http://gamingtrend.com
March 06, 2015, 02:55:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] [Kickstarter] Darkest Dungeon  (Read 1927 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« on: February 12, 2014, 09:15:33 AM »

This Kickstarter, which launched yesterday and is already fully funded, seems to be getting some traction in the games media, and for good reason.

It's a rogue-like with a very nice artstyle that seems heavily influenced by Mike Mignolia (of Hellboy fame), where the twist isn't that you'll eventually die (you will), but that your party consists of people with individual personalities, quirks and outright insanities that develop and change based on what they're going through. What do you do if one of your characters keeps mumbling about how you're all going to die, bringing the morale of the party down? What do you do when you wake up after sleeping, only to find that your fighter has eaten the entire party's rations during the night because of an irrational fear of hunger? Should you really bring along that character with a phobia against undead when you're raiding a crypt?

From the description on the Kickstarter page:

Uncompromising, unforgiving, and unconventional, we present a fresh take on the dungeon crawler that elevates the importance of sound tactics and a character's mental state over their gear.

You will recruit, train, and lead a team of flawed heroes through twisted forests, forgotten warrens, ruined crypts and beyond. You'll battle not only unimaginable foes, but stress, famine, disease, and the ever-encroaching dark. Uncover strange mysteries, and pit the heroes against an array of fearsome monsters with an innovative strategic turn-based combat system.

You will have to tend to characters’ spirits as much as you do to their Hit Points. But in these grim situations, you'll find opportunities for true heroism!

Darkest Dungeon is not a game where every hero wins the day with shiny armor and a smile. It is a game about hard trade-offs, nearly certain demise, and heroic reversals.

Do you have what it takes to survive in the forgotten corners of the Darkest Dungeon?

Features:

• The Affliction System – heroes' personalities are paramount! Contend with paranoia, abusiveness, fear, irrationality, and a host of gameplay-meaningful quirks
  • Striking hand-drawn gothic crowquill art style
  • Innovative turn-based combat pits you against a host of diabolical monsters
  • Classic CRPG and roguelike features, including meaningful permadeath, procedural dungeons, and incredible replay
  • A distinctive game world featuring over a dozen unique playable character classes such as the Plague Doctor, the Highwayman, and even the Leper!
  • Town meta-game – tend to your heroes wounds, both corporeal and cerebral
  • Loot! Gold, jewels, heirlooms, and mystical trinkets. Not to mention upgradable armor, weapons, and consumable supplies.
  • Things That Once Seen Can Never Be Unseen...

The estimated release date is the beginning of 2015.

I'm in at the Adventurer level. smile
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 10:04:46 AM »

I LOVE the trailer for this game - so damn brilliant. The game itself seems like a great idea and thanks for pointing out the kickstarter! I'll be sure to join in!

A new one
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 07:59:57 PM »

I am IN, but as a humble Wanderer. I did spend $25 for the paper diorama though. That looks pretty cool.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 08:19:26 PM »

In...

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 05:22:55 AM »

In!

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 06:46:54 AM »

I'd be in in a heartbeat, but I'm broke. This game looks fantastic
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 05:35:05 PM »

This looks fantastic, but them having already met their funding goal + my kickstarter general burnout means I'll probably just wait until the full release.  Great concept, though.
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 05:49:44 PM »

I'm a sucker for great art design, Thanks for the heads up.

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 09:08:06 PM »

I signed up too, nice find!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 09:13:22 PM »

After a good first day, progress has since slowed down slightly. Even so, they just unlocked another stretch goal. So far the following goals have been unlocked:

- Additional playable character class: The Houndmaster.
- Brigands! Wandering mini-bosses with special rewards.
- Multiple random boss variants in each dungeon.
- Additional town activities for your hero & new shops.

Next one up in another $20k or so, which will add two more character classes. That'll bring us up to over 15 classes, I believe.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 02:20:21 PM »

Steam Keys are supposed to be sent out on Jan 30th for early testers (which I am)   Looking forward to this

NiM$
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 02:49:05 PM »

Me too. From what I understand, the early access version of the game will contain 10 classes and 3 dungeons, which should be enough to play around with for a while.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 06:22:55 PM »

check your email as Keys are available

NiM$
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 06:56:00 PM »

Keeps us informed on what you think. I'm really looking forward to this one!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 08:43:23 PM »

Crossposted from OO:

Played through the tutorial and two dungeons. This game is difficult! The second dungeon kicked my ass, and I barely managed to keep my tortured heroes alive long enough to flee shamefully, their objectives not completed. At least I got some treasure. Right now I'm having a hard time letting my heroes blow off steam between quests (the buildings in town unlock slowly at first, so you can't really do any stress relief until you've tried the first two quests), so I had to drag my crusader kicking and screaming into the dungeon at first. He became fearful and desperate to avoid any kind of adventuring as a result. Go figure.

Since I kept my "cleric" (don't remember the class name at the moment) in the front rows to bash enemies over their heads, my occultist had to do healing in the last quest I did. That meant cutting up the poor heroes every turn to perform extremely unpredictable healing while giving them the bleed condition. Yeah, nothing comes free here. Your torches run out very quickly, so bring spares. In fact, bring more than the game suggests.

So current status: Two quests attempted, and my heroes are already starting to become fearful and outright insane. My brigand is currently visiting the whorehouse for some "stress relief", my cleric is flagellating herself at the temple, and my crusader is praying to higher powers, probably glancing fearfully over his shoulder all the time. The heroes I'm planning to bring into my next quest are either fresh off the wagon or are begging me to not take them along.

Yup, good feelings all around.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 10:14:59 PM »

This game is good hard.  I got my ass kicked on the first dungeon and had to retreat on the first quest after losing my crusader and everyone else close to death.  Currently my female cleric is abusive and flogging herself in the temple and my Plague Doctor and Highwayman are working off their issues in the Tavern.  I recruited three new heroes, but I need to drag one of my current guys along to make up the difference... Probably the Cleric.   Feel free to watch my stream if you're remotely interested in this game

NiM$
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 12:43:42 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on January 30, 2015, 10:14:59 PM

Feel free to watch my stream if you're remotely interested in this game

You were too busy playing Destiny. (I assume you are Soulchilde on Twitch as well.)
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 03:01:49 AM »

Quote from: Lee on January 31, 2015, 12:43:42 AM

Quote from: Soulchilde on January 30, 2015, 10:14:59 PM

Feel free to watch my stream if you're remotely interested in this game

You were too busy playing Destiny. (I assume you are Soulchilde on Twitch as well.)

I meant on Steam using there new watch feature.  Just finished playing for the evening

NiM$
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2015, 04:22:34 PM »

Awesome stuff... barely made it through the first 'dungeon' and into town. Another game where I'm impressed with the art style and the narration, would be sweet if a transcript of the intro was available somewhere.

-craig

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2015, 08:28:55 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on January 31, 2015, 04:22:34 PM

Awesome stuff... barely made it through the first 'dungeon' and into town. Another game where I'm impressed with the art style and the narration, would be sweet if a transcript of the intro was available somewhere.

I'm not a fan of early access games, but people on various forums are speaking very highly of the current build. This may be one of the first games I'll ever purchase before the official release.

I absolutely love the artistic flair of the game, and the mechanics look solid.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2015, 10:32:52 PM »

cross posted from OO

This game is brutal but in a good way with som rebalancing it will be awesome. I've restarted after messing up my initial game. I think you need to husband your funds and upgrade slowly. Also, failing a dungeon sucks as you lose resources and potentially any loot your might have gained

I like the stress system but it needs to be toned down just a tad

NiM$
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2015, 05:23:30 PM »

Any idea what the option "Extra Bark Time (seconds)" means?  icon_confused

-craig

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2015, 08:26:17 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on February 01, 2015, 05:23:30 PM

If I were to guess, it probably means dialog bubbles stay on the screen for a longer time.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2015, 05:39:57 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 01, 2015, 08:26:17 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on February 01, 2015, 05:23:30 PM

If I were to guess, it probably means dialog bubbles stay on the screen for a longer time.

Sounds reasonable, thanks. I'd searched their forums and couldn't find any mention of it.

-craig

Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2015, 12:37:11 PM »

So after the tweaking patch the game is alot more manageable.  I can do a short dungeon and come out with most of my people reasonably sane and unstressed

Things I've learned.

Don't let the kleptomanic open chest.  They have a tendency to keep the stuff
Pay attention to your group positioning and find the spot they like to be in
Juggling is freaking awesome and can make hard fights much easier.   
Use you camping skills wisely
Carry plenty of torches and don't let the meter get below half

NiM$
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2015, 12:46:53 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on February 02, 2015, 12:37:11 PM

I've only tried camping once, but I was ambushed while doing so and ended up in much worse shape than before I camped. It felt like bad use of pressure mechanics.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2015, 01:48:53 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 02, 2015, 12:46:53 PM

I've only tried camping once, but I was ambushed while doing so and ended up in much worse shape than before I camped. It felt like bad use of pressure mechanics.

You got unlucky.  My experience is that camping results in an ambush only about 20% of the time.  I have noticed some other strange mechanics though.  If your morale is high, right after you click the "Sleep" button, the characters talk about how things are going to be okay.  But if your morale is low, when you click it, there's a last round of everyone getting depressed and a round of morale loss.  I think what I may be seeing is when someone has already been pushed over the edge (e.g., gone paranoid, gone selfish), they get a chance to mess with everyone at camp.  If you've got multiple characters over the line, things get really bad.

Some of the camping skills are awesome though.  Your first priority is getting health back up and morale in line.  But if you've already got that, some of the buffs are terrific, especially because they seem to last until the end of the dungeon (or the next time you camp, although I've never done a Long Adventure requiring two camps).  My personal favorite is the Highwayman's "Clean Guns" which gives +10 accuracy, +20 damage, +5 critical hit, I think that's probably the best of the combat boosts I've seen.  His "Bandit's Sense" (which is the same as the Bounty Hunter's "Tracking") gives "Less likely to be surprised, more likely to surprise" which is pretty handy too.

The Vestal has a "Less likely to be nightime ambushed" which I assume refers to getting ambushed at camp.  But at a cost of 5, it seems crazy expensive for what it does (assuming that's what it does, if it's referring to any ambushing for the rest of the dungeon that would be different).

I'm having a great time with this game.  Steam says I've put in over 20 hours since release :-)
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2015, 02:13:33 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 02, 2015, 12:46:53 PM

The Vestal (Cleric) Has a camping skill that decreases nighttime attacks, but cost 5 points to use

NiM$
Lockdown

Homeworld: Remastered

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2015, 03:43:25 PM »

What other game would allow you as a player to send one of your best heroes into a temple to pray, only to have him come out and tell you he's leaving to pursue a Holy Quest. Bye bye, I had a vision. Good luck. I'm outa here.

You just sit stairing at your screen going "Wait... What?"

That is both insane and awesome at the same time.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 03:46:29 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2015, 03:47:51 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on February 03, 2015, 03:43:25 PM

What other game would allow you as a player to send one of your best heroes into a temple to pray, only to have him come out and tell you he's leaving to pursue a Holy Quest. Bye bye, I had a vision. Good luck. I'm outa here.

You just sit stairing at your screen going "Wait... What?"

That is both insane and awesome at the same time.

This happen to me as well with my highest lvl Crusader....    crybaby

NiM$
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2015, 04:15:47 PM »

I think they'll return from their quests after a few weeks.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2015, 07:21:09 PM »

crossposted from OO

Some tips from one of the Devs posted at Polygon

One that stood out to me was obvious:

On a related note: Torchlight is an extremely important mechanic in the game, and it’s not as simple as it may first seem. The torch starts at 100 percent and then dwindles as you move through the dungeon. The brighter the light, the safer the heroes are and the less stress they take.  As the torch dims, monsters fight harder and heroes take more stress.

But wait! The darker it is, the better the loot drops. Doing "dark runs" can actually be quite profitable. It comes at a risk,
hower

Bolded portion I didn't know or realize

NiM$
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2015, 10:31:25 PM »

Impressed so far. Love the artwork and voiceovers, it really provides a great atmosphere. As everyone else has pointed out, it is hard though. I kept my torchlight up, but by the final fight of the tutorial dungeon all of my guys were maxed on stress. I got surprised on the final fight, which messed up my order, and after that I never got a foothold in the fight and got wiped. Can you not camp in the tutorial? I was looking for an option but didn't see anything.

I shouldn't have bought it, now I want to try again, but I have work to do.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2015, 11:12:41 PM »

Quote from: Lee on February 03, 2015, 10:31:25 PM

Can you not camp in the tutorial? I was looking for an option but didn't see anything.

There are three lengths of quests -- short, medium, and long.  Initially you will only have short quests available.  The quest length is in the quest description along with the quest difficulty.  Short quests do not involve camping.  Medium quests are two "days" long with a camping "night" in the middle.  Long quests are three days long with two camping nights somewhere in the middle.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2015, 01:19:04 AM »

Thanks Ydejin. Beat the tutorial the second try by the skin of my teeth. 3 of the characters are crazy at this point, and I didn't get any healers on the coach, so my vestal is going to have to go back in, crazy or not. I am wondering if it would have better to abandon the quest instead of fulling stressing my character and finishing it. If you abandon, is the quest gone, or can you regroup and give it another try?

There are a lot numbers and stats, but I am still finding it a bit confusing. I don't see where the inflictions actually say what they are doing. I guess that is part of the fun, seeing how they will react. Even when there are descriptions though, the wording isn't always clear. For instance, I still don't know what ACC is exactly, other than having to do with chance to hit.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2015, 04:15:36 AM »

Quote from: Lee on February 04, 2015, 01:19:04 AM

Thanks Ydejin. Beat the tutorial the second try by the skin of my teeth. 3 of the characters are crazy at this point, and I didn't get any healers on the coach, so my vestal is going to have to go back in, crazy or not. I am wondering if it would have better to abandon the quest instead of fulling stressing my character and finishing it. If you abandon, is the quest gone, or can you regroup and give it another try?

There are a lot numbers and stats, but I am still finding it a bit confusing. I don't see where the inflictions actually say what they are doing. I guess that is part of the fun, seeing how they will react. Even when there are descriptions though, the wording isn't always clear. For instance, I still don't know what ACC is exactly, other than having to do with chance to hit.

Retreating from a quest the quest is gone (unless it's one of the boss quests, such as the Necromancer or Hag quests).  However, it doesn't really matter since the non-boss quests are semi-interchangeable.  Apparently there are currently 5 non-specialized quest types.  So unless your quest happened to have a reward trinket listed that you really liked, it's pretty interchangeable with whatever new quests will show up.

One issue with abandoning though is that it does further stress your characters, they get a fairly stiff stress penalty for a failed quest -- I think it's somewhere around 30-40% of their total stress bar.

ACC is accuracy.  I do wish they'd spelled those all out instead of using abbreviations.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2015, 06:03:06 AM »

LOL, thanks again Ydejin.

I watched a YouTuber play the game and he said something about not being familiar with the ACC system. From that moment on I think I associated ACC with armor class or THAC0. That's my excuse at least.
TheEgoWhip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2015, 07:38:23 PM »

Its a fun game.  Pretty hard and I have learned not to get too attached to any one character.  Or at least I am trying to keep a main damage dealer and a healer alive and relatively healthy so they can advance their skills and gear. Its the supporting cast I cant seem to keep alive.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2015, 06:22:51 PM »

Quote from: TheEgoWhip on February 05, 2015, 07:38:23 PM

Its a fun game.  Pretty hard and I have learned not to get too attached to any one character.  Or at least I am trying to keep a main damage dealer and a healer alive and relatively healthy so they can advance their skills and gear. Its the supporting cast I cant seem to keep alive.

I only played about an hour, and got my a$$ handed to me. Surprisingly, some players are complaining that the game is too easy in the later stages.
TheEgoWhip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2015, 08:55:02 PM »

This game can be frustrating sometimes. Finally have my Alpha group up to a respectable level, well geared, good skills, no negative quirks and all in vain.  Long crawl, after 2nd camp, well positioned (I thought) to finish up handily, and my Plague Dr takes 2 big crits in a row, followed by an aoe and he's dead. Gone. No I need to level up a new tertiary skill class to replace him. *sigh*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: