http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 11:48:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/XB1]Respawn's Titanfall  (Read 17095 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2013, 09:28:20 AM »

Nope, one of the aspects of the deal they made is that Titanfall is Respawns IP, but apparently all publishing right for this first go is with EA and the initial deal they made with MS. It was initially supposed to be a 1 year thing, then EA took their publishing rights and I guess sold wholesale to MS, most likely recently.

Great for EA and its flailing finances, bad for Respawn if their contract only mentioned sales revenue or something.

Remember, IP issues is exactly why these ex-Infinity Warders left in the first place, along with not being properly paid. And now, they're not being properly paid again.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2013, 09:28:49 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 30, 2013, 09:15:52 AM

Quote from: Razgon on October 30, 2013, 09:11:06 AM

Since they say its only the first game which is an exclusive, I'd think they have the rights still for future games, but who knows.

That doesn't have anything to do with Respawn's rights. It's about EA's deal with Microsoft, which is limited to one title and doesn't give Microsoft rights to the franchise. In almost all publisher/developer relationships, the publisher owns the rights, not the developer.

since they seem to be ruling out that it will happen for a sequel, the rights seems to be with them, correct?

A new one
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2013, 11:29:16 AM »

In these deals, pubs are the ones to front the cash - and Respawn is getting paid. They may own the games IP, but the deal for publishing rights over the next X games or Y years may have already been decided.

TitanFall is available for 3 platforms - one that has seen well over 70 million sales. At this point, there is not a snowballs chance in hell that the "next-gen" consoles will be able to match that footprint in the next year, unless something akin to the Wii success happens and draws in non-gamers. I'll give you two guesses as to who's positioning themselves for that. slywink

To sell to the PS owners (3,4) is certainly a larger market than the "exclusive" one, but given the number of sales we could see over the next 3 months, the bigger market is by far the current gen, and there is a ton of overlap between the game consoles.

The other advantage is that Respawn can REALLY focus on the platform, and not skip functions that would otherwise need to be stripped to be console agnostic (Kinect, smartglass, Azure, etc).

It gives me hope that this game won't end up being watered down to the lowest common program denominators.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 11:33:18 AM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2013, 12:03:13 PM »

That would be true if there wasn't a PC version. I'm ignoring the 360 version as that's being farmed out.   The advantage for Respawn going XB1 exclusive for their first game is more about reducing testing and programming requirements for a startup studio.  Though I suspect some of those decisions were made before it was known how similar PS4 and XB1 are architecturally. Co-marketing dollars probably help reduce a lot of risk too.   

As to being full exclusive v. timed there are probably not as many lost sales as one would think.  Historically games that were timed exclusive for a year or more haven't exactly sold gangbusters when finally released for the other platform.   Look at the original Bioshock as an example and its sales when it finally released on PS3.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2013, 12:40:11 PM »

History is riddled with PC titles that don't exactly match their console version feature for feature.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2013, 01:31:12 PM »

If MS locked up the exclusive status, there isn't a doubt that it's being developed primarily with the Xbox One in mind. The Windows version may suffer portitis.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2013, 01:31:23 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 30, 2013, 03:59:56 AM

msduncan - your boom post (and it's spawned responses) would be better in the console pit of doom (aka 30 days thread) to keep this console war nonsense from infecting other threads. I asked Hetz the same earlier - and I ask this as a member - I'm not a forum mod. smile

Back to GIANT MECHS DOING BATTLE WITH SQUISHY MEATBAGS.

In case you guys didn't know this, mechs are said to not be "stealable". They are matched to you only. Some videos also show there are some basic remote functions that can be issued to it even when you're not inside.

I really only posted it because for some reason I absolutely love that Denzel Boom gif.    It's used widely on the Alabama forums when we pick up a big commit or if something bad happens to Auburn.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2013, 01:36:04 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 30, 2013, 01:31:23 PM

msduncan - your boom post (and it's spawned responses) would be better in the console pit of doom (aka 30 days thread) to keep this console war nonsense from infecting other threads. I asked Hetz the same earlier - and I ask this as a member - I'm not a forum mod. smile

In case you guys didn't know this, mechs are said to not be "stealable". They are matched to you only. Some videos also show there are some basic remote functions that can be issued to it even when you're not inside.

I really only posted it because for some reason I absolutely love that Denzel Boom gif.    It's used widely on the Alabama forums when we pick up a big commit or if something bad happens to Auburn.

its also incredibly counter-productive to the general mood and people talk to each other in these forums. I'd like to second Purge's excellent suggestion.

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2013, 01:41:32 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on October 30, 2013, 12:40:11 PM

History is riddled with PC titles that don't exactly match their console version feature for feature.
true dat.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2013, 01:41:48 PM »

edit: Woops, thought I was in the "30 days until launch" thread.  Here I'll just say "ooh, this news really ups the Xbone appeal for me."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2013, 01:42:48 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 30, 2013, 01:31:12 PM

If MS locked up the exclusive status, there isn't a doubt that it's being developed primarily with the Xbox One in mind. The Windows version may suffer portitis.
or be Windows 8 exclusive.

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2013, 01:43:47 PM »

If I could just say one more thing about the console wars.     The thing I've learned in this thread and other game specific threads:

1.  If it's a PS4 exclusive like Naughty Dog, etc.   It's OMGZZ AWESOME EXCLUSIVE AND XBONE ISN'T GETTING IT!!!!! WOOOOO MFER WOOOOO!

2.  If it's a Xbone exclusive:    Bah!   The other exclusives are better because they are more exclusively exclusive.      Oh, and poor poor Respawn.   It's a damned crime what MS is doing to them making them only sell it on Xbone.  

The bias and clearly obvious double standards on what is being posted about these two consoles here in these forums is obvious and sickening perhaps to everyone except those who are participating in the boiisms.    I've just recently had enough of it to start running the football right up the gut when it comes to taking on this behavior.     I'm buying both consoles.    PS4 is fantastic.    Xbone is awesome.    Both will have long successful runs.   I'm tired of being warned that I'm flushing $500 down the toilet based on internet rumors and sitting through negative spins on positive information on Xbone.

Yellowking has been reaching his limit as well.    

Ok.    Back to giant robots that follow you around killing your opponents.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2013, 01:45:56 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on October 30, 2013, 01:36:04 PM

its also incredibly counter-productive to the general mood and people talk to each other in these forums. I'd like to second Purge's excellent suggestion.

Good.   I can count on you to stop pooping on every bit of good Xbone news and celebrating unproven internet rumors about the Xbone.     I welcome this change.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2013, 01:47:26 PM »

I don't think Raz has been pooping....

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2013, 01:48:40 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 30, 2013, 01:45:56 PM

Good.   I can count on you to stop pooping on every bit of good Xbone news and celebrating unproven internet rumors about the Xbone.     I welcome this change.

saywhat
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 30, 2013, 01:50:39 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 30, 2013, 01:48:40 PM

Good.   I can count on you to stop pooping on every bit of good Xbone news and celebrating unproven internet rumors about the Xbone.     I welcome this change.

saywhat

Is that your pooping expression, because you are suspect #1.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2013, 01:52:04 PM »

I think perhaps you got me confused with someone else?

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2013, 01:54:28 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 30, 2013, 01:50:39 PM

Have you gone completely insane? I have no idea what you're talking about and who you're telling it to any more. Do you even know?
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2013, 02:03:55 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 30, 2013, 01:54:28 PM

Quote from: msduncan on October 30, 2013, 01:50:39 PM

Have you gone completely insane? I have no idea what you're talking about and who you're telling it to any more. Do you even know?

As I said earlier:

Seriously, both sides are guilty.  Give it a fucking rest already.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2013, 02:07:04 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on October 30, 2013, 01:52:04 PM

I think so.   My apologies.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2013, 02:09:33 PM »

I'm all out of bandaids, but I could run to the store.  Please guys, let's get back to mechs and pilots -no more here, k? Take it to PMs or the 30 days thread.

Also, once these consoles are released, Imma gonna ask the mods to lock it and nuke it from orbit. slywink I keed, I keed.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2013, 02:25:21 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 30, 2013, 02:07:04 PM

Quote from: Razgon on October 30, 2013, 01:52:04 PM

I really only posted it because for some reason I absolutely love that Denzel Boom gif.    It's used widely on the Alabama forums when we pick up a big commit or if something bad happens to Auburn.

I think so.   My apologies.

see?  Raz no poop, he's been the constipated gentleman.

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2013, 02:40:22 PM »

Well from here on out it's surely being developed with the Xbone in mind, but from the reaction from Respawn it seems clear that it was intended to be multiplatform up until just now.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2013, 03:18:38 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 30, 2013, 01:42:48 PM

or be Windows 8 exclusive.

MS would have to have doubled down to have that restriction. I'm sure this is still an Origin release, and while I'm not ruling it out, I doubt it has a Win8x requirement.

Speaking of versions, we're only at 8.1.

I look forward to Windows 9.5

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2013, 03:21:50 PM »

Imagine if it had a Kinect requirement for PC! paranoid
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2013, 03:28:08 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 30, 2013, 03:18:38 PM

I look forward to Windows 9.5

hopefully they ditch Metro by then biggrin

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2013, 03:30:54 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on October 30, 2013, 03:21:50 PM

Imagine if it had a Kinect requirement for PC! paranoid

"Respawn Entertainment is excited to announce the reason for the delay of Titan Fall's launch: a new last minute partnership with the makers of Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor!  Titan Fall will now be *ow* featuring all the *ow, what the heck?* great Kinect controls you-- *why do you keep kicking me?*"
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2013, 03:32:47 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 30, 2013, 03:30:54 PM

"Respawn Entertainment is excited to announce the reason for the delay of Titan Fall's launch: a new last minute partnership with the makers of Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor!  Titan Fall will now be *ow* featuring all the *ow, what the heck?* great Kinect controls you-- *why do you keep kicking me?*"

just imagine full body movement to control the mech, with it imitating your every move.  MOONWALKING MECHS!

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2013, 03:34:19 PM »

"Why is that mech fiddling with its codpiece?"

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2013, 03:34:47 PM »

icon_lol

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2013, 03:35:33 PM »

or even better:

'why is that mech having a seizure?'

'oh, that's Kato.  he must have had a spider crawl on him.'

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2013, 05:10:43 PM »

Heh. All that salt.

Yes poor respawn.

All I said was that I'm otherwise okay with it since Sony does the same.

But by all means msd, keep trying to pretend you're not part of the console war problem you complain about.

I'd call these mecha, only because stupid battletech has a registered trademark on mech. Definitely not powered armor though. ;-)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 05:13:41 PM by Turtle » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2013, 05:46:21 PM »

Please, please, please? Please keep this out of here?

My concerns for Titanfall is that though they talk about single-player events happen in multiplayer is that the combat and objective based elements don't grow too tiresome.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 30, 2013, 06:09:19 PM »

apparently mech isn't trademarked, just 'mech and battlemech and mechwarrior
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 30, 2013, 07:53:21 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 30, 2013, 05:10:43 PM

Heh. All that salt.

Yes poor respawn.

All I said was that I'm otherwise okay with it since Sony does the same.

But by all means msd, keep trying to pretend you're not part of the console war problem you complain about.

I'd call these mecha, only because stupid battletech has a registered trademark on mech. Definitely not powered armor though. ;-)

I'm buying both.   Just as I can tell when one of my kids is being treated differently by their grandparents, I can also tell when one of my future consoles are.    Just sayin'.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 30, 2013, 10:13:44 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 30, 2013, 06:09:19 PM

we cold always call them meks.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2013, 05:21:24 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 30, 2013, 10:13:44 PM

*Ring, ring!*

It's for you, CeeKay. Games Workshop would like to have a word with you.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 31, 2013, 06:22:23 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 31, 2013, 05:21:24 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 30, 2013, 10:13:44 PM

*Ring, ring!*

It's for you, CeeKay. Games Workshop would like to have a word with you.

heh, not familiar enough with their stuff.  How about.... Titans? 

slywink

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: October 31, 2013, 06:36:44 AM »

You know what I really want? Platforms be damned?

Mod the PC version of this to be anime style mecha and soldiers.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2013, 06:46:09 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 31, 2013, 06:36:44 AM

You know what I really want? Platforms be damned?

Mod the PC version of this to be anime style mecha and soldiers.

I'm so happy you are not in charge ;-)

A new one
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: