http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 04:22:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/XB1]Respawn's Titanfall  (Read 19206 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 21, 2014, 01:38:18 AM »

Buncha impressions from a fellow from the PA forums:

Quote from: Local H Jay
The alpha for Titanfall took a long time to download, and that's even with textures reduced to 25% and several levels/titans missing. Still, it's a pretty deep and impressive showing of gameplay. There are two maps included. Angel City is a map with large alleyways for titans and an open area outside the city's buildings. The other, Fracture, has a more rural area with many houses the player can amble up and over, which also create lanes for the titans. Each have distinct feel so maps will likely be varied in layout and style.

The two game modes shown were pretty standard. Attrition is the deathmatch mode, and Hardpoint Dominance is the standard three-objective conquest type mode. There are 6 pilots, or player controlled characters, per side. There are also numerous foot troops, called Grunts and Strikers, which are AI controlled. These NPCs aren't amazingly bright, but they work in tight formations and as a team, and can easily kill an unware player. They can be fodder but will also count toward your titan meter. Every character gets a Titan at some point, the timer is merely sped up by getting more kills. Pilot kills are worth more than AI kills, but both increase the titan meter. Titan kills also boost the meter.

Each person has three loadouts for both soldier and Titan. These are unlocked quickly, with more attachments, gear, and upgrades available later on. Only one type of Titan is available in the alpha, but there are many types of weapons to outfit them with as well. Each character and titan also have perks, such as cloaking or faster movement.

The gunplay is fast and frenetic. The guns feel solid and weighty, with tight aiming and precision shooting similar to, you guessed it, CoD. The maps and movement are the biggest departure from the CoD formula. The scale is much larger than your standard CoD map, and the futuristic setting helps give it a distinct look.

The maps are large and open, with building interiors serving as cover for ground troops. The movement system is tailored around the larger enviroments. Players can sprint, wall run, double jump, and otherwise nimbly navigate the many derelict structures littering the maps. In turn, maps feel organicly designed around the wallrun mechanic, as often you'll find youself effortlessly bouncing in and out of buildings at high speed. Controls feel very smooth and though it's not perfect, it definitively feels fun and intense to play. There is also a wallhang mechanic, a must-learn for aspiring snipers.

The titans themselves control similarly to on-foot, but with key differences. Titans are slower and cannot jump. They can dash twice before requiring a brief recharge, and easily crush soliders with their feet. They are equipped with shields, but a player can mount and deal direct damage to the back of the Titan. Titans have access to heavy weapons and a missle barrage, as well as the vortex shield. All three used in conjuction make titan on titan fights intense and thrilling. Properly timing a vortex shield to catch a missle barrage and send it flying back is one of the coolest moments you can have in a game. More abilites will be available in the full game.

All in all, the Alpha has been much deeper than I expected. Customization is present and although is a bit sparse, you get a good feeling of the way you progress in the full game. Using a gun will unlock attachments for it, and new skills other than cloak open up (one that increases your jump height and maneuverability on foot).
I am so god damn excited to play the full game, as even the alpha is incredibly polished. Rock solid netcode and mechanics make the gameplay smooth; and it's addicting to navigate the levels on foot or in Titan. Can't wait for March.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 21, 2014, 04:23:54 AM »

Assorted nifty stuff from the neogaf thread:

Quote from: Azula
On another note, one thing I really like about this game, is when you your team loses, a ship comes to pick your team up. You have to meet at the designated area on your map, and there is a countdown until your ship arrives. The other team knows where this spot is, so its a struggle to get to the area, and make it there alive. And of course the other team is going to show up and try to kill you, or take the ship down.

If you make it in the ship (you have to jet pack in), then you get a pretty nice chunk of bonus points that add to your leveling up. It's just something that adds a little more to the experience, and I really like it.

Quote from: Sub_Level
Love that the titan vs titan gameplay is noticeably different from pilot vs pilot. You don't die instantly in a titan and have a chance to turn things around with abilities or fancy maneuvering.

Quote from: Azula
It really is that cool. The parkour stuff is very fluid, and becomes second hand nature to you fairly quickly. It adds a lot to combat, as combat isn't always certain. In most other fps, if someone gets the jump on you, you are pretty much dead. But this game gives you more options to slip through their fingers, and even turn the battle in your favor.

And sorry pr0ner, it appears you cannot go prone.   icon_wink
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 23, 2014, 05:59:18 PM »

Not thrilled with the footage i've seen so far...
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 27, 2014, 02:17:40 PM »

Polygon says that they heard someone at NeoGaf say they heard a retailer heard from a French publication Xboxygen that Titanfall will have a beta from Feb 14-19!

According to the rumor, in the US the beta will be exclusive to Gamestop purple monkey dishwasher.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: January 30, 2014, 09:38:42 PM »

Here's a leaked pic of a supposed Titanfall console. 

Source is a claimed MS internal

how reliable is this? 
On top of all that, according to one person familiar with the situation who spoke to me under condition of anonymity, Microsoft is currently trying to track down and identify ntkrnl. According to that person, Microsoft executives are looking to take legal action against ntkrnl, which, again, doesn't mean that everything he says is true.

still, an interesting looking color scheme, although I'm vaguely reminiscing about NES games now

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 30, 2014, 09:57:07 PM »

I saw that thread unfold on GAF and it was a weird deal.  It was a lot of leaks but it was all very pro MS leaks to the point it felt like a controlled leak run by the MS marketing department.  The amount of disparate information over a wide array of time isn't something your average employee would know either, the "leaks" ranged from upcoming software releases, hardware SKUs, to games coming out in 2016.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 04, 2014, 06:22:57 PM »

Finally decided I'm excited enough about this game to cancel my preorder.  retard

What a strange world we love in. (I figure I'll play it long enough that the disc resale value will be negligible compared to the benefits of the digital version.)
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 04, 2014, 06:24:41 PM »

I've gone the other way on it. Not sure I'll be getting it at all...  icon_frown
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 04, 2014, 07:00:45 PM »

Quote from: ATB on February 04, 2014, 06:24:41 PM

I've gone the other way on it. Not sure I'll be getting it at all...  icon_frown

No harm in waiting for impressions, but I'm just astounded at the consistently positive impressions this gets from anyone who gets to try it.

My biggest skepticism when I saw the early videos was in how agile the mechs looked.  I'm a child of the Mechwarrior era, and I like my mechs slow and lumbering.  But after seeing more videos, I get the feeling that the mechs are slow and lumbering relative to how nimble the on-foot soldiers are.  When the soldiers can run leap around over and through buildings, a mech who can't jump and has to be restricted to the streets probably will give me the slow(ish) mech feeling I'm looking for.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 04, 2014, 07:12:31 PM »

They come across more as mecha than mechs, seem even faster than the ones in Hawken.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 04, 2014, 08:01:32 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 04, 2014, 06:22:57 PM

Finally decided I'm excited enough about this game to cancel my preorder.  retard

What a strange world we love in. (I figure I'll play it long enough that the disc resale value will be negligible compared to the benefits of the digital version.)

Did the same thing. Will own digitally like I own Forza and Battlefield 4. Just traded in some old PS3 and 360 games and picked up a $120 in Microsoft gift cards. I'll be good to go come release day, and pretty sure I'll get a season pass if they offer it.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 04, 2014, 08:52:57 PM »

I'm pretty sure I read that Respawn doesn't want to do a season pass.  That said, EA very well may have other ideas.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 04, 2014, 10:10:01 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on February 04, 2014, 07:12:31 PM

They come across more as mecha than mechs, seem even faster than the ones in Hawken.

That's because they're not mechs, says Respawn:

"Mech is kind of a dirty word with us, we donít like it. These arenít mechs," he said. "They are something totally new and different. The Titans are really an extension of the player."

So, you know, they're mechanical suits that fight, but not mechs. Good luck with that.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 04, 2014, 10:15:19 PM »

That's making try and think of what the absolute worst "We Legally Can't Say Mech" alternative mech name is.  Right now the "Hercs" from Missionforce Cyberstorm come to mind.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 04, 2014, 10:24:17 PM »

Mech isn't trademarked, Battlemech is and 'Mech is  ninja
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 04, 2014, 10:26:37 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis EDITED BY FASA on February 04, 2014, 10:24:17 PM

███ isn't trademarked, ██████ is and '████ is  ninja

What isn't trademarked?
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 04, 2014, 10:28:44 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 04, 2014, 10:15:19 PM

That's making try and think of what the absolute worst "We Legally Can't Say Mech" alternative mech name is.  Right now the "Hercs" from Missionforce Cyberstorm come to mind.

Aw, Missionforce: Cyberstorm, that brings back a lot of fond memories. I still have my copy around here somewhere.

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 04, 2014, 10:31:29 PM »

I really liked the first one, but didn't get into the second as much. I thought they did an admirable job of doing Battletech with shields
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: February 04, 2014, 10:41:03 PM »

I liked the Earthsiege games before hand.  scavenging all of your gear from enemies was a great aspect to it.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 04, 2014, 10:42:37 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 04, 2014, 10:15:19 PM

That was part of the Earthsiege universe which included the Earthsiege games, Cyberstorm, and Tribes, which is a bit weird when you think about it.
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 05, 2014, 01:27:30 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 04, 2014, 08:52:57 PM

I'm pretty sure I read that Respawn doesn't want to do a season pass.  That said, EA very well may have other ideas.

I'm sure DLC is on the pipeline, so maybe EA is going to call it "Premium" just like BF4

Semper Fidelis

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 05, 2014, 06:39:10 PM »

Titanfall on the PC will require Origin   I know EA  has made Origin better, but I still refuse to download it... 

Anyway, I'm buying digitally from MS anyway

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 05, 2014, 11:44:18 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on February 05, 2014, 06:39:10 PM

Titanfall on the PC will require Origin   I know EA  has made Origin better, but I still refuse to download it... 

You're buying the Xbox One version digitally?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 06, 2014, 03:17:50 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 05, 2014, 11:44:18 PM

Sure, so am I.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 06, 2014, 03:52:03 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 06, 2014, 03:17:50 AM

Titanfall on the PC will require Origin   I know EA  has made Origin better, but I still refuse to download it...  

Sure, so am I.
I think you missed his point
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 04:21:48 AM by forgeforsaken » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: February 06, 2014, 04:06:33 AM »

Anyone know of any deals for the PC download version?  Maybe a GMG coupon code or something?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 06, 2014, 06:23:36 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on February 06, 2014, 03:52:03 AM

Titanfall on the PC will require Origin   I know EA  has made Origin better, but I still refuse to download it...  

Sure, so am I.

If the joke was supposed to be that Soul will still be downloading the game if he buys it on the Xbone, I think Soul meant he still wouldn't be downloading Origin.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 06, 2014, 02:14:55 PM »

Sure, so am I.

I'm still missing it  retard

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 06, 2014, 03:31:00 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 06, 2014, 02:14:55 PM

Sure, so am I.

He's going to have to deal with origin regardless of where he DL's it.

When I got BF4 it created an account for me...sooooooooooooooooooooooo probably ditto for Titanfall.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 06, 2014, 03:40:44 PM »

Quote from: ATB on February 06, 2014, 03:31:00 PM

Quote from: Teggy on February 06, 2014, 02:14:55 PM

Sure, so am I.

He's going to have to deal with origin regardless of where he DL's it.

When I got BF4 it created an account for me...sooooooooooooooooooooooo probably ditto for Titanfall.

Oh, you mean you have to login to Origin on the Xbone? I don't recall that with BF4 but it's possible. But you don't have to download an Origin client or anything.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 06, 2014, 05:32:54 PM »

You don't have to login...it just does it somehow.

I dunno.

I could be completely wrong, but i didn't have an origin account until BF4.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 06, 2014, 06:22:43 PM »

Even if you do have to log into Origin on a console you still avoid the real annoyance of Origin, which is the Origin PC client.  And the biggest problem people have with the Origin client is that it's not Steam, less so any actual issues with its use.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: February 06, 2014, 10:44:00 PM »

Yeah, I don't have any real reason to dislike the Origin client anymore other than I'd rather just have all my games, friends, etc in one location (Steam).  And Steam has good sales. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 06, 2014, 11:09:37 PM »

360 version delayed for two weeks for "reasons"
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 11, 2014, 03:53:26 AM »

via twitter:

Quote from: Vince Zampella
Good progress. Should be beta news tomorrow. There will be signups. So close!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 11, 2014, 10:51:50 PM »

News from twitter that the beta signups will start at 6pm Pacific tonight, with the signup website to be announced and go online shortly prior.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 12, 2014, 01:02:38 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 11, 2014, 10:51:50 PM

News from twitter that the beta signups will start at 6pm Pacific tonight, with the signup website to be announced and go online shortly prior.
Looks like it's up. if you know where to look..  ninja

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 12, 2014, 01:13:19 AM »

Sweet, thanks.  Why say 6pm and then release early?  Ah well, I got my name in.
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 12, 2014, 01:27:59 AM »

Thanks, put my name in the hat

Semper Fidelis

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 12, 2014, 02:43:36 AM »

The new beta trailer confirms a February 14 start to beta.  "Sorry honey, I really need to spend this Valentine's Day with my online gaming friends..."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: