http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 04:20:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360]GTAIV:The Lost and Damned  (Read 4960 times)
jztemple2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2009, 09:04:45 PM »

Yup, I also manually saved after missions, just in case.

Played about twenty minutes, got to the clubhouse and checked it out. Rockstar does know how to do atmosphere, the place is great.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2009, 10:16:42 PM »

i failed one mission and it gave me the option to replay...so i said yeah,and it took me right before i died,no redoing the whole mission

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2009, 12:13:07 AM »

lets get some impressions up in this bitch. need to know if my 20 bucks is worth it!
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2009, 01:59:09 AM »

Does anyone know if there are plans to offer this at some point for the PC version? If so when?
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2009, 04:21:14 AM »

Or for the PS3? When does the Microsoft 'exclusive' end?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2009, 11:22:33 AM »

According to a NY Times article, the 360 exclusivity is expected to end at some time and the DLC will be available for both PC and PS3, but there is no announced time frame. Certainly this is part of the Microsoft deal, to keep PC and PS3 in the dark for awhile, more pressure to get that 360.

I've now played about two hours in TL&D. Have completed four missions, also took three of the other guys to play air hockey, at which I suck (it mirrors real life!). Also tried arm wrestling, which is a pointless mini-game, and Hi-Lo, which is a pretty pointless card game. To be fair, I never cared much for the mini-games in the original. If you liked them you might like these, but just like in the original they don't add anything to the main game.

Two of the missions were mainline "Billy" missions, one was a mainline "J" (James? Jim?) mission, and one introduced me to the race side missions. These have the additional draw of letting you hit your fellow bikers racers with a bat as you race, but of course they can do it to you as well.

According to the stats page, I'm 12% complete after two hours. I would assume that those first 12% took longer since I was playing around with the mini-games. The NYT article author said he finished the main line missions in about 8.5 hours, but spent the same mount of time touring around and doing the mini-games, races and the other side stuff. He says if you enjoyed GTA4 you should invest in the DLC, but after you complete it there's no reason to continue playing the mod, there is a lot more to do after the main campaign is over in GTA4 than in TL&D.

Based on my four missions my opinion is that, assuming the remaining content is similar to what I've seen so far, the DLC is worth it if you found the original game interesting enough to complete. If you never completed GTA4 due to losing in interest in the gameplay, there's nothing in TL&D that's different enough to change your mind.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2009, 01:36:38 PM »

I played it for a couple of hours last night. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. The characters are ok, especially the main character and the leader of the lost, Billy. They have an interesting dynamic which will keep me playing the game. Gameplay is the same for the most part, except when you do missions you are a part of a big group and not a loner (at least the early missions). I don't know why that bothers me, but it does. And the motorcycle does ride a hell of a lot better. The downside to that though is your bike is one of a kind in the game, and if you leave it during a mission you fail. During a mission we had to kill a bunch of angel of death goons, and then jump on our bikes to go to another location (to kill a bunch of angel of death goons). I jumped on the first bike I saw and after I got about two blocks away it failed the mission because I abandoned my bike. It was annoying, but because of the new checkpoint feature it wasn't the end of the world.

The two best moments I had though both involved the music and Deep Purple's Highway Star. When you first get control of your character and have to drive back to the clubhouse, this is the song on the radio, and it definitely help set the mood for what was to come. Later in the game after completing a mission you have to jump on your bike and evade the police. As soon as I got on, I could hear the familiar low scream that is the beginning of Highway Star. I turned the bike so it was pointing in the right direction, and just as the music kicked into high gear, my warrant level jumped up and I gunned the engine to get the hell out of there. The timing on everything couldn't have been better.  thumbsup

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2009, 01:51:18 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on February 18, 2009, 11:22:33 AM

According to a NY Times article, the 360 exclusivity is expected to end at some time and the DLC will be available for both PC and PS3, but there is no announced time frame. Certainly this is part of the Microsoft deal, to keep PC and PS3 in the dark for awhile, more pressure to get that 360.

hmm,the way i heard it was Rockstar had no intention of making any DLC,and Microsoft gave them 50 million to think otherwise..i would expect it to eventually appear on Games for Windows,but not PS3.. the 50 million wasnt actually for exclusiveness..but more funding the DLC altogether...the DLC is also an experiment for Rockstar to see how popular it can be due to it being download only

i am enjoying the game,i am taking my time,started to enjoy the races now as i hated the first one..but now they are fun..not seen any seagulls yet though  icon_biggrin

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2009, 04:07:49 PM »

Played for about an hour last night, and I give it a solid thumbsup.  Their cinematics and script work are top-knotch.  I loved the intro.  Whether or not they actually intended to do DLC, it feels to me like they just kept going with development without skipping a beat.  It's like an extension of the best work of the main game so far.  I'll see how it holds up as I've only done a couple missions.

The only thing I didn't get a good feel for is the riding in the gang stuff, when you're following Billy.  When you're in position, a big Lost badge decal appears on the road, and apparently you stay inside it to heal up and increase your rep with your guys.  But it's not clear where you're supposed to be exactly, and it seems to disappear after you've been inside it for a couple seconds.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 04:09:57 PM by kathode » Logged
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2009, 04:34:28 PM »

Quote from: kathode on February 18, 2009, 04:07:49 PM

But it's not clear where you're supposed to be exactly, and it seems to disappear after you've been inside it for a couple seconds.

My impression is that when it disappears, you get the power up.  I've been badly hurt, and each time I sit in the decal for a few seconds, it disappears and I get 1/4 or so of my health back.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2009, 06:27:39 PM »

I believe all cutscenes are skippable. I haven't run into one that wasn't.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2009, 06:30:34 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on February 18, 2009, 06:08:22 PM

Can you skip the full frontal male nude scene?  If unskippable cut-scene I am out.  I'm no prude, nor religious, but I just flat don't want that crap in my games.  Rockstar Rockstar, why do you do this stuff!?

What's wrong with penises?  Do you hate yours?  I don't get why people are so upset about this but have no issues with God of War sex minigames or the crazy violence in GTA itself.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2009, 06:56:34 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 18, 2009, 06:30:34 PM

Quote from: mikeg on February 18, 2009, 06:08:22 PM

Can you skip the full frontal male nude scene?  If unskippable cut-scene I am out.  I'm no prude, nor religious, but I just flat don't want that crap in my games.  Rockstar Rockstar, why do you do this stuff!?

What's wrong with penises?  Do you hate yours?  I don't get why people are so upset about this but have no issues with God of War sex minigames or the crazy violence in GTA itself.

Agreed. +1

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2009, 09:48:32 PM »

The only thing I didn't get a good feel for is the riding in the gang stuff, when you're following Billy.  When you're in position, a big Lost badge decal appears on the road, and apparently you stay inside it to heal up and increase your rep with your guys.  But it's not clear where you're supposed to be exactly, and it seems to disappear after you've been inside it for a couple seconds.

thats to get a conversation going with the bikers,you get it to dissappear when you have been in the badge long enough to qualify for a new conversation to get going..i quite liked that,but i am a few more hours in now(5 hrs play time 20%)and i haven't had that option to ride with the others and in The Lost badge for a while now,so if you dont like it,dont worry

i got my 'Got Good Wood' achievement by knocking 69 racers off their bikes during the races with the Baseball Bat..i am enjoying the races a great deal,they are really fun,and its funny seeing that they can be just as bad as you going round corners etc

started to collect bikes for one guy,like the car mission on the main game

but i still havent see a seagulll yet,apparently there are 50

and i just had the 'full frontal' mission.. icon_smile,i was laughing by the end of the cutscene..Rockstar Cutscenes whatever they contain are always done well

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2009, 09:56:21 PM »

My stats.... eight missions passed. 3:25 total playing time. 23% complete. 165 people killed. One dangling dong observed.  slywink

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2009, 10:45:35 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on February 18, 2009, 09:56:21 PM

My stats.... eight missions passed. 3:25 total playing time. 23% complete. 165 people killed. One dangling dong observed.  slywink

I told you to stay away from our window.   disgust

That restraining order is in yards, not feet. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2009, 10:51:08 PM »

Kotaku have put the round up of reviews if anyone is interested,may help for those who are in two minds whether to get this

EDIT:some heavy stuff went down in one of the missions,when it was over i was stood in the rain,i got back onto my bike and straight away Bon Jovi - Wanted:Dead or Alive came on the radio,followed by The Doors Five To One.....gaming doesnt get much better than that!!!!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 01:07:43 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2009, 02:03:56 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 18, 2009, 10:51:08 PM

EDIT:some heavy stuff went down in one of the missions,when it was over i was stood in the rain,i got back onto my bike and straight away Bon Jovi - Wanted:Dead or Alive came on the radio,followed by The Doors Five To One.....gaming doesnt get much better than that!!!!

I wish they still had Zit! on the cell phone, since I haven't recognized some of the tunes while in the game. I did find the list over at this Rockstar website, damn Flash won't let me copy and paste.

Does the new music show up in the original game as well?

Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2009, 02:18:24 AM »

that is the most pointless graph i've ever seen.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2009, 04:31:04 AM »

Now 4:44 time played, 29% complete, 10 missions passed. Ran another race but couldn't use my bat. Does which bike I use matter?

Also did my first gang war and also took three of the crew out for air hockey. I sucked but they liked it  nod

I'm liking this DLC more and more. The new characters are interesting, the story line is decent, and the side missions not bad. The mini-games are unimpressive, but I felt that way about the originals. Lots of new music and talk radio content. I haven't even looked to see if there is anything new in MP, I never got into it in the original.

I'm finding that there are parts of the city that seem new to me; not that they are new in the DLC, it's just that there's so much to Liberty City I don't think I ever got to these out of the way places in the original.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2009, 12:06:19 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on February 19, 2009, 02:03:56 AM

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 18, 2009, 10:51:08 PM

I wish they still had Zit! on the cell phone, since I haven't recognized some of the tunes while in the game. I did find the list over at this Rockstar website, damn Flash won't let me copy and paste.

Does the new music show up in the original game as well?

not sure about it appearing in the original game

but you have to ring Zit once for it to get saved to your phonebook

so,give them a ring
948-555-0100 icon_smile

i was always on my Lost Bike when i did the races...to hit them with the bat just press B or X,however if you want to knock them off the bike(for the achievement say)..then you have to HOLD down X or B

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2009, 01:39:25 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 19, 2009, 12:06:19 PM

i was always on my Lost Bike when i did the races...to hit them with the bat just press B or X,however if you want to knock them off the bike(for the achievement say)..then you have to HOLD down X or B

NOW you tell me. I was wondering why they weren't falling off their bikes.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2009, 06:51:07 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on February 19, 2009, 01:39:25 PM

NOW you tell me. I was wondering why they weren't falling off their bikes.

yeah i had to find out from xbox.com forums..i asked the person if it was in the tutorial and i missed it,he said it wasnt and someone else on xbox.com told him..wierd

i finished the story today,enjoyed it all a lot

one thing though i didnt like was saving,one place on the one island,so i always had to go back all the way to the clubhouse to save my game..and when you did get another crib it was about 2 blocks away from the clubhouse

and please stop advertising Xbox live and how to get into an instant game in the top corner!!!

and i kinda wish that it didnt play like a seperate game,loading up two different games for both Niko and Johnny..how some places are available in Niko's LC and some are available in Johnny's LC

there is still a lot i havent done(i have 66%)..races(8/12),i havent killed any seagulls(if i really want to get into that) and have yet to have a gang war and have only stolen one bike for Angus,so still plenty to do i guess...oh and as the credits rolled(which were interesting to watch)..it said that Frankie Boyle was the new comedian at split sides,so i will have to try and catch his show..i enjoyed Ricky Gervais and Katt Williams...and Frankie Boyle is always funny

so yeah.....bring on the next DLC about Luis

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2009, 06:53:12 PM »

but you have to ring Zit once for it to get saved to your phonebook

so,give them a ring
948-555-0100 icon_smile

Thanks for this, works like a charm.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2009, 07:57:08 PM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on February 19, 2009, 02:18:24 AM

from the most useless website at that.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2009, 09:22:27 PM »

as pointless as this one?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2009, 10:11:19 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 19, 2009, 09:22:27 PM

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2009, 11:23:35 PM »

That's a Dimitri Martin joke, but that doesn't look like his drawing.  Unless he stole it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2009, 01:43:34 PM »

Quote from: kathode on February 19, 2009, 10:11:19 PM

I'm partial to this one:

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2009, 03:04:07 AM »

Finished the main story line this evening. Mixed feelings about it, I think it was just that it didn't seem to be focused enough on one plot. Probably due in part to the limitations of the DLC. I still have some of the Angus jobs to do, but of course I not longer can do the minigames....

Spoiler for Hiden:
...since I burned down the damn clubhouse!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2009, 06:06:03 AM »

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2009, 05:03:44 PM »

Played for about an hour last night, and I give it a solid thumbsup.  Their cinematics and script work are top-knotch.  I loved the intro.  Whether or not they actually intended to do DLC, it feels to me like they just kept going with development without skipping a beat.  It's like an extension of the best work of the main game so far.  I'll see how it holds up as I've only done a couple missions.

It heals your bike but also triggers additional "road" conversations as if that was really possible while hauling down the road, but hell its a game.
The road conversations help you get a vibe of where everyones head is at and they are supposed to increase your rep with your brothers as someone stated.
You only have to be in the badge for a few seconds to trigger the next conversation.

Someone also asked how to increase Clay and Terry's Toughness and I did this easily be completing the 25 Gang Wars (They actually reached 100% by the 16th or 17th I believe)

I would really like to see a whole GTA based on the MC concept, but incorporate something like OCC to make custom rides and paint schemes.
I would also like to see a lot less of the friend maintenance. I think it is cool that they have that, but it was way to tedious when you factor how many people you had to keep happy.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2009, 05:51:51 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on February 26, 2009, 05:03:44 PM

I would really like to see a whole GTA based on the MC concept, but incorporate something like OCC to make custom rides and paint schemes.

Creating your own ride kinda takes the T out of the GTA concept. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2009, 10:30:20 PM »

damn, some of the missions get tough pretty quick.  so far, i have had to redo 3 of them more than once.  the school bus was a pita during the escape as you get so much heat on you from the start.  i got lucky though and lost a bunch of them when the got out to take pot shots at me.

i'm still getting back into the groove though, and i am pretty rusty with gta's gameplay. 

i just advanced the story past stubby the show-off's missions and have a whole chunk of extra things to do.  like the gangwars better as some of them have been pretty big so far.  i really loved it when one war was to take down a truck driver.  pretty cool. 

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2009, 11:29:07 PM »

Quote from: Caine on February 26, 2009, 10:30:20 PM

damn, some of the missions get tough pretty quick.  so far, i have had to redo 3 of them more than once.  the school bus was a pita during the escape as you get so much heat on you from the start.  i got lucky though and lost a bunch of them when the got out to take pot shots at me.

is that the one where you have to steal the bus from the actual Police Station yard?...i found as soon as i or my car went through the barrier they started to shoot at me...so instead i stole the police car that was parked outside,and they didnt start to shoot at me until i got outside the police car,which was when i parked it right next to the bus,and when you attempt to get on the bus,you get the cut scene...the getaway however like you say was painful,very painful...damn bus wasnt drivable at all,i fluked that mission...and i drove pretty slow,you had to or you would tip over

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2009, 11:42:30 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 26, 2009, 11:29:07 PM

Quote from: Caine on February 26, 2009, 10:30:20 PM

is that the one where you have to steal the bus from the actual Police Station yard?...i found as soon as i or my car went through the barrier they started to shoot at me...so instead i stole the police car that was parked outside,and they didnt start to shoot at me until i got outside the police car,which was when i parked it right next to the bus,and when you attempt to get on the bus,you get the cut scene...the getaway however like you say was painful,very painful...damn bus wasnt drivable at all,i fluked that mission...and i drove pretty slow,you had to or you would tip over

I had an awesome moment during that mission, even though it took me several attempts to actually get it. I ended up going over a jump which took me over one of the rivers. I didn't think there was a chance in hell it would work, but I made it over the water and several of the cop cars that followed did not. I was home free. All I had to do was get around the corner and get out of the circle...

Of course, as I was rounding the corner I nicked the curb and the entire bus flipped over. Looking at the radar it looked like half the bus was in the circle and half the bus was not. By the time I was able to flip the bus over again the cops had found where I was and it was all for nothing.  crybaby

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2009, 05:16:11 AM »

when i won that mission, it was because i had flipped the bus on it's side up near the mansions.  all of the fuzz jumped out of their cars while i tried madly to get the bus righted.  while it shouldn't be possible in any reality, i did get the bus on it's wheels and because the cops were slow to get back in the chase, i was able to put enough space between us in the downtown commercial section.  when they finally got going again, i had been able to get out of the search area and avoid their backup.  damn lucky break and it made up for the previous attempt where the damn bus exploded (it wasn't even on fire, so i was a bit pissed) trying to get on the freeway onramp to get my speed up and attempt to shoot out the drivers following me. 

one thing which i realized after i finished the mission where you meet niko, is that i could have called in backup instead of trying to be a one man army.  i need to remember that i'm not alone in TLaD

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2009, 12:23:04 AM »

I finished all 12 races tonight.  Guess what the big reward is?  NOTHING.  That's right, no special bike, no gun, no achievement.  Nothing at all.  What bullshit.  I was going to do all the gang war things but forget it now.  Those things are getting hard as hell anyway.

I don't know if the Elizabeta missions are required or not, but you should do them either way.  I really had fun with the one where you're on the back of someone's bike using the street-sweeper against pursuing cop cars and helicopters.  Pay attention and shoot your surroundings for at least one awesome slo-mo scene.

Still really enjoying it although that race thing really pissed me off.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2009, 05:14:18 AM »

while it's not required to do the gang war missions or the race missions, they are the method by which you get the  achievements for knocking 69 people off their bikes and for getting terry and clay to 100% toughness.  you can get them up to 100% through backup on missions, but the gang war gets them up faster.  one thing that i learned from the hint video is that if you stick close to them during the ride to the gang's location, you will bring up their toughness.  i got the achievement on the ride over myself.  also, you get weapon unlocks for finishing 10, 20, and probably 25 gang wars. 

afaik, the races are the only time you can knock people off their bikes, so if you are close, i hope you can redo some to make it 69

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2009, 03:29:18 PM »

I knew about the achievement for knocking people off, but I just thought you would get a prize of some kind for beating all the races.  Actually anything at all would've been good.  The post-race splash screen is exactly the same.  I figured the text message you get afterwards would be different, but no, it's exactly the same.  "Let's race again soon!"  icon_confused  Just felt like a big waste of time.  Some of those races are pretty long. 

As for gang wars, I got the 100% achievement in less than 10.  Now I'm in the teens and it feels like I'm taking on miniature armies.  Right now they're not even paying for the ammo I'm spending on them, so I'm probably just going to do straight-up missions from here on out.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 03:53:48 PM by kathode » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: