http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 06:27:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PC] MAJOR bug in Oblivion: Shivering Isles!  (Read 1881 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: April 10, 2007, 01:46:02 PM »

If you're playing Oblivion's Expansion Pack, Shivering Isles, you have a timebomb of an issue on your hands. Yeah, it's obviously something that Bethesda will be fixing quickly (and has already been patched for PC users thanks to some quick mod work by the players), but if you're playing the game like mad on the 360, you better stop before you completely break your save game:

More details than you'll ever want to know (no spoilers) over here, including mods that'll fix the bug in the PC version and even attempt to fix your savegame if you've already had the bug.

What exactly happens? Here's a short summary:

The basis of bug is that an internal "space" of identification numbers for objects created in the game (e.g., a dropped arrow, a new creature, etc.) becomes exhausted -- at which point the newly created objects disappear from the game world. (Odd behavior of merchants has also been reported, and additional problems are likely.)

The immediate cause of the exhaustion is scripts for six NPCs in SI which are erroneously using up several identification numbers per frame of gameplay (hence higher FPS systems get hit sooner). The PC patch works by correcting the scripts for these NPCs.

Roughly translated - once the bug hits you, no new creatures, weapons, items, armor, anything, appear in the game world.

And a forum post over on Bethesda's site if you're interested in more reading.

Keep this in mind though - nobody has fully confirmed that this will affect 360 users (although it is assumed it will). It DOES affect PC users though:

It is still uknown whether the game will roll those IDs back to FF or to 00 on the XBOX. Judging by this test, it SHOULD effect XBOX users exactly the same way it does PC players! IE: LOSS OF ITEMS LEFT IN THE GAME WORLD! However, there can be no definate answer until someone hits 80+ hours with SI and reports a loss of items.

In short - if you're running the PC version, get a mod ASAP from the Wiki page up top to fix it. If you're playing the 360 version, you might want to stop playing for a little bit and let Bethesda fix the issue (or at least come out and say that it won't affect 360 users).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 02:09:57 PM »

Yikes! smile
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 02:22:36 PM »

hmm,i have already finished it...the only thing that happened to me was all of my previous downloads restarted,so i had to furnish the wizards tower again or defeat the ghosts in the pirate ship ETC...nothing big,but i did have a lot of gear in my wizards tower basement,and all that was lost

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 02:30:00 PM »

whoa.... I better make sure to grab that mod tonight.  I'm about 5 hours into a new game with SI and with the FPS I'm getting that puts me in range for the bug to possibly start hitting according to the table on the wiki.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 03:38:20 PM »

SWEET.  Good QA there.

gellar
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 08:32:49 PM »

After reading some more about this stuff, it looks like it takes over 80 hours of gameplay, so that doesn't include being in menus etc. from the moment Shivering Ilses is installed that you will encounter the bug. Bethesda says they cannot recreate the problem on the 360... So who knows. Was reading  about this last night though, and I don't mind so much.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 02:10:37 AM »

It's good QA.  The problem is that bug takes forever to replicate, 80 hours as above and it's in general something that isn't apparant at all until the issue strikes.

Blame the programmer to who messed up on that tiny bit of code in a program with over a million lines of code. slywink
Pancheda
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 04:13:33 AM »

Shit.  I just joined this cause i was browsing for some Troubleshooting.

It does seem to happen on the 360.....

But i may have brought it on by Weapon duping till i had like 1000 of several Items.  + i also already Had to start it over twice now cause First time I got to the end of the Main Story, and i got an Autosave When Martian got killed by the 200 foot Demon.

Now its not loading Things Right, Lack of People, Plus one of the Priests Guarding an Obelisks Died while the Obelisks was still open.

Also i am Trapped in the Shivering isles, and The Lord isn't loading so i am Stuck there....

When i was Crown the Duke, i had 5 NPC Running into Wall, so i made a Save Then, and continued to play, so i am only Knocked back by like 3 hours.  Shi-Mo-ucker  Diss Sux uber  Balls

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 03:56:38 PM »

I finally got some free time this week and was hoping this issue would be resolved so I could jump in and play SI.  Damnit.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 08:20:16 PM »

I haven't touched Oblivion since this news came out. Call me overly cautious, but I'd rather not risk all the hours I've put in on my character. icon_frown

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 09:44:24 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on April 26, 2007, 08:20:16 PM

I haven't touched Oblivion since this news came out. Call me overly cautious, but I'd rather not risk all the hours I've put in on my character. icon_frown

Well, all you need to do is keep a save handy before you load in SI. Then, no matter what happens, you'll have a save to back up to.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 10:34:17 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on April 26, 2007, 09:44:24 PM

Well, all you need to do is keep a save handy before you load in SI. Then, no matter what happens, you'll have a save to back up to.

Yeah, but I don't want to get 30 - 50 hours into Shivering Isles and find out I have to do it over if I want a playable world. 

I'm not playing until they fix this issue, and that sucks.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 02:27:13 AM »

Actually, the minute you download SI it affects all of your saves. You'd still have to clean everything off. You could put the save on a memory card and be okay.

I really think it's a little overblown. You have to play the game over 80 hours before you see this. That 80 hours doesn't include being in menus, loading etc. You would have to just start a game and let the character stand there for over 80 hours. I really doubt that anyone here would ever experience the bug ever.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 02:19:50 PM »

Apparently, the patch is coming Monday!

http://www.gametab.com/news/887642/

A little late for me, but I'll take it.

Itsatrap
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 05:56:21 PM »

FYI, there's a beta patch available for the PC.  You 360 folks will need to wait for the official one.

- Alan
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2007, 12:02:49 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on April 27, 2007, 02:27:13 AM

Actually, the minute you download SI it affects all of your saves. You'd still have to clean everything off. You could put the save on a memory card and be okay.

My theory was to make the save and never, ever load it up with SI downloaded/enabled. That way it's a clean save without any chance of having issues.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: