http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 12:36:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Too Human Impressions  (Read 7490 times)
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 21, 2008, 02:42:09 PM »

Okay, I've put in three hours of play at this point and now have a Level 16 Commando (Cybernetic Tree).  I'm really enjoying this game.  Jarrod and I played co-op for about an hour, ironically enough, we both picked Commando characters.  I think I'm going to get a Bio-engineer and a Defender started.  Heck, I think I'm going to take the time to start one of each class.  I'd love to see a champion/Defender combo, with the defender serving up enemes to the air-comboing champion.

Graphics are solid.  I like the way this game looks.  I've seen the full halls of the dead, and the first couple of areas of the Ice Forest in Svarthelm.  No framerate issues and combat animations/explosions don't obscure combat (a huge plus).   Sound is good, and the cheesy dialog doesn't bother me so much.  I do like the voice cast though.  Everyone seems to fit their role.

I had some problems in the early Ice Forest areas because the game starts to throw packs of 'polarized' enemies at you.  These enemies will not go down to cannon or melee fire.  You have to either use a Finisher or a Ruiner to destroy them.  If they were ice, the worse that happened was that you were frozen.  If they are fire and were nearby when they explode...the game hits you with a periodic flame damage (up to 30 seconds I believe).  This killed me more than I would like.  I wonder if the Bio-Engineer has a skill to deal with this damage over time effect (other than just health regen), and it makes me question why I can't 'stock' health orbs.

During co-op play, it took Jarrod and I just a sec to learn how to trade gear, and we learned that wells and portals required the other player to stand there before someone could go through (aka, if there is any sort of level transition, both players must go through).  Round Robin loot split it self evenly no matter who picks itself up.  This holds true even for health orbs unless the person is at full health. 

At this point, I feel that the only thing this game isn't is a AAA title.  That seems to be its primary failing.  It's only an A title.  I'll know more once I play a character to the level cap (and I think I will...if the weapons in Tyr's Forge are some of the unique Sentient Weapons).  This game is a loot crawl with a medium length story attached to it, not a 40 hour epic RPG. It has solid (and unique) combat elements, great graphics, and enough variation in loot that I'm encouraged to keep 'crawling'.

I've got more thoughts on this, but for now, this will suffice.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 04:08:02 PM »

Great impressions. I'm about 3 hours in with a Beserker and pretty much feel the same way as you do. I think it's a lot better than reviewers are giving it credit for.

Those fire guys are a definite pain. I've been using spider bombs to try and take them out.
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 04:14:48 PM »

If  wasn't for all the great upcoming games, I would have purchased this.  Good to see some impressions.  I'm sure I'll get this at some point down the line when it goes on sale, or as a trade.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 05:04:28 PM »

Great game so far. Its a shame that they released a demo and had a developer who couldn't keep his mouth shut. It will probably cost them a second part to the series. This trilogy could have turned into something special. Now the Neogaf hordes and the review community will shut this series down in record time.

I never thought I would say this but my only real complaint is the interesting loot comes at too quick of a pace. You don't even have time to appreciate that new weapon before his big brother is at your doorstep.

Props to SK for trying to move slightly outside of the box.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 05:12:47 PM »

if there is any sort of level transition, both players must go through

"You must gather your party before venturing forth."

I'm gonna pick this up on the way home from work today.  Reviews be damned.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 05:17:30 PM »

if it weren't for merc2 hitting the shelves before you know it, i might have grabbed this.  they really should have released this early july for a good reception.  mid to late august means it's so close to the fall onslaught (something overlord pulled off pretty well last year)

at least it sounds good and that the reviewers may have been in a tough mood when they reviewed it.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 05:27:48 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 21, 2008, 05:12:47 PM

if there is any sort of level transition, both players must go through

I'm gonna pick this up on the way home from work today.  Reviews be damned.

make sure you give us your unbiased thoughts if you do!  i've avoided it since the reviews have been, at best, mediocre.  but i might be convinced otherwise if you were to actually recommend it.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 05:51:55 PM »

Still, in my opinion, the best RPG ever.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 06:17:39 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on August 21, 2008, 05:51:55 PM

Still, in my opinion, the best RPG ever.

That line goes through my head every time I walk up to an instance portal in WOW.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 06:26:21 PM »

There have been enough games that got mediocre reviews - but I played night and day for months (Morrowind, I'm looking at you!) - that I'll definitely consider this one.

Coupla questions first though:

Does it have a save-anywhere system?
Can you invert the camera?
Does it have difficulty levels?

OH, and for me and Purge - can you Run and Gun?   icon_biggrin

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 06:28:01 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on August 21, 2008, 06:26:21 PM

There have been enough games that got mediocre reviews - but I played night and day for months (Morrowind, I'm looking at you!) - that I'll definitely consider this one.

Myto,try out the demo on xbox live...i liked the demo,but it maybe some time before i can get the game

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 06:31:36 PM »

Morrowind got mediocre reviews?  It has a high 80s Metacritic review.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 06:37:29 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 21, 2008, 06:28:01 PM

Myto,try out the demo on xbox live...i liked the demo,but it maybe some time before i can get the game

I can't right now - I'm too busy reading the pages and pages of threads you started!  icon_twisted

You reminded me that I made that mental note to myself the other day, to look for the demo.  I got as far as looking for my XB Mag demo discs to see if it was there, then I lost my mind again.  retard

Grue, I almost didn't buy Morrowind due to previews and then reviews - many were 6.5 to 7.5 early on.  For me, with so many games possible to play, even back then, a 70% grade made me wary.  Thank goodness I read enough to see that I'd probably like the game.  Understatement there, lol.   icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 07:54:50 PM »

I honestly don't think I ever saw a review for Morrowind that was less than 80 percent/B.   icon_confused

edit:  checked gamerankings.com and it was universally well reviewed.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 08:21:47 PM »

Perhaps it was the Xbox version of Morrowind that didn't get as strong reviews?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 08:26:45 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 21, 2008, 08:21:47 PM

ah, that could be it.  checking the aforementioned gamerankings.com, i see that out of 72 reviews, 8 of them were in the 70 percent range.   icon_wink

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 08:31:58 PM »

I must have been exceedingly unlucky then, lmao.  Someone told me about the game and I thought I'd like it so I bought two magazines that had reviews in them. One rated it 7 out of 10, the other 7.5 out of 10 ("ish" because it was a long time ago.)  I do remember being disappointed in the reviews and almost didn't buy the game, but the next stop after the magazine rack was EB; I read the box and decided to give it a shot.  It wasn't until later that I saw good reviews, and they seemed to get higher and higher as time went by.  icon_confused

Ah, just read the last two posts... and yes, both magazine reviews were for XBox.

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 02:15:08 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 21, 2008, 08:21:47 PM

Metacritic has it in the high 80s as well.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2008, 03:42:44 AM »

...and thread derailed by Morrowind. I would have figured Devil May Cry, Diablo or Ninja Gaiden...   retard

Still enjoying the game with a buddy of mine. Paid $50, I'll be done in a week and sell it for $40. Not bad at all considering he and I spent $20 to see that godawful Mummy sequel last week.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2008, 04:46:51 AM »

So, was Dennis confirmed, or was he still just way too boastful about this game?

Glad to see that despite a boasting developer, some hype, and controversy, the game still turns out good, I really don't want to see a good developer fail that badly.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 05:38:47 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 22, 2008, 04:46:51 AM

So, was Dennis confirmed, or was he still just way too boastful about this game?

Glad to see that despite a boasting developer, some hype, and controversy, the game still turns out good, I really don't want to see a good developer fail that badly.

Well, I'm eating my earlier words, as the Neogaf impressions forum has swung in the opposite direction and now has a vocal crowd gushing over the game. I've just completed the game, and all I can say is that there better be a damned sequel. I think Too Human definitely has a strange schizophrenia to it, almost as if two different project managers were running the house, with one manger having a pedigree from Bioware and Epic, while the other came from Troika and Ion Storm. Moments of sheer brilliance cluttered with frustrating moments of WTF?!

Too Human has significant flaws, but there are also many aspects of the game that really come together very nicely. There are some simply amazing battles, and when you have the right skills the games offers up some memorable moments.  Supposedly the second title is well under way, so hopefully enough people give this entry a field test.

I know this was supposed to be one of Microsoft's AAA titles, but the game definitely falls short. The skill tree works well, the combat becomes addictive, and the story setting is a refreshing breath of fresh air.  With more enemy diversity, increased focus on narration, and better level design, the next game could easily cross over the threshold to AAA status.

You can finish the game in ~15 hours, so my recommendation is buy now at Toys R Us or Circuit City for $50, and then sell it or trade it in to Gamestop for $30. At most you'll be out $10-$20 dollars. the game is easily worth that much.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 05:40:45 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008, 05:49:10 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on August 22, 2008, 05:38:47 AM

I've just completed the game, and all I can say is that there better be a damned sequel.

do they tie things up in a way that the game can stand on it's own, or do they leave too much hanging?  feel free to spoiler your response  icon_smile

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2008, 04:08:44 PM »

Played through the first area last night and had a blast.  Everyone was complaining about GRENDL being too hard, but I beat him first time I faced him.  I am playing a Berserker and the loot addict in me is coming out.  I have replaced all but one piece of my pre-order armor with blueprint armor...just need to find that last blueprint.  I wonder if you have to go to some specific place in the level to get each part or if it is just random.  I did find 3 secret areas (got an achievement for it as well) during the first level.  Anyway, if you like the demo, you will like the game. 

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 11:06:12 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 22, 2008, 05:49:10 AM

Quote from: Dante Rising on August 22, 2008, 05:38:47 AM

I've just completed the game, and all I can say is that there better be a damned sequel.

do they tie things up in a way that the game can stand on it's own, or do they leave too much hanging?  feel free to spoiler your response  icon_smile

Unfortunately, it is one of those Chronicles of Riddick, (or to a much lesser extent) Empire Strikes Back endings. It doesn't really stand on its own, mostly because so much of the universe is left open and unexplained. It definitely isn't a massive cliffhanger, however.

I'm going through with a different character now, and the game has a very different feel. Whereas before I felt like I was playing something akin to a more elaborate Dynasty Warriors, my new game is significantly more focused on third-person shooting. I'm also getting a better handle on charms/runes/fierce attacks/aerial attacks, etc.

Also, based upon the information at other forums, I've missed out on almost all of the coolest upgrades my first time through the game.  icon_mad  I can't help but feel that the reviewers who rated this game in the 50%-60% range had a serious axe to grind with the developer, or the didn't bother to truly explore the blueprints, runes, charms and nuances to combat. You can definitely slash and burn through the game quickly, and miss alot of the game's offerings. I guess the best way I can describe Too Human is that it is significantly better than the sum of its parts, and if you want to find a reason to dislike it due to the developer, or MS, or whatever, you have enough ammunition to have an easy go of it. But if you love action-RPGs, enjoy loot collecting, and are just looking for a fun distraction, Too Human is a good addition to your library.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2008, 12:15:10 PM »

I've played this the past few days, and I really like it. As has been said before, if you liked the demo, you'll like the full game.

It's got a great loot system, a good character customization system, and a very interesting combat system.

And the classes play very differently; I've played both the defender and berserker to 15 or higher, and while they're both melee, they're both extremely different. The zerker is a true glass cannon; does a crazy amount of damage, but can't take hits at all. The defender is just a tank, but can do a good amount of damage as well.

The biggest shocker is how much harder the 2nd stage is than the 1st stage. The 1st stage (half of which was in the demo) is really easy...the 2nd stage is just hard because they start combining lots of melee with ranged, and start throwing the status effect mobs at you. Makes you play the game a lot smarter.

With all that being said, there are some questionable design decisions (i.e., both cyberspace and the Aesir city are way too wide open, requiring far too much running - and in the city, could have been fixed easily with a fast transport system...).

Still very enjoyable.

Quote from: The Grue
Played through the first area last night and had a blast.  Everyone was complaining about GRENDL being too hard, but I beat him first time I faced him.  I am playing a Berserker

Yeah...zerker rocks on the first level, but just wait until the 2nd stage (Ice Forest).  The frailty of the zerker is really exposed there.
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2008, 04:00:10 PM »

I played the demo of this game. It was an exercise in tedious mediocrity. I'm not sure what is supposedly innovative about it. The Norse Gods being heroes is something you would find in a Marvel comic. People using swords in a world full of guns is a Jedi thing and I daresay it's even older than that (I suppose one could even point to renaissance warfare). Even having a moronic, drug-fed camera which has a fixation upon walls and the angles of uselessness is hardly anything new. Oh but wait, there's robots! Oh my, where would we have ever seen robots or cybernetic beings before? And the robots are trying to kill humans! The creativity!

I don't get it do I? I don't get it like rabid fans of the Matrix sequels will insist I just don't get those pieces of crap and their Yakov Smirnoff style philosophy. Well, I sleep soundly and untroubled by my ignorance, I'd rather not get a pile of steaming awful.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2008, 11:29:58 PM »

I have not been able to put this game down all day.  It just makes you want to push through to see what phat lewt you can get.  It certainly isn't a great game, but it is a fun game.  I just finished the third area.  One thing that disturbs me is I have yet to get an elite piece of armor (the kind that you can piece together for a set).  I assume that means that putting together an actual set is going to be a bitch.  Actually, I just looked this up and I guess the first tier or it starts at 30.  I think I am 25, so I have some time to go.

I even went back and did the first level over again, just to see how it differed.  Enemies were harder and even the layout of the level changed somewhat.  I actually am enjoying the story.  Sure, the cut scenes are great, but they also aren't bad.  I think they are on par with most video game cut scenes...just not the stellar ones.  I think my biggest complaint would be lack of wide variety of monster types.  I think there are basically goblins, trolls, dark elves, and those spider things.  I think there are only 4 levels, so unless they introduce a ton of new enemies, I don't think this will change.  I think Diablo even had more variety.

You know, though, as much as I love playing it, I agree with Maggot that it isn't really innovative.  I am trying to figure out what about the game took 10 years to get it out and why Denis Dyack swears that it is a masterpiece.  It is fun, but isn't doing anything that Diablo did a while back.  I am enjoying it a little more than Diablo, just because of the Norse/cyber setting.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2008, 02:24:26 AM »

I hate the spider things.  They give me the most trouble as individuals, as opposed the the combined arms groups that get me most of the time.

Co-op with Dreamshadow has been very fun, even without the cut-scenes.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2008, 02:30:00 PM »

Quote from: Maggot on August 23, 2008, 04:00:10 PM

I played the demo of this game. It was an exercise in tedious mediocrity. I'm not sure what is supposedly innovative about it. The Norse Gods being heroes is something you would find in a Marvel comic. People using swords in a world full of guns is a Jedi thing and I daresay it's even older than that (I suppose one could even point to renaissance warfare). Even having a moronic, drug-fed camera which has a fixation upon walls and the angles of uselessness is hardly anything new. Oh but wait, there's robots! Oh my, where would we have ever seen robots or cybernetic beings before? And the robots are trying to kill humans! The creativity!

I don't get it do I? I don't get it like rabid fans of the Matrix sequels will insist I just don't get those pieces of crap and their Yakov Smirnoff style philosophy. Well, I sleep soundly and untroubled by my ignorance, I'd rather not get a pile of steaming awful.

while i'm not getting the game myself until it drops in price in the used section of gamestop, i'm not sure why it seems to be evoking such vehemence from you?  did the makers of the game slap you as a child or something?   icon_lol

Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2008, 06:54:52 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 24, 2008, 02:30:00 PM

Quote from: Maggot on August 23, 2008, 04:00:10 PM

while i'm not getting the game myself until it drops in price in the used section of gamestop, i'm not sure why it seems to be evoking such vehemence from you?  did the makers of the game slap you as a child or something?   icon_lol

No i just got sick of Dyacks replies to everyone who do not like the game, he keeps talking about how people dont get it and it is too innovative for people, I can easily respect a bad game but talking about it as a masterpiece like he is doing is just wrong and telling people they are too stupid to get it is just pissing me off, no i get it.... and i dont like it.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2008, 09:23:07 PM »

is Dysack the new Derek Smart?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2008, 09:23:59 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 24, 2008, 09:23:07 PM

is Dysack the new Derek Smart?

It seems.

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2008, 04:22:54 AM »

Put in about  8 hours today and I really like the game but it also frustrates me as well.

One of my gripes is the sound mixing.  Sometimes during battles the music get really loud then other times it is really soft, the sound mixing is all over the place.  The music is good but does repeat often especially when you are dying like crazy. 

The aiming is also sub-par it does work but there are times you just get frustrated.

DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2008, 10:05:36 AM »

Seems someone didn't bribe the media quite sufficiently with this one.

I haven't gotten it myself, yet, but everything I've been hearing about it tells me I'll enjoy it quite a bit. Probably not the second coming or anything, but I'm a big enough fan of the genre to withstand some mediocre features, as long as the groundwork is solid enough. Heck, I enjoyed Space Siege from start to finish.

I'll be getting this soon.

Thanks for the feedback, btw, as I likely wouldn't have bothered without that kind of positive comments. Not that I trust professional reviews in the least - but there are times when they're almost convincing.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2008, 11:49:24 AM »

I'm disappointed because I thought it had same-system co-op.
So much for my thought of it being a big seller through Christmas.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2008, 03:03:13 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on August 25, 2008, 11:49:24 AM

I'm disappointed because I thought it had same-system co-op.
So much for my thought of it being a big seller through Christmas.

Same here, I don't know why I assumed splitscreen would be available.  I probably would have got this game despite negative reviews if it had SS because there are not enough SS games available and even mediocre stuff can be fun played co-operatively.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2008, 03:11:39 PM »

Okay, I've now racked about 30 hours up with this one.  I've got a level 41 commando with 20 hours on it.  I beat the game at 18 hours of play, but I had been working on Ice Forest in Co-op with JarrodHK and other players online for a fair bit of that (about 6 hours at least).

Rule 1:  Get through the game single player first.  Co-op / Replay the levels from the map contain enemy combinations that are tough.  Glass-chewing tough.   In the section of Ice Forest where you are destroying the generators to lower the Well platform (about halfway through), we were hit with combinations of trolls thatwere Ice/Fire/Lightning.  The only way to damage them, or even think about destroying the hammers/guns  was to Air Ruiner on them.  It was rough.

Rule 2: Don't worry about level differences when playing co-op.  I was on a level 17 Commando, and Jarrod brought a level 3 bioengineer in.  Other than the gear being my level and not his, he had no more trouble beating enemies that he would in singleplayer.  He did not earn XP significantly faster than he normally would.

My observations:

The bioengineer is only an average healer.  (No offense Jarrod, you did great)  The regen is minimal, and it took us three to five minutes to heal up from almost dead.. The in combat heals were nice and worked in emergency situations, but the game gives so many health orbs that the Bioengineers role is minimal.

I like the defender's ability to launch multiple enemies into the air.  At one point last night, I tossed six or seven goblins in the air, and watched Moriarty take her champion and just go to town on them.  The only thing I saw come back down was loot. smile   Oh, the defender can take hits too.  The innate class ability of not being knocked down really helps when charging into the fray (Frey?  Hah!) Commando classes aren't quite total glass cannons, but it can be tough.  Lots of doding and firing.   Berzerker is just downright fun..a viking pinball of doom (and I suspect the Champion will be similar in the air).

On the story mode:

I didn't find any of the story mode to be too overdramatic.  I mean, really, find me a good heroic viking tale that isn't overdone just so songs of their victory and death will be sung in the mead halls.  I don't think the game was poorly written, nor did I find any of it over the top.  It was just right.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2008, 03:57:00 PM »

I am playing a Bioengineer and the healing is horrible compared to what you lose in offense and defense.

Not a bad game, but I think the rating is close to accurate. I just don't feel connected to the gameplay.

I like the storyline and the graphics are pretty decent, but other than that it is pretty mindless.
I could see if the skills really played a role, but they are more for show IMO

I am having a bit of fun, but it's not "wowing" me like Gears, CoD 4, Bioshock, Lost Odyssey, etc

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2008, 04:14:05 PM »

I finally got around to downloading and playing the demo, and I'm glad I did.  NOT so I can run out and buy the game, unfortunately.  It looks and sounds (from GT loot-hounds, lol) like a game I would love... until I tried it.  The problems I had with it are mostly my own, but just in case here's my "review" of the demo. 

For one, the print on everything is miniscule.  The subtitles, tutorial messages, and almost everything in the menus is too small to read - especially the stuff that shows for a few seconds and disappears, like the tutorials.  Many times what I saw was like - "Press" blah blah, "then hold" blah blah, "to complete" blahdedy blah blah blah.  I even stood right in front of the television so I could see the print when I was allocating experience points.   icon_eek

The next issue I had was the attack method; I've played a few "right analog stick to attack" games, ie, Monster Hunter, and am not a big fan of them.  Everything else would have to be just right for me to consider another.  And yeah, I kept swinging a sword at thin air, then jumping into the air when surrounded by enemies.  Games like this always get me wondering why developers feel the need to innovate their controls - what the heck is wrong with Halo-like controls, anyway?   icon_confused

I was only going by the demo, so I may be wrong, but I didn't see a map anywhere.  Not having started video gaming until I was 37 years old, I'm not quite intuitive enough at gaming to always know where to go next, or what to do.  And my AI buddies weren't a lot of help - sometimes they'd all be aiming in the direction I needed to go next, but sometimes they'd all face toward a dead-end corner because the next step was behind that corner.

As for others who don't have these issues, I'd recommend it.  I wanted to like it, but I know it would drive me crazy to play.  It reminded me a bit of "Crimson Sea" which I enjoyed immensely - it loooked like a fun hack and slash with a bunch of aliens, machines, and spidery things, with pretty, shiny, and colorful, scenery.

Oh well, it's a good thing there are about a zillion other good games to choose from, because I really would've loved to have loved this one!  disgust

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2008, 06:25:13 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on August 25, 2008, 03:11:39 PM

Berzerker is just downright fun..a viking pinball of doom (and I suspect the Champion will be similar in the air).

Zerker is fun, but they're as frail as the Commando, and since they have to be in melee, they can get one-shot fairly easily by the tougher mobs.

Defender is a great solo class imho.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: