http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 03:29:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/XB1]Respawn's Titanfall  (Read 19615 times)
IkeVandergraaf
Gaming Trend Senior Member

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: March 05, 2014, 09:55:31 PM »

I'm looking forward to it. Unfortunately I'm travelling for business and might not get a chance to try it until the following weekend.  Loved the demo though.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 05, 2014, 10:05:16 PM »

The graphics aren't 32 bit, they are in the style of vector graphics, which the original asteroids had. 
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 05, 2014, 10:07:16 PM »

So's your face.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #483 on: March 05, 2014, 10:27:47 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 05, 2014, 09:45:35 PM

Other than the Titan and its weapons, what part of the game defies 8-bit capabilities?

Quote from: Harkonis on March 05, 2014, 10:05:16 PM

The graphics aren't 32 bit, they are in the style of vector graphics, which the original asteroids had.  

These responses puzzle me. Do the two of you know what 8-bit actually means? It represents the color depth available for use in the graphics. Common usage of the word also implies low resolutions with visible pixels (not just square blocks. Once such blocks start rotating or scaling on the screen, you're looking at someone who doesn't understand how low resolution works. This is also a typical pitfall), though that's not strictly necessary. The game presented on that site has fancy color and transparency effects, including subtle glow and smooth fades to black. They have been done with 32-bit capabilities in mind. The resolution is also much higher than any 8-bit machine used. There's nothing left to associate it with 8-bit except memories of the original games themselves. The answer to the question: "what part of the game defies 8-bit capabilities?" is: "every single part, without exception."

Vector graphics have nothing to do with 8, 16 or 32 bit graphics. Don't confuse terms by mixing that into the picture.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 10:29:31 PM by TiLT » Logged
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 05, 2014, 10:46:26 PM »

I think of 8-bit as referring to the CPU.  The NES had an 8-bit processor, the SNES and Genesis had 16-bit processors, and the Sega 32X had a 32 bit processor, and the Nintendo 64 had a 64-bit processor.  

And, surprising to me, the cabinet that ran Asteroids had this 8-bit processor.

Games with vector graphics arguably have higher 'resolution' than even an Apple Retina display because the beam of light is directly moving between the points specified.  You could even say the original Asteroids game has a higher resolution than this Titanfall version, since a vector machine has literally zero aliasing.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #485 on: March 05, 2014, 10:49:07 PM »

I'm just surprised that EA wanted to pay licensing fees for each of those old games that they don't own. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 06, 2014, 12:54:12 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 05, 2014, 10:27:47 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on March 05, 2014, 09:45:35 PM

Other than the Titan and its weapons, what part of the game defies 8-bit capabilities?

Quote from: Harkonis on March 05, 2014, 10:05:16 PM

These responses puzzle me. Do the two of you know what 8-bit actually means? It represents the color depth available for use in the graphics. Common usage of the word also implies low resolutions with visible pixels (not just square blocks. Once such blocks start rotating or scaling on the screen, you're looking at someone who doesn't understand how low resolution works. This is also a typical pitfall), though that's not strictly necessary. The game presented on that site has fancy color and transparency effects, including subtle glow and smooth fades to black. They have been done with 32-bit capabilities in mind. The resolution is also much higher than any 8-bit machine used. There's nothing left to associate it with 8-bit except memories of the original games themselves. The answer to the question: "what part of the game defies 8-bit capabilities?" is: "every single part, without exception."

Vector graphics have nothing to do with 8, 16 or 32 bit graphics. Don't confuse terms by mixing that into the picture.

they aren't talking about 8-bit color depth, they are talking about 8-bit processor, this is why NES games were called 8-bit games, not because of the color palette. 

It really sounds like you're being pedantic just to be a dick, which makes sense because this is a MS associated thread.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 06, 2014, 12:58:00 AM »

This thread is suddenly the most boring thing on the interweb.

75% sure I am getting Titanfall.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 06, 2014, 02:24:28 AM »

"Pilot, your Titan will be ready in 6 days"

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 06, 2014, 03:50:29 AM »

Just pre ordered my XBOX One Titanfall bundle from BestBuy. I really was trying to hold out for Watch Dog but this game looks good and I saved $60.00.

XBox GAMERTAG:Juniordan     ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222  ()  ()  ()
PlayStation: Spinks      ()  ()  ()
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 06, 2014, 04:27:14 AM »

Quote from: JuniorDan on March 06, 2014, 03:50:29 AM

Just pre ordered my XBOX One Titanfall bundle from BestBuy. I really was trying to hold out for Watch Dog but this game looks good and I saved $60.00.

If you were already thinking of getting one in the near future, it's hard to resist a $440 XB1!  Especially since the latest system patch is fixing so many things that should have been there on day 1.

I'm trying to be clairvoyant and pick which day to take off from work for a Titanfall launch bonanza.  Even though they gave it their all trying to stress test things in the beta, I'm not expecting to be able to play at all during Tuesday night prime time, and I'm worried even Wednesday during the day may be rough.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #491 on: March 06, 2014, 06:50:19 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 06, 2014, 12:54:12 AM

It really sounds like you're being pedantic just to be a dick, which makes sense because this is a MS associated thread.

Oh shut the fuck up! You're opening that door, not me. This isn't about MS or Titanfall, and when the fuck did it become about me? You should be ashamed of yourself for even writing that shit.

I've seen a lot of faulty references to 8-bit graphics (and graphics is what people talk about with these things, not the core processor, which tended to be the same bit depth as the graphics anyway, back in the days), and this was the first time I've actually seen it mentioned in a place where I could reply.

But sure, if you think I'm doing this to piss on Microsoft, then put a damned tinfoil hat on your head and look at how smart that makes you appear.

I'm out.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 06, 2014, 11:30:41 AM »

I grabbed the Xb1 Titanfall Edition. Between The free pack-in game and Turbo Tax giving customers XB1 consoles for $450 via Amazon gift card, it seemed like a good deal.

I'm just disappointed that there is no single player portion, or offline bot gameplay. I detest multiplayer, so Ill just end up flipping the game.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 06, 2014, 12:09:12 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on March 06, 2014, 02:24:28 AM

awesomne

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 06, 2014, 10:13:09 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on March 06, 2014, 12:09:12 PM

Quote from: USMC Kato on March 06, 2014, 02:24:28 AM

awesomne

I went out and shot some grunts so my Titan is going to be ready in 5 days.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: March 07, 2014, 01:35:40 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3gcdnJNRLM
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 07, 2014, 01:59:03 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 07, 2014, 01:35:40 AM

Nice.  Reminds me I need to finish Season 1.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #497 on: March 07, 2014, 04:10:59 PM »

EA has cancelled Titanfall?!
Spoiler for Hiden:
well, in South Africa that is

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 07, 2014, 04:53:34 PM »

I am excited for this game.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #499 on: March 07, 2014, 06:42:56 PM »

I got my key to preload from GMG, which is nice.  Plenty of time to download and install that 50 gigs I guess.  smile

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #500 on: March 07, 2014, 07:01:02 PM »

If you sign up for the Green Man Gaming newsletter they will send you a $10 off coupon for Titanfall.  Best discount I've seen if you are in North America.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #501 on: March 07, 2014, 08:36:23 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on March 07, 2014, 07:01:02 PM

If you sign up for the Green Man Gaming newsletter they will send you a $10 off coupon for Titanfall.  Best discount I've seen if you are in North America.

When I got mine several weeks back it was 20% ($12) off, but obviously that coupon is no longer valid.

Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 08, 2014, 02:03:52 AM »

Got my copy. 840mb update. Just installed and watched the into - impressions soon.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 08, 2014, 03:56:09 AM »

I hate you bud, I hate you.  slywink  (passed up getting early copy so I can stay digital, you enjoy the forced disk in drive)
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 08, 2014, 05:36:15 AM »

So far the maps are great could've sworn there was a level with bridges for the titans to move around on. More burn cards available. Spider sense is terrible - supposed to let you hear enemy soldiers - doesn't frown

Once again - suppressed weapons rule.

New maps are great. Well designed and play really well.

New Titan skins too! Super skinny one looks hilarious - like it walks on toothpicks.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 05:44:36 AM by Roman » Logged

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 08, 2014, 06:05:38 AM »

Spider sense doesn't let you hear enemies, it play a sound when they are nearby.  It was in the beta.  Only 6 cards weren't as far as I know.

There are titan skins?  thought they had said that wouldn't be a thing.
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 08, 2014, 04:25:43 PM »

Okay thanks for the clarification - still didn't hear a sound smile unless there was just too much noise going on at the time.

Yes from what I see now there are 3 skins:
The one from the beta - with chain gun
Then 2 more that I have access to - 1 with the rocket launcher has the tiny arms and legs. The other has the 40mm cannon and looks like the atlas I believe.

Also unlocked the rail gun for the Titan last night - takes a while to power up but is pretty powerful. Someone hit me with it while I was standing still as it turned me into red mist right quick!

It's also nice to see a whole set of new maps. My favourite so far looks like something out of the terminator movies - looks like a futuristic manufacturing facility. It also has these hiige brontosaurus like dinos in the background just walking along.

Glad I got it early as I'm going skiing for 4 days starting tomorrow so I'd miss the launch.
See y'all Thursday night.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #507 on: March 08, 2014, 06:13:24 PM »

Those aren't skins, they are different types of titans: the Atlas, the Ogre and the Stryder.  They each perform differently.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 08, 2014, 06:33:04 PM »

Romy is a terrible field reporter.  ninja
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 08, 2014, 08:27:14 PM »

wah wah wah  crybaby icon_lol - apologies for the incorrect term.

On a happier note - the servers have been down all day for me  crybaby finger

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: March 08, 2014, 11:28:22 PM »

we also already discussed all three titan types earlier in the thread.  typical romy, ignore the whole thread but come post that you are playing early.  icon_twisted
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 09, 2014, 12:48:51 PM »

I hope people will consider posting their live streaming events in advance.  Or better yet, maintain a set schedule for when they'll be broadcasting Titanfall.

So far, I have an unbroken streak of tuning in just in time to hear, "-antastic time everyone!  Thanks for watching and I'll see you all again next time!"

-Autistic Angel
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 09, 2014, 02:10:42 PM »

Respawn has said they don't want people streaming before launch day (though they're ok with people playing if they find a copy).
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 09, 2014, 06:48:31 PM »

God I can't wait for this.

"xbox on!"

..."Xbox, ON!"

....... "XBOX!  ON!"
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 10, 2014, 12:44:30 AM »

have mine preloaded.  Wasn't going to get it so soon, but found it for $33 on the PC at yuplay.com.  It's a russian site, and the key is valid.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 10, 2014, 12:55:31 AM »

What time do digital games become available on the XB1?  Is it right as soon as it clicks over to 12:01am in your particular time zone?  If so I may stay up past my bedtime to get the download started ASAP.

Also, I have been sacrificing one goat a day to the Azure gods, so hopefully we'll have a better chance at a functional first day.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 10, 2014, 12:59:37 AM »

I have my physical copy coming from Microsoft on launch day. I've already told my wife that Tuesday is "Titanfall Day" and that means Tuesday night I play Titanfall. We don't catch up on TV shows, we don't snuggle on the couch watching a movie. It's "leave me alone, bitch, my Titan is ready," time. I've also notified her that we must come to an agreement before Tuesday on what nights are Titanfall nights. This is akin to a prenuptial - when she starts threatening me with divorce proceedings, I want this agreement in writing.  icon_biggrin
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 10, 2014, 01:04:14 AM »

I've already made my arrangements for Titan fall. My wife mourns at the passing of regular Kato, for only pilot Kato remains.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 10, 2014, 01:35:46 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on March 10, 2014, 12:59:37 AM

It's "leave me alone, bitch, my Titan is ready," time.

Send me $50 via PayPal or the wife sees the post  ninja icon_biggrin

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 10, 2014, 01:53:02 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 10, 2014, 12:55:31 AM

What time do digital games become available on the XB1?  Is it right as soon as it clicks over to 12:01am in your particular time zone?  If so I may stay up past my bedtime to get the download started ASAP.

Also, I have been sacrificing one goat a day to the Azure gods, so hopefully we'll have a better chance at a functional first day.

I'd imagine its a single timezone, though I have no idea what timezone that is. Probably Pacific?

I'm also assuming that this will go as well as every other major FPS launch day... which is to say very poorly. I'm making plans for playing on *Wednesday* night, assuming Tuesday is a total clusterfuck.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: