http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 07:02:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360]Gears of War-Impressions  (Read 15210 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 11, 2006, 11:43:57 PM »

Quote from: papasmurff on November 11, 2006, 11:03:35 PM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on November 11, 2006, 10:50:49 PM

Yeah, you really gotta plug the hell out of the locusts on hardcore difficulty. 

I still don't have the hang of hit-locations in MP play, though.  I swear, every time I go toe-to-toe with someone, lancer v lancer, they put me down first.  And I'm aiming for the head.  Is there recoil, perhaps, that isn't being shown by the targeting reticule?

The single-player (and co-op, because I completed Act 1 with Calvin earlier today) is better than I expected it to be.

(this applies to MP) I know that this wouldn't be the case everytime, but perfect active reloads give you extra damage bullets.  It could just be that you are running into someone who just shot off some rounds and has extra damage....  Sometimes I will randomly fire at the start just to get them....I know (Cheap)

I didn't realize that.  Alot of times I don't even think to double click the reload button.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 11, 2006, 11:46:19 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 11, 2006, 11:43:57 PM

Quote from: papasmurff on November 11, 2006, 11:03:35 PM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on November 11, 2006, 10:50:49 PM

Yeah, you really gotta plug the hell out of the locusts on hardcore difficulty. 

I still don't have the hang of hit-locations in MP play, though.  I swear, every time I go toe-to-toe with someone, lancer v lancer, they put me down first.  And I'm aiming for the head.  Is there recoil, perhaps, that isn't being shown by the targeting reticule?

The single-player (and co-op, because I completed Act 1 with Calvin earlier today) is better than I expected it to be.

(this applies to MP) I know that this wouldn't be the case everytime, but perfect active reloads give you extra damage bullets.  It could just be that you are running into someone who just shot off some rounds and has extra damage....  Sometimes I will randomly fire at the start just to get them....I know (Cheap)

I didn't realize that.  Alot of times I don't even think to double click the reload button.
Yeah after the reload if you do it right there will be flashing bullets on the indicator and those are extra damage

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 11, 2006, 11:52:49 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 11, 2006, 08:32:56 PM

Seriously, I know this is stupid, but what the hell is a roadie run-I know what it refers to, but where did this term come from?

From the Gears of War F.A.Q. :

Epic Games has also added the "Roadie Run." The name "Roadie Run" comes from concerts where Roadies had to crouch and run short distances across the stage so as not to be seen.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 12, 2006, 12:02:09 AM »

Quote from: papasmurff on November 11, 2006, 03:39:52 PM

I guess that I would have to agree that the sniper is pretty much the key.  But like I have said, the key is really being able to use it.  Headshots count and if you hold still just long enough, or poke your head out, it is likely to get blown off.  I have had it happen to me and caused it to happen to others many times.  I still stick with my previous comments that it is balanced though.  You do have to headshot for the kill, anything else is meaningless. Even with people shooting the same target a missed headshot on a damaged person will only give you a down at most,if they are really hurt.  Could be my bias since the sniper seems to be a weapon that the other team doesn't want to see me grab!

It's a cheesegun.  Since everyone pops their head out at the same spot, you can aim directly where you know they will pop their head out...camp, and boom. Dead.  You could say the exact same thing with the assault rifle about shooting people in the chest, since shooting people in the chest with it takes forever to kill them, but with the assault rifle you can't one shot someone with it to the head.  

You were pissing me off so much last night with the cheesegun, I decided to charge you with the shotgun.  Sure, your buddy shot me after I had killed you, but so...satisfying otherwise slywink

Sorry I had to run, but my sister stopped by on her way back to Philly.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 12, 2006, 12:44:31 AM »

To be fair, your head only pops out in the same place, if you stay in the same place.  So far the best way to deal with a sniper is to be in motion as much as possible, preferrably with a teammate providing a distraction/suppressing fire.  It takes a bit to reload, even if the sniper gets a perfect active reload.  If you are within a certain distance you can rush them at that point, or just step out and mow them down.

Flanking is also very useful, if you can keep the sniper focused on one area, he/she can't be looking behind or to the side of themselves.

I've gotten SO frustrated against the sniper rifle at times, but, I know for myself that I should have ducked sooner, run sooner, rushed, etc.  There are lots of options, but it is hard to think of all of that while being pinned down. <shrug>

I lost my temper a bit last night during some 3v3.  The other team was working really well together, and my team couldn't talk to one of our guys.  That by itself makes things harder.  I was also pretty tired.  Put it together and it equals frustration.  We had a 3 round set where my team didn't even get a single down, much less a kill.

This does highlight the fact that teamwork and communication are crucial.  One of the things I like about the game.  Just not too happy to be continually on the wrong side of it for an hour.   icon_wink

Pikachu, I Blame you!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 12, 2006, 01:11:33 AM »

I was checking out the forums for Gears of War and it sounds like the mic issue is not just with Gears, but some other games too.  Supposedly the best solution is to disconnect/reconnect your wireless controller.

Because I can,
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 12, 2006, 01:15:38 AM »

There is a nice Clerks reference in the Achievements

Olaf, American girl think metal sexy

My love for you is like a truck, Berserker
I want you to suck my <bleep>, Berserker
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 01:17:23 AM by DamageInc » Logged

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 12, 2006, 01:32:41 AM »

Heh, those were some fun games today guys.... I'll look for you online tonight again.  Curb stomp FTW

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 12, 2006, 01:39:28 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on November 12, 2006, 12:44:31 AM

To be fair, your head only pops out in the same place, if you stay in the same place. 

No, I mean it pops out at the same vertical level from the standing or crouching position (so...2 places, predicated upon the height of the cover you're behind) every time.  All you need to know is what height cover the person is behind, and you know where their head will be when they pop out to shoot.

But you're right, there are a lot of tactics.  Flanking is important.

And I was just thinking Smoke Grenades would just screw up a sniper.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 12, 2006, 02:05:51 AM »

Quote from: Eightball on November 12, 2006, 01:39:28 AM

Quote from: Jarrodhk on November 12, 2006, 12:44:31 AM

To be fair, your head only pops out in the same place, if you stay in the same place. 
  Flanking is important.
And I was just thinking Smoke Grenades would just screw up a sniper.

Smoke does suck.  The only problem with it is the sniper might not be able to see you, but you can't see them.  I have been known to flank smoke or charge smoke and chainsaw a person.

MrDuck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: November 12, 2006, 04:50:27 AM »

Well, after a bit of GoW MP goodness with addamsappel and a few others, I can say that sniper rifles do not a saved man make you  icon_cool

My chainsaw will vouch in for that, hah!  icon_smile

Though it seems CoD 3 is getting much MP love too....damn, short on $ to buy it atm... disgust

Oh well, I'm still having a blast in the SP game, so, keep the Locust coming, rawr!

Xbox360 Live! Gamertag: Wuigi69
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 12, 2006, 08:44:50 AM »

holy crap this game is awesome!  i was having fun in the first two acts thursday night, but act 3 took things to a whole new level tonight.  the rain storm and mines look amazing, and facing off against the corpser was just awesome.  i also went back and had my first taste of the co-op game...absolutely perfect implementation and a hell of a lot of fun.  now i just need to pull myself away from the SP/co-op game long enough to get some other MP action in...

Quote from: DamageInc on November 12, 2006, 01:15:38 AM

There is a nice Clerks reference in the Achievements

Olaf, American girl think metal sexy

My love for you is like a truck, Berserker
I want you to suck my <bleep>, Berserker

there are quite a few funny references in the achievements.  the achievement for 100 kills with the torque bow is called 'The Nuge' in reference to Ted Nugent and his enthusiasm for bow hunting.  100 kills with the Hammer of Dawn gets you the 'Don't Hurt Em' achievement...probably a reference to MC Hammer's hit album Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'Em.  pretty slick icon_cool
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 08:49:29 AM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 12, 2006, 01:53:50 PM »

Previously I have never replayed a game that I finished.  But GoW might be the first.  I am considering going back to play on hardcore once I finish up casual.  I love the "Boomers."  They are not all that tough to kill. but they remind me of the Barons of Hell from Doom the way they lumber around and fire off rockets at you.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: November 12, 2006, 02:34:27 PM »

I am trying to beat it hardcore.  Didn't even consider casual.  Can't wait to try insane level.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: November 12, 2006, 02:40:44 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on November 12, 2006, 02:34:27 PM

I am trying to beat it hardcore.  Didn't even consider casual.  Can't wait to try insane level.

I've been doing that co-op with a friend. Short of the truck level (pain in the ass for many cheap reasons), we've done it with only a few problems (as you die WAY too easily at that difficulty, and the AI can just charge through your hail of bullets and melee you before you kill your target).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: November 12, 2006, 05:22:11 PM »

Oh, don't get me wrong, I have died oodles of times.  But I don't mind the challenge when the game is this fun.  A few times I have had to redeaux a section a dozen times or so.  I am currently on the get-the-vehicle level at the gas station and I have dies about 8 times so far.  I will eventually get it.  Love trying to figure out just the right stategy to use to win.  That is my favorite part, aside from the graphics, is trying to figure out what weapon, which enemies to kill and in what order, and from what vantage point-in the building or out of it or what.  All the choices and combinations.  Love it. 

I am probably at about 6 hours right now and I think the length is going to be just right at this difficulty level.  Insane may be a whole different story.  I suspect it is NOT beatable by one person under any circumstances and by someone at any skill level.  That one, I think, will take Coop to beat because of cheap shots and cheap damage settings.

But I absolutely love the game.  Ranks so far in my top 5 of all time.  Yeah, I kinda like it, and haven't even tried multi yet.  Never do that til the SP is done.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 12, 2006, 07:04:38 PM »

I am still loving the game.  I am about halfway through Act 4 on Hardcore, and if I had to do it again I would start it over on Casual. I replayed a few levels on casual the other day and I am absolutely convinced that that was the difficulty level that all the game mechanics were designed to be played on. Cover, suppression, flanking, pop and shoot-even stuff like grenade and sniper damage just feel better, play better, and play more smoothly above all. I am so far in on hardcore that I will finish it just to do it-but this is a game I want to replay, and I want to replay it on casual. Don't get me wrong, its not that I find it too hard on hardcore, but having to reload the same fight area 15 times because you get through all the enemies and then are insta-killed by something at the end by accident, or because a wretch sneaks up on you right as the last enemy goes down is simply maddeningly frustrating. This is about a 8-10 hour game that has easily taken me 10 hours on act 4 and its from reloading-frustrating reloading. It would be less frustrating if I was dying because it was hard rather than dying because I was getting cheesed at the end of fights and before a long checkpoint.

Still, don't get me wrong. I LOOOOVE this game.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: November 12, 2006, 07:07:51 PM »

You know that every time you load your game you can select the difficulty, right?  No need to slog away at one that is causing frustration.  Although I have found a couple spots where I keep dying over and over even on casual.  Sad. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
MrDuck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: November 12, 2006, 07:10:03 PM »

Gaming goodness...can't wait to co-op (I'm expecting a friend to buy it today). I'm also at the level after the Stranded encampment, where I have to find the vehicle at the gas station.  eek

Not sure how many hours I've clocked into this baby, but I'm pretty sure it's more than 3 - 4 (and they say it takes about 6 in casual...dayum...) what I've been playing so far (obviously counting replays).  finger

I may be spoken for in co-op atm, but I'm all-for-all in some good MP (had me another sessions with JarrodHK and some friends of his, though this time I sucked a bit...mea culpa).  icon_surprised

Rarararararrrrr!!!

After having Live! for about 2 years (since my Xbox), but rarely touching it, it feels -great- to use it on a semi-daily basis...I've missed much, but not anymore  icon_cool

And I -can't- wait to get my GRAW groove on (hopefully not many GTers have moved away from it yet), and later on my Rainbow Six Vegas boogie. Woooe...

On a small side-note: anyone notice that shooters with cover mechanics being the new "it" thing?, well, I guess some trends are a must (like leaning to peek in corners).

Xbox360 Live! Gamertag: Wuigi69
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 12, 2006, 07:37:52 PM »

I shiver at the though of the final boss on hardcore. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 12, 2006, 07:45:12 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 12, 2006, 07:07:51 PM

You know that every time you load your game you can select the difficulty, right?  No need to slog away at one that is causing frustration.  Although I have found a couple spots where I keep dying over and over even on casual.  Sad. 
Oh I know-but im 80% through the game on hardcore. My gamer machoism won't let me even consider finishing on normal now-thats for my second playthrough (most likely coop).
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: November 12, 2006, 10:09:25 PM »

Just killed the Corpser (kind of a let down-thought there would be much more to it-think they cheezed out on us there) and am now fighting the battle to plant the resonator.  Almost done I think on hardcore.  The underground stuff is beeuuutiful.  Can't remember a game since God of War and Resident Evil 4 that grabbed me like this and wouldn't let go.  Loooove it. 

If my next big want, Lost Planet, is as good as this those two games alone would have been worth the purchase of the system for me.  And I don't even have an hdtv.  Can't imagine how good it would look on that, but can't afford all these games AND a tv, so...

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 12, 2006, 11:18:37 PM »

I really like the versus better than the coop, but most of you and the OO guys are too wrapped up in the campaign to play slywink
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: November 13, 2006, 12:38:03 AM »

Finished the entire game on Hardcore tonite.  Planning on co-oping through Insane with my brother at some point.  And I still need to try Multi.

Gripes I had:

-The friendly AI is embarassingly bad.  This confused me because the enemy AI was actually pretty good.

-Suppressive fire didn't always "work" when it should have.  I understand the heavily armored shotgun guys are basically balls-to-the-wall rushers, but enemy rifle infantry or light infantry responding to suppressive fire was kind of spotty and made some sections frustrating (like the push-the-car-across-the-bridge thing).

-Some stuff is sort of ridiculous, at least on Hardcore.  The section right after you get the Bow, for instance, took me 20+ tries.  The final boss was also sort of assy, but I felt like he was actually pretty straightforward/"fair" once your tactics and reflexes were down.

Aside from those issues, (and a weak story for a post-Half-Life 2 world), the game is fucking incredible.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 13, 2006, 01:25:09 AM »

I don't have any impressions yet as I don't have the game, but I just found out I won a copy from a blog I read, so I should get it this week.  This is good because I really wanted this game, but my self-imposed one home console game at a time rule is in effect and I chose something else over it.  I will post impressions when I get the game later this week.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: November 13, 2006, 02:36:59 AM »

Fighting this last boss...if these controllers weren't so damned expensive mine would have hit the wall by now.  Hard.  Aaarrrrgh!

papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 13, 2006, 02:47:18 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 13, 2006, 02:36:59 AM

Fighting this last boss...if these controllers weren't so damned expensive mine would have hit the wall by now.  Hard.  Aaarrrrgh!

Resist the temptation.  I know that it is hard.  Here is how to beat him if you want.  I am not sure if it was already posted so I spoil tagged it for those of you who want to figure it out on your own.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Hit him with Nades which will damage him through the birds and snipe the hell out of his head when the birds fly away.  Just be sure to stay in the light so that the birds don't cut you into little pieces.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: November 13, 2006, 03:42:28 AM »

Thanks for the tips, papa!  Thankfully, I did finally beat that mofo!  I don't think I would even attempt that on a harder difficulty.  One of my problems was that sometimes even if I was in the light (like behind that first barricade) the damn bats would still attack me and obviously end me.  It may have been because I was standing up or something, but I was still in the damn light! 

It also helped when I just gave up on trying to keep Dom alive.  That guy is a tard sometimes. 

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 13, 2006, 04:00:10 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 13, 2006, 03:42:28 AM

Thanks for the tips, papa!  Thankfully, I did finally beat that mofo!  I don't think I would even attempt that on a harder difficulty.  One of my problems was that sometimes even if I was in the light (like behind that first barricade) the damn bats would still attack me and obviously end me.  It may have been because I was standing up or something, but I was still in the damn light! 

It also helped when I just gave up on trying to keep Dom alive.  That guy is a tard sometimes. 

Yeah probably 90% of my deaths are from trying to save Dom. mad

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 13, 2006, 04:06:07 AM »

I've been letting him stay down so I can finish the fight and then revive him.  Of course, I'm still on Act 1 so it might change where I may need him....

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 13, 2006, 04:55:55 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 13, 2006, 04:06:07 AM

I've been letting him stay down so I can finish the fight and then revive him.  Of course, I'm still on Act 1 so it might change where I may need him....

Nah, there is pretty much never any reason to go out of your way to save Dom. 
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 13, 2006, 05:15:50 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 13, 2006, 04:55:55 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 13, 2006, 04:06:07 AM

Nah, there is pretty much never any reason to go out of your way to save Dom. 
Screw Dom  icon_wink

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: November 13, 2006, 07:34:03 AM »

I wouldn't mind a feature to direct where your troops go.  I know GoW is a action shooter as much as it is tactical, but this feature could be optional, but it would help the game appeal more to the tactical types.

Anyone else think it's kinda weird that the cloaking technology was wasted on the robot?  If they had antigravity and cloaking technology, why aren't they using it more?

Anyway, I beat the game tonight after a big binge of playing.  Thankfully I forsee the MP mode being played on my system for a while.

Some things I want to see for GoW2. 
More squad control, but make it optional and fix Friendly AI to actually have some sense of self preservation, same for enemy AI and suppression.  I never once used the squad commands in the game.  The cease fire ability actually made them hold fire, instead of simply staying put and returning fire, and frankly I didn't want to use the attack command because my troops would all too often blindly rush forward anyways.  I did find my squad very useful, but sometimes they were just a frustrating element, especially at the higher difficulty levels.  One interesting way to handle this is to give the player an overhead view from Jack (the robot).  Otherwise, if a playe doesn't want to use it the AI still behaves as normal.

A bigger MP mode for use on specific bigger maps.  Maybe having a human vs. locusts with classes of a sort.  Humans have soldiers with skills such as medic, but mostly the same.  But locusts can become different species, even allowing players to become wretches.  Boomers are huge and take a lot of hits, but can only use very large cover.

Make the grenade throw indicator a little clearer to read at long range.

More difficulty settings at start.  Hardcore was simply too hard and frustrating for people who "know how to do a headshot".  A level in between hardcore and casual would be perfect.  Only slightly increase the health of locusts, slight increase of damage taken.  Better tactics used by both sides.

An option for the execution mode to have weapons that one shot kill (rocket launcher, sniper rifle, bow) instead just down a person.

Add a move to automatically round a 90 degree corner in cover without detaching.

Change the grenade tag to be a bit more like the chainsaw, it can be interrupted if shot.  In multiplayer

Make the Locus default rifle a bit more useful somehow in MP.  I have no idea what that weapon is good for.  It fires in burst, seems to do a bit more damage, but lacks the range of the lancer.  I wonder how effective it is when perfect reloaded.

4 player co-op.  It doesn't have to be in the SP campaign, just some form of it.  However, since there's now 4 established characters in Marcus' squad, and each one has their own personality/abilities, I forsee a very interesting co-op mode where each character is responsible for certain tasks.

A dynamic lean system where by moving the left stick while leaning out of cover with the L-trigger makes you lean farther, closer, higher, or lower depending on which way you push the stick.  This would also help deal with snipers dominating the map.  They could even add a feature that would make you lean out a random amount each time you just push the LT down.

Maybe the ability to crawl a short distance very slowly while bleeding out.

Let me take on one of the bigger creatures that the locusts, perhaps in a Aliens inspired sequence involving a large powersuit.

Some wants for the next game that contain spoilers for that that haven't finished the game:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Get rid of the stupid UV turret driving sequence.  I can't believe they kept this in game.  That sequence was simply not fun at all.  Way to drive down the action by firing a beam that switches on and off at an enemy that flits around like crazy.  Not only is firing the turret not fun, you actually have to stop the vehicle and switch to the turret to fire.  I mean, why didn't they simply attach a fire flares to their vehicle, problem solved.  If they really wanted a driving sequence, they should have had it with the fully equipped APC.

A better story, I was itching to have some secrets revealed, such as why Marcus' father had information on locust tunnels.  An in game explanation of why Marcus was court marshalled and jailed would have been good.  Would have added more poignancy to Marcus returning to his father's house.  What were those devices that Baird found?  How did he know it was Marcus' father that planet them.

Better storytelling overall would have been nice.  Now, don't get me wrong, the gameplay in GoW is great, but they missed a real opportunity to trump Halo by not employing better and more storytelling elements.  Marcus had a lot more potential for character development than the Master Chief, and they squandered it.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 08:23:21 AM by Turtle » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 13, 2006, 01:32:33 PM »

Better storytelling overall would have been nice.  Now, don't get me wrong, the gameplay in GoW is great, but they missed a real opportunity to trump Halo by not employing better and more storytelling elements.  Marcus had a lot more potential for character development than the Master Chief, and they squandered it.

I feel fairly confident that material/levels were removed.  For example:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The game itself never mentions why he's in prison.  You have to read the manual to find out that he violated orders in order to save his father.  Considering that Fenix's father turns out to be the key to the game since he has the seismic charts, you'd expect some kind of link there.  As presented in the game, though, it seems rather pointless that it was the Fenix estate instead of any other house.  Also, there seemed to be a lack of connectivity between some of the missions- they sort of came out of nowhere.

BTW, I really enjoyed
Spoiler for Hiden:
the vehicle/turret sequence.  Thought it was rather cool and short enough that it never overstayed it's welcome
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 13, 2006, 03:24:40 PM »

I got reloading down pretty good since I read about the 'perfect reloads'.  I just click the reload, say one word in my head, and then click again.  Apparently there are achievments for it too- I got two of them last nights (Zen and the Art of Reloading  icon_lol).

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: November 13, 2006, 06:47:57 PM »

One move I would like to see in a future game is a roll-over move, where if I am hunkered against a concrete barrier or whatever I can hit this move and quickly hop/roll over the top and take cover on the other side now facing the opposite direction.  It's frustrating to hop over it and then get turned around and holding 'A' trying to take cover again.  Plus, there were times I would be running around to flank and accidentally ran into a barrier so took cover but my back was to the enemy and they wasted me before I could get out of there or return fire.

Also, I really dislike the delay between hitting 'A' and starting your run or taking cover.  It should be nearly instantaneous.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 03, 2007, 04:22:23 AM »

Sorry for the thread Necromancy, but now that I've finished Bioshock, I'm starting up Gears of War (Only had my Xbox for a month).  I had also been holding off on playing until I got an HDTV to play this on.  42" of Gears of War sure is special!

Wowie-wow!  I had never even seen this game in motion, I just had known about it since it was the big Xmas game for MS last year.  Holy hell, this is what I'm talking about.  Nothing major to add to this old discussion, just loving my journey so far!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 03, 2007, 11:23:39 AM »

Hey cool, glad I'm not the only one that's gonna be late late late to the Gears party.  I'm still holding out on buying it until I get my HDTV in a couple months.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: September 03, 2007, 12:02:09 PM »

I just picked up a 32" HDTV today, but unfortunately with my 360 in repairs I don't have any really impressive things to play on it.  The PS2 and Wii via composite just aren't all that snazzy.  I can't wait to get my XBox back so I can see Gears (and my other games) the way it was meant to be!  (although I had seen them in higher res via a VGA cable and crappy older 21" monitor)

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 03, 2007, 01:43:32 PM »

Gotta give the MP a whirl. It was my first real MP experience and I played it for days and days and days.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: