http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 10:32:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360]Gears of War-Impressions  (Read 15211 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2006, 04:45:24 PM »

Lets get with the impressions.  If you actually get it today count yourself as lucky as most seem to be getting it tomorrow

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 04:46:23 PM »

My only question is....do you have any control over your AI squadmates?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 04:53:20 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 07, 2006, 04:45:24 PM

If you actually get it today count yourself as lucky as most seem to be getting it tomorrow

I just called my local EB.  They're sending someone to the airport and it should be in around 4pm.  I can pick it up on my way from work tonight.  Of course I feel sick as a dog, so I may end up grabbing it, going home and crawling into bed.  :icon_sad:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 05:03:07 PM »

I'll say nothing else until I get my copy tomorrow afternoon; but I am envious of all of you who manage to get it today! 

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 05:19:11 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 07, 2006, 04:53:20 PM

I just called my local EB.  They're sending someone to the airport and it should be in around 4pm.  I can pick it up on my way from work tonight.  Of course I feel sick as a dog, so I may end up grabbing it, going home and crawling into bed.  :icon_sad:

Same here...  Except I feel even worse than that.  I am definately going home and crawling into bed as fast as I can after work.  Talk about coming on all-of-a-sudden.  Blech!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 05:36:55 PM »

Hmmm...  just called Gamestop and they say they have the game.  Now.  Of course I have class until 3:15.  <shakes fist at reality>

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 05:40:29 PM »

Sorry to hear everyone isn't feeling well.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 06:06:23 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on November 07, 2006, 05:36:55 PM

<shakes fist at reality>

I wish reality would get off my lawn, too.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 06:22:35 PM »

Shoot I guess I should call, I didn't think any stores would get it in until at least midnight!
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 06:27:02 PM »

Some areas got it early, and it isn't street dated, so they can sell it on receipt.
I don't understand why a title of this magnitude wasn't street dated...to create more buzz, perhaps?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 06:39:57 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 07, 2006, 06:22:35 PM

Shoot I guess I should call, I didn't think any stores would get it in until at least midnight!

Oh goddamnit, only one of the 10+ stores I called locally is getting it today, and he doesn't know if he will have any non-preorder surplus at all.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 07:27:01 PM »

Quote from: Scoop20906 on November 07, 2006, 05:40:29 PM

Or is it just preparation for tomorrow, so they can call in "sick" to work?  Hmmmmmmm.  It'd be an ingenious plan (though I'm sure here people would just admit to playing hooky).

And EDITED to clarify; the joking aside; feel better guys!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 07:32:39 PM by JLu » Logged

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 07:34:51 PM »

Quote from: JLu on November 07, 2006, 07:27:01 PM

Quote from: Scoop20906 on November 07, 2006, 05:40:29 PM

Or is it just preparation for tomorrow, so they can call in "sick" to work?  Hmmmmmmm.  It'd be an ingenious plan (though I'm sure here people would just admit to playing hooky).

And EDITED to clarify; the joking aside; feel better guys!

Actually, you are right they are playing slick  icon_biggrin :slywink:

Feel better LD and CK

NiM$
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 08:13:11 PM »

I'll have mine at 4PM! smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006, 09:04:17 PM »

The district mgr for our game store in Little Rock drove to Memphis to pick up the game so we got it around
1:30.  Too bad my lunch was over then so I will hopefully get to play at 5:03.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2006, 09:25:42 PM »

Heading out with Papasmurff to acquire copies in the next 15 or so.  Will be online playing by 4:30 cent. I would imagine.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2006, 09:30:06 PM »

Hm.  Anyone have any ideas on how I could get away with exchanging a new copy of Phantasy Star Universe for Gears of War?  Does the "got it as a gift" line still work?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2006, 09:32:32 PM »

Picked it up around 1:30PM. Brought my 360 into work and hooked it up to our HDTV. Been playing for about 2-3 hours now, both SP and SP-COOP. I like how you can play SP and then continue via COOP later. Graphics are amazing!
I will probably leave the 360 here until Friday and play in between jobs.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2006, 09:36:46 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on November 07, 2006, 09:32:32 PM

Picked it up around 1:30PM. Brought my 360 into work and hooked it up to our HDTV. Been playing for about 2-3 hours now, both SP and SP-COOP. I like how you can play SP and then continue via COOP later. Graphics are amazing!

That's it?? Tongue  How 's  the gameplay?  Is the AI team-mates brain dead?   More impressions!!!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 09:40:33 PM by Soulchilde » Logged

NiM$
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2006, 09:37:47 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on November 07, 2006, 09:30:06 PM

Hm.  Anyone have any ideas on how I could get away with exchanging a new copy of Phantasy Star Universe for Gears of War?  Does the "got it as a gift" line still work?

I'm thinking the exact same thing.  Let me know how it works out for you.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2006, 09:49:57 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 07, 2006, 09:36:46 PM

Quote from: Punisher on November 07, 2006, 09:32:32 PM

That's it?? Tongue  How 's is the gameplay?  Is the AI team-mates brain dead?   More impressions!!!

Sorry, was too excited about playing and also had some customers to take care of (damn customers).

Enemy AI is decent so far. At times they do things really well like flanking and such, at other times they are idiots and will jump over low walls, thus exposing themselves needlessly instead of walking 3 feet to the left. (when they are in jump over wall animation, they can't doge/fire)
Friendly AI, is also mixed. Sometimes they act well, sometimes they like to walk into your line of fire, even while you are shooting.
Split-screen is a horizontal split (top/bottom) rather than the vertical split (side/side) I would have preffered.
I haven't gotten too far into the story, but seems like the average aliens attack kind of thing.
The chainsaw has a cool kill animation, but so far it is very hard to actually use. You have to hold the B button to use it, which makes it hard to also move/turn as well since you can't hold both the B and the right thumbstick at the same time.
Everyone here, including the boss is amazed at how good the graphics are.
The game plays extremely well so far and I have enjoyed it. Going into and using cover is pretty cool, but there were a couple of times where I went into cover without wanting to. (you go into cover via the A button or running into a wall. I couple of times I was trying to run through a doorway, but got caught on the edge and went into cover instead)
depward

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2006, 09:59:56 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on November 07, 2006, 09:30:06 PM

Dude, that works 100% of the time at Wal-Mart.  Never had any sort of problem with it.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2006, 10:13:25 PM »

The only issue I've ever had with returning an unopened video game is the UPC symbol being different for the same product in different stores.  This way they know if you bought it from one of their stores or not.   

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2006, 10:33:45 PM »

Just finished playing for about 90 minutes at my friend's place.

+ Graphics are amazing, although people with high-end computers will not be nearly as impressed as everyone else. To a degree, playing Doom 3, Quake 4 and FEAR on a high-end PC ruined the awe factor of the next-gen consoles for me.

+ Controls are fabulous

+ Environment is wonderfully moody and gothic

- A.I. of your team is can be very suspect. At times they will run straight into enemy fire, have a hard time hitting the broad side of a barn, and they will make poor use of the surrounding cover. Other times they react very well to the situation at hand. So far, it seems like they do a better job at lending suppression fire as opposed to actually making the kills. The AI seen in FEAR is definitely a step above GoW.

-Melee has a higher learning curve than I expected

-I would have liked a few female fighters to be on the ground with you, but apparently the opposite sex can't fire a gun to save humanity.

90 minutes in I'd rate it an 8.5
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2006, 11:15:17 PM »

9.4 fellas!!!!!! eek

Too bad we don't get it here in the Tri-Cities till tomorrow.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/744/744356p1.html

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2006, 11:36:38 PM »

I would love any impressions from someone playing on a standard def TV on how the game looks.  There's a free +1 in it for you
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2006, 11:41:53 PM »

I need this. I must go to bed early so I get up early to pick it up from EB. Why not today!!! Oh, well at least it looks worth the wait. nod
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2006, 11:45:00 PM »

F all of you that already have it!  mad

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2006, 11:48:51 PM »

I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow when I stop at Best Buy.  icon_neutral  I hope they don't run out of stock.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2006, 12:08:09 AM »

Papasmurff and I have played through the first act co-op over live.  Works really well.  AI hasn't been noticeably bad/good really, other than they won't come revive you as far as I can tell.

The Hammer of God is an awesome weapon.  Can't wait to use it in multiplayer.  Can't wait to play multiplayer period, actually.  Off to eat dinner and consult on tactics, then back to the fray!

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2006, 12:34:44 AM »

Seriously goddamn my lying local EBs. Not a single one has it today, nor did they have it at midnight as claimed, and they will not get them today. Asses. frown Can you tell I want to play? smile
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2006, 12:38:39 AM »

This game rocks......co-op campain through live is amazing, jarrod and I are done with the first act....

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2006, 12:52:10 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 08, 2006, 12:34:44 AM

Seriously goddamn my lying local EBs. Not a single one has it today, nor did they have it at midnight as claimed, and they will not get them today. Asses. frown Can you tell I want to play? smile

Mine either.  I paid off my preorder yesterday and they told me they would have it today.  Went there after work and of course they didnt have it.  The kicker, the same guys working as yesterday, asked me if I have it preordered.  Bitchfaces. 

depward

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2006, 01:02:23 AM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on November 08, 2006, 12:52:10 AM

Mine either.  I paid off my preorder yesterday and they told me they would have it today.  Went there after work and of course they didnt have it.  The kicker, the same guys working as yesterday, asked me if I have it preordered.  Bitchfaces. 
Alfonso's Gamestop?  If so, boy, that place has been going downhill as of late...

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2006, 01:08:26 AM »

Quote from: depward on November 08, 2006, 01:02:23 AM

Quote from: GatorFavre on November 08, 2006, 12:52:10 AM

Alfonso's Gamestop?  If so, boy, that place has been going downhill as of late...

I hate Alfonso,  he is a bitch.  Whenever I come in without trade-ins he makes some stupid comment about how it must be nice to be rich and being able to afford games without trade-ins.  I want to punch his face in.  And yes, he is the one that told me specifically that Gears would be in today.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2006, 01:19:07 AM »

On with the impressions!

Here's mine: It's fucking excellent.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2006, 01:29:26 AM »

Got it at 4:30 today but won't crack it til the weekend most likely.  Only time I will have more than an hour to play and I hate getting a killer game such as this and having to rush.  So, Friday and Saturday nights will be all about GoW for me.  Til then I am just enjoying you guys gushing about it.

Sounds fun. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2006, 02:17:34 AM »

Gamestop told me this morning that pre-orders would be available after 5 today.  At 7:30 I arrive, and they tell me that they only got a limited number in and they're gone.  Got my money back, and I'll be hitting up the Best Buy that's much closer to me tomorrow.

When I asked for my money back, the guy's response was, "Are you sure you want to shoot yourself in the foot like that?"  Because that's the best way to respond to someone who's just wasted a trip to your store.

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2006, 02:25:25 AM »

I'm not quite done with the first act yet, but so far I'm loving it.  As mentioned the cover system is similar to R6 and that makes me very happy.  The A button (cover) does take some getting used to as I've gone in to cover on the wrong side of a wall a few times already.  But I'm sure it'll smooth out the more I play.

Aforementioned A.I. wonkiness is also annoying, but hardly intrusive.

I like that you can pin down your enemy and then flank them ala Brothers in Arms Lite.

Gotta go and get back to carnage now.  So far it's f'in great.  I'm very much looking foward to some co-op action via Live.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2006, 02:42:49 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 07, 2006, 11:36:38 PM

I would love any impressions from someone playing on a standard def TV on how the game looks.  There's a free +1 in it for you

The 1Up guys were raving about how great it looked in SD on their most recent podcast.  They basically said that while much of the 360's lineup needs to be experienced in HD to be really impressive, people will be be blown away by Gears on even SDTVs. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: