http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 08:31:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360]Gears of War-Impressions  (Read 15169 times)
disarm
Gaming Trend Senior Member

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2006, 02:55:53 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 08, 2006, 02:42:49 AM

Quote from: wonderpug on November 07, 2006, 11:36:38 PM

I would love any impressions from someone playing on a standard def TV on how the game looks.  There's a free +1 in it for you

The 1Up guys were raving about how great it looked in SD on their most recent podcast.  They basically said that while much of the 360's lineup needs to be experienced in HD to be really impressive, people will be be blown away by Gears on even SDTVs.

personally, i was pretty much blown away by all 360 games on an SDTV before i made the upgrade to HD.  i have yet to see a game that doesn't still look great in SD, but i do have to admit that playing on a bigscreen HDTV is a totally different experience.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2006, 03:24:48 AM »

In case there isn't enough evidence that you need to go pick this up as soon as it hits your local store, check out this review roundup.  Jimminy jillickers!

Sandwiches do fix everything.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2006, 04:51:26 AM »

I played the single player for about an hour and meh it was okay.  The graphics were good and everything but it just wasn't clicking.  So I tried some multiplayer a little better alot of fun even though I didn't know any of the guys.  Then I went and played GH2 for about an hour then picked up GOW again and did the single player co-op over live and man did that make a difference.  The game is a lot better if you play coop you can crank up the level and have a blast. 

papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2006, 05:11:33 AM »

Agreed that co-op is the way to go.  Jarrod and I are almost done with it.....we are working on the last boss right now......

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2006, 05:32:38 AM »

GoW is completed...... Jarrodhk and I took down the game in about 7hrs co-op start to finish.....  Next up will either be CoD3 or Multi or even harder in GoW....

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2006, 06:33:36 AM »

Quote from: papasmurff on November 08, 2006, 05:32:38 AM

GoW is completed...... Jarrodhk and I took down the game in about 7hrs co-op start to finish.....  Next up will either be CoD3 or Multi or even harder in GoW....
lol, seven hours.  Makes me wonder why I'm not just renting it.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2006, 06:40:47 AM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on November 08, 2006, 06:33:36 AM

Well you have to consider that it was on co-op on the easiest setting.  We just finished running the multi and had a lot of fun with it.....

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2006, 06:41:19 AM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on November 08, 2006, 06:33:36 AM

Probably take longer without coop-plus the multiplayer you know!
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2006, 06:43:06 AM »

Yep the multiplayer is surprising fun, even with just the execution mode.  Lots of room for tactics.  Papa and Devout Sinner were doing some really good teamwork the last match we played tonight.  Can't wait to get 4v4 going.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2006, 06:45:13 AM »

Yeah, great MP tonight.  Me and Devout had a pretty good game of cat and mouse going on the graveyard map.  I have a feeling this may be one of those titles where I never really touch the single player game (kinda like GRAW).

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2006, 07:01:05 AM »

I hear ya Ceekay, the difference with Gears being that you can play co-op with someone over live.  Makes it a lot easier to get motivated to run through the sp that way.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Irongut
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2006, 12:35:12 PM »

I played Gears of War Warzone for hours last night.  I couldnt stop, till my eyes were too tired.  Great fun from 9:00 to about 1:30 am.  The kills were very over the top and satisfying in way that just had me guffawing at the brutality of it.  I have never seen 'gibs' like this before, it gives the term new meaning.  Even being on the receiving end of a kill was just hilarious at times.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 01:52:25 PM by Irongut » Logged
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2006, 01:17:11 PM »

How long would you guys guess a typical 4vs4 would last in minutes?  Are we talking 5 minutes, 15 minutes, 40 minutes per match?  I'm just curious how long you foresee a match lasting.

Also, can someone describe how the multiplayer is set up exactly?  Do we form a room with 8 GT'ers then divide teams and play, or does one person start a game and invite 7 others in, or do you only form up your own team of 4 and have no choice of who you fight against?  Etc.. etc.. 

Thanks.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2006, 01:27:18 PM »

Picking this up today, can't wait, would love to do multiplayer, especially coop through the campaign.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2006, 01:43:09 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 08, 2006, 01:27:18 PM

Picking this up today, can't wait, would love to do multiplayer, especially coop through the campaign.

I'd be up for this too.  Sounds like fun.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Irongut
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2006, 01:54:05 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on November 08, 2006, 01:17:11 PM

How long would you guys guess a typical 4vs4 would last in minutes?  Are we talking 5 minutes, 15 minutes, 40 minutes per match?  I'm just curious how long you foresee a match lasting.

Also, can someone describe how the multiplayer is set up exactly?  Do we form a room with 8 GT'ers then divide teams and play, or does one person start a game and invite 7 others in, or do you only form up your own team of 4 and have no choice of who you fight against?  Etc.. etc.. 

Thanks.

I wasnt the host, but from what i saw.  A room is setup, folks can switch back and forth to arrange the teams.  The host sets up the number of rounds needed to win the map.  Only limitation was it didnt appear you could change the MP mode with everyone in the teamroom.  You might have to drop, host changes the mode and re-invite.

I ended up expanding my impressions of MP last night on my GWJ post, so here is a bit more....

The matches were fast and furious with the maps sized great for the squad sizes with plenty of tactical options. Navigating cover as your teammates flank the enemy and setting up kill-zones was fantastic. Each of the maps seemed to offer unique strategic issues to address, teams seemed to rotate sides of the map each round. The cover system is really simple and works well in MP.

When you see your teammate go down, there is a great rush as you try to work your way over and save them before they receive their final deathblow from the enemy and great disappointment those times you cant make it.

Memorable moments:
1) Flanking a human and double chain sawing him with a fellow Locust from both sides simultaneously
2) Trying to cross some train tracks with my squad, and we all get squashed by a passing train. It was just too funny.
3) Seeing a buddy, or what I think is him, bleeding and in need of resuscitation on a ledge above. I got up there to only find out it was his decapitated head on the railing splurting blood.
4) Multiple enemies incoming and jumping from cover to cover to try and get some space to setup a futile killzone.
5) The blood... the blood!

There were too many fun moments along the way. Great, great fun.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 01:57:11 PM by Irongut » Logged
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2006, 02:14:56 PM »

Thanks foor posting those multiplayer impressions Irongut -- that was my biggest worry about the game, and it seems like it is a pretty usable setup! 

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2006, 02:42:03 PM »

On these Cog tags, anyone know if there are one per level?  Or has someone encountered more than one on a level?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2006, 02:59:48 PM »

Well I went to at least a dozen stores yesterday trying to get this with no luck.
I have it pre-ordred at Best Buy and the only stores that had the pre-orders was Game Crazy
I guess I will be waiting until tonight

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2006, 03:06:48 PM »

Just called the Best Buy near me, and they're saying they'll have it at 2.  Not that it does me a lot of good, since I'll get in a little time late tonight, and then won't be on again until tuesday night.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2006, 03:13:18 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 08, 2006, 02:42:03 PM

On these Cog tags, anyone know if there are one per level?  Or has someone encountered more than one on a level?

Nevermind.  That someone is me.  I found two on the second level, in fact.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2006, 03:44:04 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 08, 2006, 03:13:18 PM

What's the deal with the Cog tags?  Are they for unlocking something or just Achievements or what?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2006, 04:00:40 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 08, 2006, 03:44:04 PM

What's the deal with the Cog tags?  Are they for unlocking something or just Achievements or what?

They are for achievements only.  You get them every 10 and there are 30.  Jarrod and I beat the game last night and on the first run we picked up 15.....  there are 5 acts so my guess would be 6 per act and probably 2 (it seemed like about 3 scenes) per scene...that was just a guess though..

depward

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2006, 04:44:37 PM »

Multiplayer sounds like a blast.  I wonder if two people can play on split screen over Live multiplayer...

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2006, 04:52:15 PM »

Quote from: papasmurff on November 08, 2006, 04:00:40 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 08, 2006, 03:44:04 PM

They are for achievements only.  You get them every 10 and there are 30.  Jarrod and I beat the game last night and on the first run we picked up 15.....  there are 5 acts so my guess would be 6 per act and probably 2 (it seemed like about 3 scenes) per scene...that was just a guess though..

How long did it take you to play through?

papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2006, 08:21:53 PM »

7 hrs start to finish... started at 430 and finished at 1130 with a dinner break.  Granted it was co-op

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2006, 09:01:58 PM »

Quote from: depward on November 07, 2006, 09:59:56 PM

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on November 07, 2006, 09:30:06 PM

Hm.  Anyone have any ideas on how I could get away with exchanging a new copy of Phantasy Star Universe for Gears of War?  Does the "got it as a gift" line still work?
Dude, that works 100% of the time at Wal-Mart.  Never had any sort of problem with it.
Well the cunts at EB wouldn't do it, so I guess I get to take a bus to Wal-Mart this weekend or some shit.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2006, 09:17:18 PM »

Good lord man, is it just me, or are you getting even more curmudgeonly lately.  saywhat

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2006, 09:37:36 PM »

So, my local EB/Gamestop fucked up yet again when it came to shipping in Arizona. The CE edition didn't show up, but the normal one did.

Makes me glad I only ordered the regular edition.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2006, 09:39:26 PM »

The horror....followed by the sweet smell of victory....or at least new game smell.

Got an automated call about 30 minutes ago:  "Due to delivery issues beyond our control, your game <cut in voice>Gears of War</cut in voice> may not be available.  Before you make a trip to your store, please contact your store to confirm delivery."

Quick call to BB and I now have the game.  Now....does anybody know the EBGames preorder cancellation policy before I call them?

- shaggy

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2006, 09:42:25 PM »

Quote from: shaggydoug on November 08, 2006, 09:39:26 PM

The horror....followed by the sweet smell of victory....or at least new game smell.

Got an automated call about 30 minutes ago:  "Due to delivery issues beyond our control, your game <cut in voice>Gears of War</cut in voice> may not be available.  Before you make a trip to your store, please contact your store to confirm delivery."

Quick call to BB and I now have the game.  Now....does anybody know the EBGames preorder cancellation policy before I call them?

- shaggy

No issues with cancellation- they'll refund your money or put it toward a different preorder.  I do it all the time.

Yeah, there seems to be some major shipping issues going on.  I just barely got mine over lunch- the store I preordered at didn't receive any copies in their shipment so they had to bum some spare copies from another store in the area but didn't have enough to cover all preorders so it was first come first serve.  My wife called me a few minutes ago to let me know that we had the same automated message on our answering machine (she didn't know I already had the game).

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2006, 10:24:48 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on November 08, 2006, 09:17:18 PM

Good lord man, is it just me, or are you getting even more curmudgeonly lately.  saywhat

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2006, 10:26:35 PM »

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2006/11/08/error-do-not-pass-go-do-not-collect-gow/

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2006, 11:05:30 PM »

And update:

All EB/Gamestop stores in Arizona got nothing as far as shipment goes for the game. They blame Fed-Ex yet again.

What the fuck is going on?

What makes no sense is I have friends in New Jersey who got their game in yesterday via EB.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2006, 11:11:04 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 08, 2006, 11:05:30 PM

And update:

All EB/Gamestop stores in Arizona got nothing as far as shipment goes for the game. They blame Fed-Ex yet again.

What makes no sense is I have friends in New Jersey who got their game in yesterday via EB.

Thank god I sent my wife to Fry's to get it $10 cheaper.  icon_cool

LiveTAG: happydog
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2006, 11:16:18 PM »

I played it for about half an hour today on a 25ft movie screen.  At that size the gibs from the chainsaw deaths are about as tall as me icon_lol  Didn't get much into the meat of the gameplay but it sho' is pretty.  The only possible annoyance I could see is that packing everything onto the A button means you do a lot of rolling when you want to cover and vice versa and everything else.

Oh yeah, we got the same "shipping problem" speech with my Gamestop's manager telling me "no stores on the East Coast have it in today!"  He offered me $5 off tomorrow.  I called another EB and they had it, but only for preorders.  The guy on the phone was a total ass to me and referred to me as "buddy" :icon_confused:  Hell with EB. Calvin went out and got our copies at Best Buy down the road.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 11:19:11 PM by kathode » Logged
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2006, 11:38:39 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 08, 2006, 11:05:30 PM

And update:

i got the same story at Gamestop just outside Hartford, CT...no shipment today because FedEx left it sitting at a station in Tennessee.  interestingly enough, i stopped at a Toys'R'Us right next door and they made the same claim...FedEx supposedly screwed up their delivery as well.  i tried to get lucky at Circuit City and BestBuy, but didn't have any luck...CC didn't have the game at all yet, and the guy at BB said they had just sold the last copy about 10 minutes earlier.  i guess i'll have to wait until tomorrow and press Gamestop for my $5 off...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2006, 12:01:52 AM »

Same story here.  I live in Pennsylvania, but I work and buy all my games in Jersey.  No shipments... stuck in Tennessee.

Kinda' funny actually.  The guy at the store told me EB's in (some area, I don't know how big, I wasn't really listening) were estimating about a $60,000 loss in one day due to the FedEx malfunction and people going other places to buy the game.  That really made me laugh.  Couldn't happen to a better company!   icon_wink

Of course, if this happens with Medieval Total War 2 or SupCom, I won't be laughing...

Therefore, my initial impressions so far:  I want to hear more about the multiplayer from you guys please.  Cause 7 hours is a short freakin' game.   

LD

StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2006, 12:09:53 AM »

Same story in North Carolina.  They actually stated they got some regular editions, but no collectors editions.  I'm seriously considering saying screw Gamestop and just wait till this weekend to get it from a Best Buy or Target.  Companies have to have consequences and repercusions no matter what reason for the screwup. finger
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 12:12:16 AM by StitchJones » Logged
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2006, 12:24:29 AM »

Wow, same here.  Day 2 without GOW.  I remember 2 weeks ago the kid behind the counter saying I would get a call on Monday, have the game in my hands by Tues.  I even said "we'll see" and he went on and on about how EB were th only ones to get the game early, and how if I went to Best Buy I would have to wait till the 12th.  I called my EB today, they said to call tomorrow after 1, hopefully they will have them by then. The manager didnt sound very confident, although I do get 5 bucks off.

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: