http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 10:47:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360]Section 8  (Read 869 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2009, 08:21:45 AM »

This is coming out for 360 and PC.  PC beta is now open to all.

http://www.joinsection8.com/

Game plays a lot like a futuristic BF, ala BF:2142.  I'm really enjoying it so far.  If I can get a job and afford it I'm torn on 360 or PC, but it's definitely a decent game imo.

I love that spawning has you airdropping in to the location of your choosing.  It's what I've been asking for for a long time.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 06:58:41 AM »

Been playing the PC beta of this game and I see a lot of potential. I wanted to see how the 360 controls would handle to judge between the two versions so I fired up my 360 controller in Windows.

Very disappointed in the controller options.  They dont' allow total customization of buttons and the presets they have don't allow you to do any of the things the game requires for you to be good.

While playing you often have to jump (and hold for jets), zoom in, hit the lock on button while on target, hold fire, all while turning and moving.  To accomplish this they have jump on left bumper, but zoom is on left trigger so you have to hold left bumper, then hit and hold left trigger without letting up on left bumper, all while holding right trigger AND aiming with both sticks AND then someone you have to press 'A' when the target is lined up.

This fails at about 3 different stages during the process. frown  Works great with keyboard and mouse though.

It feels like the game might actually provide a bit too much mobility to work on the gamepad.  I wish I had one of the gamepads that has the buttons on the underside so you can hit them with all your other fingers without letting off of the stick. (of course even then the lack of configuration of buttons would keep me from using it.)

I know FPS can work great on a gamepad (see CoD, R6:V and to some extent BF) but I think the fact that you have so many things that can be done (and need to be done) while airborne AND you have the ability to hold jump and even feather it since it's also the jet pack is what's crippling it.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 11:16:53 PM »

Seems like this is out.  Has anyone tried it?  I'm very interested.  I'm usually not much of a MP guy, but something about this seemed kind of cool.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 01:31:28 AM »

Yes, count me interested as well.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 01:33:18 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 03, 2009, 11:16:53 PM

Seems like this is out.  Has anyone tried it?  I'm very interested.  I'm usually not much of a MP guy, but something about this seemed kind of cool.

Jarrodhk, Dreamshadow1977, and I like it a lot  icon_smile

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 02:05:14 AM »

Ugh, I think I am going to pick this up.  Looks pretty cool!

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 03:48:26 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on September 04, 2009, 01:33:18 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 03, 2009, 11:16:53 PM

Jarrodhk, Dreamshadow1977, and I like it a lot  icon_smile

I saw you guys playing tonight.  Could one of you elaborate?  Do you think it has legs, as they say?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 04:19:16 PM »

The demo was pretty cool. 

But everything about this game screams bargain bin in a few weeks.  I'm going to wait it out.  I'm not saying it's a bad game.  But nobody is going to buy it. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 05:36:27 PM »

While I wouldn't want to see this in the bargain bin, I do think a slight price drop would work to get more people in to the game.  40 would feel about right, but I don't feel cheated at all paying 60.00 for it.  I've been enjoying the bot matches, though the story mode is kinda average.

I certainly like the look of the game and the system they've built.  they're taking the team FPS in a slightly different direction and it works.  There is (as usual) an acclimation period to get used to since everything is available from the get go.

I've still not found the right 'range band' for the sniper rifle to punch shields, but I do find that I like using the machine gun alot.  50m or less, I'm hitting your armor directly, and if you're using an assault rifle, then you have to take out my shields or close to 20m. 

I also like running into an enemy base, throw down a sensor within 20m of the capture point and running out.  That can be good for 20 points over a three minute period depending on how crazy the base is.  The game rewards more than just killing the other players.

The co-op play is good too...including Balanced, Swarm (slight bot numbers advantage), and Super Swarm (Serious bot advantage in numbers) play.  Four or five people could have a lot of fun just playing co-op.

I could keep going, but it would be too easy.   If you like a shooter that isn't quite UT, but itsn't a tactical shooter either, and has a lot of customization.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 07:11:46 PM »

I just read this article: http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/go-crazy-playstation-3-gets-a-section-8/?news=123 (it's coming out on PS3)

The sci-fi first-person shooter was a hit on the PC and Xbox 360 last year

... I thought this game bombed big time.  Am I mistaken?
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 03:36:05 PM »

I think it sold well enough on PC and 360 for them to call it a profit.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 05:14:34 PM »

Saw some previews on the new Section 8 (Prejudice) game on the xbox live marketplace.  Having played (and loved) the first one on the 360, this looks so much improved.  For $15 bucks I will definately get it.
http://www.joinsection8.com/prejudice/

or the xbox marketplace link:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Section-8-Prejudice-Announce-Trailer/f57d6a98-4328-4ab7-a2ae-fb61ea53cc81?cid=search

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 06:57:48 PM »

My son loves Section 8 so I'm in.  This one looks much improved, and at the price, it's worth trying out.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 01:02:08 AM »

Yep, definitely in on this one.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: