http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 05:08:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/XB1]Respawn's Titanfall  (Read 17846 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 10, 2014, 03:32:48 AM »

roughly midnight PST, but it's usually a tad later.  Kinda sucks for those on the east coast like myself, but whatever slywink
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 10, 2014, 03:41:52 AM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on March 05, 2014, 10:07:16 PM

So's your face.

Pretty awesome post that got ignored. It's the simple things in life, right? nod
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 10, 2014, 05:50:09 AM »

digital version unlock times

Midnight Pacific for XB1, but midnight Eastern for PC. I guess it's because of Live vs Origin, but still  retard
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 10, 2014, 08:16:07 AM »

It'll be fine. This time we have the power of the cloud. Plus it's the beginning of the console lifespan so there are only about 4 million potential owners out there rather than 80 million (referring to the Xbone of course).
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 10, 2014, 01:37:48 PM »

Quote from: naednek on March 10, 2014, 12:44:30 AM

It's a russian site, and the key is valid.

Two phrases that have NEVER been in the same sentence before. And never will be again.  icon_biggrin
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: March 10, 2014, 04:13:09 PM »

Review embargo just lifted.  Turns out this is going to be a good game.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 10, 2014, 04:17:35 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 10, 2014, 04:13:09 PM

Review embargo just lifted.  Turns out this is going to be a good game.

I don't like it.  Makes me think back to your comment about MS paying through the nose to keep it* exclusive, even though Respawn said it wouldn't be.

*the series
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 10, 2014, 04:46:39 PM »

Gerstmann has a very balanced 'almost'  review on GB.  They won't post a score until it's actually in the wild because it's an MP only game.

I so love how that site approaches things.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 10, 2014, 04:49:55 PM »

interesting take in a middling review on metacritic:

"an immensely enjoyable and exquisitely crafted shoot-em-up...Yet Titanfall is also a worrisome product that delivers only a fraction of what competing games – including Call of Duty – do, for the same price tag. That sets a worrying precedent where gamers are set to get less game for the same money. As the next generation of consoles takes root, this is both a commercial and an artistic concern."

Edit: I almost never play the SP of MP games, but like someone said earlier in the thread, this game woudl be awesome for a SP.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #529 on: March 10, 2014, 04:58:35 PM »

totally in agreement with the SP.  I think I was one who mentioned that earlier.  the environments they have here would have fit them well with a good campaign. 

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 10, 2014, 05:22:06 PM »

Quote from: ATB on March 10, 2014, 04:49:55 PM

interesting take in a middling review on metacritic:

"an immensely enjoyable and exquisitely crafted shoot-em-up...Yet Titanfall is also a worrisome product that delivers only a fraction of what competing games – including Call of Duty – do, for the same price tag. That sets a worrying precedent where gamers are set to get less game for the same money. As the next generation of consoles takes root, this is both a commercial and an artistic concern."

Edit: I almost never play the SP of MP games, but like someone said earlier in the thread, this game woudl be awesome for a SP.

Has the console world never seen a multiplayer-only FPS game or something?  I've purchased so many on the PC without it ever feeling like a worrying precedent.  Online multiplayer games are just a different kind of game.

And from that same review:
The total lack of single-player capability is at odds with most other FPS games. If the likes of Call of Duty or Halo can provide both single- and multiplayer modes for the same price tag, it doesn’t seem right that Titanfall can’t. While Respawn and EA are cutting down on the price of development by foregoing single-player, those savings aren’t being passed on to gamers, which is the concerning part of the game.
CoD and Halo have development teams the size of small cities, don't they?  I think there's a direct inverse correlation between development team size and ability to innovate.  Tiny indie devs can do whatever they want, 60-man teams like Respawn can breathe new life into the FPS genre, and CoD/Halo size teams get bogged down in committee gridlock and give us this stagnant genre with yearly baby step innovations.

And that's why I raise an eyebrow at "those savings aren't being passed on to gamers."  If Respawn did make a quality SP campaign mode, there's no way we would be getting the same level of quality for the MP portion.  
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 10, 2014, 05:28:37 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 10, 2014, 05:22:06 PM

And that's why I raise an eyebrow at "those savings aren't being passed on to gamers."  If Respawn did make a quality SP campaign mode, there's no way we would be getting the same level of quality for the MP portion.  

Why do you say that?  Haven't plenty of other FPS games provided OK SP modes and still delivered good MP quality?

I have to say that the complete lack of SP made it a non-purchase for me.  I tried the beta/demo and the MP was just too difficult for me to get into (literally I would take a few steps and die; I did manage to get into a mech once before taking a few steps in the mech and dying lol), so without a SP element there was no way for me to feel comfortable learning the game. 
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 10, 2014, 05:30:22 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 10, 2014, 05:28:37 PM

Why do you say that?  Haven't plenty of other FPS games provided OK SP modes and still delivered good MP quality?

I have to say that the complete lack of SP made it a non-purchase for me.  I tried the beta/demo and the MP was just too difficult for me to get into (literally I would take a few steps and die; I did manage to get into a mech once before taking a few steps in the mech and dying lol), so without a SP element there was no way for me to feel comfortable learning the game. 

Come on, Ritt.. If you can play competitive volleyball.. you can play 'Titanfall'.. Just bounce into those mechs v-ball style!  icon_razz
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 10, 2014, 05:47:44 PM »

I guess from my perspective, games that have both SP and MP either have fantastic SP and shitty/tacked on MP, or the reverse of that.  Blizzard games are an exception... maybe Gears of War?  I was late to the party with that series.

But with games like Battlefield or Call of Duty, the SP campaign is never particularly enjoyable.  I know they have their fans, but I'm not one of them.  I buy those games and go straight to multi, and if there's something I can only unlock by finishing the SP campaign I groan--the addition of SP actually detracts from my experience in that case.

The biggest downfall I'll agree with regarding Titanfall's lack of single player is that it cuts out the best avenue for fleshing out the game world and lore.  The 'multiplayer campaign mode' seems like their method of addressing that, but I'll have to see it for myself to see if it works.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 10, 2014, 05:52:36 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 10, 2014, 05:47:44 PM

Why do you say that?  Haven't plenty of other FPS games provided OK SP modes and still delivered good MP quality?

I have to say that the complete lack of SP made it a non-purchase for me.  I tried the beta/demo and the MP was just too difficult for me to get into (literally I would take a few steps and die; I did manage to get into a mech once before taking a few steps in the mech and dying lol), so without a SP element there was no way for me to feel comfortable learning the game.  

I guess from my perspective, games that have both SP and MP either have fantastic SP and shitty/tacked on MP, or the reverse of that.  Blizzard games are an exception... maybe Gears of War?  I was late to the party with that series.

But with games like Battlefield or Call of Duty, the SP campaign is never particularly enjoyable.  I know they have their fans, but I'm not one of them.  I buy those games and go straight to multi, and if there's something I can only unlock by finishing the SP campaign I groan--the addition of SP actually detracts from my experience in that case.

The biggest downfall I'll agree with regarding Titanfall's lack of single player is that it cuts out the best avenue for fleshing out the game world and lore.  The 'multiplayer campaign mode' seems like their method of addressing that, but I'll have to see it for myself to see if it works.

Actually, the fact that 'Titanfall' has no SP makes the game more attractive to me. What makes a good FPS crackle, or a good MOBA game... is pwning noobs! Pwning. Noobs. You can add the lore as you along, like LoL did.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 10, 2014, 06:03:33 PM »

Reviews are coming out

Polygon = 9

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 10, 2014, 06:19:49 PM »

I am guessing this is more like COD than BF.  Will COD be a thing of the past after TF gets some legs?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 10, 2014, 06:27:03 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 10, 2014, 06:19:49 PM

I am guessing this is more like COD than BF.  Will COD be a thing of the past after TF gets some legs?

No way CoD will vanish, but I think they'll have to make some big changes to the formula to not look really bad compared to Titanfall and the Titanfall-inspired multiplayer games we'll see these next few years.

I'm guessing CoD 2014 is too far along in development to be that CoD gamechanger, but then again Bobby Kotick is saying this year's CoD is "the best Call of Duty game ever created" and he seems like a totally unbiased source.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 10, 2014, 06:50:34 PM »

I just heard on Twitch that the game is a 50gb install.  icon_eek Wowzers... Must definitely gonna have to get a second hard drive before getting this.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 10, 2014, 06:51:02 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 10, 2014, 06:27:03 PM

...but then again Bobby Kotick is saying this year's CoD is "the best Call of Duty game ever created" and he seems like a totally unbiased source.

Hah!! icon_lol
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: March 10, 2014, 06:53:42 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on March 10, 2014, 06:50:34 PM

I just heard on Twitch that the game is a 50gb install.  icon_eek Wowzers... Must definitely gonna have to get a second hard drive before getting this.

It's a 50GB download.  The install is probably bigger Tongue
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 10, 2014, 07:01:58 PM »

Watching a Twitch stream. They're playing it on PC. Good lord, it looks fantastic!

Payday is Friday. Ugh!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 10, 2014, 07:16:24 PM »

Quote from: naednek on March 10, 2014, 06:53:42 PM

Quote from: PR_GMR on March 10, 2014, 06:50:34 PM

It's a 50GB download.  The install is probably bigger Tongue

Respawn (well, Vince) has commented that the actual download IS 20gb, and that the total install is 50ish.  It seems it reserves the space on the hdd and does some unpacking on the fly.  The origin data rate is including uncompressed data transfer rate, which is how it goes over some people's speed caps. 
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 10, 2014, 07:27:29 PM »

So are most of us getting it for the XB1?
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 10, 2014, 07:46:03 PM »

It's gonna take like 14 hours to download.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 10, 2014, 07:48:38 PM »

I still haven't decided if I'm getting this or not (PC version).   I haven't been this indecisive about a game in a while.  I really should make up my mind soon huh?
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #546 on: March 10, 2014, 07:54:06 PM »

Quote from: ATB on March 10, 2014, 07:46:03 PM

It's gonna take like 14 hours to download.
Took me 4 hours to download and install from Origin.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 10, 2014, 08:05:49 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on March 10, 2014, 07:48:38 PM

I still haven't decided if I'm getting this or not (PC version).   I haven't been this indecisive about a game in a while.  I really should make up my mind soon huh?

If you're indecisive, *do not* watch the following two video reviews.... 'cause you will buy the game:

Gametrailers: 9.3

Adam Sessler Rev3Games: 5 out of 5.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 08:09:30 PM by PR_GMR » Logged
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 10, 2014, 08:08:20 PM »

I hate the concept that every single player game needs to have multiplayer and that every multiplayer game needs to have single player. If I like flight sims, I don't complain that Thief doesn't have an airplane level. I just go buy a flight sim. Since when did every game have to please every player?
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 10, 2014, 08:10:53 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on March 10, 2014, 08:08:20 PM

I hate the concept that every single player game needs to have multiplayer and that every multiplayer game needs to have single player. If I like flight sims, I don't complain that Thief doesn't have an airplane level. I just go buy a flight sim. Since when did every game have to please every player?

Exactly! This game doesn't need single player. It's about pwning noobs... in mechs.. or with a jetpack strapped to your back!  icon_biggrin
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: March 10, 2014, 08:17:42 PM »

You PC players enjoy being tethered to your 24" monitor while the Xboners chill on the couch with a beer in front of their 60" TVs.  icon_twisted
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 10, 2014, 08:21:09 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on March 10, 2014, 08:17:42 PM

You PC players enjoy being tethered to your 24" monitor while the Xboners chill on the couch with a beer in front of their 60" TVs.  icon_twisted

I'm about to tether my Xbone to my PC monitor so I can squeak in more kid-free Titanfall time...   icon_neutral
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 10, 2014, 08:22:57 PM »

I get it. There's a value equation there for a lot of players. I personally think it's antiquated... but hey people still complaint about not getting manuals anymore so people are weird.

Technically a 24" monitor is better than a 60" monitor for competitive gaming... but yeah I'm not that competitive. X1 ftw.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #553 on: March 10, 2014, 08:39:59 PM »

Will do! Enjoy aiming with a controller and playing at a much lower resolution stretched over a much bigger screen.  icon_razz
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #554 on: March 11, 2014, 12:23:12 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on March 10, 2014, 08:39:59 PM

Will do! Enjoy aiming with a controller and playing at a much lower resolution stretched over a much bigger screen.  icon_razz

What Lordnine said.  Tongue  Not to mention getting it for $15 cheaper through GMG. 

Quote from: msduncan on March 10, 2014, 07:27:29 PM

So are most of us getting it for the XB1?

I'm going to be playing it on the PC.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: March 11, 2014, 01:27:15 AM »

You PC players enjoy being tethered to your 24" monitor while the Xboners chill on the couch with a beer in front of their 60" TVs.  icon_twisted

Last I checked, I have a nice comfy chair, a better interface called keyboard and mouse, not to mention a more powerful PC than the Xbox One or PS4, oh, and better graphics.  To top it off, I have a whole desktop to place multiple beer bottles without having to get up to 1: get more beer, 2: throw away empty bottles.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 01:29:35 AM by naednek » Logged
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 11, 2014, 01:40:45 AM »

PCs also have the best feature right now - they can actually preorder and preload the fucking game.

I cannot begin to state how much this infuriates me.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 11, 2014, 02:11:59 AM »

Quote from: gellar on March 11, 2014, 01:40:45 AM

PCs also have the best feature right now - they can actually preorder and preload the fucking game.

I cannot begin to state how much this infuriates me.

Agreed.

But everyone should keep in mind that any console vs PC message you post adds 25 minutes to your Titan timer.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 11, 2014, 02:25:05 AM »

Quote from: naednek on March 11, 2014, 01:27:15 AM

You PC players enjoy being tethered to your 24" monitor while the Xboners chill on the couch with a beer in front of their 60" TVs.  icon_twisted

Last I checked, I have a nice comfy chair, a better interface called keyboard and mouse, not to mention a more powerful PC than the Xbox One or PS4, oh, and better graphics.  To top it off, I have a whole desktop to place multiple beer bottles without having to get up to 1: get more beer, 2: throw away empty bottles.
I might get pc too, just so I can pwn ken with a controller on it vs his superior controls. slywink
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 11, 2014, 02:32:13 AM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on March 10, 2014, 08:10:53 PM

Exactly! This game doesn't need single player. It's about pwning noobs... in mechs.. or with a jetpack strapped to your back!  icon_biggrin

Speaking as a noob, this is the exact reason why I won't be buying this game.  The whole package looks pretty awesome, but going up against the COD bro-sect holds exactly zero appeal to me.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: