http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 01:52:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360]Hmm...external HD-DVD drive announced  (Read 2212 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2006, 06:00:53 AM »

An add-on.  Announced 2 months after launch.  Seriously?

You're going to ask 360 owners to shell out $100-$150 (my guess, although I know nothing about HD-technology, to be fair) for something they should have gotten originally?  Sure it wasn't promised, but HD is the future of movies...

With that news, I'm going to wait until MS starts making the 360 with an internal HD-DVD drive...which I don't know if it'll actually happen, but I'd venture a guess into saying that it will someday.

But an add-on/external anything for a console!  All I think of is failure in that regard.

TheMissingLink on PSN
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 06:07:55 AM »

I'd tend to agree, but I'd only purchase it as a means to play HD-DVDs (something I desperately want).  I wouldn't expect games to actually require it.

gellar
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 06:14:15 AM »

Pretty darn sure this add-on will only be used for viewing movies.  I doubt MS will ever allow game media to be shipped on it.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 06:34:26 AM »

Wow.

Remember when Sega announced that the Dreamcast would have the DVD drive?
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 07:12:55 AM »

From the press release:
Xbox 360 Leads the Way in High-Definition Entertainment

Just a month after the global launch of the new Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system, Gates discussed the product's strong momentum in delivering high-definition hardware, games and digital entertainment experiences. Xbox 360 is on track to be the fastest-selling video game console ever, forecast to ship between 4.5 million and 5.5 million units worldwide by the end of June 2006.

Gates noted that Xbox 360 has also become a powerful application for high-definition television, adding that nine out of 10 Xbox 360 owners currently own or intend to purchase a high-definition television set.* He announced that more than 50 new high-definition Xbox 360(TM) games will be available by June 2006.

Building on Xbox 360 leadership in high-definition experiences, the company announced plans to deliver a new Xbox 360 external HD DVD drive in 2006. The new drive will offer millions of Xbox 360 owners the ability to easily enjoy HD DVD movies and will provide consumers with even more choices for experiencing high-definition content, in either physical or digital form.

Using Xbox 360 and the Xbox Live(R) service today, consumers are already able to access high-definition entertainment such as Xbox Live Arcade titles, game demos and high-definition movie trailers. Consumers can also use their Xbox 360 system to access high-definition television and movies from their Windows XP-based Media Center PC.

Gates' keynote also showcased the momentum behind Xbox Live, announcing that more than half of all Xbox 360 owners are already connected to the online games and entertainment service, which boasts a worldwide community of more than 2 million members. He demonstrated Electronic Arts Inc.'s forthcoming EA SPORTS(TM) "Fight Night Round 3," scheduled to be available in February 2006, and announced that a free, playable high-definition demo of the game is now available at the Xbox Live Marketplace, a one-stop digital download center where consumers can access high-definition games, music and movie content from leading industry partners.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 12:55:02 PM »

Yeah, the drive is only going to be used for movies. No games will be made for it, according to Microsoft.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 01:19:45 PM »

I might be interested in this depending on the actual cost

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 01:38:20 PM »

exactly. Also, I'd hope there was a firmware / software upgrade to upconvert standard DVDs to HD (so 720p and 1080i displays).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 01:42:32 PM »

MS had to do this since there is so much positive press currently for Blu-Ray.

Several stories today about movies shipping on Blu-Ray this summer, all the major movie studios behind Blu-Ray, etc.  

MS has picked HD-DVD and they only have one (very big) card to play - market dominance.  Vista will ship with HD-DVD ablility out of the box (although who will buy a new drive?) now they talk about how the 360 will support it with an add-on.  This is what they have to use.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 01:56:45 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
MS has picked HD-DVD and they only have one (very big) card to play - market dominance.  Vista will ship with HD-DVD ablility out of the box (although who will buy a new drive?) now they talk about how the 360 will support it with an add-on.  This is what they have to use.

That whole Vista thing is pretty much a non-issue- it just means that anyone buying a Bluray drive for this PC will also have to install *gasp* a driver to go along with it! Just like almost every other hardware peripheral consumers buy.  

But, yeah, I agree I just don't see much of a future for HD-DVD right now.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 02:09:33 PM »

So will the cost of the 360 + the HD-DVD add-on equal the cost of a PS3 which already includes Blu-ray?

I'm guessing the answer better be "yes".  Because if the PS3 costs less then... wow.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 03:08:28 PM »

How exactly will consumers be able to enjoy HD DVD movies when the major studios are primarily supporting Blu Ray?  (If I recall, two of the six are supporting both, but isn't it sort of already obvious that Blu Ray won this battle before it really started?)

If Blu Ray I'd seriously consider this add on.  HD DVD?  Eh.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 03:15:18 PM »

Yeah I don't really see the point of this other than as a marketing thing to say that 360 supports hd movies, but Sony will still counter they don't support "true" HD (i.e. they don't do 1080p). Now if this doodad allowed you to output 1080p....that would be worth crowing about. It doesn't really matter now that much, but as that technology starts to filter into more TVs it will become more of an issue.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2006, 03:30:54 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Pretty darn sure this add-on will only be used for viewing movies.  I doubt MS will ever allow game media to be shipped on it.

This may be a stupid question, but why would MS never allow game media to be shipped on HD-DVD's??
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 03:33:36 PM »

The same reason they won't allow the use of the HD for gaming.  Not every gamer will have one.  MS should have never released the CORE system

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2006, 03:34:04 PM »

Quote from: "Canuck"
This may be a stupid question, but why would MS never allow game media to be shipped on HD-DVD's??

Same reason that all games are required to work without the HDD except for MMORPGs- it would split the market and create consumer confusion.  Similar add-ons in the past (PS2 HDD, N64 extra memory, Sega CD, etc) have never been successful for just this reason.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2006, 03:38:51 PM »

I could see them doing deluxe editions that require it, especially once we start hitting the point where games are shipping on multiple DVDs.

And games can and do use the HD for caching AFAIK (well, I don't know that for a fact, but in a couple of the articles that popped up in reference to why there are only 13GB available on the HD, this was mentioned as a reason IIRC), it just isn't required.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2006, 04:26:39 PM »

Quote from: "JLu"
How exactly will consumers be able to enjoy HD DVD movies when the major studios are primarily supporting Blu Ray?  (If I recall, two of the six are supporting both, but isn't it sort of already obvious that Blu Ray won this battle before it really started?)

There's actually been some swing towards HD DVD in the past month or so; it's looking like Sony's "this is our product" campaign is falling apart with stuff like facts and reality coming into play.

::shrug:: I'll pick up the dominant one; there's no guarantee that I'll buy blu-ray movies just because I (may) have a PS3.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 04:36:01 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"

There's actually been some swing towards HD DVD in the past month or so; it's looking like Sony's "this is our product" campaign is falling apart with stuff like facts and reality coming into play.

::shrug:: I'll pick up the dominant one; there's no guarantee that I'll buy blu-ray movies just because I (may) have a PS3.

I admit I hadn't paid as much attention lately.  I do not particularly care which one wins; I just want it decided because I'm probably a year away from buying a DVD player once whichever format ends up victorious.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2006, 05:05:48 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"

LOL.

I don't think pesky things like facts are really what you are basing your comments on but I love the implication that Sony is not dealing with reality.

As far as I can tell the "reality" is that Blu-Ray has much more movie studio support, good support from manufaturers of players, and the PS3. HD DVD has only 2 movie studio who have agreed to use the format, support from manufactures and Microsoft pushing it.  

It would seem they are quite close.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2006, 07:17:40 PM »

MS should have put this drive in their ORIGINAL 360's and saved all their consumers all the trouble.  I mean, now the "good" pack is a sort of "retard" pack and their "retard" pack is their "rip-off" pack.  And they'll most likely include this drive internally (my guess) at some point of time, so hey, another SKU!  Alright!

Since the PS3's going with blu-ray, their games/discs can hold something like 5 times the data (if I remember correctly) anything the 360'll have.

And yeah, just playing HD movies isn't *that* big of a deal to some of us...but wasn't the 360 healded as the glory age of HD?  I was under the impression you could play HD movies on it...

In MS wanted hd-dvd to really win this format war, they would have included a drive compatible to begin with.  If they had done that, hd-dvd would be in pretty good shape.  As of right now, who knows who'll buy this thing...while blu-ray is THE format for the PS3.  I say, advantage blu-ray.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2006, 07:30:11 PM »

I don't see why anyone really cares about this format war.  My prediction: it will be years before the mass market converts to either format.

MS's move to offer an external drive is perfectly brilliant.  If they'd included HD-DVD in the 360 they could have been hamstrung if it ends up being the losing format.  This way they can "support" HD-DVD but if it fails there's no reason they can't release a blu-Ray drive down the road.  Essentially, it's a no risk strategy and they have smartly separated the 360 from the format war.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2006, 07:50:19 PM »

I don't see why anyone really cares about this format war. My prediction: it will be years before the mass market converts to either format.

I care about the format war, for one. The mass market may not be converting to either format for years, but I have an HDTV and want to convert as soon as humanly possible. This standards war delays this, as I'm not about to buy a dedicated player or add-on if there's the possiblility it could become a paper weight.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2006, 07:56:07 PM »

I realize I'm probably way off, but I'm just not sure if either of these will really catch on in the mainstream like DVDs.  I'm getting sort of a Laserdisc vibe.  Consider that HD sets, while dropping, are still a little too pricey for many people.  You can get almost anything on DVD for a cheap price and DVD players can be had for $40.  They are going to need to have cheap players and cheap movies quick to market to catch on.

We're also not dealing with a huge convenience upgrade that VCR to DVD offered.  All we're really getting is a better image quality.  While that's a big draw for technophiles like us, I don't see it being so much for the general populace.  DVD offered so many advantages that a lot of people rebought their collections.  Why not replace that aging copy of Steel Magnolia's when it's only a $5 impulse buy?  But since the new players will still play your existing DVDs only new purchases and select favorites will qualify.  It's just not going to be anywhere near the craze that DVDs created.

I for one won't be buying either one until a clear winner emerges.  But the lack of an industry standard is unfortunate for the consumers and for the effort of either technology getting a firm foothold.  Personally I'm much more interested in HVD technology than either of these anyway.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2006, 03:32:09 AM »

I read in the paper today that the Blue Ray player could cost as much as $1800 compared to $800-$400 for the HD-DVD player.  If that's the case then I'll definitely be picking up a PS3!.  It makes a $500 console seem like a bargain.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2006, 08:06:43 AM »

Someone on this forum said that all these versions of the game console will really hurt the 360 in the end.

I hope Sony realizes this and trumps them by having a single unit, even if it's expensive.  And hopefully it'll include some form of hard drive.

MS could have benefitted from games using its built in hard drive, but no longer, they could have benefitted from having games released in the HD-DVD format so that the format reaches a broader audience, but no longer.

They did manage to release early and with a lower price point, but that early victory has been offset by numerous problems and upset developers.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2006, 08:12:52 PM »

Quote from: "Canuck"
I read in the paper today that the Blue Ray player could cost as much as $1800 compared to $800-$400 for the HD-DVD player.  If that's the case then I'll definitely be picking up a PS3!.  It makes a $500 console seem like a bargain.
Yeah, I know what you mean. FOrget bluray then. That's just another reason to drop it.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2006, 08:16:38 PM »

Oh no! I cant watch HD DVDs without this??????? NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!  ::cuts::  Wait, its only for movies?  What is the big problem here then?  By the time this thing comes out maybe I'll have an HD tv.  If so, I would probably buy an actual HD DVD player rather than an add on to my Xbox360.

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2006, 05:42:34 AM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
They did manage to release early and with a lower price point, but that early victory has been offset by numerous problems and upset developers.

What upset developers?  While I'm sure they all would have preferred a larger number of units reaching retail before Christmas, I doubt any of them are actually hurting because of it.  By the time you factor in all the co-op marketing dollars MS throws around, it's almost impossible for major publishers to lose money on a title unless it tanks big time.

None of MS' early mis-steps will hurt it if either a) they manage to find a "killer ap" exclusive title before PS3 hits or b) PS3 is delayed (which seems more likely every day).

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2006, 06:18:19 AM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
b) PS3 is delayed (which seems more likely every day).

Depends on what you mean by delayed.  The Japanese launch may very well be delayed but Sony never promised a North American launch in the Spring.  I think a Fall/Holiday PS3 launch in North America has always made the most sense and I think Sony will move hell or high water to  make it, even if it meant launching in North America before Japan.  North America is the most important battleground next generation and I think missing holidays here would be far more devestating than launching late in Japan.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2006, 10:01:52 PM »

Honestly I'd rather have a stand alone player instead of using a console to watch movies.  If that means I have to by both a HD-DVD player and and Blue Ray player then so be it.  I'll just have to get a bigger entertainment center.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: