http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 03:43:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/XB1]Respawn's Titanfall  (Read 19653 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #720 on: March 19, 2014, 02:47:59 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 19, 2014, 01:34:10 PM

If I post less in this thread, it's because it's a lot more fun to talk about this game on other forums where there's a more positive ratio of people who love the game to people who think it's the biggest flop ever.  

Where are you seeing this in this thread?
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #721 on: March 19, 2014, 03:02:01 PM »

Well, I love the game and tend to play solo (where the heck is everyone?) Anyway, I just hit 35 and typically I would lost interest around lvl 10-15 in COD and that's saying something for me.   I can see myself hitting 50 in this game cause it's so easy.  I might prestige once just so I can say I did it

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #722 on: March 19, 2014, 03:21:02 PM »

Is prestiging in this game like COD? It resets all your weapons and stuff?

Any new wrinkles there?
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: March 19, 2014, 03:22:39 PM »

Quote from: ATB on March 19, 2014, 03:21:02 PM

Any new wrinkles there?

Yes, reset everything, but you gain experience faster once you prestige and I think there are some different weapon challenges

NiM$
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: March 19, 2014, 03:52:09 PM »

TitanFall is fun in its own right.  But I don't' think it has any legs to stand on when it comes to long term.  I keep thinking they had all this time to develop this game, took out single player so all they had to do focus on was the multiplayer and they offer less than their competitors.

The weapons don't excite me at all.  There's not enough upgrades.  I agree with Hark about the gamertags.  I'm tired of seeing dicks.  However I'd love to see more customization with the mechs and the pilots.

Overall, at it's core the game is fun, but at the same time I feel a little cheated considering the narrow scope of their game design.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: March 19, 2014, 04:14:11 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on March 19, 2014, 03:22:39 PM

Quote from: ATB on March 19, 2014, 03:21:02 PM

Any new wrinkles there?

Yes, reset everything, but you gain experience faster once you prestige and I think there are some different weapon challenges

I think the biggest difference (other than the increased XP gain) is that TF's prestige system has required challenges for each prestige level in addition to hitting the max level.  The first time you flip, you just need to be level 50, but the next time you also have to max out the shotgun pilot challenges and the 40mm Titan challenges.  

Most of them seem pretty doable, and it does a good job encouraging (forcing?) you to try the different weapons, but I'm a little intimidated by some of the later ones.  Kill 50 pilots while they are ejecting?!

Quote from: Soulchilde on March 19, 2014, 03:02:01 PM

Well, I love the game and tend to play solo (where the heck is everyone?)
What time do you usually play?  I feel like I play later than everyone most nights now that I've moved 2 time zones west since the last time I played multiplayer with you guys.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 04:16:03 PM by wonderpug » Logged
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: March 19, 2014, 04:52:28 PM »

Pug I normally play between 5-7 pm east coast.   Normally for a 30min to an hour.  Btw, I think its awesome you see measurable gain even if you suck at times like I do.  I don't feel stuck at certain levels

NiM$
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 19, 2014, 04:55:28 PM »

http://1drv.ms/Ox5Oja

Check the last bit of that pug, pretty sure those count even though I hit the eject
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 19, 2014, 04:56:07 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on March 19, 2014, 04:52:28 PM

Pug I normally play between 5-7 pm east coast.   Normally for a 30min to an hour.  Btw, I think its awesome you see measurable gain even if you suck at times like I do.  I don't feel stuck at certain levels

Soul plays, but he doesn't answer or accept invites when doing it slywink  Tried the last two nights.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #729 on: March 19, 2014, 05:14:02 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 19, 2014, 04:56:07 PM

Soul plays, but he doesn't answer or accept invites when doing it slywink  Tried the last two nights.

Oh shit... I got two invites, but they were weird..  Something to the effect " We found a game for your party.  Hit accept "  Didn't give me the normal Hark invited you

In my defense both times I was stopping to play attend to other stuff. 

my bad, Hark

NiM$
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 19, 2014, 05:32:46 PM »

Quote from: naednek on March 19, 2014, 03:52:09 PM

Overall, at it's core the game is fun, but at the same time I feel a little cheated considering the narrow scope of their game design.

I haven't played anything but the beta, but keep in mind that this is the first try at this.  Took COD 4 times to get it just right and in my opinion it took Gears 3 tries (though 1 was really fun).

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 19, 2014, 07:17:59 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on March 19, 2014, 05:14:02 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on March 19, 2014, 04:56:07 PM

Oh shit... I got two invites, but they were weird..  Something to the effect " We found a game for your party.  Hit accept "  Didn't give me the normal Hark invited you

In my defense both times I was stopping to play attend to other stuff. 

my bad, Hark

that's because I was IN your party, I joined you then got ignored. slywink  pfft, back to dark souls
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 19, 2014, 10:23:49 PM »

Quote from: ATB on March 19, 2014, 05:32:46 PM

Quote from: naednek on March 19, 2014, 03:52:09 PM

I haven't played anything but the beta, but keep in mind that this is the first try at this.  Took COD 4 times to get it just right and in my opinion it took Gears 3 tries (though 1 was really fun).

Wait a second - are you saying that you like Gears? We're gonna need to see some proof of that  eek icon_lol

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #733 on: March 20, 2014, 12:56:51 AM »

So I gave this a generous effort for a few hours today and I'm coming around a bit.

Yes I still suck and I have no idea how others are getting off the shots they do, but I'm improving. Actually got 9 pilot kills in a game once.

However, I'm honestly doing something terribly wrong with my titan. When I set him to guard or follow, he does decent on his own. However, when I control him I'm destroyed in practically seconds. Seems as soon as I take control someone is on top of me and before I can eject and shoot them off, my titan dies.

Any tips to controlling your titan?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 20, 2014, 01:08:29 AM »

I treat Titans like I treated tanks in the old M1 Abrams Battle Tank game for the Sega Genesis (which was cited by Respawn was one of their inspirations, which I thought was awesome).

Just like tank combat games, if you go head to head, you're going to get destroyed. If you expose your flanks, you're going to get destroyed. It's all about using cover. Darting in and out to take potshots at the enemy then retreating back to your cover. Knowing when to back off. If your shields go down, you're screwed. You have to know when to retreat, shield back up, then re-enter the fray.

I think the mistake lies in thinking that Titans, by their look (and by the conditioning we've received from other mech games), are these big unstoppable beasts. They're not. You have to play them as you're almost as vulnerable as a pilot, and use many of the same tactics you'd use while in pilot mode.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #735 on: March 20, 2014, 02:32:44 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on March 20, 2014, 01:08:29 AM

I treat Titans like I treated tanks in the old M1 Abrams Battle Tank game for the Sega Genesis (which was cited by Respawn was one of their inspirations, which I thought was awesome).

Just like tank combat games, if you go head to head, you're going to get destroyed. If you expose your flanks, you're going to get destroyed. It's all about using cover. Darting in and out to take potshots at the enemy then retreating back to your cover. Knowing when to back off. If your shields go down, you're screwed. You have to know when to retreat, shield back up, then re-enter the fray.

I think the mistake lies in thinking that Titans, by their look (and by the conditioning we've received from other mech games), are these big unstoppable beasts. They're not. You have to play them as you're almost as vulnerable as a pilot, and use many of the same tactics you'd use while in pilot mode.

This is all very true.  Also keep in mind all titans have the same shield value, only the health varies.  The stryder moves much faster and has more dashing and faster recharge on dashing.  Once you start to evade and recover shields, the stryder becomes the far better of the three imo. 
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: March 20, 2014, 03:11:29 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 20, 2014, 02:32:44 AM

Quote from: YellowKing on March 20, 2014, 01:08:29 AM

This is all very true.  Also keep in mind all titans have the same shield value, only the health varies.  The stryder moves much faster and has more dashing and faster recharge on dashing.  Once you start to evade and recover shields, the stryder becomes the far better of the three imo. 

I was truly awful with Titans until I started using the Stryder. It's been a night and day difference with it.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: March 20, 2014, 03:22:43 AM »

As for enemy pilots rodeoing on your Titan, while more people are catching on I'd still say electric smoke is effective 90% of the time.  If you pop the smoke when you hear the rodeo alarm, you'll probably still lose a chunk of armor but still be in pretty good shape.  If you listen for the first sound of a rodeo (like a person stomping on sheet metal) and pop the smoke then, you can kill the pilot before taking hardly any damage at all.

It's tough to give up the fun shields to use the slot for electric smoke, but for me almost any time I get a rodeo on me I'm in the middle of fighting something else.  I love the smoke because it lets me continue what I'm doing, almost always works, and has good utility uses in other situations (bravely run away away).

Another thing to try is to not be a solo Titan.  Buddy system.  Don't even call it in if your Titan will be the only one on your team.  Being near a 2nd Titan means you're not the only one with a giant target on his back, and of course you'll have all that extra damage output.

I'd also agree with Hark that the Stryder is pretty awesome.  Have you been using the Ogre, Xmann?  It's easy to be drawn to that one since it seems like you'll surely be tougher to destroy, but his limited dashing means that you're very likely to have your shields fall in a battle.  Shields falling is really really bad, and not just because you start taking permanent armor damage.  When your shields are gone, many weapons start doing a lot of extra damage if they hit glowing red weakpoints on your Titan.

If you have been using the Ogre, I'd say at least try switching to the Atlas if you're intimidated by the frailty of the Stryder.  Use your two (or three) dashes to get behind cover any time your shields get low or you have to reload.  If you can help it, don't rejoin the fight until your shields are at full again.

What Titan weapon have you been using?
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #738 on: March 20, 2014, 03:58:24 AM »

I'm on the Stryder bandwagon, but I'm very competent with the Orge. It fits my playstyle perfectly and I can take on two Atlas's or Stryders and still come out on top.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #739 on: March 20, 2014, 04:29:47 AM »

using the smoke requires staying still, staying still should not be done in the stryder  ninja

When I use smoke on the stryder, it's dashing in, smoking them and running away.  doesn't help against rodeo, but it does destroy enemy titans fast (even in their dome apparently)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 04:34:32 AM by Harkonis » Logged
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #740 on: March 20, 2014, 11:26:49 AM »

I'm very competent in a Orge and I usually come out on top in one v. one fights unless my opponent has room to maneuver.  Never chase a Stryder or Atlas into open ground  in a Orge unless you have a partner,  Orge are best in confine areas

The Orge shield core ability has saved my ass many times

NiM$
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #741 on: March 20, 2014, 12:21:21 PM »

I use the Ogre only in Last Titan Standing, and only due to the Shield Core. I try to hang back and let other Titans take the heat until my Shield Core is up (or use a burn card to instant it), then charge in and lay waste.

For almost everything else I use the Stryder just because its evasive abilities are amazing. Due to its shield strength, I really haven't found it to be that much vulnerable than anything else. Occasionally I will use the Atlas just to give myself a little compromise between health and agility, but it's rare.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: March 20, 2014, 03:39:42 PM »

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/03/20/rumor-titanfall-2-rights-secured-by-ea-wont-be-microsoft-excl/

Come home to playstation baby!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #743 on: March 20, 2014, 04:58:08 PM »

This comment on that story made me laff:

Xbox Fans: I can't wait to play Titanfall [insert typical hype comment]

PS Fans: It's not all that great jeez. [insert typical insult comment]

Respawn/EA: Titanfall 2 will be multiplatform

PS: I can't wait to play Titanfall 2 on my PS4.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #744 on: March 20, 2014, 05:10:30 PM »

Quote from: ATB on March 20, 2014, 04:58:08 PM

This comment on that story made me laff:

Xbox Fans: I can't wait to play Titanfall [insert typical hype comment]

PS Fans: It's not all that great jeez. [insert typical insult comment]

Respawn/EA: Titanfall 2 will be multiplatform

PS: I can't wait to play Titanfall 2 on my PS4.

Hahaha awesome. And accurate.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #745 on: March 20, 2014, 05:15:37 PM »

If there's some future where Titanfall 2 is on PS4 and can work with their VR goggles, I may just poop out a magical rainbow of happiness.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #746 on: March 20, 2014, 06:10:40 PM »

I'll still buy it on XB1, unless the graphical difference is amazing. I trust MS's network/server infrastructure way more than Sony's.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: March 20, 2014, 06:13:34 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on March 20, 2014, 06:10:40 PM

I'll still buy it on XB1, unless the graphical difference is amazing. I trust MS's network/server infrastructure way more than Sony's.

If MS hadn't gotten exclusivity for TF1, wouldn't the PS4 version still have been played on the same Azure servers?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #748 on: March 20, 2014, 06:17:37 PM »

until these last two weeks of delayed PSN updates, I'd have said that Sony was rock-solid since the crash of '11.  even being different parts of the system, it dredges up bad memories of those months.  that being said, they've actually been pretty solid in the MP server realm and I've never had issues playing MP games on the PS4.

and yeah, I look forward to Titanfall 2, although more for the evolution of the series.  if they give me a full co-op campaign using those VR goggles, I'll be next to Pug pooping rainbows of happiness as that would be the closest we'll get to a Heavy Gear/Mechwarrior sequel in years.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #749 on: March 20, 2014, 06:18:45 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 20, 2014, 06:13:34 PM

If MS hadn't gotten exclusivity for TF1, wouldn't the PS4 version still have been played on the same Azure servers?

Far as I know there's no reason they can't use Azure for PS4 or Wii games but I doubt they'll get the type of discount they are getting with being an Xbox/PC exclusive.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 06:21:37 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: March 20, 2014, 06:19:22 PM »

Quote from: Caine on March 20, 2014, 06:17:37 PM

until these last two weeks of delayed PSN updates, I'd have said that Sony was rock-solid since the crash of '11.  even being different parts of the system, it dredges up bad memories of those months.  that being said, they've actually been pretty solid in the MP server realm and I've never had issues playing MP games on the PS4.

and yeah, I look forward to Titanfall 2, although more for the evolution of the series.  if they give me a full co-op campaign using those VR goggles, I'll be next to Pug pooping rainbows of happiness as that would be the closest we'll get to a Heavy Gear/Mechwarrior sequel in years.

I've had a great experience playing MP in BF4 on the PS4 and I never really did with any game on the PS3.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 20, 2014, 06:52:29 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on March 20, 2014, 06:18:45 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on March 20, 2014, 06:13:34 PM

Far as I know there's no reason they can't use Azure for PS4 or Wii games but I doubt they'll get the type of discount they are getting with being an Xbox/PC exclusive.

Correct - I don't think the Azure business unit would turn down the business. And if they do, there's always AWS down the street.

But I actually still think I'd go X1 over PS4 for Titanfall 2 solely because I prefer the X1 controller/headset for FPS to the PS4 one. I actually think Sony's interface is now better than the X1 for parties et al because the X1 fucked that shit up so badly.

Of course if the PS4 has graphical superiority for the next version, there's no amount of controller/headset love that would keep me on the X1. Pretty always wins.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: March 20, 2014, 11:31:38 PM »

I wonder if Titanfall 2 will come to the PS4? Titanfall is practically the sole reason for the Xbone having sold any units. I wonder if Microsoft will give a blank check for it in order to get complete exclusivity? I'm guessing Respawn isn't a publicly traded company so they can't go hostile take over route but they could offer the guys in charge an insane amount of money.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 20, 2014, 11:37:39 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on March 20, 2014, 11:31:38 PM

I wonder if Titanfall 2 will come to the PS4? Titanfall is practically the sole reason for the Xbone having sold any units. I wonder if Microsoft will give a blank check for it in order to get complete exclusivity? I'm guessing Respawn isn't a publicly traded company so they can't go hostile take over route but they could offer the guys in charge an insane amount of money.

I think that's a mischaracterization.  Xbox was going to sell a reasonable amount of units just based on brand loyalty and online history (friends, gamerscore, etc)
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 20, 2014, 11:42:28 PM »

Uh. Check a few pages up.... Roll Eyes Tongue
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: March 21, 2014, 02:13:45 AM »

At this point, it would take a major miracle to have Titanfall 2 as an Xbox exclusive. If MS was willing to spend the insane amount that EA would demand for it and take a major loss, then they would be better served cutting the price of the Xb1 to less than the PS4. That would sell way more units of the system than Titanfall 2 exclusivity ever would.

As the article linked above stated though....it's not going to be exclusive anyway.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: March 21, 2014, 01:14:59 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 21, 2014, 02:13:45 AM

At this point, it would take a major miracle to have Titanfall 2 as an Xbox exclusive. If MS was willing to spend the insane amount that EA would demand for it and take a major loss, then they would be better served cutting the price of the Xb1 to less than the PS4. That would sell way more units of the system than Titanfall 2 exclusivity ever would.

As the article linked above stated though....it's not going to be exclusive anyway.

I don't know, at this point Titanfall is all but defining Xbox One.  Unless they have some staggering exclusives lined up that they are completely confident will be able to replace TF, it may be extremely valuable to Microsoft to pay through the nose.  "When you think of Titanfall, you think of Xbox One" may be enough.

Unfortunately, they have to have some game that defines them going forward.  They can't just rely on the past.  The next Halo will sell consoles, too, but it won't be a defining title the way this one is.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: March 21, 2014, 02:22:44 PM »

I don't know, at this point Titanfall is all but defining Xbox One.  Unless they have some staggering exclusives lined up that they are completely confident will be able to replace TF, it may be extremely valuable to Microsoft to pay through the nose.  "When you think of Titanfall, you think of Xbox One" may be enough.

They've got plenty of exclusives that can replace TF. Halo 5, Gears of War 4 - those two alone will have Xbox fans lining up in droves.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: March 21, 2014, 02:36:56 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on March 21, 2014, 02:22:44 PM

They've got plenty of exclusives that can replace TF. Halo 5, Gears of War 4 - those two alone will have Xbox fans lining up in droves.

This is a good point, imo.  I thought they would blank check TF to keep it exclusive, but now I think they just needed some filler before their staple franchises started rolling out.  Isn't Halo 5 coming out either this holiday or next?
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: March 21, 2014, 02:46:38 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 21, 2014, 02:36:56 PM

Quote from: YellowKing on March 21, 2014, 02:22:44 PM

This is a good point, imo.  I thought they would blank check TF to keep it exclusive, but now I think they just needed some filler before their staple franchises started rolling out.  Isn't Halo 5 coming out either this holiday or next?

It would cost them to much money to blank check it.   Possibly do what Sony does with Ubisoft and pay for exclusive content for the XB1 

NiM$
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: