http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 06:58:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/XB1]Respawn's Titanfall  (Read 18485 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #560 on: March 11, 2014, 03:00:54 AM »

I find it funny that people won't buy Titanfally because it's multiplayer-only.  I can understand the preference for playing a single player game (I'm usually in that camp), but saying that a multiplayer game doesn't have enough meat without single player is silly.  I find it easy to play a multiplayer game like Battlefield many, many times longer than I can put up with their mediocre single player.

I remember buying the first Starsiege: Tribes 15 years ago as my first multiplayer-only game and that felt risky, but these days I'm surprised more games don't do it. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 11, 2014, 03:01:24 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 11, 2014, 02:32:13 AM

Quote from: PR_GMR on March 10, 2014, 08:10:53 PM

Quote from: YellowKing on March 10, 2014, 08:08:20 PM

I hate the concept that every single player game needs to have multiplayer and that every multiplayer game needs to have single player. If I like flight sims, I don't complain that Thief doesn't have an airplane level. I just go buy a flight sim. Since when did every game have to please every player?

Exactly! This game doesn't need single player. It's about pwning noobs... in mechs.. or with a jetpack strapped to your back!  icon_biggrin

Speaking as a noob, this is the exact reason why I won't be buying this game.  The whole package looks pretty awesome, but going up against the COD bro-sect holds exactly zero appeal to me.

Did you try the beta?  The game does quite a lot of great things to make the game noob-friendly.  Of course, you have to raise above the ritt skill threshold for it to have an effect.  icon_wink
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 11, 2014, 03:21:11 AM »

Quote from: naednek on March 11, 2014, 01:27:15 AM

Quote from: YellowKing on March 10, 2014, 08:17:42 PM

You PC players enjoy being tethered to your 24" monitor while the Xboners chill on the couch with a beer in front of their 60" TVs.  icon_twisted

Last I checked, I have a nice comfy chair, a better interface called keyboard and mouse, not to mention a more powerful PC than the Xbox One or PS4, oh, and better graphics.

...and aimbots, and wallhacks, and... slywink

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 11, 2014, 04:22:43 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 11, 2014, 02:25:05 AM

You PC players enjoy being tethered to your 24" monitor while the Xboners chill on the couch with a beer in front of their 60" TVs.  icon_twisted

Last I checked, I have a nice comfy chair, a better interface called keyboard and mouse, not to mention a more powerful PC than the Xbox One or PS4, oh, and better graphics.  To top it off, I have a whole desktop to place multiple beer bottles without having to get up to 1: get more beer, 2: throw away empty bottles.
I might get pc too, just so I can pwn ken with a controller on it vs his superior controls. slywink

bring it Tongue
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 11, 2014, 04:34:12 AM »

I hate the concept that every single player game needs to have multiplayer and that every multiplayer game needs to have single player. If I like flight sims, I don't complain that Thief doesn't have an airplane level. I just go buy a flight sim. Since when did every game have to please every player?

Exactly! This game doesn't need single player. It's about pwning noobs... in mechs.. or with a jetpack strapped to your back!  icon_biggrin

Speaking as a noob, this is the exact reason why I won't be buying this game.  The whole package looks pretty awesome, but going up against the COD bro-sect holds exactly zero appeal to me.

You don't have a CoD 'Bro' fanatic to get into this game. A guy who was playing the game on Twitch earlier today mentioned that the game was very accesible and you didn't have to be a master of FPS to enjoy it.

The game is fun like this:

(PR hops into an Ogre Titan)

'Oh, Look. It's Wonderpug jumping around building rooftops trying to get at me!'

(PR fires a barrage of rockets at Wonderpug)

*BOOM*BOOM*BOOM*BOOM*BOOM*BOOM*

'That..*was* Wonderpug trying to jump at me on his silly jetpack!'  icon_razz
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #565 on: March 11, 2014, 04:36:18 AM »

FYI, this is unlocked on PC now. 
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 11, 2014, 04:57:01 AM »

well, YK has one thing to his advantage, you don't have to worry about config settings in terms of finding out what's making the game choppy

Played this in the beta on the highest settings, but the retail version is a bit laggy at times.  Think I got it under control now.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 11, 2014, 05:03:24 AM »

twitch streaming is technically live now on XB1, but I'm not having any luck getting it to work.  It's hard locking stuff for me.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 11, 2014, 05:22:00 AM »

A 'TitanFall' live action series is coming: Free The Frontier.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 11, 2014, 09:18:42 AM »

Streaming Titanfall now, no camera yet slywink

www.twitch.tv/harkonis
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: March 11, 2014, 09:45:48 AM »

they don't use CBR, and as a result it lagged me right the fuck out
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 11, 2014, 10:53:57 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 11, 2014, 09:18:42 AM

www.twitch.tv/harkonis

At least title your broadcast

Lvl 8 already..  You'll be 25 by time I get home from work lol

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 11, 2014, 11:06:58 AM »

I had it titled the first 3 times I tried it Tongue
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 11, 2014, 11:14:49 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 11, 2014, 09:18:42 AM

www.twitch.tv/harkonis

I'm watching right now.  I just saw the part where you mounted an enemy Titan, shot its core a few times with your shotgun, and hit Level 11.

There's no microphone feed, though.  Is your headset not working properly, or is that something you need the camera for?

EDIT: Yeah!  You got the Stryder! thumbsup

EDIT 2: Oh my god...IHaTeDavis is already Level 20?  Assuming you've both been playing since the game unlocked, how could have have doubled your XP gain in this amount of time?

-Autistic Angel
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 11:22:38 AM by Autistic Angel » Logged
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 11, 2014, 11:36:21 AM »

I'm muted at the moment, that's why no mic sounds.  I had to keep turning down the quality despite having plenty of bandwidth.  Does it look ok?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 11, 2014, 11:46:39 AM »

My download wasn't done until close to 5am, he could have either received it early, or at midnight EST.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 11, 2014, 12:02:56 PM »

Did not hop out of bed and start the download before leaving for work as I'm still unconvinced that I want it.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 11, 2014, 12:16:24 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 11, 2014, 11:46:39 AM

My download wasn't done until close to 5am, he could have either received it early, or at midnight EST.

Damn, I need to get a new ISP.  My download has been going for 5 hours and I'm only at 30%.  They must throttle me for big downloads or something.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 11, 2014, 12:37:40 PM »

Full disclosure - the reason I fired the first shot in the console vs PC "war" was that this is the first multiplayer shooter since Halo I've actually played on a console. I've been a LONG time PC-only shooter guy for the precise reasons you guys described. It was a bit of poking fun at myself.  icon_biggrin
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 11, 2014, 01:33:05 PM »

Great tips vid.

Specific tips start in the neighborhood of 3 mins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=g-subs-u&v=3he2RiTq1CU&app=desktop
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 11, 2014, 02:25:39 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 11, 2014, 12:16:24 PM

Damn, I need to get a new ISP.  My download has been going for 5 hours and I'm only at 30%.  They must throttle me for big downloads or something.

Started downloading Titanfall around 6 AM this morning and was finished by 7 AM.  Even had my Dark Souls 2 download going at the same time and Titanfall finished first even though it is a much bigger game.  PS3 speeds have never been great, though.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 11, 2014, 02:29:12 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 11, 2014, 02:25:39 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on March 11, 2014, 12:16:24 PM

Damn, I need to get a new ISP.  My download has been going for 5 hours and I'm only at 30%.  They must throttle me for big downloads or something.

Started downloading Titanfall around 6 AM this morning and was finished by 7 AM.  Even had my Dark Souls 2 download going at the same time and Titanfall finished first even though it is a much bigger game.  PS3 speeds have never been great, though.

An hour after my post above my download jumped to 60%, and now I'm at my last 10%.  Still way slower than you guys, but at least I should be able to get some time into the game before the servers melt down tonight.

edit:
Quote from: pug's XB1
Almost there!  Titanfall download at 95%!

Oh what's that?  You've had Twitch and Zumba Fitness queued up this whole time?  Well now seems like a perfect time to inexplicably move those to the top of the queue!  We can get that last 5% of Titanfall some other time.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 03:33:20 PM by wonderpug » Logged
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 11, 2014, 03:38:14 PM »

Because fuck you, that's why.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 11, 2014, 04:32:57 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 11, 2014, 03:00:54 AM

I find it funny that people won't buy Titanfally because it's multiplayer-only.  I can understand the preference for playing a single player game (I'm usually in that camp), but saying that a multiplayer game doesn't have enough meat without single player is silly.  I find it easy to play a multiplayer game like Battlefield many, many times longer than I can put up with their mediocre single player.

I remember buying the first Starsiege: Tribes 15 years ago as my first multiplayer-only game and that felt risky, but these days I'm surprised more games don't do it. 

Same. I've gotten hundreds of hours from the Battlefield games going back to BF 1942 playing only MP.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 11, 2014, 04:58:57 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 11, 2014, 03:01:24 AM

Exactly! This game doesn't need single player. It's about pwning noobs... in mechs.. or with a jetpack strapped to your back!  icon_biggrin

Speaking as a noob, this is the exact reason why I won't be buying this game.  The whole package looks pretty awesome, but going up against the COD bro-sect holds exactly zero appeal to me.

Did you try the beta?  The game does quite a lot of great things to make the game noob-friendly.  Of course, you have to raise above the ritt skill threshold for it to have an effect.  icon_wink

LOL yeah.  As I mentioned I couldn't even make it through the entire tutorial, and not for lack of trying.  I just don't do well with jumping puzzles in any game.  When you add the FPS perspective it just makes it worse for me.  Then you factor in the pace of MP and everyone else being way ahead of you in all facets of the game, and I guarantee it is NOT noob-friendly. 

So to answer the later comment below, it's not that I demand SP content to get my money's worth or whatever, but in a game like this, it would be the only way I might be able to practice/learn enough to be viable in multiplayer. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: March 11, 2014, 05:06:59 PM »

For your first person perspective issues, try standing behind and slightly above and to the right of someone else playing the game on the couch, then boss that person around.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 11, 2014, 06:32:12 PM »

Picked the PC version up at Best Buy today. Never played the beta....looking forward to seeing what all the hype is about.  icon_smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 11, 2014, 06:39:55 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 11, 2014, 03:21:11 AM

You PC players enjoy being tethered to your 24" monitor while the Xboners chill on the couch with a beer in front of their 60" TVs.  icon_twisted

Last I checked, I have a nice comfy chair, a better interface called keyboard and mouse, not to mention a more powerful PC than the Xbox One or PS4, oh, and better graphics.

...and aimbots, and wallhacks, and... slywink

Or us PC players can just hook it up to our 60" TV's and play on that as well, if we want. HDMI ports are amazing things! slywink

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 11, 2014, 06:49:01 PM »

Went home at lunch to play. Install was quicker than I anticipated, maybe 15 minutes? No problem getting connected. Got through the tutorial one one campaign mission. We wound up utterly annihilating the other team in domination and I had a 2:1 K/D so it was a good initiation into my Titanfall career.  nod
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 11, 2014, 08:20:49 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 11, 2014, 11:36:21 AM

I'm muted at the moment, that's why no mic sounds.  I had to keep turning down the quality despite having plenty of bandwidth.  Does it look ok?

Looked fine to me -- all the text was readable, in-game sound was good, and I had no trouble following the action.

-Autistic Angel
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 11, 2014, 08:30:15 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 11, 2014, 04:58:57 PM

LOL yeah.  As I mentioned I couldn't even make it through the entire tutorial, and not for lack of trying.  I just don't do well with jumping puzzles in any game.  When you add the FPS perspective it just makes it worse for me.  Then you factor in the pace of MP and everyone else being way ahead of you in all facets of the game, and I guarantee it is NOT noob-friendly. 

So to answer the later comment below, it's not that I demand SP content to get my money's worth or whatever, but in a game like this, it would be the only way I might be able to practice/learn enough to be viable in multiplayer. 

I'm in the same boat as rittchard.  I kinda suck at FPS anyways, so playing an MP game and getting my ass absolutely handed to me every single time I boot it up isn't particularly fun.  I have very little gaming time, so practicing to get significantly better isn't much of an option either.

Everything about Titanfall looks really damn cool though (i.e. the world, the setting, the combat, etc.), which is why it's disappointing that there isn't any form of single player for those of us who don't enjoy being perpetual noobs.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 11, 2014, 08:55:19 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 11, 2014, 08:30:15 PM

Quote from: rittchard on March 11, 2014, 04:58:57 PM

I'm in the same boat as rittchard.  I kinda suck at FPS anyways, so playing an MP game and getting my ass absolutely handed to me every single time I boot it up isn't particularly fun.  I have very little gaming time, so practicing to get significantly better isn't much of an option either.

Everything about Titanfall looks really damn cool though (i.e. the world, the setting, the combat, etc.), which is why it's disappointing that there isn't any form of single player for those of us who don't enjoy being perpetual noobs.

Yeah, I really do wish there was some sort of offline mode. That is a major omission. Hopefully for Titanfall 2! smile

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 11, 2014, 09:15:06 PM »

"Pilot, your Titan has been destroyed.  Beginning construction on a replacement."

Buddy, maybe next time just start constructing the new one right as soon as I get inside this one.  Have it on hand, you know?
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 11, 2014, 09:21:36 PM »

Quote from: ATB on March 11, 2014, 12:02:56 PM

Did not hop out of bed and start the download before leaving for work as I'm still unconvinced that I want it.

If you don't play, everyone on the internet will think your username is short for Anti-Titanfall Baby.  Everyone.

Has all the campaigning I've done to convince them it's actually Awesome Titanfall Buyer really been for naught?

-Autistic Angel
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 11, 2014, 09:34:00 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 11, 2014, 09:15:06 PM

"Pilot, your Titan has been destroyed.  Beginning construction on a replacement."

Buddy, maybe next time just start constructing the new one right as soon as I get inside this one.  Have it on hand, you know?

It's because there is a finite number of titans and when one is blown up all of the raw materials are captured in a transporter and then reconstituted into a new titan.

I just made that up and it totally makes sense, yup.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 11, 2014, 10:26:12 PM »

Early impressions:

Gameplay is just as fun as the beta, no surprise there. Having a blast, especially with the two additional Titans and all the new weapons and abilities to try out. I haven't tried the Ogre much yet but I'm really digging the Stryder. The three dashes let you do some really awesome complicated ambushes and escapes. I feel like I've got to be really annoying the enemies in dancing around, so mission accomplished.

The campaign mode is pretty lackluster, but at least it goes quick. It kinda fleshes out the world a wee bit, but not by much. You don't get attached to any characters, or even the plot. It kind of felt like MMO quests you get bored of and skip all the dialogue. "Yeah yeah yeah, I'm capturing 3 points for some reason. Let me at it."

Not really sure why they even bothered with the campaign. It's not really an extended tutorial, it's not enough to satisfy the "there's no single player campaign!" people, doesn't really change up the gameplay, and it hardly does anything to add to the game lore.

So yeah, don't expect much from the campaign mode, but the regular multiplayer is fantastic.

Oh, and all the maps I've played seem great so far.  More importantly, I haven't yet played on a map I hated.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 10:29:28 PM by wonderpug » Logged
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 11, 2014, 10:56:56 PM »

Annnnnnnd it's down: http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/03/11/xbox-live-down-on-titanfall-launch-day/

Shocking news, guys.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 11, 2014, 11:19:56 PM »

Quote from: gellar on March 11, 2014, 10:56:56 PM

Huh, I've been on for a few hours and I'm still playing right now.  Maybe it's just stopping new logins right now?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 11, 2014, 11:20:55 PM »

I think it's interesting WHAT went down.  Apparently the in-game servers are still fully functional.  The 360 and web side of Live is also fine.  Just login from Xbox One is affected, which unfortunately is pretty damned important. frown

Diablo, here I come!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: March 11, 2014, 11:21:12 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 11, 2014, 11:19:56 PM

Quote from: gellar on March 11, 2014, 10:56:56 PM

Huh, I've been on for a few hours and I'm still playing right now.  Maybe it's just stopping new logins right now?

Do NOT log out or turn off your xbox pug slywink
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: