http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 01:53:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Too Human Impressions  (Read 7616 times)
Roguetad
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2008, 05:54:20 PM »

I finished last night playing a defender.  Don't feel bad about dying, I think the next closest game where I died as many times and actually finished without breaking the dvd was Ninja Gaiden.  Speccing in the middle defender line really helped once I was able to keep the 100% status effect damage reflection shield up all of the time. 

It seems like they never rebalanced the game after they dropped the 4 player coop idea.  Playing a Bioengineer solo must have been a nightmare.  Low melee and low ranged damage, and some health regen.  If they had retooled the game for solo and coop play, natural health regen should have been the norm for all classes.  Give the bioengineer some really nice hots and direct heals, and maybe some creative damage output like plagues, viruses, dna deconstruction, etc.  I can't imagine soloing with one in the campaign.  There should be a masochist achievement medal for that Tongue

It's not fun to have a damage over time effect put on a player that has no means to naturally regen health.  It forced me to go barrel, err...crystal hunting to find health boosts.

Even though I want to try out the berserker, I know what's in store during the boss battles, and I just don't want to do that again solo.   

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2008, 08:12:09 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on August 29, 2008, 04:44:00 PM

Quote from: The Grue on August 29, 2008, 04:40:04 PM

Quote from: DamageInc on August 29, 2008, 03:41:52 PM

The issue is that it seems to affect leveling as I am already on a pace to hit level 40 with the Champion

This doesn't make sense.  You don't get an XP penalty for dying and you would fight the same number of creatures as any class.  I wonder what would make the difference?

Well, when you die you kill your combo level, and don't you get experience bonuses for having a high combo level? So if you stayed alive you would be getting more XP per kill.

Oh yeah, I forgot that there are XP bonuses tied into the combo system.  Makes sense.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2008, 07:19:38 PM »

Just in case anyones curious about the runes on the box cover...something I've noticed is that the subtle inconsistencies of the game seem to begin right there. The runes actually read as "of man of machine of god". I suspect Silicon Knights might have meant to say what's stated in the 2 tag lines on page 1 of the manual: "of men and machines" and "gods amongst men". I appreciate SK using a true ancient symbol system, but what they wrote doesn't make grammatical sense in English let alone Old Norse or Old English.

Not that I'm trying to nitpick the game do death or anything. At least they made the effort and despite the gameplay glitches I'm enjoying this game a helluva lot.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2008, 03:16:24 AM »

Quote from: Roguetad on August 29, 2008, 05:54:20 PM

I finished last night playing a defender.  Don't feel bad about dying, I think the next closest game where I died as many times and actually finished without breaking the dvd was Ninja Gaiden.  Speccing in the middle defender line really helped once I was able to keep the 100% status effect damage reflection shield up all of the time. 

It seems like they never rebalanced the game after they dropped the 4 player coop idea.  Playing a Bioengineer solo must have been a nightmare.  Low melee and low ranged damage, and some health regen.  If they had retooled the game for solo and coop play, natural health regen should have been the norm for all classes.  Give the bioengineer some really nice hots and direct heals, and maybe some creative damage output like plagues, viruses, dna deconstruction, etc.  I can't imagine soloing with one in the campaign.  There should be a masochist achievement medal for that Tongue

It's not fun to have a damage over time effect put on a player that has no means to naturally regen health.  It forced me to go barrel, err...crystal hunting to find health boosts.

Even though I want to try out the berserker, I know what's in store during the boss battles, and I just don't want to do that again solo.   

I did get an achievement -- dying 100 times  icon_lol

I finished the game as a Champion and only died about 30 times compared to over 100 with Bio Engineer, the funny thing is that I still ended up at level 29
A bulk of my deaths as the Bio Engineer were during the final battle, but with the Champion I was able to kill her without dying even once
I'm not sure how people are hitting level 40 unless I am missing something.
No matter, I just traded it in for Mercs II

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2008, 06:22:46 PM »

I've been playing this over the last two days, and The problems I see are in this order:
3) Poor SKill system - a minor 0.5 - 2% upgrade to the possibility of something happening is pretty lame.  Think of the Skill Trees in every other Diablo2/Titan Quest/Hellgate:London, etc - the skills are blaanced between buffs, activiated skills, and passive.  Playing as a defender, the skills are soooo minor at best.  You make a choice on what you rspider does and your warcry...and that's about it.

2) Terrible Camera, no matter what mode you choose.  And this should be #1.  If I EVER have problems seeing what I should be trying to bludgeon, you (the developer) screwed up.  How can you not notice when enemies regularly get set out of sight due to your terrible camera?  I don't remember God of War having nearly as frustrating a camera as this POS.  After playing Monster Hunter 2 Freedom on the psp recently and then this, I;m wondering how developers are so blind to 'gee bob, the player can't see shit' - 'don't worry ted, no one will notice that'.  WTF?

1) NOTHING IS EXPLAINED.  Yep, Derek Smart designed this fucking game, which in fact is nor more complex than God of War.  You see enemies, you SMAAAAASHH!  And yet, they managed to make a way where they don't explain how 90% of your inventory works, how much inventory space you have, etc, etc etc.  Everything in this game is a goddamn guessing game.  THat's not 'stylistic choice', that's just a tremendously lazy or incompetent developer.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2008, 08:32:49 PM »

Quote from: Big Jake on September 02, 2008, 06:22:46 PM

I've been playing this over the last two days, and The problems I see are in this order:
3) Poor SKill system - a minor 0.5 - 2% upgrade to the possibility of something happening is pretty lame.  Think of the Skill Trees in every other Diablo2/Titan Quest/Hellgate:London, etc - the skills are blaanced between buffs, activiated skills, and passive.  Playing as a defender, the skills are soooo minor at best.  You make a choice on what you rspider does and your warcry...and that's about it.

2) Terrible Camera, no matter what mode you choose.  And this should be #1.  If I EVER have problems seeing what I should be trying to bludgeon, you (the developer) screwed up.  How can you not notice when enemies regularly get set out of sight due to your terrible camera?  I don't remember God of War having nearly as frustrating a camera as this POS.  After playing Monster Hunter 2 Freedom on the psp recently and then this, I;m wondering how developers are so blind to 'gee bob, the player can't see shit' - 'don't worry ted, no one will notice that'.  WTF?

1) NOTHING IS EXPLAINED.  Yep, Derek Smart designed this fucking game, which in fact is nor more complex than God of War.  You see enemies, you SMAAAAASHH!  And yet, they managed to make a way where they don't explain how 90% of your inventory works, how much inventory space you have, etc, etc etc.  Everything in this game is a goddamn guessing game.  THat's not 'stylistic choice', that's just a tremendously lazy or incompetent developer.

I've been playing Too Human this weekend and I agree with all of your complaints.  I will say that the Iso camera seems to be the best of the bunch.  I'm still not sure how Charms work in conjunction with Runes.  And the cyberspace sections are essentially pointless so far.

But for some reason I keep playing.  I think it's the inner loot whore in me.  The one thing the game does get right is the amount and diversity of the equipment you find.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 08:34:27 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2008, 08:37:37 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on September 02, 2008, 08:32:49 PM

But for some reason I keep playing.  I think it's the inner loot whore in me.  The one thing the game does get right is the amount and diversity of the equipment you find.

My inner loot whore is going to just have to wait until Diablo 3 comes out. I don't have time for this one.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 02, 2008, 08:40:15 PM »

And the cyberspace sections are essentially pointless so far.

If you mean the bits back at Aesir, it's for free loot.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 02, 2008, 08:40:58 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 02, 2008, 08:37:37 PM

My inner loot whore is going to just have to wait until Diablo 3 comes out.

I might be dead by then. icon_biggrin

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2008, 04:48:02 PM »

I just started playing this past weekend, and I died A LOT in the second world where you're hunting down Hod.  Is there anything else that you can do for EXP and such to level up before going up against a bunch of overpowered robots?  I got my ass handed to me so much that I almost quit playing.  Especially since you can't skip the Valkerye scene when you die.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2008, 04:49:57 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on September 05, 2008, 04:48:02 PM

I just started playing this past weekend, and I died A LOT in the second world where you're hunting down Hod.  Is there anything else that you can do for EXP and such to level up before going up against a bunch of overpowered robots?  I got my ass handed to me so much that I almost quit playing.  Especially since you can't skip the Valkerye scene when you die.
Levelling up does little other than make new and better loot available to you.  Enemies will always be the level of the highest player in the game (co-op or single play).  So you can't out-level an area.  Ice Forest is a grinder, then World Serpent is relatively normal, and Helheim is somewhat difficult.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2008, 05:22:59 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on September 05, 2008, 04:49:57 PM

Quote from: rickfc on September 05, 2008, 04:48:02 PM

Levelling up does little other than make new and better loot available to you.  Enemies will always be the level of the highest player in the game (co-op or single play).  So you can't out-level an area.  Ice Forest is a grinder, then World Serpent is relatively normal, and Helheim is somewhat difficult.

Is that only the first time through?  When I finished my game I started over with my character and I was one-shot killing the monsters in the first area.

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2008, 05:37:04 PM »

The monsters are certainly listed as being = to your level.  I don't know how this scales with gear though.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2008, 06:00:47 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on September 05, 2008, 05:37:04 PM

The monsters are certainly listed as being = to your level.  I don't know how this scales with gear though.

How do you tell what level a monster is?

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: September 05, 2008, 07:06:33 PM »

Look at the rings near their feet when you have them targeted in melee, or at the info when you have them targetted with Ranged weapons.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2008, 08:25:09 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on September 05, 2008, 07:06:33 PM

Look at the rings near their feet when you have them targeted in melee, or at the info when you have them targetted with Ranged weapons.

Ah, I always thought that was hit points or something.

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2008, 09:48:55 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on September 05, 2008, 08:25:09 PM

Quote from: Dreamshadow on September 05, 2008, 07:06:33 PM

Ah, I always thought that was hit points or something.

The rings show the hitpoints, but right near the rings is a vertical circle that has a number in it...monster level.

The game does get easier, I think...even though there's monster scaling, I think you can get gear to compensate.  Or you just get better at playing the game.

Stage 2 is a real ass-kicker when you first run into it, especially after how easy Stage 1 is.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: