of guards without being detected, avoiding detection without using the most obvious hiding spot, and so on.

By exploring you don't have to worry about the mission design and pacing and can just do things the way you want to. One advantage AC3 has over the previous games is that it has better free-running. You're much less likely here to jump off in a random direction you certainly wasn't aiming for, though it does happen.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 08, 2012, 08:47:50 PM »

Ah, you seem to be right about to hit the spot I'm talking about. Let me know if you find that part fun as well, as well as the sudden change in scenery from winter to summer in a split second.

A new one
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 09, 2012, 02:28:33 AM »

My wife went out of town for a long weekend, so I went ahead and picked this up yesterday. I am in the post childhood but still early Connor stages. The game was definitely rushed as there are many little glitches the other games didn't have. I also really don't like the new controls or the new HUD. I also was very annoyed at the parts spoken in "Indian" since they inexpicably have the subtitles so god damned small on the screen. (Seriously, way too many console games have too small a text. We aren't sitting 6 inches from a monitor playing these games....)

Having said that the game content has been pretty fun so far (if slow). Back to it.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: November 09, 2012, 05:52:51 AM »

Quote from: JCC on November 09, 2012, 02:28:33 AM

Having said that the game content has been pretty fun so far (if slow). Back to it.

Yeah, it's a slow but wonderful storyline and presentation, at least in the beginning. The first few hours feel very unique for a video game and make me hope more companies are going to try something like that. It gets more disjointed and harder to follow later, but that doesn't alter the fact that the early hours are great.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: November 09, 2012, 02:33:12 PM »

Seems like Gameinformer wrote an article a few days ago about the exact same things I've been mentioning in this thread. I hope this gets more media attention so that Ubisoft will realize they need to be more careful with a game series they want to continue profiting from. The last three Assassin's Creed games (AC3, Liberation and Revelations) have been criticized for having serious issues, and that's just not a good way to keep fans coming back for more.

Interestingly, while I haven't played Liberation as much as AC3 yet, it has been considerably better at teaching me about game mechanics before asking me to take advantage of them.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 09, 2012, 09:26:59 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 09, 2012, 02:33:12 PM

The last three Assassin's Creed games (AC3, Liberation and Revelations) have been criticized for having serious issues, and that's just not a good way to keep fans coming back for more.

maybe they figure if it works for Madden it'll work for them  icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 09, 2012, 09:45:06 PM »

I'm getting frustrated just reading about the in-game experiences that some of you have shared.  What the heck happened to this game?  I played a lot of AC and AC2, and I don't remember anything like the frustrating examples posted here.  Unclear mission objectives drive me nuts in any game.       
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: November 09, 2012, 10:50:08 PM »

Well, I had fun with the game again tonight. Didn't play a single story mission, which I think is key. You have to deliberately sabotage the story in order to get out of it, which is highly annoying, but once you do the game starts to feel like a classic Assassin's Creed experience again. Now I'm running and riding all over the place, climbing vantage points, finding treasures, helping civilians in need, and so on. There are also other missions around the place, and they seem to be generally more enjoyable than the story missions. The only real problem I had tonight was when I was climbing a tree, which doubled as a vantage point to synchronize from. On my way up I jumped towards a branch (I've done this numerous times before, as the same tree is used for several of these points), but Connor decided he'd rather end his suffering and jumped directly into nothingness, desynchronizing me. AC3 is generally pretty good about avoiding suicide jumps, which made it all the more surprising. At least you get to respawn very close to where you died.

I used 3D for the entire session, and it really makes the graphics feel more real. One thing I've noticed about 3D in both movies and games is that it looks better in dark environments (in the game/movie, not in reality). AC3 likes to keep things bright though, even at night. Imagine my surprise and delight then to do a side mission and discover that it was set in a very dark environment with only limited light sources. I stumbled through the darkness in full 3D and loved it, with sources of light really standing out in a good way.

Did a ship mission during a full storm at night too, and it was a good one. Fog, rain, strong winds and rogue waves made for a visually striking expedition. For those wondering what a ship mission may look like I'm describing it in spoiler tags.

Spoiler for Hiden:
It started out with a couple of characters talking about a certain enemy captain in the area, which of course directly segues into them hearing cannon fire nearby. You climb the mast and scan the horizon, discovering a battle between the captain and a merchantman on the other side of some reefs. You need to get there before the merchantman is destroyed, which means navigating through reefs in a storm, not a trivial task. As you steer the ship through the rocky areas, side winds threaten to smash you into them. You have to carefully switch between full and half sails to avoid being dragged sideways and still keep as much speed as possible, and you need to steer as well.

Getting past the reefs, the ship is threatened by rogue waves rising from one side. You have to order your ship to take cover at the right time so they don't get washed to sea, and you still need to keep a steady course and good speed.

Eventually you are able to see the battle in the distance. The captain you're hunting disengages from the battle, leaving the wounded merchantman behind, surrounded by a group of smaller ships trying to sink it. Connor insists on saving the merchantman instead of taking up chase, so you start a ship-to-ship battle with them. It's a tricky battle because of the waves. Fire at the wrong time and your shot will splash harmlessly into a wave instead of hitting its target.

Destroying the small ships and saving the merchantman, you take up chase again. More rogue waves threaten your progress, and you're suddenly intercepted by two larger frigates (I think?), at which point you lose the captain's trail, forcing you to deal with these newcomers. They are tough ships, but you can use the ship's smaller, more flexible cannons to target weak points if you can get close enough, destroying the ships in one shot if your aim is true.

With the two ships destroyed, the mission ends and a final cutscene sees Connor talking to other crew about the captain who escaped and what this means for the war against the British.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 10, 2012, 01:15:38 AM »

I've completely given up on the tree climbing.  I fall more often than not.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: November 10, 2012, 09:56:14 AM »

Quote from: gellar on November 10, 2012, 01:15:38 AM

I've completely given up on the tree climbing.  I fall more often than not.

I actually haven't had any such issues with it. I've even completed a challenge for running 100 yards along the treetops without stopping. The problem I mentioned above happened when climbing a special synchronization tree, but regular ones are much easier to deal with. For the most part the game "never" lets you jump if that would send you off the intended path.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: