http://gamingtrend.com
April 01, 2015, 06:15:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Batman: Arkham Knight is rated M  (Read 319 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 24, 2015, 09:38:28 PM »

I find it interesting that movies will do almost anything to not be rated R, but games are (thankfully) moving further into a comfortable space with being rated M.   Does the rating matter to you?  (Not just this game, but others as well?)  I know for me, I'll skip a horror movie that's rated PG-13 more often than not because it's gonna be horror-lite.   

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 09:44:02 PM »

I don't really care one way or the other if it works in the story/world they are creating.  I find that often times developers put in adult content to seem to satisfy some childish urge to be dirty.  If often feels out of place and silly.  However they have made this world of Batman pretty dark so I can see it fitting.

I still wouldn't mind an open world game like this - using Batman even - that was kid friendly.  While Batman's world is getting darker he has a no kill ethic which would seemingly be kid friendly but they put in a lot of other stuff that kills that.  I feel like there are not any good open world games which I can play with the kids.  It seems like a niche that could be met.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 09:48:14 PM »

The LEGO Marvel game is excellent as an open-world game.

The rating doesn't matter to me.  I can handle mature content, but would like it to be handled decently.  Blood, guts, language, nudity, etc.  as long as they're delivered appropriately and not just for shock value, I'm fine with it.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 09:50:00 PM »

I should try more of the Lego games.  We have played and loved Lego City: Undercover on the Wii U but none of the rest.  Still it was a blast.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 09:57:06 PM »

To be honest, Iím surprised the first two Arkham games werenít rated M.  There was some seriously dark and messed up stuff in those games, especially if you collected all the audio logs.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 10:13:58 PM »

Glad Rocksteady will not even consider "dumbing" their story down to get that teen rating. Wish the movie industry did this more often.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 04:17:00 PM »

Video game ratings are irrelevant to me. I couldn't even tell you what half of the games on my shelf are rated. If the gameplay is good and the story is decent I don't care how "mature" or how potty-mouthed the characters are.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 04:26:01 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on February 26, 2015, 04:17:00 PM

Video game ratings are irrelevant to me. I couldn't even tell you what half of the games on my shelf are rated. If the gameplay is good and the story is decent I don't care how "mature" or how potty-mouthed the characters are.

You understand not everyone is the same age as you, right?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 05:06:48 PM »

Yeah, when buying games for myself ratings don't matter at all. 

But it has been a big concern when buying them for my nephew who is now 12.  For example, he's been super interested in Halo for a couple years and has lots of toys and talks about it a lot.  I'd love to get him the remastered games to start from square one, but because it's an M-rated shooter series he hasn't actually gotten to play any of them. 

And I respect that choice of his parents, and I would probably do the same in their position.  Even though I know there are tons of 10-15 year olds who have been playing Call of Duty and whatever for years.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 05:29:02 PM »

My in-laws let the then-7yo play Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed.  And there were no qualms about letting the 4yo watch. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 07:25:55 PM »

Does this mean Poison Ivy will have realistic boobie physics?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 07:39:21 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 26, 2015, 04:26:01 PM

I do, but the question posed in the OP was "Do ratings matter to YOU". With an example about how KD will skip PG-13 horror movies because they aren't horror enough. So in that context, nope doesn't matter to me. My kids are too young to play video games.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 07:41:30 PM by JayDee » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 07:39:52 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on February 26, 2015, 05:29:02 PM

My in-laws let the then-7yo play Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed.  And there were no qualms about letting the 4yo watch. 

Yeah, I mean that's their decision.  A lot of people are not comfortable with kids that age playing M-rated games or seeing R-rated movies.  Developing brains and influence and societal norms and all of that.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 09:13:39 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on February 26, 2015, 07:39:21 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 26, 2015, 04:26:01 PM

I do, but the question posed in the OP was "Do ratings matter to YOU". With an example about how KD will skip PG-13 horror movies because they aren't horror enough. So in that context, nope doesn't matter to me. My kids are too young to play video games.

Fair enough.  It just seemed the conversation had moved beyond the OP.

Quote from: EngineNo9 on February 26, 2015, 07:39:52 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on February 26, 2015, 05:29:02 PM

Yeah, I mean that's their decision.  A lot of people are not comfortable with kids that age playing M-rated games or seeing R-rated movies.  Developing brains and influence and societal norms and all of that.

It's a tough and personal call.  I've got no problem with my 12 year old playing Halo, though only local MP.  No way would I let her venture into the t-bag filled halls of racism and homophobia that is online.  But really, graphically, it's more pew-pew than hyper violent.

OTOH, Call of Duty would never fly. 

Titanfall is the other one she's interested in playing.  As recently as even six months ago, I would have thought the human squishing would be too much for her.  Thinking about it now, she might be okay with it.  Crazy how quickly they can change.

I remember a neighbor kid (who loved talking to me about video games) wanted to know if I thought he could play the first COD: MW.  He was a little disappointed when I said I didn't think it was a good idea.  He was not even 10, though.  Online is one thing, but that was the one with that airport level, and I really have a hard time imagining a kid being ready for that.  I don't think a kid should be ready for that.  Of course, his parents went out and bought him the next one.  It was the WWII one with Keifer Sutherland.  The one where you had to use the flamethrower in the tunnels.  That was also pretty rough.  Knowing the kid, I wouldn't have given it to him, but it really is the parents' call, and you have to respect that.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: