http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 09:00:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Turok Demo Available (but not in the US)  (Read 2017 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: January 15, 2008, 05:28:51 PM »

Fucking magazine exclusivity. Via Major Nelson:

Content: Turok Single-Player Demo
Price: Free
Availability: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan and United Kingdom

Dash Text: [ESRB: M (Mature) BLOOD,INTENSE VIOLENCE,LANGUAGE] Turok is an epic, story-driven first-person shooter set on a dark, mysterious planet in the future. Players take on the role of Joseph Turok, a former black ops commando, now part of an elite special forces squad, known as Whiskey Company, which is on a mission to take down a war criminal – Turok’s former mentor, Roland Kane. While Whiskey Company is traveling to the genetically altered planet inhabited by Kane and his soldiers, Whiskey Company’s ship is shot down. Turok must use his elite military training to elude Kane’s well-trained army, known as Mendel-Gruman, and the ravenous, unpredictable dinosaurs, huge insects and other massive creatures that populate the dangerous environment. Turok’s mission? Survive at all costs.

From what I've read, it's not available in the US due to OXM 'exclusivity'. Load of crap, no?

*runs off to sign into my European account*

EDIT: Because I can, let me point you to Purge's excellent post on how to make a non-US Live account to get around this.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 05:32:10 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 06:09:57 PM »

hmm...i saw this this morning on major nelson,and thought i will download it later....funny its only europe...like The Club...i guess Bill was right when he said he was concentrating on europe this year...but to tell you the truth,this isnt the way i like it...i would like you guys to play the same demos as us

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 06:20:06 PM »

Damn, I was a huge fan of the first Turok game so I have a soft spot for the series. I'm really hoping this one turns out even half decent and I'll buy it. Anyone who plays the demo, let us know what it's like!

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 06:22:08 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 15, 2008, 06:09:57 PM

i would like you guys to play the same demos as us

Well, we can. We just need to make 'alternative accounts'. The 'must wait 7 days for non-Gold members' bull is apparently ignored too, as I just had a friend sign up and it worked just fine. biggrin

That said - the game is in full English if you grab it via making a German account (that I linked above), and is rather...violent. I love it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 06:32:55 PM »

i had a euro account set up back in july so it's gold status has been long gone.  can anyone confirm that the silly download limit isn't in effect?

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 09:37:13 PM »

I just realized that signing up for Live gave me a month of Gold status, so I don't know if the Silver limitation thing is for the US or worldwide.

Just make a new account if it doesn't work. That's all I can suggest. Work on inflating those numbers that Microsoft touts so loudly. biggrin

BTW - the demo is about 30 minutes in length. Nicely done graphically, lots and lots of violence (use the knife to one shot your opponents for fun), and it seems like it's the first level from the full game.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 01:28:34 AM »

I'm kinda interested in this one, but I'm not sure if it's enough interest to take the time to create another account.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 02:12:26 AM »

Maybe I will just go and pick up the OXM.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 02:53:10 AM »

Quote from: biggercup on January 16, 2008, 02:12:26 AM

Maybe I will just go and pick up the OXM.

Don't give in to The Man!

gellar
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 06:31:03 AM »

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and create a U.K account. I want to play the demo so badly!

Any world on a U.S release for the demo 'cause... you know... I don't wanna get my U.S account banned or something.

Sean Lama
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 06:32:27 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on January 16, 2008, 06:31:03 AM

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and create a U.K account. I want to play the demo so badly!

Any world on a U.S release for the demo 'cause... you know... I don't wanna get my U.S account banned or something.

Apparently not for a bit due to an exclusive deal with some magazine. Lameness.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 07:16:03 AM »

Fuck it, I created a U.K account. Downloading now, impressions in the morning!

*After Edit*

Actually, it's downloading really quickly. Impressions later on tonight!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 07:18:04 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 12:38:59 PM »

I got the silver account message on my german account. frown

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 02:06:57 PM »

Quote from: Purge on January 16, 2008, 12:38:59 PM

I got the silver account message on my german account. frown

Well, that confirms that. Go make another one. biggrin

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 03:12:57 PM »

Demo has been available at EB/GS for ages, if you don't mind reserving.
It comes with a t-shirt too.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 05:24:47 PM »

me being inUK ..i have to wait untilnext wek for the Rambo theme on your marketplace with my US acount....i thought it was just demos

anyway i played some last night(about 10-20 minutes of it,but had to go out)....it was okay,being in the caves first of all was so-so,the water effects are good,but not as good as uncharted(is anything?)...got annoyed with using the rifle...as it was shoot,get hit,shoot,get hit..until one of you falls..repeat..but as Destructor says the knife is good...i didnt even know about the knife!!!!..so i will give the demo another go tonight....impressions for me right now are so-so....you also get a shotgun as well,i quite liked that

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 07:01:14 PM »

I played for about 10 minutes or so last night and walked away highly unimpressed. I'm still amazed at the fact that one game using the U3 engine can look so good, yet others look mediocre, which is the case in Turok. The weapons weren't fun to use, your partner has an annoying voice (picture Ben Stein but a little deeper), when you are hit by enemies you go into this red-eye tunnel vision that takes up 1/3 of the screen making it more difficult to find your enemies. It's not like CoD4 where you take some hits, see some red, and stay behind some cover until your vision clears. In Turok it has nothing to do with cover because your enemies are dinosaurs (at least so far) so you have to scramble to get your target on them.

Blah, I'm going to delete the demo and forget the game. Unless I hear highly favorable impressions, I'm IZOUT.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 07:02:46 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 07:14:50 PM »

OXM gave it a 7.0.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 07:20:07 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 15, 2008, 05:28:51 PM

From what I've read, it's not available in the US due to OXM 'exclusivity'. Load of crap, no?
Meh, it's Turok.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 08:33:47 PM »

Quote from: kathode on January 16, 2008, 07:14:50 PM

OXM gave it a 7.0.

Everything I have read is that its utterly mediocre.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2008, 10:32:50 PM »

It has been confirmed that the demo will be available in the U.S. without needing to purchase OXM via the Playstation Store today.

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2008, 01:36:25 AM »

I didn't like Turok at all, as expected.

It was ugly.  To be honest, Metal Gear Solid 3's jungle foliage looked better.

And I felt bad killing the dinosaurs.  I don't know why, but when you pick up a small one and slit it's throat, it really made me feeling disgusting.  I know they're trying to convey that you're some awesome, badass, killing machine...but ick.

TheMissingLink on PSN
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2008, 02:17:32 AM »

not sure why the fuck i'm downloading this... but i am...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2008, 04:53:25 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 18, 2008, 01:36:25 AM

And I felt bad killing the dinosaurs.  I don't know why, but when you pick up a small one and slit it's throat, it really made me feeling disgusting.  I know they're trying to convey that you're some awesome, badass, killing machine...but ick.

I hear the small ones are Al Quaeda agents.

Because I can,
depward

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2008, 06:16:05 AM »

Yeah this game is ugh and I actually dislike shooting and killing dinosaurs.  I mean come on, DINOSAURS?!  Plus I hated the N64 game so yeah.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2008, 06:10:03 AM »

ok, played a bit- not very impressed.  the whole first person view felt quite claustrophobic for some reason and it seemed just as easy to run around with the knife and one shot kill everything.

Because I can,
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2008, 07:15:36 AM »

Yeah killing dinosaurs sucks... that's why I don't like Monster Hunter smile

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2008, 04:10:12 PM »

I enjoyed this demo.  I actually never heard of this game before.  I love the prehistoric jungle atmosphere.  Very thick vegetation and those damn dinosaurs come out of nowhere!  Scared the crap out of me at times.  I found myself moving around cautiously and constantly spinning around because I knew those bastards can come from anywhere.  Cool!  The thickness of the jungle really instills a sense of panic and anxiety.  What looks like an impassable area for you can still provide easy access for a dinosaur.  I also love how you can just walk pass the docile dinosaurs (the plant eaters).  I have no problem killing dinosaurs in this game because they are vicious and come right at you.  They are not Grumpy and Big Alice from Land of the Lost.  Someone has to die and it is not going to be me!

It was also cool exiting the dark caves into the lush jungle.  It definitely had that Wizard of Oz moment.  I like the premise of this game and it looks like it could be a lot of fun.  I think I just may pick this one up tomorrow.

Oh I forgot to mention.  Make sure those damn dinosaurs are dead!  I shot one several times and started to move on only to be shocked when the darn bloody thing stood up again and came at me even madder than hell!   icon_eek
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 04:26:50 PM by Starshifter » Logged

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2008, 04:37:40 PM »

And I felt bad killing the dinosaurs.  I don't know why, but when you pick up a small one and slit it's throat, it really made me feeling disgusting.

awwwwww
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2008, 02:50:25 PM »

Starshifter... you're like a total opposite of my tastes.

I think we need to have a Shifty-scale.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2008, 03:27:53 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 01, 2008, 02:50:25 PM

I've noticed.  Not only you but others as well.  I don't consciously do it.  I really don't let things that piss most people off about games ever get to me.  I buy a game because it looks like fun and I simply sit down and enjoy.  It really is that simple.  I could care less about bad voice acting, graphical glitches, it doesn't bring anything new to the table etc. etc. etc. & blah, blah, blah.  If it looks like it has a cool story and theme then I'm all over it.

I started playing the full game of Turok last night and it is a ton of fun in so many ways.  Story, characters, setting and game play.  I'm not going to bother posting detailed impressions anymore for any game.  The same people will come in and just tear everything apart.  All that counts is I'm enjoying this game a lot and glad I picked it up.  It just seems to me that nobody approaches games with an open mind anymore.  It seems that everyone is so quick to surgically dissect a game nowadays.  If it's not a huge prominent bonanza game like COD4, Rainbow Six iteration to the nth degree, Rock Band, Gears of War or any other main stream well known game with a huge MP element, then it will inevitably be considered a subpar game.  I'm sure those games are fun but to dismiss others because they don't compare to those games is just not right in my opinion.  That's how I see it.  I could be wrong.  Who knows.  All I know is I play what I enjoy.   icon_biggrin

A Shifty-Scale would be a cool idea.  It should focus on story, character and how emotionally involved one gets with the game because that is how I choose what to play.  icon_wink

XM Channel 76
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2008, 03:30:11 PM »

That cave at the beginning is the worst place ever to start a demo.  Total pass for me, I wouldn't even rent this game.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2008, 03:42:58 PM »

The reviews have been half-way decent for Turok, and I picked it up yesterday.  I have to say I'm enjoying it much more than the demo.  I played for a couple of hours and had a very good time.  It's not AAA caliber, so if your good meter no longer goes below COD4 or Bioshock, don't bother.  However, it is better than, say, Kane & Lynch (which itself is not even half as bad as people are claiming).  A lot of work went into this game.  

It seems like, much like with the recent Tomb Raider reboot, someone finally said, "You know, Turok is a cool concept that never really had a good game to go with it beyond the first (and even that one is stretching it)."  So they decided to make an A title.  

There is a story to it (though I know IGN says the story disappears), and so far I'm finding it interesting enough to keep me going.  I like the dynamic of being hated by a partner who would kill you if he didn't need you to stay alive.  I like the hunt for a former mentor.  I also like the dinosaurs.

I know we've seen them in games before, but I still get chills the first time I see a T-Rex stomping around.  It's just cool.

The graphics are pretty good.  It's not COD4, again.  There is a lot of sameness to the environments after awhile.  And a lot of green.  I just stumbled on a base I'm about to head inside, so hopefully that'll mix things up a bit.

I'm finding aiming to be a bit of a challenge, as there's no lock-on that I've noticed.  I know some people like that.  I'm just not used to it.  I may have to change the sensitivity, 'cause I feel like I overshoot the target too easily.  However, I wouldn't say combat is difficult.  Taking down dinosaurs can be tough, especially when they're hopping all over the place.  I find that using the old knife will work more ofter than a gun.  So far, bullets seem more plentiful than in the demo (I felt like I was always running out of ammo in the demo).  However, the logic in me doesn't understand why there would be any arrows anywhere, so I'm not using the bow as often as I probably should.

I tried MP last night for a bit.  It was fun, if fairly standard.  However, there were dinos running around, and they had no allegiance.  That was a neat addition.  There is co-op for those who jones for that feature.

Overall, I expected to play for about an hour yesterday, and I played for over three.  So I definitely had a good time.  Whoever wrote the comment "Meh, it's Turok" without taking the time to find out if they'd done anything to the Turok experience, should maybe take a look again.  Everyone else should at least give this one a rental.  Or just buy it if you're looking for a fun, cool distraction that would have been considered very before the end of an amazing 2007.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2008, 03:46:49 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on February 01, 2008, 03:27:53 PM

Quote from: Purge on February 01, 2008, 02:50:25 PM

I've noticed.  Not only you but others as well.  I don't consciously do it.  I really don't let things that piss most people off about games ever get to me.  I buy a game because it looks like fun and I simply sit down and enjoy.  It really is that simple.  I could care less about bad voice acting, graphical glitches, it doesn't bring anything new to the table etc. etc. etc. & blah, blah, blah.  If it looks like it has a cool story and theme then I'm all over it.

I started playing the full game of Turok last night and it is a ton of fun in so many ways.  Story, characters, setting and game play.  I'm not going to bother posting detailed impressions anymore for any game.  The same people will come in and just tear everything apart.  All that counts is I'm enjoying this game a lot and glad I picked it up.  It just seems to me that nobody approaches games with an open mind anymore.  It seems that everyone is so quick to surgically dissect a game nowadays.  If it's not a huge prominent bonanza game like COD4, Rainbow Six iteration to the nth degree, Rock Band, Gears of War or any other main stream well known game with a huge MP element, then it will inevitably be considered a subpar game.  I'm sure those games are fun but to dismiss others because they don't compare to those games is just not right in my opinion.  That's how I see it.  I could be wrong.  Who knows.  All I know is I play what I enjoy.   icon_biggrin

A Shifty-Scale would be a cool idea.  It should focus on story, character and how emotionally involved one gets with the game because that is how I choose what to play.  icon_wink

I agree with your comments in the middle there, Shifty.  It's something that's been really gnawing at me lately (see my recent old man rant in the Fall of Liberty demo topic). 

I'm sorry that you're disheartened enough not to post impressions anymore, but I can see why you'd be there.  I'm happy you're still around though.

By the way, no hot witches in Turok so far, though.  Bummer, huh?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2008, 04:13:55 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 01, 2008, 03:30:11 PM

That cave at the beginning is the worst place ever to start a demo.  Total pass for me, I wouldn't even rent this game.

Leo - I'm just curious as to "why" you think it was the worst place ever to start a demo.  Would you care to elaborate?  I thought it was pretty cool.

XM Channel 76
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2008, 04:25:09 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on February 01, 2008, 04:13:55 PM

Leo - I'm just curious as to "why" you think it was the worst place ever to start a demo.  Would you care to elaborate?  I thought it was pretty cool.

Well, I thought the lighting was bad and the colors were dull.  Even the flares didn't seem to light the rooms up.  It just didn't grab me at all.  I just liked being outside better once I exited the caves.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2008, 07:48:55 PM »

Oh, Shifty, people may rag on you for your tastes; I just find it interesting how differing our opinions are. I look forward to your view on a game; it's like we've tapped directly into the head of a "different breed" of gamer.

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2008, 08:58:48 PM »

I started playing the full game of Turok last night and it is a ton of fun in so many ways.  Story, characters, setting and game play.  I'm not going to bother posting detailed impressions anymore for any game.  The same people will come in and just tear everything apart.  All that counts is I'm enjoying this game a lot and glad I picked it up.

i think this is where a lot of people will be with this game.  is it spectacular? no.  is it a fun, decent game with a neat setting? sure is in my book.  im not buying it but i can see where people would dig it.  the mechanics arent bad at all and wandering around fighting dinosaurs is never a knock in my book!  it even has some different stuff going on, like 2 sets of enemies who are hostile not only to your main character but each other as well.  couple that with some fun weapondry (im looking at you knife and bow) and you have a game that isnt an A class, but is darn fun.  id lump it into the category of blacksite and prey.  nothing revolutionary, not a top tier fps, but a game definitely worth playing none the less
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2008, 04:34:44 AM »

Quote from: Starshifter on February 01, 2008, 04:13:55 PM

The majority of opinions I've read on the demo have ragged on the caves you start out in.  What's one way to show off the shiny new UE3?  ...Dark, generic caves with unimpressive lighting?  And there isn't anything compelling in the caves - it's even sort of difficult to figure out where to go!

I think quite a few people can agree that it's better when you're out in the jungle foliage...but I don't know if many people got that far.  I didn't in my first play-through. 

TheMissingLink on PSN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: