http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 08:36:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360]rumour....new Blu-ray xbox 360 to be announced this week  (Read 2694 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2008, 07:10:19 PM »

well,you know how much i fall for these rumours,and just so i can say first..i am calling BS right now...costing less than an Elite,doesn't make sense if you ask me...yup,i reckon its crap(perhaps if it is stripped of everything,HDD mainly)

from Kotaku
http://kotaku.com/5014349/rumor-microsoft-to-announce-blu+ray-xbox-on-monday#viewcomments
We have no confirmation or sourcing of our own on this, so, we don't vouch for its accuracy. But we will be watching the clock at 10 am Crecente time tomorrow, as CrunchGear is rumormongering that Microsoft will announce Blu-Ray Xboxes will be shipping by Christmas, at that time. Rumor has it they'll cost less than an Elite.

The announcement would apparently be timed to upstage Apple's Worldwide Developer's Conference which kicks off an hour later in San Francisco. Here's the full rumor from CrunchGear's tipster:

I’m told MS will upstage Apple with a Monday 9am PDT announcement (1 hour before WWDC) via press release that the Xbox 360 will get Blu-Ray before Christmas. Price was “under the current Elite," but i could get any more details.

We'll be pursuing this tomorrow as our means of pursuit are limited today. Carry on.

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 07:16:44 PM »

yep... the BS meter is going of the scale again.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 07:24:08 PM »

I guess I would be surprised if it was an in-box solution and not an add-on like the HD-DVD player was.  It's always possible, but to see it cheaper than the Elite would be a bit of a joke unless this coincides with dropping the prices on the regular models (which it very well might). 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 07:29:15 PM »

Either way it eats into their digital downloads and puts money in Sony's pocket.

Bad move if true.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 07:29:28 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 08, 2008, 07:24:08 PM

I guess I would be surprised if it was an in-box solution and not an add-on like the HD-DVD player was.  It's always possible, but to see it cheaper than the Elite would be a bit of a joke unless this coincides with dropping the prices on the regular models (which it very well might). 

or else they've decided to risk taking a big loss to get more 360's out there.  still thinking BS though.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 07:30:10 PM »

havent they just dropped the price on all 3(Elite,Premium,Arcade) though?

i am wondering if true,why it isnt an ADD-ON like the HD-DVD player was,surely they wouldnt be thinking of putting games on the Blu-Ray,as that would alienate 20 million 360 buyers straight away...but on the other hand...*cough*..metal gear solid 4 on the 360,LOL

and from what i said above about making it cheap by getting rid of the HDD...that would be pretty stupid and only add to the problem MS are currently having over the Arcade machines

but i know a few people who are buying a PS3 solely because its the cheapest BR player on the market

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 08:00:30 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 08, 2008, 07:30:10 PM

havent they just dropped the price on all 3(Elite,Premium,Arcade) though?

i am wondering if true,why it isnt an ADD-ON like the HD-DVD player was,surely they wouldnt be thinking of putting games on the Blu-Ray,as that would alienate 20 million 360 buyers straight away...but on the other hand...*cough*..metal gear solid 4 on the 360,LOL

and from what i said above about making it cheap by getting rid of the HDD...that would be pretty stupid and only add to the problem MS are currently having over the Arcade machines

but i know a few people who are buying a PS3 solely because its the cheapest BR player on the market

They haven't dropped the price in the US for quite a while (since it went from $399 to $349 for the Pro/Premium). 

Even if they do have an in-box BRD, I certainly wouldn't expect any games to come on that format for now.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 08:02:33 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 08:28:41 PM »

If there is any truth to this rumor (or rumour, MO), this is the reason behind it, no question. 

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 08:34:25 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 08, 2008, 08:28:41 PM

If there is any truth to this rumor (or rumour, MO), this is the reason behind it, no question. 

LOL,is that another one?....sorry icon_biggrin

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 08:44:10 PM »

Dude. It's Kotaku. While I imagine this might be true, I trust Kotaku as much as SonyDefenseForce.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 10:27:07 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 08, 2008, 08:44:10 PM

Dude. It's Kotaku. While I imagine this might be true, I trust Kotaku as much as SonyDefenseForce.

but SonyDefenseForce is a fine journalistic site

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 10:31:49 PM »

oh look, kotaku trying to gain more viewership by spreading lies with no basis what so ever. what a surprise there.

this isn't a rag on the OP, but i seriously do not understand why people even view that site? shacknews, ve3d and bluesnews are way better one stop shops than that crappy blog will be any day. i have yet to see anything even resembling half way descent news come from that site. i'd sooner believe whatever my grand mother says ms is doing than kotaku.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 11:02:06 PM »

Am I the only one who would be happy if this news were true?  I’ve actually contemplated buying a PS3 BECAUSE of its blue ray player; the system itself interests me very little.  An X-box360 I would be far more inclined to enjoy.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 12:11:52 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on June 08, 2008, 11:02:06 PM

Am I the only one who would be happy if this news were true? 

I'd be, because it'd help clear up space in my entertainment center since my PS3 is doing nothing but playing Blu Rays and going over the upcoming release schedule on Gamestop shows me thats all it's going to be doing for at least the rest of the year and possibly the beginning of the next.  It'll be a pleasant surprise if it's true, that's why I doubt it will be.

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 12:32:25 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 09, 2008, 12:11:52 AM

I'd be, because it'd help clear up space in my entertainment center since my PS3 is doing nothing but playing Blu Rays and going over the upcoming release schedule on Gamestop shows me thats all it's going to be doing for at least the rest of the year and possibly the beginning of the next.  It'll be a pleasant surprise if it's true, that's why I doubt it will be.
Oh I agree completely-I think the rumor is bullshit, but the day it might happen is likely the day I sell my PS3 and consolidate everything into the 360. My PS3 is 99.3% of the time a DVD/BRD player and frankly it's pretty stupid owning a 500$ machine for that use.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 01:08:53 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 09, 2008, 12:32:25 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 09, 2008, 12:11:52 AM

Oh I agree completely-I think the rumor is bullshit, but the day it might happen is likely the day I sell my PS3 and consolidate everything into the 360. My PS3 is 99.3% of the time a DVD/BRD player and frankly it's pretty stupid owning a 500$ machine for that use.

Agreed, the 2-3 worthwhile exclusives every year motivate me to borrow my friend's PS3 rather than own my own. Count me in the group that wants blu-ray on the 360.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 01:40:03 AM »

There's another reason why this likely won't happen though.  Remember all the bluray drive speed problems with the PS3, it's the thing that's causing all the HD installs on the PS instead of being able to stream directly off the drive.  Well, even though bluray drives have advanced quite a bit, I'm not sure the drives would do all that well reading 360 dvds.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 04:02:17 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 09, 2008, 01:40:03 AM

There's another reason why this likely won't happen though.  Remember all the bluray drive speed problems with the PS3, it's the thing that's causing all the HD installs on the PS instead of being able to stream directly off the drive.  Well, even though bluray drives have advanced quite a bit, I'm not sure the drives would do all that well reading 360 dvds.

do PS2 games require an install too?

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 04:35:33 AM »

Nope they don't.  However, PS2 games are significantly simpler than the kind of games the 360 has.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 01:19:43 PM »

Is that because of the drive or because the PS3 games are on blu-ray discs? MS would not be able to allow their games to ship this way, because most of their customers don't have the blu-ray player.

Or am I completely wrong and there is no difference between the discs that the 360 and the PS3 use?

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 02:21:14 PM »

PS3 uses BR discs while the 360 uses DVDs.  The read speed of BR discs in the PS3 is pretty much limited to 2x speed, while DVDs in the 360 read at something like 8x or 16x.  I think the reduced read speed is what forces developers to use installs, because while they can stream data off the disc in the 360, the reduced speed of the PS3 drive makes them unable to do that there.

Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 02:59:08 PM »

Just what the Xbox needs, another SKU.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 03:03:39 PM »

Wait a minute. Am I off-base here or can't you have a BluRay drive that reads BluRay discs at 2x but DVDs at 16x or 32x or whatever?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 04:23:19 PM »

well i started it,and now i will finish it...as most of us predicted,its seems like it was a load of crap

again,from Kotaku...lets see if i can do a quote in a quote icon_lol

You've heard the rumor: Microsoft will be announcing a Blu-ray Xbox 360 on Monday morning at 10am KT (Kotaku Time). Apparently Microsoft is gunning to upstage the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference. Check out what Microsoft Entertainment & Devices Division President Robbie Back has to say about that rumor:

Our plan continues to focus on high-definition experiences. Xbox 360 has a great ability to deliver those through the Xbox Live (online download) service. It's a great way to get the high-definition concept because it's right there. There's no additional media. There is nothing you need to purchase.

If you look at the Blu-ray player market, you haven't seen the acceleration everybody expected (since the demise of HD DVD). It's not as much about whether all the content is in a Blu-ray format or a HD DVD format. You have to look at how fundamentally compelling the difference is between a progressive scan DVD player and the picture that it can produce and what you get on a high-definition player. The reality is there is some difference, but most people look at it and say, "I am not going to pay extra for that."

There is nothing to even talk about [Blu-ray Xbox 360 plans] right now with regard to the next generation. That is so far out that there isn't anything to talk about.

Also in the interview, Bach states that there is "no real projection" on when the next Xbox iteration will be introduced. While adding that the company is always thinking about the future versions, Microsoft simply doesn't have anything to discuss at the moment. "The last generation for the Xbox was a little short because we entered the market a little bit later in the cycle," says Bach. "I suspect this time the cycle will be a little bit longer for us."

so,tune in next week when i quote from some various site,that the PS3 will have download only games and are doing away with retail releases!!!! icon_lol disgust
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 04:24:53 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 04:31:05 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 09, 2008, 04:23:19 PM

so,tune in next week when i quote from some various site,that the PS3 will have download only games and are doing away with retail releases!!!! icon_lol disgust

Well, that'll cut down on install times, anyway.  Badump bump.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2008, 04:36:56 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 09, 2008, 04:31:05 PM

are you kidding?  you'd have to download it and then install it.  and you won't be able to do anything else with the PS3 while it's downloading and installing.

Because I can,
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2008, 04:38:20 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on June 09, 2008, 03:03:39 PM

Wait a minute. Am I off-base here or can't you have a BluRay drive that reads BluRay discs at 2x but DVDs at 16x or 32x or whatever?

Yes. Reading a BR disc at 2X is equivilent to reading a DVD or CD MUCH faster than that.

I've never heard of any "drive speed issue" being the reason for large installs.

Read mechanism 405 nm laser:
1× at 36 Mbit/s
2× at 72 Mbit/s
4× at 144 Mbit/s
6× at 216 Mbit/s[1]
12× at 432 Mbit/s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 04:40:22 PM by jblank » Logged

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2008, 04:50:02 PM »

well i started it,and now i will finish it...as most of us predicted,its seems like it was a load of crap

again,from Kotaku...lets see if i can do a quote in a quote icon_lol

You've heard the rumor: Microsoft will be announcing a Blu-ray Xbox 360 on Monday morning at 10am KT (Kotaku Time). Apparently Microsoft is gunning to upstage the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference. Check out what Microsoft Entertainment & Devices Division President Robbie Back has to say about that rumor:

Our plan continues to focus on high-definition experiences. Xbox 360 has a great ability to deliver those through the Xbox Live (online download) service. It's a great way to get the high-definition concept because it's right there. There's no additional media. There is nothing you need to purchase.

If you look at the Blu-ray player market, you haven't seen the acceleration everybody expected (since the demise of HD DVD). It's not as much about whether all the content is in a Blu-ray format or a HD DVD format. You have to look at how fundamentally compelling the difference is between a progressive scan DVD player and the picture that it can produce and what you get on a high-definition player. The reality is there is some difference, but most people look at it and say, "I am not going to pay extra for that."

There is nothing to even talk about [Blu-ray Xbox 360 plans] right now with regard to the next generation. That is so far out that there isn't anything to talk about.

Also in the interview, Bach states that there is "no real projection" on when the next Xbox iteration will be introduced. While adding that the company is always thinking about the future versions, Microsoft simply doesn't have anything to discuss at the moment. "The last generation for the Xbox was a little short because we entered the market a little bit later in the cycle," says Bach. "I suspect this time the cycle will be a little bit longer for us."

It's good to hear that MS has finally come to their senses and won't be prematurely ending the 360's life cycle like they did for the XBox. And I love how he explains off why they did that for the XBox; they hardly entered last console gen late considering Nintendo entered at the same time and Sony extended the PS2 lifecycle to 6 years. It's one thing to end a consoles life cycle prematurely, but another to actively encourage your 3rd party dev studio's to deep 6 it too. Guess I'm not going to be happy about this blunder until some MS executive publicly apologizes. In the meantime I can take solice in the fact that Big N is whooping their ass despite entering this gen a year later.  icon_twisted
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2008, 05:39:17 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 09, 2008, 04:36:56 PM

are you kidding?  you'd have to download it and then install it.  and you won't be able to do anything else with the PS3 while it's downloading and installing.

Well, I was kidding, thus the badump bump.  However, I think downloading from the internet and installing to the HD would still be faster than the drive speed of the Blu Ray, ignoring all compelling evidence that jblank has put forth.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2008, 06:33:48 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 09, 2008, 05:39:17 PM

I was trying to be humorous too, but I rolled an Epic Fail  crybaby

Well, I was kidding, thus the badump bump.  However, I think downloading from the internet and installing to the HD would still be faster than the drive speed of the Blu Ray, ignoring all compelling evidence that jblank has put forth.

Because I can,
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2008, 06:34:18 PM »

Yeah, caching/installing is ALWAYS gonna be faster, but my point was that to the best of my knowledge, large installs don't have anything to do with BD read speed "issues". As I have said, until this thread, I have never heard a single person make a claim that large installs to the PS3 HDD were a result of the drives speed.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2008, 06:35:20 PM »

Quote from: jblank on June 09, 2008, 06:34:18 PM

Yeah, caching/installing is ALWAYS gonna be faster, but my point was that to the best of my knowledge, large installs don't have anything to do with BD read speed "issues". As I have said, until this thread, I have never heard a single person make a claim that large installs to the PS3 HDD were a result of the drives speed.

nothing to add except I'm really enjoying your new avatar  thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

Because I can,
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2008, 07:26:04 PM »

Quote from: jblank on June 09, 2008, 06:34:18 PM

I'm 99% sure I've heard actual PS3 game devs say that is the reason for installs to the HD (whether large or small)

no, I don't have any specific links and I don't care enough to look any up...but I've definitely heard that from multiple sources

personally, installs don't bother me whatsoever, I have 160gig HD in my PS3
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2008, 10:03:16 PM »

interesting article linked from joystiq to MTV.....Here is the link to the full article.

The issue arises from differences in the reading techniques of DVD and Blu-ray. By nature, the outer and inner parts of a disc move at different speeds while a disc is spinning, regardless of format (CD, DVD, Blu-ray, HD-DVD, etc.). While DVD drives can read data at those differing speeds, Blu-ray reads at one speed. Combine that with the extremely large size of Blu-ray discs, and simply dumping existing DVD data onto a Blu-ray disc will inevitably result in longer load times.

Installations are a way around this issue.

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2008, 10:06:16 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 09, 2008, 06:33:48 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 09, 2008, 05:39:17 PM

I was trying to be humorous too, but I rolled an Epic Fail  crybaby

Make that a Double Epic Fail for posting within a quote box.  icon_twisted

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2008, 10:44:29 PM »

I've also heard of developers that will duplicate data on the Blu-Ray disc to make reading data faster too.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2008, 03:46:29 AM »

I suspect duplicating data doesn't make reads faster, but instead makes seek times faster as the laser head has to move less to find the data.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2008, 01:57:11 PM »

Turtle, I hope you didn't bruise your forehead, pushing those geek glasses up your nose like that.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2008, 03:02:08 PM »

This was all discussed in the first PS3 hd install thread (DMC4, iirc)

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2008, 03:47:02 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 10, 2008, 01:57:11 PM

Turtle, I hope you didn't bruise your forehead, pushing those geek glasses up your nose like that.

What?  Sorry, couldn't quite see that text.  *pushes glasses up farther on nose*

Ow, that's going to leave a mark.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: