http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 10:16:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360]Lost Odyssey videos  (Read 871 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2007, 08:51:51 PM »

teamxbox have posted 3 videos from lost odyssey,they look really good(and a little bizarre)...

the first video is in Japanese,the second is commentated in Japanese,but subtitled in English

the first video shows mostly a cut scene

the second video shows combat,and i maybe wrong,but it loooks like you select actions for all your team before anyone does anything,and you can recognise enemies from final fantasy and blue dragon games,the field screen looks very much like final fantasy 10,with linear paths and the map in the corner

the third video tells you about camera control,i would like to have more camera control than what he is showing,but thats just me

if you are familair with Blue dragon and final fantasy 10,you can see the bar in the lower left hand side of teh screen when fighting,it shows the order of whos to strike,blue dragon had it along the top of the screen and i think FF10 had it going down on the right hand side of the screen...oh,and he doesnt do to well at the end of video 3

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/14544/Lost-Odyssey-TGS-2007-Gameplay-Video/

1st video: 4:20
2nd video: 5:00
3rd video: 4:56

note:for some reason i always have a problem playing the videos on teamxbox,so i had to save them to my desktop and watch them from there

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 10:36:25 PM »

I like what I see so far.  You can do a lot worse than emulate FFX.  I'm kind of meh on the character designs though.  I really hope that MS is putting a lot of money into this one.  As much as I've been enjoying all of the recent RPG releases, very few can match the Final Fantasy titles for sheer production quality. 

Also, I really hope MS includes dual language again.  I thought the voice acting was poor in the E3 trailer they showed.  Given that Blue Dragon has received some lackluster complaints about localization, I'm guessing that MS's localization division just isn't up to snuff.  After the great recent localizations from companies like Atlus, 8-4 Productions, and the absolute superb work from SE in Dragon Quest 8 and Final Fantasy XII, the "passable" localizations of five or six years ago just don't fly with me. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 10:38:51 PM by Kevin Grey » Logged
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 11:29:31 PM »

Off my list unfortunately.  One, the graphics were very mediocre to me and it being turn-based took it from being a possible play to a never play.  Just can't stir up even an ounce of interest in anything turn-based.  Until these vids I had no clue.  Glad I watched them.  One less game to fret over.

But those who dig that stuff, looks like you have a big one coming.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 12:53:20 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on September 17, 2007, 11:29:31 PM

it being turn-based took it from being a possible play to a never play.  Just can't stir up even an ounce of interest in anything turn-based.  Until these vids I had no clue.  Glad I watched them.  One less game to fret over.

+1.  TB is right out.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 01:11:26 AM »

I like turn based.  Easier to multi-task while playing for one thing. 

Sometimes I'm in the mood for something real-time'ish, sometimes I prefer turn based.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 01:21:31 AM »

It all depends on story and characters.

By now, all RPG combat feels the same, especially with JRPGs.  Doesn't matter about turn based or real-time, they can dress it up with spinning dials or active turn based, skill boards, or complex maneuvers.

Of all Lost Odyssey offers is cookie cutter "too young to be saving the world" characters or "mature adults with the emotional maturity of a freshman high schooler" I'm out.  It's pretty tired and old.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 02:31:34 AM »

must say i am suprised by all of you....it still looks like it could be one of the best RPGs of next year

and the 'highlander with amnesia' story sounds pretty interesting

i thought this would of been right up your street
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 03:01:54 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 03:07:33 AM »

Yay! Turn-based! Woohoo!
But why do they insist on puttng action elements in my wonderful turn-based games?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 06:24:23 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 18, 2007, 01:21:31 AM

Of all Lost Odyssey offers is cookie cutter "too young to be saving the world" characters or "mature adults with the emotional maturity of a freshman high schooler" I'm out.  It's pretty tired and old.

The main character is 1000 years old and looks to be completely serious, so it doesn't look like either of those apply slywink  I'm definitely looking forward to it, although I wish it hadn't been delayed.  Winter is the perfect time for playing RPGs, even if I will have Blue Dragon, Mass Effect, and Eternal Sonata keeping me busy.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 09:08:57 AM »

Not to be outdone by Blue Dragon, Mistwalker is saying that Lost Odyssey will take 4 DVDs.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 01:13:05 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on September 17, 2007, 11:29:31 PM

Off my list unfortunately.  One, the graphics were very mediocre to me and it being turn-based took it from being a possible play to a never play.  Just can't stir up even an ounce of interest in anything turn-based.  Until these vids I had no clue.  Glad I watched them.  One less game to fret over.

Exact opposite for me, and I think that looks absolutely amazing.   Most real-time combat systems are far too frenetic and twitchy for my tastes, so this looks like it'll be perfect. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 01:31:08 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 18, 2007, 01:21:31 AM

Lost Odyssey looks like a shameless Final Fantasy 10 ripoff to me.  It seems like Microsoft is trying too hard to get Dragon Quest/ Final Fantasy type games on the 360 when the install base simply has no interest in them.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 01:52:03 PM »

The only thing I have heard about Lost Odyssey that has put me off is that there are random battles and the frequency of them is fairly high.  While they were fine back int he old school days, I have grown to hate them.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 04:07:04 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on September 20, 2007, 09:08:57 AM

Not to be outdone by Blue Dragon, Mistwalker is saying that Lost Odyssey will take 4 DVDs.

holy shitballs!!...really?..not that i mind 3 or 4,as it still suggests a MASSIVE adventure

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 04:20:24 PM »

Turn based combat?  Out.

I never finished KOTOR because after logging so many hours in the game, I just got bored.  I hated feeling like I had zero control over combat.  If I swing at a character, within weapon range, and they do not block the attack, I should connect.  But instead some ethereal virtual dice roll determines the probability of a successful attack based on some complex algorithm and the levelling of particular attributes of my character.  If I wanted a good story and zero control, I'd watch a damn movie.  Exploration and character interaction can only carry a game so far.   

The first videos of Lost Odyssey really had me excited because it looked like an Oblivion-like, complex storyline combined with RPG elements such as leveling certain attributes and developing your character along with some bad-ass Ninja Gaiden-esque combat.  But now that I have heard that it will be turn-based, no matter how good the visuals or storyline may be, I'm already bored and I haven't even played yet.  I still have a bad taste in my mouth from KOTOR.  I want control.  If I attack an enemy, I want to kill said enemy based on my own skill with the controller.  Not based on some behind-the-scenes dice roll.  It's like virtual Yatzee.   

I'll stick with Mass Effect.  I only have so much time for RPGs, anyway.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: