http://gamingtrend.com
November 01, 2014, 11:18:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/XB1]Respawn's Titanfall  (Read 18551 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: March 13, 2014, 09:14:50 PM »

Are we still talking about Titanfall?
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: March 13, 2014, 11:21:33 PM »

Quote from: ATB on March 13, 2014, 09:14:50 PM

Are we still talking about Titanfall?

I think we've moved into the pr0n thread: Tittyballs!
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: March 14, 2014, 12:17:22 AM »

It's like people can't say "balls of death" without someone having to be juven------heh heh heh heh heh....he said "balls."  Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh!

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: March 14, 2014, 12:39:28 AM »

Harkonis enjoys using his balls that explode on proximity, not on impact.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #644 on: March 14, 2014, 02:18:07 AM »

And now...with my review too.  smile

http://gamingtrend.com/reviews/delivering-in-a-big-way-we-review-titanfall/

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: March 14, 2014, 02:42:20 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on March 14, 2014, 12:39:28 AM

Harkonis enjoys using his balls that explode on proximity, not on impact.

When they touch his balls they explode.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: March 14, 2014, 11:21:43 AM »

Titan Tactics:

If your team has two or more Titans on the field stick together. 
Don't block your team mate shot
If an enemy is rodeoing you yell out for help and stop moving.  Allows your teammates to shoot them off

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: March 14, 2014, 12:27:50 PM »

Had a great time playing with msduncan last night. Fortunately he never whipped out his balls.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: March 14, 2014, 04:50:18 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on March 14, 2014, 02:18:07 AM

This ain't helping me in my determination not to buy this game. Cracks are beginning to appear....
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: March 14, 2014, 06:35:29 PM »

Has anyone able to get this game to work from a suspended state? Even if I back all the way out to the game menu, then turn my console off, when I turn it back on, I can't ever get back into a match without the game seizing up. I can bring it back up, change loadouts, etc., but when I try to enter a match for the first time, it hangs. Every time I start the console up, I have to use the menu button to quit the game, which is annoying because then you have to sit through the intro movies.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: March 14, 2014, 06:50:20 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 14, 2014, 06:35:29 PM

Has anyone able to get this game to work from a suspended state? Even if I back all the way out to the game menu, then turn my console off, when I turn it back on, I can't ever get back into a match without the game seizing up. I can bring it back up, change loadouts, etc., but when I try to enter a match for the first time, it hangs. Every time I start the console up, I have to use the menu button to quit the game, which is annoying because then you have to sit through the intro movies.

How do I know if I'm playing the game from a suspended state?  If I can turn my Xbox on with "Xbox, on!" ?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: March 14, 2014, 07:00:11 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 14, 2014, 06:50:20 PM

Quote from: Teggy on March 14, 2014, 06:35:29 PM

How do I know if I'm playing the game from a suspended state?  If I can turn my Xbox on with "Xbox, on!" ?

Yes, and if you don't see the EA/Respawn title stuff when you start the game.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: March 14, 2014, 09:47:43 PM »

Decided to break down and try something outside my gaming comfort zone.  Downloading now...we'll see how this goes.   paranoid

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: March 15, 2014, 01:57:36 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 14, 2014, 09:47:43 PM

Decided to break down and try something outside my gaming comfort zone.  Downloading now...we'll see how this goes.   paranoid

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: March 15, 2014, 03:25:28 AM »

Wow, I'm really...not good.  Played through the first three campaign missions and came in dead last in each one.  My matches typically ended up as a recurring cycle of:  spawn, run around for 30 seconds shooting grunts, hear 2-3 shots from a PC, dead (usually before I could even see what shot me), re-spawn.  frown  Going to keep playing and give it an honest try though...I really want to like it.  Unfortunately, after the third mission, I just kept getting a "Connection to server failed" error for about 10 minutes, so I think I'll go fire up Thief for a while instead.

How do I find GT'ers to play with?  Assuming you'd be willing to play with a n00b, that is.  I'm skinypupy on Origin...not sure if we have an Origin handle list around here or not.  Tried to import my friends list from XBL (no idea if it's cross-platform or not), and just kept getting server errors.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 03:31:54 AM by Gratch » Logged

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: March 15, 2014, 03:51:14 AM »

Be sure to watch the kill cam when you die.  Seeing the way your opponent saw you can often make it really clear what you could have done better.

I'll also add that you don't need awesome aiming speed and reflexes to do well in these kinds of games, even though it can seem that way.  I totally don't have the high sensitivity twitch aiming and insta-reflexes a lot of the young'uns have, but I do well because I'm tricksy.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 04:15:00 AM by wonderpug » Logged
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: March 15, 2014, 11:34:34 AM »

Situational awareness is everything in these games, much more important than twitch skills.  Learn the maps and pay attention to minimap and surroundings and you'll do fine
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: March 15, 2014, 01:36:25 PM »

I've got a few tips after putting in a marathon (for me) session last night and doing quite well:

- Learn to wall run, wall hang, and climb. A lot of people still aren't totally adept at these or don't use them, and they can help you get the edge on opponents. Last night I had one instance where I got up on a roof and took out 5 or 6 players before anyone ever spotted me. Particularly in some of the bigger maps, people forget to look up.

- If you're playing Hardpoint, you can get 75 points every few seconds just by sitting in a hardpoint. It's easy XP, and you're helping your team defend captured points (something few people actually do).

- Kill/death is not everything in this game. I can't tell you how many matches last night I was in that I was top scorer, even though I had low kill counts. Learn what nets points for each game type - you don't have to have the best K/D to come in first and make mad XP.

- Electric smoke is not just good for getting pilots off you. That crap is NASTY up close in melee. If I'm ever in a one-on-one with a Titan that has more health than me and I think I'm going down, I'll charge him swinging and pop smoke. A lot of the time I end up surviving.

- Don't neglect the heavy turrets on some maps. They only take a few seconds to hack, but they can be a complete nuisance to enemy pilots and Titans.

- If you're not very good at going toe to toe with people, try skirting the edges of the map and coming up on enemies from behind. A lot of people just charge straight through the middle. I use this tactic quite often with Titans, because people tend not to watch their rear when they're in those. Plus their backs are really vulnerable when the hatch gets blown off.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: March 15, 2014, 01:47:26 PM »

Is there a way to play against fellow low-level folks?  I just jumped into the campaign last night (figured that's as good a place as any to start) and when I got to the end of my last match, I noticed that I was the lowest level player by at least 15 levels.  I was 4, everyone else was at least 19.  Or do you just have to endure being target practice (me, doubly so) through the low levels until you gain some XP?

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: March 15, 2014, 02:17:29 PM »

Unfortunately, because the campaign is where nearly all new players go to learn the ropes and unlock their titans, it's already turned into a hunting pen where high level players go to farm newbies for stats and XP.  Your best option now is to lie back and think of England until your profile has accrued enough trickle-down points to mount a credible resistance. 

-Autistic Angel
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: March 15, 2014, 02:25:38 PM »

I'm surprised just how well I'm doing with this game, given my basically years-long hiatus from playing the genre. I went on a gaming binge the other night, and for a good stretch of time, was 1st or 2nd on my team (winning or losing) probably half the time. I'll echo what some other folks on the thread have said - I think there's an element of unlearning things about this one for anyone who's totally stuck in COD mode. I lose plenty at the twitch-type encounters (shotguns at close quarters), but between cloak, mobility (seriously, use wall-hang and wall-run), learning how to rodeo properly, and some other things, I still rack up plenty of points.

Some things:
Not sure what weapons everyone's using on the Titan - I'm a big fan of the arc gun so far. It's a little unwieldy but when you get a bunch of AI squadded together, or just hanging around a titan, it's easy to knock them all out with one shot. That plus the cluster bombs seems to be a very effective 'area denial' Titan that I can rack up a lot of points with in Hardpoint, and would probably do quite nicely in Attrition as well.
I really like having the third-grenade kit - most people expect you to have two so if you pace right you can really catch people rushing into the third blast unaware. Keep in mind you can resupply by climbing into your Titan and hopping out, as well.
Nobody expects a satchel charge at the hardpoints for some reason. Again, if you have your Titan up, it's easy to leave a few at the point, blast 'em when it starts to get captured, resupply, rinse and repeat.
The Double XP burn card is best used defending a safe hardpoint, in my opinion - I tend to knock down maybe one pilot per life which would be 100 XP, but defending a hardpoint can give you 75 points over... and over... and over... boosting that to 150 can get you a level pretty quick.
Remember you can rodeo a friendly Titan. I like riding one when it starts moving, and as soon as it spots another Titan, jumping to the nearest building to quickly have a ton of elevation and come down on the enemy Titan easily. It will be distracted with the firefight so it's pretty easy to doom them.
Remember that you can hack enemy Spectres. Having a squad around can buy you a few seconds that you need to escape and locate where trouble is.
There's very little downside to retreating as a Titan. If you find yourself losing stand-and-pound battles, remember that you have dash! I like to dash in close, pop smoke or a rocket salvo, hit them with a punch, and then back off while firing my main weapon. If you can get back around a corner, a surprising number of people will just round it to chase you and walk right into another punch in the face.
I really prefer not to execute AI from behind - the animation takes too long and I find myself getting shot by pilots. I'd rather move to the side and kick them, or else just mow them down. Also remember your sidearm, switching is pretty quick and you have plenty of damage you can dish with a handgun.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #661 on: March 15, 2014, 03:08:51 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 15, 2014, 01:47:26 PM

Is there a way to play against fellow low-level folks?  I just jumped into the campaign last night (figured that's as good a place as any to start) and when I got to the end of my last match, I noticed that I was the lowest level player by at least 15 levels.  I was 4, everyone else was at least 19.  Or do you just have to endure being target practice (me, doubly so) through the low levels until you gain some XP?
If you are playing in attrition mode don’t worry about being the lowest ranked person on the team.  Just do your best to avoid enemy pilots and go hunting for the enemy NPCS.  Killing a bunch of them is actually more valuable for your team than going only for pilots.  Playing to avoid is a valuable skill to learn so this is good practice anyway.  In this game more than any other FPS, if you stop moving you are dead.

Also, some people have already flipped their rank over and started again (after rank 50 you go back to 1 with a fancy icon).
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: March 15, 2014, 03:51:43 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 15, 2014, 03:25:28 AM

Wow, I'm really...not good.  Played through the first three campaign missions and came in dead last in each one.  My matches typically ended up as a recurring cycle of:  spawn, run around for 30 seconds shooting grunts, hear 2-3 shots from a PC, dead (usually before I could even see what shot me), re-spawn.  frown  Going to keep playing and give it an honest try though...I really want to like it.  Unfortunately, after the third mission, I just kept getting a "Connection to server failed" error for about 10 minutes, so I think I'll go fire up Thief for a while instead.

How do I find GT'ers to play with?  Assuming you'd be willing to play with a n00b, that is.  I'm skinypupy on Origin...not sure if we have an Origin handle list around here or not.  Tried to import my friends list from XBL (no idea if it's cross-platform or not), and just kept getting server errors.

Sent ya a friend request!  I am HetzOO on Origin.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: March 15, 2014, 05:54:01 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on March 15, 2014, 03:08:51 PM

Quote from: Gratch on March 15, 2014, 01:47:26 PM

If you are playing in attrition mode don’t worry about being the lowest ranked person on the team.  Just do your best to avoid enemy pilots and go hunting for the enemy NPCS.  Killing a bunch of them is actually more valuable for your team than going only for pilots.  Playing to avoid is a valuable skill to learn so this is good practice anyway.  In this game more than any other FPS, if you stop moving you are dead.

Also, some people have already flipped their rank over and started again (after rank 50 you go back to 1 with a fancy icon).

I started the campaign at level 1 last night and saw that next lowest rank was 3. The other team had a few that were 20+. Our team still won. In the second game I was still the lowest rank person and ended up first in points. Oh, and our side won. Playing with your team - or picking someone and being his "shadow" helps both of you survive and gain points.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: March 15, 2014, 05:56:53 PM »

Question for the PC version:

How does one select the preferred loadout for pilot and titan? In the campaign matches I played last night I am frantically clicking on "Assassin" and "Tank" loadouts before the match starts yet I always spawn with the carbine instead of smart pistol and Atlas instead of the other one.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: March 15, 2014, 06:13:20 PM »

I truly believe level differences are far less important in this game than any other multiplayer shooter. The variety of weapons, mods, and tier kits is honestly not that great - which puts most people on a relatively even playing field.

And hell, I'm level 30 and I suck! You level quick enough in this game that I don't automatically look at someone who is 5 levels higher and assume he's better than me.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #666 on: March 15, 2014, 06:21:38 PM »

Quote from: raydude on March 15, 2014, 05:56:53 PM

Question for the PC version:

How does one select the preferred loadout for pilot and titan? In the campaign matches I played last night I am frantically clicking on "Assassin" and "Tank" loadouts before the match starts yet I always spawn with the carbine instead of smart pistol and Atlas instead of the other one.
Hit esc at the start of the round.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: March 16, 2014, 12:18:00 AM »

After spending a couple hours with Titanfall, I've come back around to the notion that no matter how polished they are, MP shooters simply aren't my thing.  Everything is far too hectic, and I can't even begin to wrap my brain around what the hell is going on.  All I know is that if I meet up against another player, I'll be dead within 5 seconds.  With enough practice, I'm sure I could probably gain enough skill to improve on my current "get killed within 10-15 seconds after spawning" situation, but I'm not sure I really enjoy the core gameplay enough to actually put in that time...especially with other games that are much more my slow-and-steady pace waiting in the wings (i.e. Thief).

I'm going to try and play to at least the 8 hour mark (it's the same time commitment I give to RPG's), but I can't really see myself warming up to it a whole lot.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: March 16, 2014, 01:39:59 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 16, 2014, 12:18:00 AM

After spending a couple hours with Titanfall, I've come back around to the notion that no matter how polished they are, MP shooters simply aren't my thing.  Everything is far too hectic, and I can't even begin to wrap my brain around what the hell is going on.  All I know is that if I meet up against another player, I'll be dead within 5 seconds.  With enough practice, I'm sure I could probably gain enough skill to improve on my current "get killed within 10-15 seconds after spawning" situation, but I'm not sure I really enjoy the core gameplay enough to actually put in that time...especially with other games that are much more my slow-and-steady pace waiting in the wings (i.e. Thief).

I'm going to try and play to at least the 8 hour mark (it's the same time commitment I give to RPG's), but I can't really see myself warming up to it a whole lot.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

Domination maps are good for playing defensively - which also slows down the pace of the game (for the person playing defense). I've found that, once you control a point, friendly AI will come by and help guard it. On defense I go into a corner somewhere and use the AI defenders as audio "tripwire". As soon as I hear them firing I know an enemy is nearby, so I hit "cloak" and check it out. Or even better, wait until the hardpoint location is being captured then hit "cloak" and head out. The cloak is good enough that it can buy you the few seconds you need to kill the person capping the point. Go back to hiding spot and repeat. Plus you get points for guarding the location.  I actually finished first in points that way by holding a location for most of the game.

USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: March 16, 2014, 01:40:01 AM »

Sorry you're having a hard time with the game Gratch.

Still having a blast with the game, already lvl 35 on my first prestige. Since I'm planning to prestige all the way to the end, I just focus only on a few weapons and builds for my pilots and titans during each prestige level.

Semper Fidelis

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #670 on: March 16, 2014, 01:53:11 AM »

Yeah, I really wanted to like this game but so far it's just not appealing to me a whole lot.  Maybe it's because I've been playing the Campaign matches so far and those have almost all been very imbalanced, but it just feels like respawn and die over and over to the point where I'm just forcing myself to play one more match.

I also notice that I often can't really tell how I'm doing in most matches.  There are times I think I'm doing poorly and I end up at the top of my team, and other times I think I'm doing really well and on the bottom of my team, seemingly incongruously.

I'm not really sure how much more time to give this to see if I can come around.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: March 16, 2014, 02:51:09 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on March 16, 2014, 01:40:01 AM

Sorry you're having a hard time with the game Gratch.

Still having a blast with the game, already lvl 35 on my first prestige. Since I'm planning to prestige all the way to the end, I just focus only on a few weapons and builds for my pilots and titans during each prestige level.

Just to be sure, are you working on your required prestige challenges on the way to 50 this time?  I've been using the shotgun exclusively to get those challenges out of the way, but as a nice surprise I'm finding I really like it.  I mostly play Hardpoint though when you guys aren't online, and the extra indoor fighting you have with that mode is well suited to shotgunnery.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: March 16, 2014, 03:02:55 AM »

I typically don't like shotguns in these games but it's really strong here and I find I prefer it too.  I may switch to the other smg when I finally unlock that though.
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: March 16, 2014, 04:22:26 AM »

Yeah I'm almost done with the shotty and 40mm challenges.

Semper Fidelis

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: March 16, 2014, 11:49:21 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 16, 2014, 12:18:00 AM

Have you tried playing with Hetz yet?  I've always found multiplayer games are a lot more fun with friends on your side.

-Autistic Angel
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #675 on: March 16, 2014, 06:41:34 PM »

I'm having some buyers remorse for sure.

I purposely didn't play the beta because I wanted it to be "fresh and new to me".

So far I'm up to level 37 with what I feel is minimal playing time. Part of my issue is I think you can level too quickly.

I'm also an average to mediocre fps player. But I'm just bored with the seemingly repetitive gameplay. I thought hardpoint would be a blast for me, but I find it still alot of chaotic running and gunning.

Like gratch, I'm getting killed so fast that half the time I don't see it coming or by whom. Things are moving way too fast for me that most of the time I'm lost.

Regardless of the game mode, I just find myself running around like crazy and jumping on enemy Titans to rodeo them. Rinse and repeat.

I'm glad others are having a good time, I find it very repetitive and boring already at level 37.

I love BF4 and have had little to no issues with it like others. I'll be going back to that and look forward to the expansion next week. That's more my pace.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: March 16, 2014, 06:45:29 PM »

At level 35, I too am starting to burn out on it.  This is around the same point I burn out on CoD too.  I'm going to try and hit 50 at least in this one though, but no way Im gonna prestige/regen.
Hetz

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #677 on: March 16, 2014, 06:53:36 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on March 16, 2014, 06:41:34 PM

I'm having some buyers remorse for sure.

I purposely didn't play the beta because I wanted it to be "fresh and new to me".

So far I'm up to level 37 with what I feel is minimal playing time. Part of my issue is I think you can level too quickly.

I'm also an average to mediocre fps player. But I'm just bored with the seemingly repetitive gameplay. I thought hardpoint would be a blast for me, but I find it still alot of chaotic running and gunning.

Like gratch, I'm getting killed so fast that half the time I don't see it coming or by whom. Things are moving way too fast for me that most of the time I'm lost.

Regardless of the game mode, I just find myself running around like crazy and jumping on enemy Titans to rodeo them. Rinse and repeat.

I'm glad others are having a good time, I find it very repetitive and boring already at level 37.

I love BF4 and have had little to no issues with it like others. I'll be going back to that and look forward to the expansion next week. That's more my pace.

Yeah, I am having the same thoughts on it. Is it fun? Yes, but it's just not grabbing me the way COD or Battlefield did in the past. I'll probably shelve it soon anyway, for inFamous.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #678 on: March 16, 2014, 08:57:21 PM »

I'm looking forward to the BF4 expansion next week.

I was thinking after posting earlier.... The one thing that is boring for me are the maps. There just isn't enough variety, everything looks the same.

Don't know if anyone else has that feeling.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 16, 2014, 09:48:48 PM »

I'm with Gratch on this one. I'm relatively good at FPS, and the chain of quick deaths from seemingly nowhere is getting fatiguing. There is precious little time to enjoy the environments or the mechanics.

They should build in an "attrition" server, where everyone gets 5x-10x the health, so that players actually have time to react to incoming fire, instead of constantly running around like a jackrabbit on crack cocaine in an effort to avoid getting hit.

The more Casual FPS players will get turned off from Titanfall very quickly.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: