http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 08:59:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (360)Godfather-Why all the hate?  (Read 2770 times)
HankRaptor
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 28, 2006, 02:05:46 PM »

Now, maybe Im biased because I love the movie so much. Im also a HUGE fan of the period and Take 2 Mafia. But Im having a BLAST with Godfather for the 360. Im addicted to taking over rackets... The story is really cool (even though you know where this is all going) I love the fighting mechanism.. Throwing people off the roof is a ton of fun. The game is a blast.

Maybe Im biased, and the reviews have been so mediocre, that I wasnt expecting much. Great fun for me.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 02:42:09 PM »

this is getting some good word of mouth over at OO.  i think i'm picking it up this weekend.  and the reviews aren't really mediocre.  godfather on the 360 actually ranks higher overall than Just Cause. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 02:46:07 PM »

whiteboyskim liked the game on the original Xbox so I can imagine the 360 version might even be a bit better.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 03:36:00 PM »

i played it a bit,but havent gone back to it,due to playing just cause...but i liked it

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 05:46:13 PM »

I'm enjoying the game, but it's a bit more challenging than I was expecting.  That's not a bad thing, necessarily, but I'm still in the early stages of the game, and I'm finding it very difficult to attack the back rooms after extortion missions.  Maybe I'm trying to go hand-to-hand too much.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 06:29:23 PM »

The main complaint is that it's not fully a 360 title (just a slightly upgraded port of the Xbox version) and little more (a few missions and a few quality of life changes).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 07:19:36 PM »

i dont know about the 360 version, but I LOVED the xbox one.  from the character development (rpg, not story-wise), to the different ways to extort, to the hand to hand... man i had a lot of fun with it.  the fact that i could rob a bank, blow safes, walk into basically EVERY business etc etc really spoiled me for this type of free form game.  i was bored of saints row after a week and found myself missing this one (so maybe i SHOULD pick up the 360 version hehehe)

oh and bullwinkle the game is MUCH harder at the beginning.  actually when i first started playing i almost quit out of frustration a few times.  i was just trying to do too much with my guy - you get much more "uber" shortly once you level a few times and up your stats
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 07:28:36 PM »

I agree Doopri.  I really loved the PC version of the game also.  Seriously considering the xbox360 version simply because I think it'll be a blast.  Even though it's not a heck of a lot different than the PC version, supposedly.

Quote from: Doopri on September 28, 2006, 07:19:36 PM

oh and bullwinkle the game is MUCH harder at the beginning.  actually when i first started playing i almost quit out of frustration a few times.  i was just trying to do too much with my guy - you get much more "uber" shortly once you level a few times and up your stats

And buy the upgraded pistol (not the revolver, but the Colt automatic).
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 11:04:10 PM »

Thanks, guys.  I will say that something about this game keeps me coming back to it.

Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 11:20:10 PM »

I loved the game for the PS2, it was fantastic.
First day I played for about 8 hours, couldnt put it down.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 11:38:57 PM »

Where's all the hate?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 09:22:21 PM »

Quote from: warning on September 28, 2006, 02:46:07 PM

whiteboyskim liked the game on the original Xbox so I can imagine the 360 version might even be a bit better.

I did like it quite a bit but one of the things that annoyed me was not being able to recruit people to help out. You can do that in the 360 version which will make taking down warehouses and the other family compounds a lot more fun. In the Xbox version, you can pretty much walk through them if you buy the top-tier pistol (which is an automatic I think) so hopefully this adds a little more balance. Of course, if you have a team of thugs and the top-tier pistol you should be able to walk through the game with ease.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 06:06:43 PM »

Im struggling taking the compounds down.  How do I get the top-teir pistols? Some of the guns are 450,000.00 its insane.

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 08:25:50 PM »

And of course I upgraded the revolver (fortunately only once).  When will I find the pistol upgrades or can I/should I hunt them down in the first chapter (I'm in the roaming section before moving on to the next part of the story). 

Quote from: HankRaptor on October 03, 2006, 06:06:43 PM

Im struggling taking the compounds down.  How do I get the top-teir pistols? Some of the guns are 450,000.00 its insane.

And, yeah, what he said.  I robbed two banks, thinking it would get me a good chunk of change, but nowhere near the 75K I thought I needed for the revolver upgrade.  Weren't pistols, like, a quarter in the first half of last century?

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 09:22:44 PM »

The prices are insane, true. But here's what eventually lands you a lot of money - extortion rackets. Threaten as many locals as you can and each week you get a cut. As you move up in the Family, your cut grows in size. Also, on the map they should list a series of dollar signs next to each racket. The more dollar signs there are mean you get more money each week from that racket. Go for hotels, nightclubs, and so forth. That adds up quickly. By the end game I was pulling in so much money each week that I couldn't blow through it fast enough. If you don't mind a little power leveling then extort a series of top-dollar rackets in every corner of the map, then drive around and do smaller missions for about two to three weeks of in-game time. You should have a solid amount of money then.

Also, on the map there should be gold and black weapons scattered throughout the map. The black weapons show where you buy the first weapon upgrade and the gold one shows where you buy the second and most powerful upgrade. While the black weapons are nice, the gold ones are so ridiculously awesome that it's worth saving your money for. Especially the two pistols. Hopefully that helps.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2006, 12:15:58 AM »

Thanks dude. I am all over this game. Im enjoying just taking over rackets. Im hooked.

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2006, 01:33:22 AM »

I love this game as well. I wasn't expecting all that much....but I sure have had a blast with it.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2006, 01:48:21 AM »

I hope a demo comes out for the 360.  If I get a chance to try it out and like it I might pick it up during this surprisingly sparse holiday since Crackdown was delayed. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2006, 04:20:06 PM »

I finally gave The Godfather some quality time on the 360 over the weekend. Excellent game!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2007, 12:35:36 AM »

after my FF8 fiasco,i have started to play this game again

i liked the game first time,but this time i am really having a ball,new york looks better than i remembered it

the story is well done as well,having the scenes take place inbetween the scenes of the movie

looking forward to putting some hours into this one

oh,one thing though,i started a new game and unlike a lot of 360 games,i didnt have to delete my previous saved game,as it had 4 slots,so i start the game and straight away it gave me 250k(you dont usually start with 250k do you?)....i think i got the downloadable money for the last game(whenever that was),good to know that it can be used for new games as well,but i have no idea why i got the download on the last game as i really didnt need the money

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2007, 12:38:45 AM »

The Wii version rocked.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2007, 01:09:28 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 20, 2007, 12:38:45 AM

The Wii version rocked.

apart from the controls,were there any other differences?

and what about the PS3 version?...any differences there?

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2007, 01:16:02 AM »

The Wii version rocked.

I got back into the Wii version this weekend, as I previously only advanced as far as Associate. I was only planning on spending a few hours with it, but I've ended up having a marathon playfest with it; only 2 compounds away from making don now. As a Wii game it definitely has 1 of the better implimentations of the controls; the free aim mode just rocks!  slywink thumbsup
If only EA would have put a bit more effort into getting the graphics to a level that made use of the Wii's capabilities, this game would be considered a classic.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 01:27:37 AM by kronovan » Logged
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2007, 03:25:40 AM »

Interesting, I read IGN's review and they say its a 30+ hour game to play through it. That's pretty damn long, how does it hold up?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2007, 03:29:30 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 20, 2007, 01:09:28 AM

The Wii version rocked.

apart from the controls,were there any other differences?

I think that's pretty much what made the game.  I also think the skill system is slightly different in the Wii and PS3 versions from what the earlier versions had.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2007, 03:31:55 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on August 20, 2007, 01:16:02 AM

The Wii version rocked.

I got back into the Wii version this weekend, as I previously only advanced as far as Associate. I was only planning on spending a few hours with it, but I've ended up having a marathon playfest with it; only 2 compounds away from making don now. As a Wii game it definitely has 1 of the better implimentations of the controls; the free aim mode just rocks!  slywink thumbsup
If only EA would have put a bit more effort into getting the graphics to a level that made use of the Wii's capabilities, this game would be considered a classic.

I was surprised they got the controls to be so spot on.  The graphics didn't bother me too much since I was having a blast with the gameplay.  The guys who did Scarface for the Wii really should have paid attention to the control scheme- SF tried to do things the same way but was way too loose.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2007, 03:35:32 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on August 20, 2007, 03:25:40 AM

Interesting, I read IGN's review and they say its a 30+ hour game to play through it. That's pretty damn long, how does it hold up?

I had fun all the way through.  The main storyline is maybe 10 hours long, but in between missions you take over businesses and rackets of the rival families, perform hits and do favors.  I'd find myself going 'just one more business' or 'I can take down the Tattaglias within the hour if I keep going'.  I finished the game as Don of New York, pretty much doing everything there was to be done and none of it felt old in the end.

Because I can,
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2009, 04:10:35 PM »

After finally finishing Mass Effect on January 1st I've been trying to stick to one game at a time in order to work toward my New Year's Resolution of finishing at least 10 games this year, and so lately I've been focusing my time on The Godfather.  I've been easily distracted by World at War MP, but after Philadelphia's loss on Sunday I just haven't been up for much social gaming.

I finally reached "Capo" rank and now employ a pretty effective hired gun.  Last night I finally managed to take out the Tataglia compound and I have only one remaining business to extort in Little Italy to take over that entire area.  I think I only have two more Tataglia drug centers to bomb, I've completed the Monk and Tessio main storylines, and my character just reached Level 30.  Now that I've been playing with some regularity again I've really gotten back into the storyline and the gameplay.  My goal is the complete the main storyline and to reach "Don of New York", but beyond that I doubt I'll keep playing in order to crack ALL safes, extort ALL businesses, complete ALL favors, complete ALL assassinations, purchase ALL safehouses, etc.  I'm not so much of an achievement whore that I'll have to keep playing until all is completed, but I certainly plan to work to Don of New York, which I assume involves finishing the main storyline and continuing to level up my character by completing side missions.  I've already logged 25 total hours in the game and hope to complete it either sometime this weekend or perhaps by the end of next week. 

And then The Godfather will make two games officially finished (at least according to my criteria) in 2009. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2009, 04:30:11 PM »

Great game start to finish. Can't wait for the sequel next month.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2009, 04:38:23 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 23, 2009, 04:30:11 PM

Another reason why I'm scrambling to finish the first.  Although last night my wife and I were chatting while we were trying to fall asleep and she started asking me about my backlog and what I was going to play next after The Godfather.  Her eyes got consistently bigger as I listed game after game after game after game.   ninja

I'm really not sure what I'm going to play next.  I haven't even taken the plastic off of Far Cry 2, Mirror's Edge, and Fable 2, and I still have to finish Bioshock, GTA IV, Gears of War 2, COD:World at War, Fallout 3, Force Unleashed, and I think a few others.  I'm trying to stick with managable titles so that I'm not overwhelmed (Fallout 3 may have to wait a while), and so I may get back into a game I've already started, like Bioshock.  But I'm still just not as enamored as so many others were with the game.  Perhaps with more regular play it'll start to click a little more.  So, I guess my focus will remain on The Godfather and then perhaps Bioshock will be next.  That way I also get a break from the GTA formula before going back to GTA IV.

The Godfather is certainly not without its faults, but I think I picked it up on sale and with Best Buy Reward Zone coupons so I think I only paid around $20, and it is definitely worth that price of admission.  And now that my character has leveled up a fair bit and the story continues to develop I'm really enjoying the entire package.  I really like how the main storyline follows the timeline of the first film but your character gets to participate in aspects of the story not shown in the film (such as how Michael's gun is hidden in the bathroom for his meeting with Solozzo and the police captain, or how the horse head winds up in the producer's bed).  That really adds to your immersion into the story as your character participates in key parts of the Godfather storyline.   

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2009, 04:40:50 PM »

Don of New York involves taking over pretty much everything I think.  I finished the game on the Wii, and by the time I got to the last main storyline mission I had wiped out all the families and owned every business/racket, so I got the title right after I attained Godfather.

Because I can,
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2009, 04:49:08 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 23, 2009, 04:40:50 PM

Don of New York involves taking over pretty much everything I think.  I finished the game on the Wii, and by the time I got to the last main storyline mission I had wiped out all the families and owned every business/racket, so I got the title right after I attained Godfather.

Then it looks like I have a ways to go.  I have perhaps six or so businesses/rackets to take over in Brooklyn, one left in Little Italy, and I know I have a fair bit to do in Jersey and Midtown.  Mainly it'll be a challenge to blow up all of the family compounds.  I purchased the Level 3 Assassin's Pistol and it is lethal.  It has become my gun of choice when taking on rival families.  I think I'm going to really start saving my dough (and knocking over more banks - although the most I've gotten out of one is $8,000  disgust) as I'd like to get the Level 4 Pistol.  Although I've heard that the leveled-up shotgun is pretty badass as well.

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2009, 06:09:32 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on January 23, 2009, 04:49:08 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 23, 2009, 04:40:50 PM

Then it looks like I have a ways to go.  I have perhaps six or so businesses/rackets to take over in Brooklyn, one left in Little Italy, and I know I have a fair bit to do in Jersey and Midtown.  Mainly it'll be a challenge to blow up all of the family compounds.  I purchased the Level 3 Assassin's Pistol and it is lethal.  It has become my gun of choice when taking on rival families.  I think I'm going to really start saving my dough (and knocking over more banks - although the most I've gotten out of one is $8,000  disgust) as I'd like to get the Level 4 Pistol.  Although I've heard that the leveled-up shotgun is pretty badass as well.

I only played the game when it had level 3 weapons, and although all of them were very good (the level 3 magnum was a great weapon also), the Level 3 shotgun was ridiculous.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2009, 06:20:58 PM »

I tried the game several times and it just did nothing for me.  Not like Mafia did.  Not even close.  Can't say why other than it being an open world game as opposed to a story driven game just doesn't resonate with me at all.

At least I gave it the ole college try.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2009, 06:50:49 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on January 23, 2009, 04:38:23 PM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 23, 2009, 04:30:11 PM

Another reason why I'm scrambling to finish the first.  Although last night my wife and I were chatting while we were trying to fall asleep and she started asking me about my backlog and what I was going to play next after The Godfather.  Her eyes got consistently bigger as I listed game after game after game after game.   ninja

It's a sickness all us gamers have I think. smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: