http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 07:43:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360]Tenchu Z  (Read 4281 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2007, 12:43:21 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 09, 2007, 12:40:01 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 08, 2007, 03:03:33 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 08, 2007, 02:47:04 PM

That's about how I feel, too.  The lack of mid-mission saves may kill even that, though.  Of course, I will see what reviews have to say, too.

jeebus f rambo!  consoles have hard drives now!  is it that hard to put in decent save features?

Not all consoles have hard drives these days.  Like the Core.  Worst decision Microsoft made for the 360.  Not that it excuses a shitty save game system, that's just lazy and mean. 

I can't believe that Microsoft Games would publish this one with such obvious deficiencies. 

but you still need something to save the game on.  It's not like the old days where you had no choice but to wait for a code to restart the game.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2007, 03:52:20 AM »

ok, I was pretty underwhelmed with the demo.  Perhaps if there was better instructions or a tutorial I would understand what to do better.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2007, 04:22:52 AM »

I tried the demo and enjoyed it.  While it isn't great it is about what I expected since I had played the Japanese demo (though I liked that level better than this new one).  They really didn't do a good job of explaining the gameplay and mechanics, like how to read the Ki "stealth" Meter or do certain moves.  The lack of save points and the deadly boss battle really anger me, too. 

The graphics are serviceable but not nearly as good as one would hope on the 360.  That's been the same story with every Tenchu ever made, though.  I agree that some of those faces in the customization part are laughably terrible. 

If you do play the demo, don't forget about your items.  The one on the far right is your grappling hook and you can shoot it by clicking the right stick, aiming at a ledge/roof above you and then hitting Left Button to shoot it.  The other items are pretty cool and useful, too.  Shuriken, poisoned rice balls, grenades, health, smoke balls that make you invisible for a short time, etc. 

When you grab a guard from behind, you can also drag them into a dark alley before you execute them, or you can grab dead bodies and take them into the shadows.  According to the website there are other attacks like a choke hold, spin kick and spinning slash, although I have no idea how to pull those off (if they are in the demo). 

Given my weakness for stealthy ninjas, I may end up buying this one.  I can understand wanting to wait for a good price drop, though. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2007, 05:15:51 AM »

Looking forward to getting this.  Mostly for the Co-op side of things.  I managed to kill the annoying boss by manuevering him into a corner and chucking a grenade by his feet to finish him.  Only had 4 life left at that point.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2007, 10:42:46 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on June 08, 2007, 02:56:18 PM

I should have my review ready for Tuesday for launch. 

Does the full version have a way to invert Y axis?
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2007, 10:49:15 AM »

I'll let you know on wednesday.   Tongue  If it were a western company release I would say yes... but since the japanese don't appear to understand why people would want axis reversal options... who knows.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2007, 01:07:14 PM »

This will be a rental for me.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2007, 03:32:27 PM »

Getting to the boat was kind of easy.  I just jumped on top of a building, over a couple of roofs and walls then hit the water and swam to the boat.  I'm assuming that was the boss on the boat that handed my virtual ass to me.

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2007, 05:20:59 PM »

I'm waiting!! 

slywink

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2007, 06:36:04 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 12, 2007, 05:20:59 PM

I'm waiting!! 

slywink

Sorry dude, I had some last minute family stuff derail that plan.   We'll have to rely on forum folk for a few days I think...sorry.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2007, 01:18:26 AM »

The Gamespot review is out.  4.9?!  Ouch!

Guess I'll be out.

Here's the summary:
The Good: Sneaking around and killing from the shadows is pretty fun; co-op play via xbox live.
The Bad: Some of the worst AI you'll ever see; missions are repetitive; combat is lousy; most levels can be beaten by simply running right through them.

From top to bottom, Tenchu Z is a disappointment. No matter what aspect of the game you look at, there's a fatal flaw. There are 50 missions, but most of them are the same. You can sneak around, find creative ways to get to your objective, use a large number of interesting weapons, and kill bad guys with the press of a button, but you don't need to because you can simply run or summersault right past everyone. You can extract some fun out of the experience if you use your imagination and approach each level like a ninja, but unless you really, really want to kill some ninjas, you shouldn't waste time and energy trying to make this game fun. The developer certainly didn't.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2007, 02:31:55 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 13, 2007, 01:18:26 AM

The Gamespot review is out.  4.9?!  Ouch!

Yikes.  The demo made me wary, this means I'm out.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2007, 02:56:25 AM »

You can extract some fun out of the experience if you use your imagination and approach each level like a ninja, but unless you really, really want to kill some ninjas, you shouldn't waste time and energy trying to make this game fun. The developer certainly didn't.

Good lord. Did the devs even TRY with this game? Man...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2007, 03:21:05 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 13, 2007, 02:56:25 AM

You can extract some fun out of the experience if you use your imagination and approach each level like a ninja, but unless you really, really want to kill some ninjas, you shouldn't waste time and energy trying to make this game fun. The developer certainly didn't.

Good lord. Did the devs even TRY with this game? Man...

Sadly, I don't think the Tenchu devs have tried with anything since the first PS2 installment.  The X-Box version, PS2 sequel, PSP, DS, and now apparently this one have all been simply awful.  It's really too bad, as I really enjoyed the PS1 versions, and think the concept has a lot of potential.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2007, 12:05:08 PM »

Looks like all the other reviews rolling in are all just as bad.  This sentence alone (from this review) makes me want to avoid this game like the plague:

Missions in Tenchu Z are unnecessarily frustrating due to the lack of checkpoints or an in-mission save option, so if you die at any point during the mission you have to start over at the very beginning. This wouldn’t be that big of a deal since the game’s imbecilic enemies put up very little challenge, but there are cheap deaths galore thanks to the trap doors indiscriminately placed all over the levels. In the middle of caves, in rice fields, inside houses, hidden in patches of bushes; seriously these damn things are everywhere and you rarely see them in time to save yourself before plummeting to your untimely demise – and by untimely, we mean just minutes before you make it to the end of a given level. Sorry, but those trap doors are the work of a sadistically malevolent game designer.

papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2007, 12:12:34 PM »

Was kinda interested....but after playing the demo and reading the reviews and comments here....I think I will pass

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2007, 12:45:17 PM »

I wanted this game to be so cool and redeem the series.  I still want to play it and like it...maybe if I can find it for rent I will go that route instead of a purchase.  I had gotten myself all warmed up for buying it, though.

Honestly, most of the things they knock the game for, like the graphics and disjointed story, don't mean much to me anyway for Tenchu.  I just want to be a stealthy ninja and execute some evil mofos.

Also, it's suspicious that the one thing that the reviews fail to address is the multiplayer options.  GameSpot totally glosses over it and the other site said they are having internet issues and couldn't try it out (but obviously not enough issues to stop them from posting the review, eh?).  

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2007, 12:55:49 PM »

No mid-mission checkpoints, and multiple insta-death trap doors where none belong (in rice paddies?!) equals this game will never see the inside of my machine.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2007, 02:18:30 PM »

Quote from: papasmurff on June 13, 2007, 12:12:34 PM

Was kinda interested....but after playing the demo and reading the reviews and comments here....I think I will pass

+1.  I figured with a manual or tuturial I might actually know what to do control wise but these reviews have killed even the possibility of a rental.

Also, it's suspicious that the one thing that the reviews fail to address is the multiplayer options.  GameSpot totally glosses over it and the other site said they are having internet issues and couldn't try it out (but obviously not enough issues to stop them from posting the review, eh?).  

I'm sure if it was something that stood out they'd be raving about it.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2007, 02:19:29 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on June 13, 2007, 12:55:49 PM

multiple insta-death trap doors where none belong (in rice paddies?!)

That's where I keep mine.  Don't tell me I'm the only one here that does that.... disgust

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2007, 02:20:35 PM »

4.8 from Gamespot.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2007, 02:57:55 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 13, 2007, 02:20:35 PM

4.8 from Gamespot.

Um, thanks? 

It's actually 4.9.

It's also posted below...

In other news, fanboys Team Xbox gave it a 6.7, saying:
Surprisingly, Tenchu Z comes off “chunky” in general; the antithesis of what a ninja game should feel like- sleek and efficient. The concept is still golden, but the actual gameplay mechanics haven’t changed enough to really take advantage of such great material. There’s still a fair amount of entertainment value here, however, but be prepared to sift through some previous-gen-feeling moments to find those nuggets o’ ninja gold.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 03:01:46 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2007, 03:08:25 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 13, 2007, 02:57:55 PM

Quote from: Calvin on June 13, 2007, 02:20:35 PM

4.8 from Gamespot.

Um, thanks? 

It's actually 4.9.

It's also posted below...

In other news, fanboys Team Xbox gave it a 6.7, saying:
Surprisingly, Tenchu Z comes off “chunky” in general; the antithesis of what a ninja game should feel like- sleek and efficient. The concept is still golden, but the actual gameplay mechanics haven’t changed enough to really take advantage of such great material. There’s still a fair amount of entertainment value here, however, but be prepared to sift through some previous-gen-feeling moments to find those nuggets o’ ninja gold.
You're welcome. Most people like knowing scores of games, especially if they are mediocre. And I am sure that .1 will make all the difference.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2007, 03:36:20 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 13, 2007, 12:45:17 PM

Also, it's suspicious that the one thing that the reviews fail to address is the multiplayer options.  GameSpot totally glosses over it and the other site said they are having internet issues and couldn't try it out (but obviously not enough issues to stop them from posting the review, eh?). 

I think it's because the reviewers wanted to get their reviews out before/as the game launched in a desperate attempt to keep people from buying this terrible game.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2007, 06:14:08 PM »

Eh.  Still sounds like the other Tenchu games to me.  Felt the same when I played the demo as well.  The only thing that was different was the AI seemed even more limited in its sense range than before.  Which is admittedly a major drawback.

Won't be the first 'terrible' game I've bought and gotten a good bit of fun from playing.   icon_smile 

Considering my main reason for getting the game is co-op, and that there is nothing else interesting coming out for a month or so...  I'll take this bullet for the team.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
MrDuck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2007, 08:17:05 PM »

My poor Tenchu...gone are the days of Wrath of Heaven (which was, in my opinion, the last good-enough entry of the series), Stealth Assassins and Birth of the Stealth Assassins...

frown

Xbox360 Live! Gamertag: Wuigi69
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2007, 09:32:32 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on June 13, 2007, 06:14:08 PM

Eh.  Still sounds like the other Tenchu games to me.  Felt the same when I played the demo as well.  The only thing that was different was the AI seemed even more limited in its sense range than before.  Which is admittedly a major drawback.

Won't be the first 'terrible' game I've bought and gotten a good bit of fun from playing.   icon_smile 

Considering my main reason for getting the game is co-op, and that there is nothing else interesting coming out for a month or so...  I'll take this bullet for the team.

watch yourself, you're starting to sound like starshifter with Bullet Witch...
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2007, 11:12:06 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on June 13, 2007, 09:32:32 PM

Minus the odd lust toward the virtual main character, of course.  Or at least so I assume.   ninja

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2007, 12:36:26 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on June 13, 2007, 11:12:06 PM

Quote from: KePoW on June 13, 2007, 09:32:32 PM

Minus the odd lust toward the virtual main character, of course.  Or at least so I assume.   ninja

well, you can play a female, so who knows......

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2007, 12:38:02 AM »

Damnit Ceekay, you beat me to it.  smile

I may end up joining Jarrodhk in this one, as I don't think my Blockbuster will be getting any copies in.  Punks.  

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2007, 09:20:26 AM »

Cool I'll have someone to play co-op with.  Unfortunately it doesn't support split-screen... and I have NO idea why it doesn't.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2007, 04:26:56 AM »

Okay, have spent about 8-10 hours playing/watching others play the game.  It looks terrible in SD (or at least on that specific tv), text is difficult to read at times, the white text on white background doesn't work well.  On my HD tv it looks much better, not going to win awards for graphics, but doesn't make me want to tear my eyes out or anything.  It looks like a cleaned up, higher res version of the previous Tenchus.  They obviously didn't make any particular effort to really take advantage of the 360's power.

Gameplay-wise, it plays like the other Tenchus.  There are a few little enhancements added that are fun, but nothing majorly divergent from the other versions.  One big change that I GREATLY enjoy is that the boss' of missions are not always a big face to face fight.  You can go that way if you want, but you can also sneak up and stealth kill them instead.  I've only done the first 7 missions so far, and none of them has had a major straight-up fight yet.  This is good!

The AI is, again, on a par with the previous ones.  The average guard is not terribly observant, and you can pull some really outrageous stealth kills off just yards away from other guards at times.  This is off-set by the alert stage.  If you get spotted, the AI can be annoying good at spotting you sometimes.  It is still baffled when you go up on the other side of a roof.  I've played a couple of missions on hard and the AI does seem a bit better.  Still not great.

I haven't had a chance to play Co-op yet, as no one I know has the game, and for whatever reason split-screen is not supported.  I forsee it being quite entertaining once I can play with some friends.  As it is, watching someone else go through a level, especially on the first run, is really fun.  Mocking friend's missteps never gets old, or the occasional amazing stealth kill or escape move.

That's all I've got time for right now, if anyone has questions I'll be glad to answer them as best I can.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2007, 04:03:25 AM »

I have a little cash to burn so I'm going to pick this up tonight.  At the very least co-op should be entertaining....  ninja2

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2007, 06:33:36 AM »

I picked this up the other day and I am having fun with it.  It doesn't have earth shattering graphics or new concepts, but it does have some small improvements to the previous Tenchu games and looks decent enough to me. 

As Jarrod previously said, not always having to battle the boss head to head is a welcome addition.  I've taken out the first couple by waiting for their shadows to pass by the paper door and then executing them.  And yes, you can choose to bypass all of the other guards and stuff by sneaking around and only kill the boss, or you can choose to kill them all one by one like little sitting ducks.  There are often items to find if you go searching in buildings, so it makes it worthwhile in addition to the added kill bonuses. 

I can see the upgrade and customization systems being pretty neat, but so far I haven't earned all that much money.  I guess I need to be a better ninja and quit being spotted.  I'm glad that the clothing options are generally pretty cheap compared to new moves and such, although it would be nice to be able to preview what you are buying. 

I really think they should have included the training mission in the demo.  It may not be a visually impressive level, but it helps you get acclimated to the controls and abilities. 

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2007, 07:06:32 AM »

The game definitely rewards being a stealthy killer of everything over just being stealthy.  The point rewards for killing off all the guards on a level are much better than if you were to just sneak through and only get the objective.

The noise tripwires that are on the levels can also be a nasty surprise when you are trying to sneak up on a guard.

I agree that they should have included the tutorial in the demo.  I also agree that I wish you got some sort of preview of the clothing items you are buying.

I still haven't gotten some of the really fun abilities like clinging to the ceiling, or clinging to walls and being able to run along vertical walls.

Good times so far however.  One nice thing about having played games so long is that you get a feel for when you will like a game, regardless of what the reviewers think of it.  The demo helped with that as well.

Edit: oh yeah, they've made it Much more difficult to get multiple kills in this one.  I haven't sucessfully gotten one other than in the tutorial so far.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 07:08:23 AM by Jarrodhk » Logged

Pikachu, I Blame you!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2007, 09:38:20 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on June 16, 2007, 07:06:32 AM

Edit: oh yeah, they've made it Much more difficult to get multiple kills in this one.  I haven't sucessfully gotten one other than in the tutorial so far.

I'm ashamed to admit that I couldn't even get it to work in the training level.  I am no ninja!   icon_cry

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2007, 11:04:07 AM »

It requires pretty precise timing.  As you are stealth killing the first guy, there'll be a very quick flash, you have to hit X right then to get the consecutive kill... if there are more than one targets it continues to flash.  Took several tries before I could pull it off in the training... and everytime I've tried in an actual mission to date has ended up with me being spotted as I get the first target.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: