http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 02:27:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PC/Wii U/PS3] Assassin's Creed 3 - GT review page 3!  (Read 11351 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: October 30, 2012, 05:04:59 PM »

As is Keith's review for Liberation!

We've also put up the launch trailer.  Yup, it's AC3 day.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 30, 2012, 05:35:03 PM »

Gotta wait until I get power, but I'm wondering if there's any final word on 360 vs PS3 for this. Not pre-release forum buzz, but solid info.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 30, 2012, 05:47:59 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 30, 2012, 05:35:03 PM

Gotta wait until I get power, but I'm wondering if there's any final word on 360 vs PS3 for this. Not pre-release forum buzz, but solid info.

Same.  In general I like Xbox for any multiplayer(and chevos!), but an hour of content for PS3 plus the extra mission from the PS Vita link makes it tempting.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2012, 08:14:44 PM »

Well, I was at Target by chance and since they have a b2g1 sale going on, I got the PS3 and Vita versions of AC and NFS.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2012, 08:58:42 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 30, 2012, 08:14:44 PM

Well, I was at Target by chance and since they have a b2g1 sale going on, I got the PS3 and Vita versions of AC and NFS.

Same here. Got AC3, WWE 13 and NFS for the PS3 today at Target. Sweet deal!

My wife got Liberation for the Vita with her Liberation White Vita bundle today...so I got that free as well! smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2012, 09:00:41 PM »

Quote from: Vidiot on October 30, 2012, 05:47:59 PM

Same.  In general I like Xbox for any multiplayer(and chevos!), but an hour of content for PS3 plus the extra mission from the PS Vita link makes it tempting.

It seems like they are both pretty much identical, except maybe a bit more tearing on the 360. All things being equal, get it for the PS3. The extra story stuff is pretty meaty....I mean come on, it's Benedict Arnold and his whole betrayal of us at West Point!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2012, 09:54:14 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on October 30, 2012, 09:00:41 PM

It seems like they are both pretty much identical, except maybe a bit more tearing on the 360. All things being equal, get it for the PS3. The extra story stuff is pretty meaty....I mean come on, it's Benedict Arnold and his whole betrayal of us at West Point!

true, but it's only an hour of meat that might pale in comparison to many more hours of MP meat with friends depending how many people you have on your friends lists.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2012, 10:08:23 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 30, 2012, 09:54:14 PM

Quote from: Hetz on October 30, 2012, 09:00:41 PM

true, but it's only an hour of meat that might pale in comparison to many more hours of MP meat with friends depending how many people you have on your friends lists.

Very true as well. I've got about the same amount of friends on both consoles....so it came down to the extra single player stuff for me.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2012, 10:13:48 PM »

Anyone actually playing this yet?

Based on reviews I've read I think I'll wait and see what the fan consensus is... particularly to see if the ending is really bad.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2012, 10:15:01 PM »

Quote from: JCC on October 30, 2012, 10:13:48 PM

Anyone actually playing this yet?

Based on reviews I've read I think I'll wait and see what the fan consensus is... particularly to see if the ending is really bad.

I hear you can choose yellow, purple, mauve or teal, all of which eventually give the same message that the real ending will be coming in 4-6 months.

Because I can,
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2012, 11:50:03 PM »

Well the UPS guy didn't drop off the package at my door like usual.  They seem to randomly decide they don't want to leave it.  In any case I am taking this as a sign I should swing by best buy and pick up the PS3 version and Liberation on the way home.  I have more 360 friends I do multiplayer with, but if I am honest with myself as much as I like it I almost never did Brotherhood mplayer and never did Rev mplayer.  Everyone will probably switch to Halo or CoD in a couple weeks anyways.  icon_biggrin
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 31, 2012, 01:29:20 AM »

still undecided whether to get it or not because of not finishing ACR

anyone else not finished that one and starting AC3?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 31, 2012, 01:57:53 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 31, 2012, 01:29:20 AM

still undecided whether to get it or not because of not finishing ACR

anyone else not finished that one and starting AC3?

In the grand scheme of things, it isn't 100% important to play Revelations, but I am glad I did.  It adds some flavor to Desmond and then sets up where Desmond is at the start of AC3.  Like I say, though, it's not mandatory or anything.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: October 31, 2012, 02:09:26 AM »

Glad that the 360 version isn't broken or anything.  Just have to wait for my copy to arrive, sometime on the 1st.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 31, 2012, 04:13:55 AM »

I'm waiting for the PC version, assuming the PC version isn't a shitty console port like the previous ones have been.

If it is, I'll consider the Wii U version. If that version is a shitty port, I'll skip it as well.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 31, 2012, 04:10:21 PM »

First impressions.

The intro does drag a bit, after 3-4 hours I think I am finally getting past it. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
The coming to America part was great, and a great symbolic transition from Europe to the new game.

Part of this was due to one controller throwing mission that just wasn't happening for me. You desync on detection, so if you get surprised or mess up an assassination and stab instead it is an instant loss.  It also has a sync reward for killing around corners that adds a bit of time to running the whole mission again.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The fort assault with Kenway and the crew.  It pretty awesome with the assassin calls as such, but once you get in the fort and had to unlock the captives it went down hill fast.   The first time I took forever learning the routs and got all the way to the boat, got surprised when the boat guy was around the corner and lost when I attacked but didn't kill.  The second time the final dude on the boat randomly turned around (he never did it a second time, no clue what happened).  The third the first guy on the boat glitched in a way where it was impossible to sneak up on him.  The fourth I was getting frustrated and did something stupid.  Got it the 5th time.

Things went okay for a while until another desync on detection mission.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Following Washington as he talks in the fort.  It opens up after that talk, but it took me a good few tries to find the right follow path and distance.  You also need to KO the first guard or he is guaranteed to spot you on the ladder.

After that it picks up again and you finish up the first part of the intro. 

Comment you should open until after you finish
Spoiler for Hiden:
the Kenway missions and move on to Conner.
Spoiler for Hiden:
The Kenway reveal was pretty awesome.  I liked how even Desmond was like "Holy shit.."

Pretty excited to see where it goes.  It feels very different seeing AC in this time period.  The last four all had a similar feel even with the time difference, but this one feels pretty different.  Next I think I want to see an old west AC.  I'm thinking an Assassin gunslinger.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 31, 2012, 11:30:38 PM »

This game looks and sounds so amazing. Thanks for making me want it, Ron. Looks like something I need to put on my Christmas wishlist. The part about the sailing and building up a crew did it for me. It actually makes me wish for a new Pirates! game from Sid Meier using a 3D engine like this. It's actually that component to the game that I'm most interested in in terms of multiplayer. Will we be able to battle it out on the high seas?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: November 01, 2012, 08:50:01 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on October 31, 2012, 11:30:38 PM

This game looks and sounds so amazing. Thanks for making me want it, Ron. Looks like something I need to put on my Christmas wishlist. The part about the sailing and building up a crew did it for me. It actually makes me wish for a new Pirates! game from Sid Meier using a 3D engine like this. It's actually that component to the game that I'm most interested in in terms of multiplayer. Will we be able to battle it out on the high seas?

I wish they had some boat combat - that'd be epic.  I suspect we might see that as DLC.   Building up your boat gets pretty important quickly, but the first time you plow the Aquila through several little Schooner-sized boat and take them apart like they are paper mache' it is kinda awesome.   I'd love to see a full game of the sailing portion.  So many companies have tried and failed hard on that. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 02, 2012, 03:26:15 PM »

I got pretty burned out on the AC games after 2, but have to admit that AC3 is kinda intriguing.  My PS3 has been feeling neglected anyways, so I might pick this up and give it a shot.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: November 02, 2012, 10:42:15 PM »

Man, this game is glitchy! I haven't even become a full assassin yet, and I've still had to restart missions multiple times because of glitches that made them impossible to complete or because of goals that were so unclear that I had no idea what to do and had to more or less act at random until I was either dead/detected/out of range, depending on the mission. Some missions give you goals that are extremely counter-intuitive, such as the one I just finished where you're supposed to save someone who's drowning. You're given an additional goal: "Don't touch the water". After one failed attempt I simply couldn't imagine a way not to do that, so I just dived into it... which awarded me that exact goal. What the hell? Then there's the mission where you're heading for a goal, you come across a group of soldiers barring the road, and are told by your companion that you shouldn't try climbing across the roofs to engage them. No, "it's time I teached you about the tunnels. Follow me." and then... nothing. He keeps following you. The goal seems to be the same. You still have to get past groups of guards. Blindly stumbling towards the goal by walking through alleys (which is very counterintuitive considering the goal and the dialogue), I find my goal area fully guarded. You can't walk past as the guards will attack. In desperation I snuck across the roof, leaving my companion behind, then dropped down on the other side. He promptly runs through the groups of guards to reach me, and they don't bother him at all. Then it turns out I'm at the entrance to the tunnels. What the hell?

These are far from the only glitchy or unclear situations I've come across either. You're told to pick up three feathers. You see two on your map in the local vicinity and pick them up. Others are also visible a little further away, but you quickly run into the animus restrictions, keeping you from getting to them. Turns out the game expects you to climb a nearby hill to reach an observation point which is right next to the desynchronization wall so that the final feather is revealed... despite the two original feathers in the same area being visible the whole time. *throws hands up in the air in exasperation*

I'm told to follow a guy. I do so. Within 10 seconds he's stuck in his AI routine trying to get past two civilians. I observe him for a while and realize he'll never get out of that loops, and restart from the last checkpoint. This time he actually engages the two in conversation. Another situation has me trying to enter a tent with a guard nearby. The guard is stuck in an AI loop too, and I can't get into the tent without him seeing me. My goal says "don't kill any guards", so I hesitate. Then I say "fuck it" and assassinate him from some tall grass... except he isn't killed. He's just knocked out. Huh? The game never told me about this. What did I do to make him knocked out instead of killed? How can I control this in the future? The game offers no insight.

I infiltrate a fort. The main character notices two cannons and says that you should disable those, and a similar goal pops up on my screen while two markers are placed on my map. I approach them, and realize too late that the game has inexplicably marked two guards who are having a conversation I'm supposed to overhear, which I promptly fail at due to my confusion over the issue. I no longer have any idea where those cannons are or what they even look like. The game offers no clues.

I'm about to enter the wilderness and need a horse. I find one right next to me. It's standing awkwardly with its front legs planted in its feeding tray, causing it to stand at an angle. I mount it and get stuck in the tray. After about 10-15 seconds of control-wiggling, I'm finally free.

There are other things too, mostly situations where I'm left struggling to figure out what the game wants me to do, often expecting me to do something with the controls that I haven't been taught about yet. The game teaches me to aim my gun at some barrels. I try, but the gun doesn't fire no matter how hard I try. I restart the checkpoint and lose my rifle. I still can't shoot with my pistol. It's a tutorial, so every other control is locked. I can't move. I keep struggling. After about 5 minutes of this I realize by accident that the barrels I'm supposed to be shooting at are below the ones the objective arrow is pointing at. I can't shoot while aiming unless the target gets a white outline. The game never told me this, instead wasting my time with these frustrating moments.

You'd think I hate the game by this point, but that's certainly not the case. Despite having played for two evenings without even leaving the tutorial, I'm enjoying myself a lot. The story is good and told in a fantastic way, and there's already been a twist that I really didn't see coming. I'm looking forward to having the game world open up to me and seeing more of the story.

As long as I don't have to deal with these constant glitches. At least I haven't been teleported 10 meters in the air just to be maimed by falling damage, like what happened to me in the very first mission of Assassin's Creed: Liberation.

(This is the patched version on the PS3, btw)
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 02, 2012, 10:59:35 PM »

even though i will eventually be picking this up for 360,i think i am glad i waited

Sorry about your problems TiLT..I hope Ubisoft's Far Cry 3 is not the same(with that being open world as well),as i have pre-ordered that...and its Ubisoft Montreal who have done both

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 02, 2012, 11:57:06 PM »

That sounds incredibly frustrating Tilt.  Thanks for taking the time to write about it.  I can wait for now.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 03, 2012, 04:44:12 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 01, 2012, 08:50:01 PM

I wish they had some boat combat - that'd be epic.  I suspect we might see that as DLC.   Building up your boat gets pretty important quickly, but the first time you plow the Aquila through several little Schooner-sized boat and take them apart like they are paper mache' it is kinda awesome.   I'd love to see a full game of the sailing portion.  So many companies have tried and failed hard on that. 

Oh, did I misunderstand what you wrote, then? No boat combat even as part of the story? Or just no multiplayer boat combat?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: November 03, 2012, 07:18:22 AM »

Quote from: Rumpy on November 03, 2012, 04:44:12 AM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 01, 2012, 08:50:01 PM

Oh, did I misunderstand what you wrote, then? No boat combat even as part of the story? Or just no multiplayer boat combat?

There is definitely boat combat. I've seen this in review videos, though I haven't come across any myself yet.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: November 03, 2012, 05:03:59 PM »

Now I've been through ship combat myself. It's definitely there.

Holy hell is this the buggiest, glitchiest game I've played in ages! AC3 could have used at least 3 more months of polish. The kind of problems it has right now are very unlikely to be fixed through a patch. The majority of my issues with it are related to mission and goal design. Every third goal or so the game gives me is so vague that I'm not sure what it's asking me to do.

"Limit musket fire 0/6" - Limit my shooting, or enemy shooting? And what do those numbers represent? The maximum number of times I (or the enemy) can fire, or does it tell me in an underhanded way that I must limit musket fire 6 times to succeed? (I know the answer now btw, so no need to tell me. This was the kind of stuff I was thinking about when doing these missions)
"Limit time in combat 0:15" - Total time for the entire mission, or the maximum time for each combat? It doesn't help me figure it out when it starts counting down during the first battle and retains its new value afterwards, then suddenly resets when the next battle happens. Oh, and why give me a goal about limiting combat when combat is forced upon me by an NPC that I have no control over, and the enemies he triggers are the tough kind that takes about a minute each to take out if you can't assassinate them beforehand? As of right now I haven't got the faintest clue how that goal is even possible to achieve for that mission.
"Throw enemies in the water" - Living ones or dead ones? The only ones I can pick up are the dead ones, so I try them. Nope, doesn't look like I got any credit for that, though it's hard to tell since the game hides goals about 3 seconds after displaying them, and the only way I've found to see them again is to pause and then unpause the game, which displays them for another 3 seconds. Very handy when you have 3+ goals at the same time </sarcasm>.
"Don't touch the ground" - Immediately followed by the game steering me across terrain that I would most definitely call "ground". Except the game doesn't. It's rocky terrain, so it doesn't count as ground. Alright, that makes sense... not.
"Stop the" something or another. Couldn't make it out before the game hid the goal and put a big timer on my screen, counting down from 15 seconds with an ominous alert. Er... okay. I'll just kill the guy in front of me. Ok, that seems to be what the game wanted. Lucky me.

I've lost count of the number of times I've been told to follow someone, then walked alongside them as my character and the NPC engages in conversation, which is promptly cut short by a cutscene. Most games that have your character talking while you travel to a destination carefully time the dialogue so you can't interrupt it by getting to your destination early. In this game you actually have to "sabotage" what seems to be the natural flow of the setting and stop completely if you want to hear all the dialogue. Sloppy.

The interface can be completely counter-intuitive. I still haven't gotten used to the map and its backwards controls. I almost always jump out of the map before I remember that I'm supposed to be using the right thumbstick, not the left one. I can't find an overview of my goals, and I don't see how I can learn what my destination is when a mission marker appears outside of the local map I'm on. If the game wants me to go from the homestead to Boston, why can't it just tell me instead of forcing me to run through the homestead, the frontier and then Boston when I could have just hitched a ride on a boat (or so I think. The game isn't clear on whether or not this is a service I can use at any time, though it seems to imply that it is).

I have to take breaks to enjoy this game properly, because the annoying parts build up over time and cause outright anger. It doesn't help to recall that neither AC1 or 2 had these issues. AC3 was clearly rushed to the market, and it shows.
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 03, 2012, 05:04:34 PM »

+1 Tilt

I hit a few of the same issues as you and some of my own. I have had more controller throwing moments than the last 2 or 3 games combined and I expect I am less than half way.  Good thing the story is still awesome and there have been some good moments.

Have you noticed cut scenes are just off? Weird pauses, strange timing and at sometimes it feels like you are missing parts of the story?  I never remember feeling this way about the past games.  
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 03, 2012, 05:09:27 PM »

I have given up on optional goals. Made the frustration level go down a lot. They seem to be the really sketchy part.

On the map you can zoom out and in to cities to see where your next mission is.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: November 03, 2012, 05:10:20 PM »

Quote from: Vidiot on November 03, 2012, 05:04:34 PM

Have you noticed cut scenes are just off? Weird pauses, strange timing and at sometimes it feels like you are missing parts of the story?  I never remember feeling this way about the past games.  

Depends on the cutscene. Some of them appear awkward, such as one I just saw that didn't mix the sound properly, making it sound like it wasn't edited at all. As for the story, I have absolutely no interest in American history (for reasons that should be obvious) so I figure that some of the things going on are lost on me because I lack the proper knowledge about the real events behind it.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: November 03, 2012, 05:11:27 PM »

Quote from: Vidiot on November 03, 2012, 05:09:27 PM

I have given up on optional goals. Made the frustration level go down a lot. They seem to be the really sketchy part.

Yeah, that seems like a good idea. Suck though, because I've always been very thorough in the Assassin's Creed games, which means it's not fun to abandon that concept now.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 04, 2012, 01:47:10 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 03, 2012, 05:11:27 PM

Yeah, that seems like a good idea. Suck though, because I've always been very thorough in the Assassin's Creed games, which means it's not fun to abandon that concept now.

I've generally always ignored the goals and the game has been *mostly* good, but it still definitely has a few frustrating/vague moments.

All that being said, it's still a lot of fun.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 04, 2012, 09:13:34 AM »

I've said 'fuck them' ever since they got introduced in Brotherhood.  about the only thing they're good for is if you're going for an achievement/trophy, and even if they unlock a special scene you can count on someone putting it up on youtube.  let the 100% chumps do all that work for you though, just sit back, relax and enjoy the game.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 04, 2012, 04:13:23 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 04, 2012, 09:13:34 AM

I've said 'fuck them' ever since they got introduced in Brotherhood.  about the only thing they're good for is if you're going for an achievement/trophy, and even if they unlock a special scene you can count on someone putting it up on youtube.  let the 100% chumps do all that work for you though, just sit back, relax and enjoy the game.

Yeah, going for the goals really messes up the flow of the game, IMO.  I, too, stopped at Brotherhood.

What I will do is pay attention to the goal, and shoot for it (I went back into a camp to find a general I was meant to kill in one mission, for example), but if I don't get it, I move on.

I found them to be especially annoying in the timed missions.  I like to explore and you put me in a new cave.  Don't make me rush through it.

spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 05, 2012, 05:34:37 AM »

So I just finished the game (at 74% completion by the game's final tally). In typical Assassin's Creed style, the ending was a sprinkle of "huh?" and and dash of "WTF". All in all though it was pretty enjoyable to play in a more recognizable setting this time with the protagonist's tale playfully weaving itself into known historical events of America's birth and history.

For about 90% of the game I pretty much just played through the main story missions. I had no inclination whatsoever to play through any of the side missions or other grindy superfluous supplementary stuff and other game subsystems. Didn't collect almanac pages, do Peg Leg's missions, did none of the homestead stuff, optional naval battles, courier missions, hunting, assassin's guild, etc. At some point the optional goals just became a joke as well. It didn't matter to me at all getting full synchronization or not.

My complaints were that the combat still seemed kludgy as ever and there were way too many instafail rinse-and-repeat missions. The game is also buggy in spots where missions don't trigger when they're supposed to, interface quirks, convoluted mission objectives and the classic one of still inadvertently climbing things during a chase or running away when it's least convenient.

So I'm putting this one in the bag, and right in time for Halo 4 coming up  slywink
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 07:47:11 PM by spigot » Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 05, 2012, 01:47:19 PM »

Quote from: spigot on November 05, 2012, 05:34:37 AM

My complaints were that the combat still seemed kludgy as ever and there were way too many instafail rinse-and-repeat missions. The game is also buggy in spots where missions don't trigger when they're supposed to, interface quirks, convoluted mission objectives and the classic one of still inadvertently climbing things during a chase or running away when it's least convenient.

That's disappointing.  I enjoyed the series but by the time I was halfway through Brotherhood I started getting bored of MOTS gameplay.  Sounds like AC3 won't do it for me if it's not significantly different.  The US History stuff is also not that interesting to me.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 05, 2012, 03:10:52 PM »

Quote from: spigot on November 05, 2012, 05:34:37 AM

I spent a couple hours with ACIII on Saturday, and came away with similar impressions.  I spent a ton of time with the first AC game, but have been lukewarm about everything since.  Was hoping the change of scenery would get me interested, but my first impressions were pretty 'meh' on AC III as well.  Even in the early going, there were quite a few WTF moments, such as scaling the balconies of a theater in full view of the audience, yet no one raises an eyebrow.  Thought that was odd.

I also have a hard time with the tiny text they use for all the notifications.  My eyes aren't the best, and I have a hell of a time reading anything when it flashes on screen.

For about 90% of the game I pretty much just played through the main story missions. I had no inclination whatsoever to play through any of the side missions or other grindy superfluous supplementary stuff and other game subsystems. Didn't collect almanac pages, do Peg Leg's missions, did none of the homestead stuff, optional naval battles, courier missions, hunting, assassin's guild, etc. At some point the optional goals just became a joke as well. It didn't matter to me at all getting full synchronization or not.

I'm going to try playing this way as well.  In previous games, I would always get so bogged down in all the other "stuff" that I would lose interest in the main story.  Hoping that keeping a focus just on the plotline this time around will keep things a bit more fresh.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 05, 2012, 03:25:12 PM »

I guess I am in the minority here in that my time with the game so far (just got to the point where Connor does his training) has been nothing short of amazing and I think this is the best AC game yet.  I really enjoy the series as a whole (I can agree with those of you who say you should really stick to the main stuff and not get too bogged down in the side stuff and this comes from someone who did 1000/1000 cheevo points on the first AC, but there weren't as many games to play back then) and I find the way they did the story this time pretty amazing.  In my reading, people have complained about how you start the game off and how long it takes to get control of Connor, but I actually really thought it was a cool setup for reasons I will now spoiler:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I love the idea of investing you in Haytham and letting you grow to like him and then finding out he is a Templar.  It makes you feel like he betrayed you and so now you're motivated just as much as Connor is.

Also, I love the time period this one is set in, having a big fascination with Colonial period of America's history.  I also have an affinity for Native American history and so hearing the language spoken and having a focus on that lifestyle has also been pretty great.  I'm also digging the hunting they put into the game and moving through the trees has been awesome.

Unfortunately, I haven't had a ton of time to put into it yet to get it played as much as I really want to play it, but unless the game betrays its lineage, this will most probably become my favorite Assassin's Creed game.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: November 05, 2012, 08:41:37 PM »

The amazingly poor game design decisions they made in this game just keep on coming. The two biggest ones from a short session today were:

1) A large battle while attempting to assassinate a specific target. Not only are the icons above the enemies' heads so small and similar that you really have to struggle (and take your eyes off the action, leading to your inevitable death) to even tell regular targets apart from the assassination target, but the enemies gang up on you in such a way that they all stand almost directly on top of you, making it hard if not impossible to see where you are and what you're doing, or who's attacking you. Targeting specific enemies at that point is useless. Then there's the sneaking before that battle, asking you to have total control over where the enemies that can spot you are, where you can safely move, and how to even approach the target in the first place. Either you designed this mission and know exactly what to do, or you're just going to have to do it through trial and failure. Move one step, see if it works. If it doesn't, restart from checkpoint and try another step. Repeat until sick of the game. At least you can skip this sneaking, which leads to the horrible fighting mentioned above.

2) A long chase sequence through thin, crowded streets and back alleys. Here's where the game truly fails to recognize its own limitations. In order to run, you have to hold down the run button. The thing is, this button also doubles as the free running/climbing button. In practical terms, they might as well have given you the primary objective "Fail if you touch a wall during this extended chase", because that's what it is. You touch a wall, you fail. There's no coming back from that. Have fun replaying the entire chase, because there are no checkpoints. Then have the game taunt you with an optional objective that requires you not to shove/tackle anyone, and put an unavoidable crowd of people around the first bend. That's just rubbing salt in the wounds. Had to turn off the game after trying this chase five times and doing worse every time. Every single failure happened because I touched a wall, and let me tell you, the paths this chase tells you to run are full of twists and turns and are very narrow.

I can imagine Ubisoft swimming in their money right now and laughing about how playtesting is for chumps.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 05, 2012, 08:50:09 PM »

I have to agree with Tilt on this one, even though I am enjoying the game quite a bit. The optional goals for the most part are ridiculous and sometimes force you to play in a linear way.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: November 05, 2012, 09:01:07 PM »

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the game between the frustrating bits too, but when the frustrations become too large they completely overshadow the good bits when I turn the game off that night. I don't remember the good parts. I remember the bad ones. That's not a good thing.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: November 05, 2012, 09:27:21 PM »

On a brighter note, the game had me chuckling tonight when it put a Wilhelm Scream right in the middle of a dramatic scene. Tongue Once you are aware that these things exist, you'll never miss them again.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: