http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 04:31:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/XB1]Respawn's Titanfall  (Read 16040 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #800 on: April 10, 2014, 02:51:26 PM »

It's not that I think everyone needs to love the game, because of course not every game is going to fit every player.  And I'm also not against people talking about their issues with the game in this thread, because that's what impressions threads are all about.

But usually the discussion from people who dislike a game falls off after a few weeks, since those people usually move onto other games.  Then the thread generally turns to a discussion amongst those who are still enjoying and playing the game.

Here, though, it seems like we keep coming back to talking about how people regret their purchase, or how the game isn't for them.  Elsewhere on the internet, people are talking about the new 360 version, weapon combos, map tricks, tips for the regeneration challenges, or impressions on the new matchmaking system.  
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #801 on: April 10, 2014, 03:12:20 PM »

Patch rollout today with the inclusion of private matches being added.  No word on which platform yet

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #802 on: April 10, 2014, 04:30:28 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on April 10, 2014, 03:12:20 PM

Patch rollout today with the inclusion of private matches being added.  No word on which platform yet

More detail here

Glad to see they're tweaking the 40mm Titan weapon.  It's not like the other Titan weapons are bad, but the 40mm is pretty much great at everything with no drawbacks.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #803 on: April 10, 2014, 04:36:20 PM »

Some good changes in there. 👍

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #804 on: April 10, 2014, 04:40:37 PM »

40mm needed the nerf. 

NiM$
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #805 on: April 10, 2014, 05:02:13 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 10, 2014, 12:03:06 PM

So from a GT perspective, is this game a failure?  I don't want to discuss sales numbers whatever they may be.

I've asked every gamer I know who bought this and they are legit done with it less than a month after release.

Thoughts?
My friends and I still play an hour or two on average a night. 

A complaint I've heard is there isn't enough stuff to unlock but I think it's more that you unlock everything relatively fast.  A lot of modern games are built with the treadmill/carrot mindset where you need to play 40+ hours to see all the weapon unlocks and mods.  As such, many modern gamers have been conditioned to consider chasing the reward to be the fun of the game instead of the actual gameplay.  Titanfall has a more old-school approach.  You may not get everything unlocked from the start but you can unlock everything or almost everything in about a casual week of play.  If all you care about is chasing a carrot then the game doesn't offer much for you to do.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #806 on: April 10, 2014, 05:24:04 PM »

The regeneration challenges may give you the carrot you're looking for.  I'm already nearing level 30 on Gen3 and I still have a ways to go on my railgun and satchel charge challenges.  Both are weapons I wouldn't typically choose, so it's been a fun challenge to figure out how to get good at them. 

With the railgun, I thought I liked it better when I unlocked the insta-fire mode, and I did indeed really like that fire mode when I got it.  But it wasn't long before I missed the extra damage potential of the standard mode and now that's my favorite again.

With the satchel charges, since I mostly play Hardpoint it's been fun to learn where the best hiding places for the satchels are near the capture points.  Some capture points have decorative computer terminals with lights that can help mask the flashing light of the satchel, and for many other points the ceiling seems to be a place nobody thinks to look for explosives.

Next generation will require me to focus on the Longbow sniper rifle, which I've only dabbled with thus far.  I've had some good luck putting the ACOG equivalent on it, and I'm looking forward to spending more time with that setup when it comes time for those challenges.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #807 on: April 12, 2014, 01:47:49 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on April 10, 2014, 05:02:13 PM

A complaint I've heard is there isn't enough stuff to unlock but I think it's more that you unlock everything relatively fast.  A lot of modern games are built with the treadmill/carrot mindset where you need to play 40+ hours to see all the weapon unlocks and mods.  As such, many modern gamers have been conditioned to consider chasing the reward to be the fun of the game instead of the actual gameplay.  Titanfall has a more old-school approach.  You may not get everything unlocked from the start but you can unlock everything or almost everything in about a casual week of play.  If all you care about is chasing a carrot then the game doesn't offer much for you to do.

Interesting. Ironically a friend of mine was bemoaning the fact that all we get nowadays are games where you have to play and increase in level to unlock all the weapons instead of getting everything at the start. His argument is that everyone should have a level playing field so that one knows they were beaten by a more skillful player, not one who played longer and had no life and therefore unlocked all the weapons.

I told him that gamers these days play the "lets play for better stuff" game because that's all they know. It never occurred to me that gamers would actually find the "play to unlock" process part of the fun.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #808 on: April 14, 2014, 12:17:33 PM »

Had some time off so tried a bit of Titanfall this weekend.  I didn't have that great a time with it, fun in spots but the matchmaking seems really borked.  I got put into matches with guys who were level 40ish on their 5th or 6th prestige while I was level 3 on my first attempt to play.  This did not end well for me, just too much going on to even get a sense of the game play before I was shot over and over by players who obviously know so much more about what is going on.  I'm not sure I'll go back to it anytime soon, I'd have rather spent my time playing Dark Souls 2 on the 360.

[edit]  Ooops didn't review the thread before posting and so apologies for not being a beacon of light for this game Pug!  I'm sure it is fun for the right players, I'm just a wrong one [/edit]
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 12:22:01 PM by Zinfan » Logged
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #809 on: April 14, 2014, 12:54:13 PM »

Quote from: raydude on April 12, 2014, 01:47:49 AM

It never occurred to me that gamers would actually find the "play to unlock" process part of the fun.
If a game is fun I’ll enjoy it either way but I do admit that unlocks have an addictive quality to them.  I remember when TF2 first introduced the alt weapons for classes that required completing specific achievements to unlock.  When that was the only way to unlock the weapons I had a blast chasing the rewards, but as soon as they added alternate ways to acquire them, I lost interest and stopped playing soon after.

Similarly, in the game Chivalry, which is a game I love, I played all classes extensively just so I could unlock every weapon in the game.  It was fun and rewarding to see my progress tick up.  Once everything was unlocked, however, I switched almost exclusively to playing as a Javelin thrower because I didn’t care for most of the other classes.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 12:58:34 PM by Lordnine » Logged
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #810 on: April 14, 2014, 01:16:17 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on April 14, 2014, 12:17:33 PM

Had some time off so tried a bit of Titanfall this weekend.  I didn't have that great a time with it, fun in spots but the matchmaking seems really borked.  I got put into matches with guys who were level 40ish on their 5th or 6th prestige while I was level 3 on my first attempt to play.  This did not end well for me, just too much going on to even get a sense of the game play before I was shot over and over by players who obviously know so much more about what is going on.  I'm not sure I'll go back to it anytime soon, I'd have rather spent my time playing Dark Souls 2 on the 360.

[edit]  Ooops didn't review the thread before posting and so apologies for not being a beacon of light for this game Pug!  I'm sure it is fun for the right players, I'm just a wrong one [/edit]

I have no problem with your post.  My gripe would be if you continued to spend the next month reminding us of how much you didn't enjoy the game this one time you tried it.  I agree it's ridiculous to put you up against prestige 5/6 players when there are still an abundance of other newbie players you could have been matched up with.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #811 on: April 16, 2014, 08:19:36 PM »

I'm thinking of selling my Xbox One.

If I do, can I buy Titanfall for the 360 and keep my account, stats, season pass, etc?

Curious if I could do this for BF4 as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #812 on: April 16, 2014, 11:13:34 PM »

I've been playing the 360 version of it and having a blast. Sure, I stink, but half the fun for me is seeing improvement. Keep in mind I am not a mp person at all, but I have been taken by the Titanfall bug.

I am terrible but I am getting better and having fun each time I play.

Your mom says hi.

Harkonis

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #813 on: April 16, 2014, 11:48:26 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on April 16, 2014, 08:19:36 PM

If I do, can I buy Titanfall for the 360 and keep my account, stats, season pass, etc?

pretty sure the answer is no. 

For BF4 you could do a one time transfer of stats/progress from 360 to one but only that direction.  For COD it's the same account so you could bounce back and forth no problem.  For Titanfall it doesn't even use the same account servers so almost certain it's a no.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #814 on: April 17, 2014, 04:45:26 PM »

seems premature
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #815 on: April 17, 2014, 05:10:38 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 17, 2014, 04:45:26 PM

seems premature

There's a premature bone joke in here somewhere but I'm not clever enough to come up with it today.  crybaby

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Hetz

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #816 on: April 17, 2014, 07:05:52 PM »

For Titanfall, no I don't think you can. For BF4, yes I believe you can, I was able to go from the PS3 to the PS4 with no issues.

As for the larger issue of selling the XB1, well I got rid of mine as I just was not impressed with the UI or the content that was available.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #817 on: April 17, 2014, 08:13:32 PM »

seems premature

Yeah, I don't really understand why anyone sells consoles so quickly, really.  Since you are clearly interested in multiplatform titles you'll inevitably want to buy on again in a few months or a year or something when the next "must have" game hits for you.  Then you really didn't make you any better in the long run because of the loss on selling it.  Just keep it around, it's not like it's costing you anything sitting there.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
ATB

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #818 on: April 17, 2014, 09:30:03 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on April 17, 2014, 05:10:38 PM

seems premature

There's a premature bone joke in here somewhere but I'm not clever enough to come up with it today.  crybaby

When one goes premature, one may experience (trouser) titanfall?
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #819 on: April 22, 2014, 05:19:02 PM »

37.00 at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=pe_837390_117377080_pe_gb_email_explore
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #820 on: May 06, 2014, 09:26:25 PM »

No sales numbers in the EA earnings today?
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #821 on: May 12, 2014, 08:05:49 PM »

Expedition DLC trailer

NiM$
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #822 on: May 13, 2014, 12:53:06 PM »

There was also a new update released but none of the changes look particularly noteworthy to me. 

Looking forward to the DLC, though.  Jumping from tree to tree on the Endor map looks like a lot of fun.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #823 on: May 13, 2014, 01:39:21 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 13, 2014, 12:53:06 PM

There was also a new update released but none of the changes look particularly noteworthy to me.  

Looking forward to the DLC, though.  Jumping from tree to tree on the Endor map looks like a lot of fun.

Only issue I have with this patch is getting a loss for leaving a match before it's done.  I've been dropped into a Hard Point match when one team is clearly dominating and I have no desire to play through that

Dropping a Titan on a Evacuation ship being nerfed is sad too. 

NiM$
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #824 on: May 13, 2014, 01:54:01 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on May 13, 2014, 01:39:21 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on May 13, 2014, 12:53:06 PM

Looking forward to the DLC, though.  Jumping from tree to tree on the Endor map looks like a lot of fun.

Only issue I have with this patch is getting a loss for leaving a match before it's done.  I've been dropped into a Hard Point match when one team is clearly dominating and I have no desire to play through that

Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of uproar about that.  I guess they're making the change to combat people leaving a losing match at the last second do avoid the L stat.  At the very least, you'd think they could make the system more lenient for when you join mid-match.

I was really hoping to see some changes to the regen challenges.  I haven't booted up the game in a while, but I'm still on the Titan laser challenge and it's already taken far too long to complete. 
lextyler
Gaming Trend Staff
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #825 on: May 13, 2014, 08:07:35 PM »

Still waiting for some new game modes to be implemented, although I am super excited for the Expedition DLC. Wish there were more people on servers though, especially for CTF.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #826 on: May 13, 2014, 08:09:31 PM »

Quote from: lextyler on May 13, 2014, 08:07:35 PM

Wish there were more people on servers though, especially for CTF.

What platform are you on?
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #827 on: May 13, 2014, 11:16:20 PM »

Quote from: lextyler on May 13, 2014, 08:07:35 PM

Still waiting for some new game modes to be implemented, although I am super excited for the Expedition DLC. Wish there were more people on servers though, especially for CTF.

Hast the player base dried up that badly?
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #828 on: May 14, 2014, 04:13:07 AM »

I donít think CTF is very popular.  Iíve tried that mode a few times and it just seems tedious.  Attrition and Hardpoint are the only two modes that get much of my time.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #829 on: May 14, 2014, 04:43:02 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on May 14, 2014, 04:13:07 AM

I donít think CTF is very popular.  Iíve tried that mode a few times and it just seems tedious.  Attrition and Hardpoint are the only two modes that get much of my time.

I think you're right about it not being popular, but I enjoy it a lot.  There's something very cool about stomping over in a titan, hopping out with it on guard mode, grabbing the flag and titaning out again.  Riding on someone else's titan with the flag is also cool.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
lextyler
Gaming Trend Staff
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #830 on: May 15, 2014, 05:46:51 AM »

There's something very cool about stomping over in a titan, hopping out with it on guard mode, grabbing the flag and titaning out again.  Riding on someone else's titan with the flag is also cool.

This. I love the CTF mode, just saying matchmaking can be a little sketch. I actually tend to gravitate toward CTF in just about every shooter, wish devs would spend more time coming up with original objective-based modes instead of having to rely on that one though.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #831 on: May 15, 2014, 12:17:49 PM »

BTW, I figured I should also put my post about TF in the Xbone thread in here.

I don't usually last long in MP games.  In part, because the pack usually pulls away from me, since I only play casually.  In part, because I don't like their convoluted upgrade systems and alternate styles of play (I have yet to play a full level of Extinction, by the way. I tried last night, and the two other players bailed before the first batch of creatures finished.  I think I did something wrong).  In part, because I just find them tedious after a while (getting shot after a step or two will do that). 

I hear people talk about their miserable K/D ratio.  If I kill 3 guys in one life, I'm overjoyed.  Hell, if I can pull out a 1:1, it's a good day.  I'm lucky to get to level 15 in most of these games.

I am currently at Level 40 in Titanfall.  I could even see myself reaching that 50 cap (which is unheard of), but I think it may be getting raised in the DLC that comes tomorrow.  I am usually in the top half at the end of a round (I'm happy if I'm second to last in CoD) and have found myself in the number 2 slot more than once. 

I don't know what it is, but this game works for me.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #832 on: May 16, 2014, 04:15:19 PM »

Hey, why did I think there was a level cap lift on this DLC.  Frankly, it doesn't even make sense, given regenning.  I admit, I only recently found out what those little badges so many people have were all about.  Part of me wishes I'd known, but part of me thinks that would be a cool surprise.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #833 on: May 16, 2014, 04:50:11 PM »

I was going to say something but didnít want to make you feel bad.  icon_smile

Iím currently trying to get Regen 5 but the auto pistol requirement is nearly impossible for me.  I already donít like the automatic weapons in the game and the pistol is basically a worse version of the SMG.  This is the first challenge that has given me any problems.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #834 on: May 17, 2014, 12:58:56 AM »

Guess the PC population really is getting bad -- they're getting rid of CTF and Pilot Hunter playlists (though you can still use custom games to play them.

In better news, they just release a companion app for iStuff, Android, and Windows doohickeys. I haven't gotten it yet, but I guess it has game world backstory to read, and if you're on XB1, the ability to view your stats and a live game map. Supposedly the map in the companion app can provide info you can't see in-game. Not sure how I feel about that.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #835 on: June 23, 2014, 12:49:22 AM »

I took advantage of the Titanfall free for 48hrs thing Origin is doing. Finished both campaigns over the last two days. And strangely I found I was pretty fantastic at this game. After playing the COD: Hardline beta where I just sucked I figured I was done with multiplayer FPS but something is clicking with this one - I had my best game where I killed 18 pilots and 2 titans with a single death. Everything just went right in it. Will probably cave in and buy the deluxe version which is on sale.

It is a bit of a pain to find matches. Both Saturday/Sunday there were a few times I was sitting around for five or six minutes waiting for a campaign match to start. I did notice after awhile it connected to Xbox live and brought in players from there. Thankfully once you got a group of people playing in the campaign they stuck with it for several matches. So hardly any waiting between matches - just the initial time.

Also even though I finished the campaign I have 0 clue of what was going on story wise. Lots of yelling and no time to look at the little videos that were playing in the HUD.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #836 on: June 23, 2014, 04:38:05 AM »

You will have better luck finding matches if you play normal multiplayer instead of the campaign mode.  Most people stop playing campaign as soon as they unlock all the Titans.

The gameplay is the same, just with pregame briefings removed.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #837 on: June 23, 2014, 01:27:13 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on June 23, 2014, 12:49:22 AM

I took advantage of the Titanfall free for 48hrs thing Origin is doing. Finished both campaigns over the last two days. And strangely I found I was pretty fantastic at this game. After playing the COD: Hardline beta where I just sucked I figured I was done with multiplayer FPS but something is clicking with this one - I had my best game where I killed 18 pilots and 2 titans with a single death. Everything just went right in it. Will probably cave in and buy the deluxe version which is on sale.

It is a bit of a pain to find matches. Both Saturday/Sunday there were a few times I was sitting around for five or six minutes waiting for a campaign match to start. I did notice after awhile it connected to Xbox live and brought in players from there. Thankfully once you got a group of people playing in the campaign they stuck with it for several matches. So hardly any waiting between matches - just the initial time.

Also even though I finished the campaign I have 0 clue of what was going on story wise. Lots of yelling and no time to look at the little videos that were playing in the HUD.

Apart from there being people playing the campaign when I was, your experience is very similar to mine.  Somehow this game clicks with me.  I'm no expert, of course, but I rarely come in last in a match, and I have finished in first place a few times (something that's unheard of in other MP FPS games).  I think the AI Grunt and Spectres help with the perception that you're better than you might actually be, but that doesn't explain the scores.  Maybe those kills are inspiring enough, somehow.

As I mentioned earlier, the level cap is something I never accomplish in these games.  I'm at level 47 or 48, currently.  Of course, others have flipped past 50 multiple times, but that's not how I play.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #838 on: June 25, 2014, 02:48:39 AM »

Well I caved in and bought the Deluxe version. Been having quite a bit of fun with the game. And you do get to play quicker when you do the non-campaign multiplayer.

Also played a hardpoint game against a clan of L50 players. Wow, they decimated us. I think we had a single hardpoint at the beginning of the game claimed and that was that. Any time you got close to a hardpoint area you would be dead in a few second. When I took one player out another was right behind taking me out. Once they got their Titans up it was even worse. You couldn't travel the map without fear of getting stomped on or shot at. It was a total bloodbath on our side. Never seen anyone play like that.

Thankfully they either left or the game had mercy on us and got a new group of players which made for a much more even battle.

Played a few modes I hadn't before including the Last Pilot/Titan standing. Sucked at both of those. I'm not good in my Titan for some reason and was pretty useless in the Last Titan standing.

Still the games a lot of fun. Just know to bug out when I start seeing a bunch of players with the same tag in their name.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #839 on: June 26, 2014, 11:38:33 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on June 25, 2014, 02:48:39 AM

Still the games a lot of fun. Just know to bug out when I start seeing a bunch of players with the same tag in their name.

icon_lol

This is pretty much a rule in any MP game.  icon_razz  Unless you're with the GT crew and ready to hand out a dose of whip ass topped humble pie.  icon_wink
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: