http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 01:34:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/XB1]Respawn's Titanfall  (Read 17833 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 08, 2014, 02:00:23 PM »

I'm a bit disappointed to hear this, but I'm guessing with more than 6v6 they started getting some version of people sitting around waiting for the next mech to spawn like people waiting for a snazzy vehicle in Battlefield.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: January 08, 2014, 02:13:52 PM »

3v3 would be disappointing.

6v6? That's 12vs12 potential, and half of those are full-sized mechs. If there's stuff to shoot at, I'm good with that - plus with all the agility of a pilot, there is a lot of ground to cover. Overcrowded games don't necessarily make for fun times either.

I like that additional AI is included. It could eliminate the bottom 20% being bored with dying constantly.

Turtle, you say you're sure it's hardware related. Care to expand on that?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 08, 2014, 02:17:49 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 08, 2014, 01:59:14 PM

Quote from: Razgon on January 08, 2014, 09:55:35 AM

well , this few players coupled with all the AI soldiers means I'm not really interested anymore.

Surprised to hear you say this Raz, figured you would be able to at least kill some AI guys slywink

Bastard! ;-)

Well, thinking about it a bit, and hearing some people who have seen it at various expo's, I'm still cautiously optimistic.

A new one
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 08, 2014, 03:31:57 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 08, 2014, 02:00:23 PM

I'm a bit disappointed to hear this, but I'm guessing with more than 6v6 they started getting some version of people sitting around waiting for the next mech to spawn like people waiting for a snazzy vehicle in Battlefield.
Pretty sure every player has their own mech that only they can use.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 08, 2014, 03:53:11 PM »

I believe he's referring to the limit on calling them in.  There seemed to be a lockout in one of the gp vids that you can only have one called in every so often so you might be waiting for a 'drop window' to open to get yours.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: January 08, 2014, 03:57:07 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 08, 2014, 03:53:11 PM

I believe he's referring to the limit on calling them in.  There seemed to be a lockout in one of the gp vids that you can only have one called in every so often so you might be waiting for a 'drop window' to open to get yours.

As soon as a match starts, everyone's timer begins on getting their Titan to fall. If you are doing better, you get "bumped" in the queue and your mech comes down faster.

After every death (or destruction of your mech) your next mech is put in queue to be made - and performance will determine if you get bumped again.

I expect Hark and Kato to be willing to toss mechs into the fray 'cuz they have their own dedicated drop ship.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 08, 2014, 04:30:12 PM »

You're giving me too much benefit of the doubt.  icon_wink  I hadn't read up enough on how the mech spawning game mechanic worked and thought if there were more people than mechs there'd surely be some form of asshattery around the mech spawning process.

Quote from: Purge on January 08, 2014, 02:13:52 PM

6v6? That's 12vs12 potential

What do you mean by that?  By '12vs12 potential' do you mean 6 human + 6 AI on a team or something?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: January 08, 2014, 04:39:06 PM »

No ... I mean that your mech can function without you (guard mode, follow). The explanation of the Titans was that they are like your "mount" - no one can steal them, and they have limited independent capability. I suppose a use for that could be that the entire team park their mechs at their flag on guard mode and go raid the other camp.

Distance limitation is a question. So is what happens to your mech when you're killed outside it.

I don't know how the team AI works (whether they're pilots or "grunts").
I'd like to know if they are in addition to the 6v6 or if they're placeholders for smaller matches.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 06:10:42 PM by Purge » Logged

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 08, 2014, 05:31:13 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 08, 2014, 01:59:14 PM

Quote from: Razgon on January 08, 2014, 09:55:35 AM

well , this few players coupled with all the AI soldiers means I'm not really interested anymore.

Surprised to hear you say this Raz, figured you would be able to at least kill some AI guys slywink

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 08, 2014, 08:35:30 PM »

Quote from: Purge on January 08, 2014, 03:57:07 PM

As soon as a match starts, everyone's timer begins on getting their Titan to fall. If you are doing better, you get "bumped" in the queue and your mech comes down faster.

After every death (or destruction of your mech) your next mech is put in queue to be made - and performance will determine if you get bumped again.

I expect Hark and Kato to be willing to toss mechs into the fray 'cuz they have their own dedicated drop ship.

It's going to be like the old days in COD,... Waiting for our own turn to call in a chopper.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 16, 2014, 12:59:35 PM »

Alpha invites are going out.   You can sign up here

Looks to be XB1 and maybe 360 only

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 16, 2014, 04:12:09 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on January 16, 2014, 12:59:35 PM

Shouldn't this be at least Beta by now?
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 16, 2014, 04:32:48 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on January 16, 2014, 04:12:09 PM

Shouldn't this be at least Beta by now?

Speculation is that betas invites are tied into pre-orders I know I got one for my Amazon order.  They are calling this an Alpha so they don't have to invite everyone that pre-ordered.. Just speculation at this point

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 16, 2014, 06:54:42 PM »

that could apply to a beta as well, doesn't have to be an open beta
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 16, 2014, 07:21:42 PM »

I just signed up and it said

Your application to participate is complete. If you are selected to take part in our upcoming test, you will receive an email in the coming days with a unique code and instructions on how to download and access the game on Xbox One. Thank you!

No mention of the 360

either way after i signed up i noticed i was on the USA page,so likely i wont be selected anyway

I really could do with demoing this game first if there is no single player,I like the sound of it but its still a bit of a leap to buy an online only game for me

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 16, 2014, 07:32:14 PM »

I'm not sure this is open enrollment.  They sent out a bunch of emails, and now everyone is trying to sign up, but I think unless you got the email, it might not matter if you sign up.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 17, 2014, 08:41:46 PM »

drool Titanfall XB1 Controller
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 17, 2014, 11:20:13 PM »

Definitely ordering that controller, and I don't order limited edition controllers. I like the predominantly white color scheme. It would have been so easy for them to go with the typical drab olive green/brown military looking thing, so this was a refreshing surprise.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 18, 2014, 06:13:10 PM »

Wow.  NDA-breaker impressions from the 'alpha' seem to be overwhelmingly positive. 
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 18, 2014, 06:21:42 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 18, 2014, 06:13:10 PM

Wow.  NDA-breaker impressions from the 'alpha' seem to be overwhelmingly positive. 

Sauce?!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: January 18, 2014, 06:51:54 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 18, 2014, 06:21:42 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on January 18, 2014, 06:13:10 PM

Sauce?!

I see more people reacting to people reacting to the alpha than I get to see impressions directly.  Youtube videos of gameplay get removed pretty quickly.  I'll be sure to link anything I find that's stays up, though.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 18, 2014, 06:59:21 PM »

This game in no way feels "thin" or "sparse" due to the 6v6. In fact, it looked really busy and engaging. And I LOVED the creep mechanic. They were worth less points than real pilots, but killing them did count towards winning the match and speeding up titanfall. Killing a pilot makes it happen that much faster. The guy had a minute before titanfall, and one double-kill of two pilots later the titan was ready to drop, a good 45 seconds ahead of schedule.

http://slumz.boxden.com/f13/titanfall-impressions-2027736/
Spoiler for Hiden:
!! an NDA. Wanted to give my first impressions based on the alpha.

6 on 6 bull!!

First of all, this game is fun as hell. I mainly want to address these 6-on-6 trolls who think that somehow makes for a lesser game. If all the videos and posts from industry vets haven't already convinced, let me do it: this game is damn near perfect at 6 on 6.

There's a reason the CoD series got !!ty after MW2. The original niccas who made up infinity ward are responsible for Titanfall. They know what they're doing. This game's balance with the map sizes + all the action is nearly perfect.

Each team has a number of spectres and grunts. Spectres are almost as effective as human players, though obviously not as good. Grunts on the other hand are damn near braindead. I'm hoping they increase the AI for grunts by the time the game launches. But when you combine all of this with 6 players on each side plus the possibility of having titans go out on their own (it's as easy as jumping out of the titan) this game has a lot of !! going on. There's never a dull moment.

So yea, my main point is that the whole 6 vs 6 outcry is completely unwarranted, just like everyone has been saying. People should learn to try a game first before writing it off.

Graphics

I'm not going to lie, this game doesn't have totally eye-popping graphics such as a k#llzone or Battlefield 4 PC on Ultra. That said, it still does look really good, and with all the action going on you will hardly ever think about resolution, texture, etc. I'm the type of person that doesn't care too much for all that anyway, so you may feel differently.

Gameplay

The shooting controls are just about as tight as you'd expect. They really took care to make sure hit detection was spot on. No CoD bull!! really. I haven't tried all the cla##es but they give you a nice balance of guns and weaponry for taking care of titans. I would have liked for more customization of loadouts, but I don't know if they are only limiting us because it's alpha. Either way, you do get a diverse enough set of loadouts that you should be able to find something that fits your own personal play style.

The running and jumping in this game is interesting. You can do wall runs, double jumps and more and use all that to get around the map with relative ease. It makes for some interesting flanking situations that you might not be able to get in other games. The original gameplay trailers and stuff made it look like you had some sort of jetpack on, but it's not the case really. You can stay above ground for a fair amount of time if yous string up your wall runs and double jumps right, but you won't see niccas just floating in mid-air for an eternity or whatever.

Onto the titans: this is probably the most interesting aspect of the game, from both inside the titan itself and if you're going against one. Once you get your titan, you can climb in and basically use its powerful weapons to overwhelm foes. The titan can take a bit of damage, but it doesn't take a lot to take it down if you're not careful. It has its own shield and health bar. Once the shield is depleted, your health is exposed and if you don't find cover to regenerate your shield the titan will explode (you can eject before it happens).

The titan has some dope weapons. The one I used was like a quad rocket that shot out a string of rockets. Really effective for titan vs titan gunf!ghts, but if you see a pack of ground soldiers then there's no way they can handle that (making teamwork that much more important for them).

You can hop out the titan if you want and either let it roam and shoot !! up, or follow and protect you. Your titan can't jump, so there might be situations where you have to get out or go around a building or something. The titan does have evasive dash maneuvers to get out of tight situations, though. I'm not sure if there are other things the titan can do on its own yet, but if there are I'll let you know.

It seems like each titan has its own unique characteristics and bonuses. Some titans might be able to deal and take more damage, while other titans are speedier and have more versatile weapons. Whatever titan you get depends on your loadout and preferences.

Game Modes

The only mode I have seen on the Alpha is Attrition, which is basically team [rip]match. The thing is, you get your titan after a certain amount of time. Like 3.5 minutes, I believe. So everyone will have a chance to get their titan in a match no matter how bad they're doing. But k#lling grunts, soldiers and enemy players will give you what they call attrition points that will speed up the "building" of your titan, so the better you do, the faster you'll be able to use your titan.

At the end of this mode, if you're on the losing side there's an extraction period where you have to try and make it to the extraction point before time runs out. I'm not sure what happens if you do make it (I never made it the one time we did lose). I didn't seem to take any negative points or anything for not making it. If someone else can shed light on this,that'd be dope.

Maps

The couple of maps I've played were very well balanced and didn't seem to give either side a clear advantage. If you go onto an enemy's side, they're likely to have the high point advantage, though there are no huge choke points that are going to get you slaughtered for trying to go in there. Like I said before, multiple entry points and the maneuvering capabilities of your soldier give you ample ways to try and flank and take out enemies, so camping isn't really an issue (though some situations will obviously require more teamwork).

That's all I have for now, really. The game is sick already, and if this is only the alpha test then I can't wait to see what it's like by the time it launches.

https://www.trueachievements.com/gamerblog.aspx?gamerblogid=47812
Spoiler for Hiden:
I received a close alpha invitation from EA to test titanfall. I also posted this on EA's private forum for Alpha Testers:

First of all, thank you EA and Respawn Entertainment for the invitation. Played 7 matches last night, first impressions so far:

Took about 30 minutes to get into a lobby, but once in...

Really fun game. Action is fast-paced and intense, but not so fast paced you feel confused or lost. Gun responsiveness is solid, and I haven't noticed any problems with hit detection. I never once felt like I died from something completely stupid, but that the enemy earned the kill. Classes and weapons are reasonably balanced. Titans don't seem ridiculously overpowered against infantry, I think they got the right balance there. Graphics are solid and the map variety is great for an alpha. I should also mention that once in a match, things like lag and rubberbanding were virtually non-existant. And finally, the part at the end of each match where the losing team has to make it back to extraction point (for an XP boost), with no respawns, is a really nice addition, and makes for some fun moments at the end even when your side lost.

Things I think could be improved:

I don't see the point in having the AI infantry, unless you plan on making them much smarter and hard to beat. Last night I was able to run wide open into a group of 3-4 AI soldiers and kill them with ease, over and over again. And since there is no direct indicator of AI vs. Player combatants, a lot of my deaths last night were me getting gunned down by an enemy player while being distracted with shooting the AI enemies. I'd almost prefer there be no AI intanfry, but if there must be, make them a lot tougher and smarter. And an indicator of whether they are AI or a human player will make prioritizing who to engage a lot easier.

The line that displays with the name of the gun you are using every time you respawn isn't necessary.

Bugs:

For about 3-4 matches in a row, my gamertag next to a speaker icon, indicating I'm talking into my headset, was displayed on the screen for the entire match, even when I had my headset muted (and no, my kinect mic is not on). And when this was happening, the screen would not display anyone else's names, even when my teammates were talking. Not a major concern, just posting so the devs are aware.

That is the only real marks I have against the game. Overall, a solid alpha and it has me super excited for march. I just hope the servers and connectivity is stable upon release.

Thanks again EA and Respawn,

-Killrnut

It seems like the AI dudes running around really can be thought of as MOBA-style creeps you can farm if desired.  The complaint in that last impression above about getting gunned down while farming AI grunts sounds awesome.  You get a player trying to farm creeps for a quicker Titan, and you take him out while he's distracted and get your Titan even faster because you took out a player character.  Sounds perfect.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 19, 2014, 07:26:10 PM »

Alpha gameplay videos:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x19x14l_titanfall-alpha-gameplay_videogames

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x19x61p_tf_videogames
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 19, 2014, 07:39:05 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 19, 2014, 07:26:10 PM

cool vids,thanks for the links

At first it looks a lot like your typical COD ...Gameplay it looks like it plays like COD and maybe a bit of Crackdown with the jumping..then the Titans come in

do they have to have all that info appearing in the middle of the screen(level up,challenge completed etc)?

The Map looks decent enough,decent size,buildings

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 19, 2014, 11:25:52 PM »

I kind of gave up on Black Ops 2 and didn't bother with Ghosts, but so far I'm interested in Titanfall. The maps do look sizable. I'd be getting it for the X360; will I be missing content or qualities that are only on Next Gen?

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 20, 2014, 12:03:26 AM »

I don't know if there's much info about the 360 version, except I'm pretty sure they're outsourcing the porting of that version to another company. I'd be a little cautious before buying that version until more news/reviews/impressions hit.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 20, 2014, 11:26:59 AM »

Game looks pretty awesome but unfortunately it doesn't look my my style of game. It's a little bit too run 'n' gun. I was hoping for something a little slower and more tactical.  COD fans are sure to love it though.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 20, 2014, 12:36:39 PM »

The clincher for me is going to be the challenge/level up/perk mechanics. I need that RPG hook in my multiplayer shooters to keep my interest. I have no interest in K/D ratios or bragging rights. But tell me I can't have that awesome gun until I get 250 kills, and I'm all over it.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 20, 2014, 01:17:29 PM »

people are weird slywink
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: January 20, 2014, 03:48:31 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 20, 2014, 01:17:29 PM

people are weird slywink

yup. 

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: January 20, 2014, 03:57:24 PM »

was hoping for a decent SP campaign.  with that, the smaller mp and skipping out on PS4, I'm out.  I do like the extraction phase though.

and the game looks slick too. 

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 20, 2014, 04:07:33 PM »

Quote from: Caine on January 20, 2014, 03:57:24 PM

was hoping for a decent SP campaign.  with that, the smaller mp and skipping out on PS4, I'm out.  I do like the extraction phase though.

I've heard that there's an SP MP campaign if that makes sense. 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: January 20, 2014, 04:13:11 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 20, 2014, 04:07:33 PM

yeah, I heard that too. 

it's understandable considering that the majority of players don't finish the SP game, but regrettable to me as they could have really had something different in a campaign instead of the usual CoD Bay-splosion and FP death scene-fest.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 20, 2014, 04:17:47 PM »

Quote from: Caine on January 20, 2014, 04:13:11 PM

Quote from: ATB on January 20, 2014, 04:07:33 PM

yeah, I heard that too. 

it's understandable considering that the majority of players don't finish the SP game, but regrettable to me as they could have really had something different in a campaign instead of the usual CoD Bay-splosion and FP death scene-fest.

Well even if it had SP you can be sure it was going to be "the usual CoD Bay-splosion and FP death scene-fest."

I hope they release a PC demo, really not sure about it and would like to play it before making a buying decision. This still looks very CoD in a lot of ways and more of that kind of competitive FPS just doesn't interest me much these days (or really competitive FPSs in general.)
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 20, 2014, 04:23:00 PM »

I prefer a slower game than COD and this does look just as fast, but I think what makes that 'ok' to me is the level of mobility you have.  I miss running on walls in Brink.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 20, 2014, 04:35:46 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 20, 2014, 04:23:00 PM

I prefer a slower game than COD and this does look just as fast,.

Getting old? ;-)

Honestly, what little I've seen of this game tells me its directed mainly at the COD group, which is fine, but not for me. For some reason, I thought the game was something else, i.e. a slower more tactical experience since it featured Titans, but I can  see I was wrong. I guess I should have known, based on who the developers are, though.

A new one
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 20, 2014, 04:46:59 PM »

I do find it kind of funny that calling in Titan is sort of like calling in a care package. From the video though, it looks like the process is a lot quicker and from what I understand no one can steal your Titan, so it limits the downsides.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 20, 2014, 07:02:00 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 20, 2014, 04:35:46 PM

Getting old? ;-)

Honestly, what little I've seen of this game tells me its directed mainly at the COD group, which is fine, but not for me. For some reason, I thought the game was something else, i.e. a slower more tactical experience since it featured Titans, but I can  see I was wrong. I guess I should have known, based on who the developers are, though.

I am getting older, but I've always prefered the slower paced shooters like R6.  (can still beat you in any of them, so hush)
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 20, 2014, 07:11:55 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 20, 2014, 07:02:00 PM

Quote from: Razgon on January 20, 2014, 04:35:46 PM

Getting old? ;-)

I am getting older, but I've always prefered the slower paced shooters like R6.  (can still beat you in any of them, so hush)

How come you're not BF4ing?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 21, 2014, 12:45:44 AM »

not into the vehicle spam, or server issues, or constant crashes, or not being able to reliably play with friends  ninja  (oh yeah, and weapon balance is bizarre)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: