http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 08:09:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PC/Wii/PS3] The Amazing Spider-Man - GT Review is up!  (Read 1459 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2011, 03:57:01 AM »

looks like Spider-Man is going back to an open world environment if the video on the main website is any indication.  on the plus side it's not going to be set during the movie, but it's set to take place afterwards.

according to Kotaku there may also be first person sequences, which kind of makes sense if you've seen the trailer for the actual movie-  it had some scenes reminiscent of Mirror's Edge.  in any case hopefully it'll be more like Shattered Dimensions in terms of quality and less like Edge of Time.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 08:13:06 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 04:21:24 PM »

hope its as good as the Spidey game i played on Xbox 1,i loved swinging through the city using the Left and Right Triggers

from the short Vid,the city looks a bit bland,i am wondering whether that is gameplay

I just put Shattered Dimensions on my rental list,see how that is

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 12:31:01 AM »

Rhino is looking mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bn86j8afAo

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 10:36:49 PM »

IGN preview.  my interest level just went up a bit:

From the ceiling, Spider-Man could hang and use a new power called "web rush" to execute stealth takedowns. Each enemy has a color indicator to specify their awareness of ol' webhead. And if you choose, Spidey can throw himself right into the fray with Arkham City-like attacks (complete with a multiplier counter and similar dodge counters). Heck, if you suck, Spider-Man takes damage and his suit degrades over time. Sound familiar?

Web rush is another new introduction developer Beenox is touting. It is a mode Spidey enters for the sake of slowing down time to make navigation decisions. With one button press, the game displays a destination Spider-Man can parkour and websling to with a yellow icon. This can come in handy if you quickly want to get to precise locations. A Beenox developer took Spidey from a rooftop to the top of a lamp post without having to manually direct the hero. By continuously mashing the web rush button, Spider-Man quickly maneuvered through Manhattan. Right now, the web rush movements look too jerky and unnatural when used this quickly. I was told that players will have a cool down period in retail version of the game, but the ability is upgradable.

hopefully they can refine the animations- they have some time to do so.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 06:40:54 PM »

looks like the PS3 version will have Move controls:

while it could be cool for web slinging around the city, I imagine you'd be awfully sore after an extended session.  I remember being slightly sore after playing Spider-Man 3 on the Wii and that used the Wii-mote for swinging about.

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 07:02:49 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 26, 2012, 06:40:54 PM

looks like the PS3 version will have Move controls:

while it could be cool for web slinging around the city, I imagine you'd be awfully sore after an extended session.  I remember being slightly sore after playing Spider-Man 3 on the Wii and that used the Wii-mote for swinging about.

My Spidey-metacarpals are tingling!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 12:38:39 PM »

CVG Preview

Part Prototype Part Arkham City

we said the first film trailer looked like Mirrors edge,well that's what i think of when i see this screenshot(if you took out Spidey Tongue)

guess it's the whiteness of the buildings that does it

not much of a preview actually,only 5 paragraphs,and here's two
It's at this point that The Amazing Spider-Man becomes extraordinarily reminiscent of the action in Rocksteady's Arkham City - with you dancing around the ceiling as worried AI foes pad around beneath you, encouraging you to take them out one by one. The similarities don't end when you leap down to duke it out either, with Spidey having to time attacks, counters and multi-goon takedowns as the hoodlums crowd around him. Of course, it's natural that every superhero game will now be compared to the ace Batman games

It's rare that being a film tie-in genuinely frees up a game but The Amazing Spider-Man (set during the aftermath of the film's rebooted origin story) looks to be a neat blend of open world and mission-by-mission narrative. Whether this version of Manhattan has enough content to rival the likes of Prototype 2 is unlikely, but it certainly looks a fine companion piece to the origin story so good they filmed it twice.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 08:28:13 PM »

I was going to wait on reviews, but then I saw this interview with Bruce Campbell and it pushed me over the edge.  The open world got me out the window and the free Stan Lee DLC got me to the edge:

how could anyone pass up a chance to play as Stan 'The Man' Lee?

Because I can,
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 09:17:31 PM »

Why is that pre-order notice paired with a picture of Spider-Rumsfeld?

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 07:03:32 PM »

Ron has his review up.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 07:31:16 PM »

if it wasn't for Skyrim DLC and the fact that i still have so much to do in Dragons Dogma i would be picking this up,sounds great

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 08:49:24 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 26, 2012, 07:03:32 PM

Ron has his review up.

Interesting...it actually sounds good!
siege

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 08:56:12 PM »

Its pretty fun. Definitely a rental unless youre a big Spiderman fan. The Arkham games are obviously a huge influence for the developer.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 09:03:06 PM »

Quote from: siege on June 26, 2012, 08:56:12 PM

Its pretty fun. Definitely a rental unless youre a big Spiderman fan. The Arkham games are obviously a huge influence for the developer.

that and I was getting a definite Prototype vibe at the beginning.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 02:08:19 AM »

sounds good.  like Spec OPS though, I will be waiting a bit as there are a ton of games on my plate still before I add any more new ones. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 11:31:25 PM »

finally got back to this after finishing Dragon's Dogma and unlocked a bunch of costumes this weekend.  so far I've found: FF Spidey, Scarlet Spider, Classic Spidey (circa Spider-Man 1) and Classic Black Spidey (circa Spider-Man 3).  apparently the logos that unlock the costumes appear over time-  I heard about the location of another one, but when I couldn't find it I looked it up and saw that to find it now you need to change the date on the 360 or just wait.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 04:02:25 AM »

and finished.  not too bad, haven't seen the movie yet but I'm sure the game blows it away.  the interesting part will be if they make the game canon in the movie continuity, or if they just agreed to let Beenox develop the story but have no intention to pay attention to what they did.

oh, and there were a few instances where you can tell they wanted to use Doc Ock but I'm guessing were told they couldn't.

all in all pretty fun, even though the side missions in the open city got a bit repetitive.  also, some of the boss fights were a bit too obscure on what needed to be done.  in his review Ron mentions that, during the end fight, you have a mash X to not die moment, yet the game doesn't hint that when you fail you can web rush to save yourself.  it's funny, the game can be overly helpful most of the time except those.

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 05:14:27 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 27, 2012, 04:02:25 AM

and finished.  not too bad, haven't seen the movie yet but I'm sure the game blows it away.  the interesting part will be if they make the game canon in the movie continuity, or if they just agreed to let Beenox develop the story but have no intention to pay attention to what they did.

oh, and there were a few instances where you can tell they wanted to use Doc Ock but I'm guessing were told they couldn't.

all in all pretty fun, even though the side missions in the open city got a bit repetitive.  also, some of the boss fights were a bit too obscure on what needed to be done.  in his review Ron mentions that, during the end fight, you have a mash X to not die moment, yet the game doesn't hint that when you fail you can web rush to save yourself.  it's funny, the game can be overly helpful most of the time except those.

You hit on every point I put in my review.  Glad to see I wasn't the only one....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 11:31:44 AM »

4 lots of DLC are up on PSN today

2 of them are the Pre-Order DLC(Rhino and Stan Lee)

The first of the new DLC packs is called The Lizard Rampage Pack, and gives players control of The Lizard as he attempts to thwart Oscorp's plan to release a virus in Manhattan. The Lizard can attack foes with his tail and claws during combat, which should provide a nice change of pace for web-slinging veterans. The Lizard Rampage Pack also contains an alternate Vigilante Spider-Man costume for Spidey, as seen in The Amazing Spider-Man movie.

The Oscorp Search & Destroy Pack is the second DLC offering, and allows you to play two arcade-style minigames on your in-game smartphone while investigating crime in Manhattan. The games are based on Snake and Space Invaders, but are tied to Spider-Man lore via some nonsense about Oscorp and Gwen you can read the full explanation in Gravel's post.

The Rhino Challenge Pack was originally a pre-order bonus, but will be available to everyone tomorrow. It allows you to use Rhino's powers to destroy cars and cause as much mayhem as possible within a given time limit; players can compete against their friends via the DLC's online leaderboards.

Now forget everything I told you, because I saved the best DLC pack for last. It's the Stan Lee Adventure Pack, another former pre-order exclusive that puts you in the shoes of Stan Lee. But with Spider-Man powers. Basically, you swing around Manhattan collecting pages of his script, while the actual Stan Lee offers up lame jokes and puns. As far as I'm concerned, this should be a DLC option for every game.

Beenox says that each DLC pack will be between $3 and $4, but you can buy all four for $10. Relax, Beenox: You had me at Stan Lee.

GameInformer

Not sure about XBL or whether they already have it

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 11:34:15 PM »

they're also out on Steam.  the two new ones look kinda dumb (and the Rhino one doesn't look much better); I got the Stan Lee pack for free and I still feel like I paid too much for it.

seriously Beenox, if you're going to do DLC add in some more Spider-Man missions.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:38:53 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: