http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 06:29:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360]Famitsu Halo 3 rating  (Read 1511 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2007, 05:27:29 PM »

suprisingly high scores from Famitsu...okay,not suprising that the high scores for Halo 3,but suprising coming from Famitsu(for me anyway)

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=172301

The first Halo 3 review is in ahead of its touted record-breaking release next week, and it's scoring big.

In latest issue of Japanese Weekly Famitsu, one of the mag's four reviewing editors gave Halo 3 a perfect 10/10, with the other free issuing an almost-perfect 9/10.

That's a final score of 10/9/9/9 (37/40) - pretty damn good considering Japan's infamous hatred of all things Xbox/FPS.

We're still waiting for details of the review to trickle in from Japan, though we imagine it probably says something nice about the multiplayer and how much they love the Chief's kooky army customisation. Those crazy Japanese, ay?

As for Western reviews, those will start arriving at the tail end of the weekend, just ahead of the big day on Wednesday, September 26. Believe.

i wasnt expecting this game to actually be a plus for Japan,but i know a lot of people over there really listen to Famitsu,so hopefully this will really help 360 sales over there

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 05:31:57 PM »

Nah, won't help at all.  Halo 2 got the same rating. 
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 05:35:11 PM »

Microsoft must have "negotiated" with Famitsu for Halo 3 to have received that high of a score.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 05:40:14 PM »

God forbid Halo 3 could actually be a good game or anything.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 05:45:23 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 19, 2007, 05:31:57 PM

blue dragon got the same score as well...although being a RPG,it did sell 80.000 in its first 4 days in Japan

its also the Tokyo Game Show until this sunday,so no doubt more advertising than normal for the game will be happening over there
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 05:47:15 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 05:46:26 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on September 19, 2007, 05:40:14 PM

To clarify, my post was a knock at Famitsu, not a comment on the quality of Halo 3. Publishers often negotiate with Famitsu to get higher review scores for their games.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 05:50:15 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 19, 2007, 05:45:23 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 19, 2007, 05:31:57 PM

blue dragon got the same score as well...although being a RPG,it did sell 80.000 in its first 4 days in Japan

its also the Tokyo Game Show until this sunday,so no doubt more advertising than normal for the game will be happening over there

Seriously, as of right now the 360 is completely DOA in Japan.  Lost Odyssey might help, Halo 3 will not.  Gears managed to sell a (relatively) impressive 30k it's first week there but it immediately dropped off and it didn't move any hardware.  Halo 3 will be the same. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 07:52:42 PM »

Yeah, Halo 3 won't move any units at all in Japan, no matter how well it got rated. FPS games just aren't a Japanese thing for whatever reason.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 08:00:21 PM »

I was optimistic about the score (towards the game being great, I already know the 360 is dead in Japan) until Kevin chimed in. If Halo 2 indeed received the same score, then this Halo 3 score is irrelevant.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 09:41:56 PM »

I agree about the score thing.  Having a high score really means nothing to me as Halo2 was pitiful and I never finished it and it got high scores as well.  So, while I am optimistic it will be captivating I would not be too surprised to see many severely disappointed.  In the single player that is.  The MP crowd I think will love it to death.  I fall in the SP crowd myself and hope against hope that it knocks my socks off.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 12:51:44 AM »

Not only that, Japanese gamers, in very general terms, aren't as much into FPS games as us.  The majority of FPS gamers here, overlooked Halo 1 & 2's somewhat poor in-game story for the great gameplay.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 01:25:18 AM »

as much as i agree with you kevin and co,about Halo 3 prolly not gonna sell that well

halo 2 was released on the xbox when its rival PS2 was massive everywhere

because of the current state of affairs with both the PS3 and the 360 both not doing so well in Japan,i am sure that Halo 3 will sell more than Halo 2

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 01:46:44 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 20, 2007, 01:25:18 AM

because of the current state of affairs with both the PS3 and the 360 both not doing so well in Japan,i am sure that Halo 3 will sell more than Halo 2

In Japan?  Certainly possible but consider that the Xbox 360 is doing worse in Japan than Xbox 1.  So it's selling to a smaller install base. 

Worldwide?  Halo 3 may possible outsell Halo 2 lifetime but not in the near future.  For it to happen right now it would have to sell to 90% of the current install base.  Halo 2 "only" sold to 50% of the Xbox install base.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 02:23:05 AM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on September 19, 2007, 05:46:26 PM

To clarify, my post was a knock at Famitsu, not a comment on the quality of Halo 3. Publishers often negotiate with Famitsu to get higher review scores for their games.

Where did you hear that?  I haven't heard about that.  Depending on who's talking, I hear Famitsu are some of the toughest reviewers or some of the easiest reviewers out there, so I never know what to think about them.  I thought Halo 2 was great, giant psychic plant and abrupt ending aside. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 02:32:57 AM »

one person i know on an english forum i go on got his copy today because Argos are dumb...but they have said he was dissapointed at the graphics,although i said the graphics were okay from what i played on the beta...he keeps on going on about Killzone 2..hopefully he will talk about gameplay

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 02:55:15 AM »

Quote from: kathode on September 20, 2007, 02:23:05 AM

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on September 19, 2007, 05:46:26 PM

Where did you hear that?  I haven't heard about that.  Depending on who's talking, I hear Famitsu are some of the toughest reviewers or some of the easiest reviewers out there, so I never know what to think about them.  I thought Halo 2 was great, giant psychic plant and abrupt ending aside. 

I've read the same as Andrew from numerous people very familiar with the Japanese mag industry.  The gist of it ranges from outright payola to Famitsu basically polling their subscribers to find out what they are most interested in and giving out scores based on that.

The whole "Famitsu is really though" thing is an outright myth though.  It comes from the fact that they've only awarded like five Perfect 40s (10/10/10/10) in their history.  But when you actually look at their breakdown, an "awful" game will get a 28/40 (ie four 7s) so there really isn't a whole lot of granularity to their scale and the vast majority of games get anywhere from the low to mid 30s.  They're worse than IGN, really.

Also you'll note that you'll never hear anyone actually quote their reviews or comments.  The text is almost comletely worthless. 
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 03:02:05 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 20, 2007, 02:55:15 AM

I've read the same as Andrew from numerous people very familiar with the Japanese mag industry.  The gist of it ranges from outright payola to Famitsu basically polling their subscribers to find out what they are most interested in and giving out scores based on that.

The whole "Famitsu is really though" thing is an outright myth though.  It comes from the fact that they've only awarded like five Perfect 40s (10/10/10/10) in their history.  But when you actually look at their breakdown, an "awful" game will get a 28/40 (ie four 7s) so there really isn't a whole lot of granularity to their scale and the vast majority of games get anywhere from the low to mid 30s.  They're worse than IGN, really.

Also you'll note that you'll never hear anyone actually quote their reviews or comments.  The text is almost comletely worthless. 

Well damn, and here I was happy with our Oblivion Famitsu score.  Thanks for raining on my parade!! slywink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 05:09:22 AM »

I bet it'd do good in Japan if they added in cute little creature sidekicks and social networking with your AI teammates.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 05:27:07 AM »

Heck, the Japanese Ratchet (from Ratchet and Clank) has big bushy eyebrows added

It'd be just really weird if we saw and FPS like Persona 3 where you do a highschool/dating sim in first person, then go kill aliens for the rest of the night.

Can way say, Child Spartan training camp?  Tongue
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 05:33:28 AM by Turtle » Logged
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 12:47:29 PM »

You guys are geeks aren't ya? nod

Wait, I read this post with mild interest, does that, um, make me a geek-wanna-be?
Because I have never heard of this Nippon Reviewer, ever!!!!

I'm so light weight compared to you guys...........I'm not worthy!

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 01:19:36 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 20, 2007, 02:32:57 AM

one person i know on an english forum i go on got his copy today because Argos are dumb...but they have said he was dissapointed at the graphics,although i said the graphics were okay from what i played on the beta...he keeps on going on about Killzone 2..hopefully he will talk about gameplay

Spoiler tags please. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: