http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 02:06:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360 + PS3]LucasArts 'Fracture'  (Read 2015 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2007, 02:05:29 PM »

coming mid 2008,not THE 3rd person shooter i am waiting for(still no word on battlefront 3),but a new 3rd person shooter in the name of 'Fracture'...this picture shows that maybe this game will have some good Live Online Action...but maybe the screenshots show that it looks as though its leaning a little too much towards halo 2...thats what i reckon anyhow

looks okay...but what i really want is BF3...tell us now Lucas,you bearded t&*t..when is it out?

anyway,here are some details on Fracture

'Fracture advances players to the year 2161, where ecological and seismological disasters have radically altered the planet’s landscape, and a clash in ideologies places society on the threshold of war. Players set foot on the frontlines of this epic conflict in the role of Mason Briggs, a demolitions expert fighting for the Atlantic Alliance, the side that relies upon cybernetic enhancement. Pitted against the genetically enhanced soldiers of the Pacifican army, players will experience a revolution in 22nd-century warfare. In utilizing the core gameplay mechanic of Fracture, a destructive next-generation technology known as Terrain Deformation, players are equipped with an arsenal of futuristic weaponry to strategically reshape their surroundings on the fly.

Every action they perform dynamically reshapes the earth in ways no videogame has ever seen. When Briggs throws a tectonic grenade on a level battlefield, the ground blasts upward to provide access to an otherwise unreachable area. Moving on, when he comes across what appears to be an impenetrable structure, Briggs utilizes the alt-fire functionality on his rocket launcher to create enormous craters to burrow underneath the wall. Surrounded on all sides by enemies, Briggs heaves a vortex grenade, creating a swirling tornado-like mass of boulder, dirt and debris to dispatch his foes. These are just a few samples of the possibilities for Terrain Deformation. Players not only change the battlefield – they change the face of the battle itself. '

more details here

fracture

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 02:11:48 PM »

sounds gimmicky.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 02:27:36 PM »

Sounds very interesting and looks very good graphically, but that setting is pretty damn unoriginal at this point. Even the names for the sides are something you could find in just about any book. Change it up!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 03:29:04 PM »

The video makes it look pretty damn cool: http://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=23641

I like the idea of using the terraforming to get to new areas.  As long as it's not all linear choices.

I wish the vid showed someone using terraforming on you.  I'd like to see how that works.

This is from the Mechassault guys, so color me interested.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 03:36:49 PM »

The rest of the screens, the announcement, and a local mirror to the video are on the front page folks. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 05:14:26 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 03, 2007, 03:36:49 PM

The rest of the screens, the announcement, and a local mirror to the video are on the front page folks. smile

There's a front page??   icon_eek
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 05:36:49 PM »

I just saw the movie Fracture last night, so I keep thinking this is a game based off the movie, hehe.

As far as the game goes, Red Faction did this one the PS2 over five years ago. I absolutely love how developers try to take old features, add some new bells and whistles, and call it something new and exciting.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 05:40:11 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 05:41:44 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on May 03, 2007, 05:36:49 PM

I just saw the movie Fracture last night, so I keep thinking this is a game based off the movie, hehe.

As far as the game goes, Red Faction did this one the PS2 over five years ago. I absolutely love how developers try to take old features, add some new bells and whistles, and call it something new and exciting.

Red Faction was more about destructable environments.  The kind of terraforming they're doing has been around forever, yes, but they're doing new things with it.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 06:58:10 PM »

Hate the main character design.  The video does look cool but I get the feeling this will be like Red Faction, where the deformation stuff has to get limited to the point where it feels very artificial.  Tough feature to implement because you can only allow the player to alter a level so much before it crosses a boundary between what's fun and what's just a big mess.  I'm sure they will have lots of impressive set pieces where they show it off, like the pillar in that video.  Could be fun.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 07:25:54 PM »

Quote from: kathode on May 03, 2007, 06:58:10 PM

Hate the main character design.  The video does look cool but I get the feeling this will be like Red Faction, where the deformation stuff has to get limited to the point where it feels very artificial.  Tough feature to implement because you can only allow the player to alter a level so much before it crosses a boundary between what's fun and what's just a big mess.  I'm sure they will have lots of impressive set pieces where they show it off, like the pillar in that video.  Could be fun.

As I said in my post, it isn't the first game to do it, but it is the prettiest.  I seem to recall another upcoming next-gen title that has this sort of thing in it.  Supposedly, with the right hardware, you can level almost every building in the level.  I'll have to think on it and get back to ya...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 07:50:27 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 03, 2007, 07:25:54 PM

Quote from: kathode on May 03, 2007, 06:58:10 PM

As I said in my post, it isn't the first game to do it, but it is the prettiest.  I seem to recall another upcoming next-gen title that has this sort of thing in it.  Supposedly, with the right hardware, you can level almost every building in the level.  I'll have to think on it and get back to ya...

I have been reading more and looking at more screens and other than Kathodes very valid point about the destructable terrain issue I really like the way it looks-more excited now for sure.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 07:53:50 PM »

They're never on the verge of peace. how unoriginal.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 07:30:18 AM »

well the video was somewhat impressive.  This one may bear watching afterall.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 01:19:56 AM »

Demo is out on Live. Kind of short but lets you try a lot of the weapons and play with the deformable terrain. I'm intrigued.

The one thing I was a little concerned with was the lack of feedback when shooting the enemies and the way they blended in with the environment.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 01:30:23 AM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 03:49:01 AM »

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 03:52:34 AM »

wow,i can't believe this thread was first made over a year ago!!(was it really that long ago)

as for the demo,yup i played it the other day...not bad,but with the onslaught of games oncoming,this has as much chance getting on my list as Samus Aran and Master Chief have of getting it on saywhat

made me laugh when the bad guy said 'still taking orders from that Ring Knocker'..or something to that effect...my eyebrows were raised then i can tell you,especially as it was a demo

the up and down terrain stuff was cool,for a single player,online (unlike what i said in my first post)...it makes me feel like it could just be a mess with everyone messing about with the terrain everywhere...not even sure if there is online,but still

nice PA strip.. icon_biggrin

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 05:01:29 AM »

I had a  lot of fun with the demo until it froze on me toward the end.  Of course, it could mean the RROD is looming, but for now I'm blaming the demo.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2008, 01:05:25 PM »

Demo didn't do much for me. A year ago, maybe.  Now, not so much.  But I liked it 10x more than the Mercenaries demo.  God, am I glad I didn't keep that copy I got early.  I hated that. 

Like someone indicated above, with the soon onslaught of what many consider top-shelf games (Gears 2, Far Cry 2, Mirror's Edge, etc) this one will not be touched by me til this time next year I reckon when I see it for $9.99 at KMart clearance section.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2008, 02:20:04 PM »

Outside of the raising and lowering of terrain which seemed interesting this game just screams GENERIC! As soon as I saw your usual generic futuristic military guy in his bland Halo-like armor talking to his gruff commander it was like *sigh* here we go again...
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2008, 04:47:44 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 21, 2008, 03:52:34 AM

the up and down terrain stuff was cool,for a single player,online (unlike what i said in my first post)...it makes me feel like it could just be a mess with everyone messing about with the terrain everywhere...not even sure if there is online,but still

nice PA strip.. icon_biggrin

It has 12 player online, although I'm not sure if that's per side or total. I played this demo right after playing the Mercenaries 2 demo and I must say I enjoyed this demo much more. I thought the demo was a bit too linear and hand-held, but it was very polished which might be a good sign for the game to come. It's apparent that the gameplay centers around a tech gimmick, but it's still an interesting premise and looks to be well implemented. I do agree that the rest of the game looks to be another space marines theme knock-off. If the reviews are 1/2 decent I'll at least rent this and play the SP campaign. 
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2008, 05:12:01 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on September 21, 2008, 01:05:25 PM

Demo didn't do much for me. A year ago, maybe.  Now, not so much. 

Funny you should say that.
When I saw Fracture a year ago, I was blown away by it.
Seeing it at conference again this year, it didn't really distinguish itself from some
of the other titles on the way, many of which look amazing. My guess is that it will
be solid, but there's no buzz at all about it that I've seen.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2008, 04:21:51 AM »

IGN gave it a 5.9.  Ouch.

What sucks is that Fracture could've been good. LucasArts and Day 1 Studios have this awesome idea of modifying the terrain to advance through the game, but they never capitalize on it. Creating cover on the fly was neat the few times I needed to use it but the fact that the terrain deformation is so limited means there's nothing to make this title stand out. The vortex grenades are cool and the multiplayer is fun, but the overall lack of polish, originality, and characterization hold this title back from being something you need to spend $60 on.

Fracture isn't a train wreck or anything; it's just generic and forgettable.

I have to say the review sounds like the same kind a lot of FPS games were getting at the beginning of this year, after the phenomenal fall we'd had.  Games that were actually halfway decent were getting awful scores.  Maybe Fracture is awful, but it sounds like it just does it's job.

Other reviews from non-major sites (and a 78% from Team Xbox, if that counts) have it averaging 80% on Gamerankings.

Then Destructoid gave it a 20%...

I don't need another game right now, so I'll pass, but I'm curious to see if this'd work in the summer as a used game.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 04:25:58 AM by Bullwinkle » Logged

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2008, 06:01:24 AM »

I actually liked the demo.  The audio was fantastic, too.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008, 12:51:29 PM »

made me laugh when the bad guy said 'still taking orders from that Ring Knocker'..or something to that effect...my eyebrows were raised then i can tell you,especially as it was a demo

Does "Ring Knocker" have some kind of really crude meaning in the UK?  Because here it's just a somewhat derogatory reference to an officer who graduated from one of the the Service Academies (Naval Academy, West Point, etc) or a military academy (VMI, The Citadel) due to their propensity toward getting gigantic class rings (overcompensating perhaps?) which they often obnoxiously tap against tables, doors, etc. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2008, 04:34:02 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 03, 2008, 12:51:29 PM

Does "Ring Knocker" have some kind of really crude meaning in the UK?  Because here it's just a somewhat derogatory reference to an officer who graduated from one of the the Service Academies (Naval Academy, West Point, etc) or a military academy (VMI, The Citadel) due to their propensity toward getting gigantic class rings (overcompensating perhaps?) which they often obnoxiously tap against tables, doors, etc. 

maybe i saw too much into it then,but yeah in the playgrounds and all,RingKnocker is a bad put down(at least here)......good to know that the game meant something else though

Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2008, 04:12:57 PM »

It should be out today. Somehow I missed checking out the demo and with Saints Row 2 a week away, I don't know that I would have the time to put into it. Waiting for impressions....

XBL gamertag: jztemple
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: