http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 08:52:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/XB1]Respawn's Titanfall  (Read 16786 times)
YellowKing
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: March 11, 2014, 11:31:55 PM »

For those who are n00bs, I understand not wanting to be a punching bag. But the only way to improve is to play regularly with people better than you. The only surefire way to stay a n00b is to be scared to play. I don't think there's any better game or time to jump into a franchise. CoD and BF are filled with veterans who have played those games for years. At least with Titanfall, everyone is on a relatively level playing field. And you can always play it safe and run around killing AI grunts.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 11, 2014, 11:33:21 PM »

turn on minion detector, grab gun, profit slywink  You can help your team even if you never kill another player
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 11, 2014, 11:41:03 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 11, 2014, 11:33:21 PM

turn on minion detector, grab gun, profit slywink  You can help your team even if you never kill another player

My last match early this afternoon, all I did was have a smart gun and killed over 50 grunts and specters. Ended up just killing two pilots but was still the MVP in attrition mode.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 11, 2014, 11:44:20 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on March 11, 2014, 11:41:03 PM

My last match early this afternoon, all I did was have a smart gun and killed over 50 grunts and specters. Ended up just killing two pilots but was still the MVP in attrition mode.

As an alternative, play hardpoint and take enhanced parkour. Go to the point nearest your base, hop up on a good wall and watch the points roll in (+75, +75, +75...) Kill unsuspecting enemies who walk in. Get the active sonar and you can even see them coming.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 11, 2014, 11:45:12 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on March 11, 2014, 11:31:55 PM

For those who are n00bs, I understand not wanting to be a punching bag. But the only way to improve is to play regularly with people better than you. The only surefire way to stay a n00b is to be scared to play. I don't think there's any better game or time to jump into a franchise. CoD and BF are filled with veterans who have played those games for years. At least with Titanfall, everyone is on a relatively level playing field. And you can always play it safe and run around killing AI grunts.

Totally agree. I was once a truly, truly awful COD player and now I am actually slightly above average. I only got that way by playing.

Now there isn't a title I miss. They're pretty fun.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 11, 2014, 11:50:41 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 11, 2014, 11:44:20 PM

Quote from: USMC Kato on March 11, 2014, 11:41:03 PM

As an alternative, play hardpoint and take enhanced parkour. Go to the point nearest your base, hop up on a good wall and watch the points roll in (+75, +75, +75...) Kill unsuspecting enemies who walk in. Get the active sonar and you can even see them coming.

I love doing this with the SMG since it fires well from the hip
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: March 12, 2014, 12:37:01 AM »

Point taken, but "scared to play" and "not finding a game fun because you get killed every 2.3 seconds" are not quite the same thing.  Especially for those of us with limited FPS experience to begin with.

That being said, I don't have any idea how Titanfall actually plays, I'm just going off my previous MP shooter experience...maybe this one is entirely different.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: March 12, 2014, 12:46:34 AM »

I think the point is that if you stop playing because it's no fun to die so fast, you will never get to the point where you don't die that fast.  It's a hump of unfun that you have to get past, just like anything in life you aren't good at. (except sex, that tends to be fun even if you aren't good at it, or so I hear slywink )
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: March 12, 2014, 01:19:51 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 12, 2014, 12:37:01 AM

Point taken, but "scared to play" and "not finding a game fun because you get killed every 2.3 seconds" are not quite the same thing.  Especially for those of us with limited FPS experience to begin with.

That being said, I don't have any idea how Titanfall actually plays, I'm just going off my previous MP shooter experience...maybe this one is entirely different.

In shooters like Call of Duty, if you're a beginner, or there's a skill mismatch on the teams, or you're just having an off day, it is very possible to spawn, move a bit, and then get killed before you accomplish anything.  You may not even see an enemy.  Other people are calling in AC-130 planes or attack dogs or dogs with bees in their mouth and when they bark they shoot bees out of their mouth.  You don't get to do any of that cool stuff.

What did CoD do to help with this?  The support killstreak concept let you unlock goodies even if you died, and the supply crates meant that you could (occasionally) get to try the higher level killstreak fun.  But if you weren't playing well you still wouldn't get the kills to see much of that.  Deathstreaks?  Great, so if you die a bunch you get an over-the-top boost that lets you maybe get one kill.  Then you die, and are right back to dying a lot and not accomplishing anything.

But in Titanfall, even if you're a complete beginner (but not as bad as ritt) you are almost guaranteed to be able to accomplish something every single time you spawn.  If you kill some Spectres or even just grunts, you are getting points for yourself and for your team, and you're making your Titan come faster.  The parkour stuff is extremely easy to learn and is just plain fun, and the high mobility in the game means that getting sniped from someone you could never have possibly seen is a rare to impossible event.

Best of all, unlike an elusive AC-130 you will be able to call in your Titan.  Multiple times.  And have fun.  And it's durable enough that you will very likely be able to kill an actual enemy player, or be able to get some damage in on an enemy Titan.

Then there are the burn cards, which will let you use a souped-up weapon every now and then, or cheat and be cloaked constantly, or get your Titan earlier than everyone else, or really cheat (once in a while) and have a total map hack view of everyone.  And with Oprahvian generosity, you get a burn card!  And you get a burn card!  And you!

And amazingly, Titanfall is able to let a beginner player have all that stuff without making experienced higher-skill players feel like their experience is cheapened.  There's still an incentive to play well, despite there being so much fun stuff to do when you play poorly.
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: March 12, 2014, 01:25:14 AM »

+1 to what the Pug preaches. This game truly seems to fall into the "easy to learn hard to master" category.

Semper Fidelis

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: March 12, 2014, 01:39:02 AM »

Eh I think i'm just not into multiplayer shooters much anymore.  Played two matches and topped the scoreboard once but I really wasn't all that engaged with the game.  In fact I'm taking a break and thinking of pulling my 360 out of storage and running to gamestop for a copy of Dark Souls II which I feel would be more my style.

Don't get me wrong, Titanfall seems like a great game and I'm sure to continue playing more when my crazy work hours cease here soon.  Dark Souls seems a better fit for me right now though.
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: March 12, 2014, 01:46:25 AM »

Could just be a little gaming fatigue Otterchaos. Sometimes I'm in the mood for just an RTS, or a slow paced RPG.

Semper Fidelis

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 12, 2014, 01:56:03 AM »

It's a good thing I assumed this shit wouldn't work tonight or else I'd be mighty pissed off. I was hoping to hop on for a quick session but nope.

That's some good work, boys.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: March 12, 2014, 02:13:13 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on March 12, 2014, 01:46:25 AM

Could just be a little gaming fatigue Otterchaos. Sometimes I'm in the mood for just an RTS, or a slow paced RPG.

Quite probably, I don't get much good sleep these days as I'm working 1830 to 0630 six days a week so patience is pretty low and FPS's take some of that.  I managed to grab the last copy of Dark Souls II for the 360 at the local WallyMart so I am going to dig into that for a bit.  I'm sure to try Titanfall again later tonight.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: March 12, 2014, 02:18:17 AM »

Quote from: gellar on March 12, 2014, 01:56:03 AM

It's a good thing I assumed this shit wouldn't work tonight or else I'd be mighty pissed off. I was hoping to hop on for a quick session but nope.

That's some good work, boys.

feels like they spent so much energy ensuring the backend game servers stayed up they neglected the authentication servers.  That or they are being DDOS'd
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: March 12, 2014, 02:58:51 AM »

I wasn't a big fan of the Titan quad-missile launcher in beta, but I heard the single fire mode was awesome on it so I took the time to unlock it.  The single fire mode is awesome.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: March 12, 2014, 03:05:00 AM »

Didn't have any problems hopping on tonight, though my friend five minutes from me couldn't get logged in all night. Weird.

At any rate, played through the entire Militia campaign. Honestly, I could do without it. I was expecting a bit more story and scripted stuff, but instead you basically just get little 30 second cutscenes before each match. Most of which are Attrition, which is my LEAST favorite game type. I'll play through IFC just to unlock the last Titan, but I'd have been fine if they had ditched Campaign altogether.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: March 12, 2014, 04:23:37 AM »

Was able to get on shortly after bitching about it here. A lot of fun. The campaign mode is a total unnecessary tack on though.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: March 12, 2014, 11:08:43 AM »

Quote from: Zinfan on March 12, 2014, 02:13:13 AM

Quite probably, I don't get much good sleep these days as I'm working 1830 to 0630 six days a week so patience is pretty low and FPS's take some of that.  I managed to grab the last copy of Dark Souls II for the 360 at the local WallyMart so I am going to dig into that for a bit.  I'm sure to try Titanfall again later tonight.

Holy shit, Otter= Zinfan   LOL

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: March 12, 2014, 11:10:30 AM »

Quote from: gellar on March 12, 2014, 04:23:37 AM

Was able to get on shortly after bitching about it here. A lot of fun. The campaign mode is a total unnecessary tack on though.

Agreed, only reason to play is to unlock the Stryder and Orge

Edit - Almost done with the IMC campaign and I just hit lvl 11.   Game is fun as expected and will only be  better when we all start partying up.  Campaigns were being farmed yesterday be lvl 20-30 teams... Was a bit disheartening but once I'm done with that mode I'm done

Broadcast some of my game yesterday, but didn't get any viewers.  Btw, I thought broadcast were to be archived but I can seem to find them t on twitch

edit 2 - found to option to archive in the profile. It's  off by default and iyour broadcast are not saved forever
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 11:18:52 AM by Soulchilde » Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: March 12, 2014, 12:35:37 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on March 12, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Quote from: Zinfan on March 12, 2014, 02:13:13 AM

Holy shit, Otter= Zinfan   LOL

ninja
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: March 12, 2014, 04:09:04 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on March 12, 2014, 11:10:30 AM

Quote from: gellar on March 12, 2014, 04:23:37 AM

Agreed, only reason to play is to unlock the Stryder and Orge

Edit - Almost done with the IMC campaign and I just hit lvl 11.   Game is fun as expected and will only be  better when we all start partying up.  Campaigns were being farmed yesterday be lvl 20-30 teams... Was a bit disheartening but once I'm done with that mode I'm done

Broadcast some of my game yesterday, but didn't get any viewers.  Btw, I thought broadcast were to be archived but I can seem to find them t on twitch

edit 2 - found to option to archive in the profile. It's  off by default and iyour broadcast are not saved forever

I think you gotta sub to Twitch to get your broadcasts archived.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: March 12, 2014, 04:33:54 PM »

Arg, time to sift through hours of footage and find the bits.  Though to be honest it's almost all a highlight reel when we play  ninja

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: March 12, 2014, 04:37:55 PM »

Got my first "crush a Titan by calling in your own Titan" kill, and of course had my Kinect disconnected so I couldn't give the command to record it.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: March 12, 2014, 05:47:01 PM »

What's the best way to play with you guys?  I looked last night and saw some of you on  my Friends list and playing, but couldn't really tell if you were playing together or not.  I remember gellar was one of them.  I didn't see Hark or Kato on at the time.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: March 12, 2014, 06:01:30 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 12, 2014, 05:47:01 PM

What's the best way to play with you guys?  I looked last night and saw some of you on  my Friends list and playing, but couldn't really tell if you were playing together or not.  I remember gellar was one of them.  I didn't see Hark or Kato on at the time.
Select someone who's playing Titanfall, then choose "join party and game"
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #626 on: March 12, 2014, 06:11:11 PM »

maybe it's for the best (my health specifically) that I missed a glitched promo which had the TF/XB1 bundle on sale for $400 on of all places, MS' store. 

I'd never have lived long enough to get past the noob stage. biggrin

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: March 13, 2014, 01:14:35 PM »

Did anybody order this from the Microsoft Store for the $10 store credit? I still haven't seen any emails or codes or anything on how to redeem the credit.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #628 on: March 13, 2014, 03:58:16 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on March 13, 2014, 01:14:35 PM

Did anybody order this from the Microsoft Store for the $10 store credit? I still haven't seen any emails or codes or anything on how to redeem the credit.

When I've done that in the past I think I got an email a few weeks later with a code to redeem.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: March 13, 2014, 04:05:34 PM »

Thanks for playing with me last night, guys.  I'm not that great (always came in last on the team), but it's more fun to play with others that aren't randoms.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: March 13, 2014, 05:28:05 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 13, 2014, 04:05:34 PM

Thanks for playing with me last night, guys.  I'm not that great (always came in last on the team), but it's more fun to play with others that aren't randoms.

ANd like many of us have said before, GTers don't really care how well you play. It's about the camaraderie.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: March 13, 2014, 05:31:46 PM »

I'm in love with the Stryder with the perk for faster dash recharge.  It's almost like having the unlimited dash core ability constantly running.  The fantastic ability to use hit & run tactics means that any time an enemy Titan finds a way to see me I've got a full load of ammo ready to unleash.  "Where'd he go?" alpha strike!, "Where'd he go?" alpha strike! and repeat

Quote from: The Grue on March 13, 2014, 04:05:34 PM

Good to have you!  
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: March 13, 2014, 06:29:41 PM »

I'm all about the brute force of Ogre and my balls of death, Triple Threat with extended mag. Are you trying to hide in that building? I'm rolling my balls under the door. Are you trying to hide upstairs? I'm throwing my balls through the window. You can't hide from my balls. Eat my balls.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: March 13, 2014, 06:30:53 PM »

I picked up the XB1 Titanfall bundle yesterday and download the game last night. Hopefully, I'll be able to get some play time in tonight Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: March 13, 2014, 06:32:48 PM »

Hey Teggy-

Not sure if you meant it, but the way you typed your last post, one might get the mistaken impression that you are talking about your testicles.

LOL if unintentional.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: March 13, 2014, 06:44:21 PM »

Quote from: ATB on March 13, 2014, 06:32:48 PM

Hey Teggy-

Not sure if you meant it, but the way you typed your last post, one might get the mistaken impression that you are talking about your testicles.

LOL if unintentional.

What? You have a very dirty mind.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 13, 2014, 07:47:03 PM »

Teggy... Please tell us more about your balls. Rittchard and me want to hear more.  nod icon_razz
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: March 13, 2014, 08:07:03 PM »

Standby for Titanballs!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: March 13, 2014, 08:12:16 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on March 13, 2014, 07:47:03 PM

Teggy... Please tell us more about your balls. Rittchard and me want to hear more.  nod icon_razz

I tried Teggy's big balls for a few rounds and I just can't handle them.  I mean, they're definitely powerful and it's great how you can jam them into small crevices to blow anyone inside, but when I get into fights against Titans I find with Teggy's big balls you just can't shoot your load far enough. 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: March 13, 2014, 08:53:43 PM »

No one can handle my balls. They are for me and me alone. Except when they explode, then they are for everyone!

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: