http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 11:49:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings  (Read 7694 times)
Ralph-Wiggum
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 18, 2012, 07:59:33 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 18, 2012, 06:35:44 PM

They were mentioned quite a bit in Roche's path,and were quite central to the plot

Ah. I don't think they were mentioned at all in Chapter 2 if you took the Iorvath path.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 16, 2012, 08:56:36 PM »

ARISE!!

I tried Witcher 2 on PC when it was first released, and didn't really like it.  Mainly because movement felt so damn clunky (moving Geralt felt like I was driving a tank), I could never get the hang of combat, and I felt like I was left to my own devices to figure out damn near everything.  Also had some serious framerate issues going on with my PC, even though every other game runs perfectly smooth.  Put in about 3 hours and left disappointed, as I really hoped it would click.

Decided to give it another shot on 360 over the weekend, and I swear it feels like I'm playing an entirely different game.  Movement and camera both feel really smooth, the combat is about 1,000,000 times better when playing with a gamepad, and the graphical issues are all gone (looks fantastic my my shiny new 50" HDTV smile).  And since there's an tutorial this time around, I actually know what the hell I'm doing.  Novel concept, eh?  Really looking forward to giving this one another shot, as I've heard lots and lots of good things about it.

Anyways...a couple quick questions:

1.  Anyone got some good tips in terms of a character build for this?  I tend to gravitate towards hitty-smashy types, so anything melee focused would be a good thing.
2.  How vital is alchemy?  It seems a bit overwhelming to start, but maybe I just need research it a bit...
3.  Any general tips I should know before really diving in?

TIA

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 16, 2012, 09:27:01 PM »

I can't actually remember much to answer your first two questions

But i can tell you to get used to using 'block',IIRC you can't just keep on slashing away at the enemy,as you will just die,you have to get used to blocking and striking,your health will not replenish until after you are out of attack mode then it rises slowly(on normal mode anyway) ..so you can't keep blocking and thinking your health will replenish like in a lot of other games

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 16, 2012, 10:41:49 PM »

oooooh gratch this was a fun one!  the first game i went with when i got back into pc - gaming!

my memory is a bit foggy but i DID go with a melee build as well.  i think i leaned toward the HP bumps early on as i heard the game could be difficult and wanted a buffer.  i think i personally also went with a more evasive character over a blocking character, as i felt blocking reduced the resource used a bit more than rolling, and rolling was generally more effective for getting in and out quickly.  also i think i remember the "general" skill tree being pretty useful for a melee character, though i could be wrong...

i can tell you alchemy IS important.  very important.  i bumped up a few of my stats in that tree because they looked interesting to me, but i didnt feel the need to really pump it up though i can see an interesting build there.  the bottom line is there are some fights / dungeons in the game where you will curse, bitch cry and whine about how hard it is before the light goes off in your head to pop a few potions.  suddenly the part you thought youd have to grind hours for is a wonderful challenge, not an exercise in frustration.  the bottom line:  alchemy is a central part of being a witcher.  you dont have to put a bunch of points into the tree, but any time you look at that forboding cave or spider riddled forest you should probably take a moment to quaff a few potions.

and also - cat eye.  use it.  no, really, dont get aggravated wandering through a dark dungeon to save 3 lousy flowers.  use it slywink  and have fun!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 17, 2012, 04:15:58 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on December 16, 2012, 10:41:49 PM

and also - cat eye.  use it.  no, really, dont get aggravated wandering through a dark dungeon to save 3 lousy flowers.  use it slywink  and have fun!

bah, just bump up the gamma and don't kill those innocent flowers!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 17, 2012, 12:16:05 PM »

Yeah, like Doopri, I finished The Witcher 2 with a heavily melee-centric build and quickly learned that properly applied alchemy can transform a gruelingly difficult fight into a fun, flashy victory.  Again, I never put a single point into the tree, but I definitely picked up every recipe and beastiary book I could find.

Definitely do not put any skill points into deflecting arrows.  Unless things have been heavily patched, you'll be able to count on one hand the number of times you face archers of any note.  Definitely do pick up the dodging upgrades that increase how far Geralt can roll -- with a little practice, they'll let you spin all the way around an enemy for a quick backstab.

Much like Dragon Age, this is a game that expects you to spend your money.  Crafting supplies, armor and weapon blueprints, quest objects -- it's not like Geralt is saving for retirement.

I also invested some points into some of the Signs.  Quen, the shield Sign, is invaluable even before you upgrade it to reflect damage back on your attackers.  A lot of the combat is about crowd control, so I also got a lot of use from the Yrden Sign which evens the odds with runic traps.

And yeah, even on the PC, The Witcher 2 controls much better with a 360 gamepad.  I started playing that way around Act II and never looked back.

-Autistic Angel
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 23, 2012, 10:43:13 PM »

Whoever designed the map and quest tracking on this game deserves a swift kick in the yambag.   icon_evil  Having to randomly hunt around to find quests and locations is turning what should be a fun game into a massive exercise in frustration.  About ready to put my controller through the gorram screen.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 24, 2012, 12:05:49 AM »

See, this is why I'm always saying Gratch needs to be live-streaming his games.  Not only would it be a massive draw for the site, but a simple on-site moderator could help him poll live chat participants for help without fear of spoilers.

It sounds like you're in Act II?  That's where most people feel the map lets them down.  I found the world designed in a way that I quickly learned to find my own way around, but you may have wound up on a completely different path....

-Autistic Angel
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 24, 2012, 04:58:29 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on December 24, 2012, 12:05:49 AM

See, this is why I'm always saying Gratch needs to be live-streaming his games.  Not only would it be a massive draw for the site, but a simple on-site moderator could help him poll live chat participants for help without fear of spoilers.

It sounds like you're in Act II?  That's where most people feel the map lets them down.  I found the world designed in a way that I quickly learned to find my own way around, but you may have wound up on a completely different path....

-Autistic Angel

Almost to Act 2 (I think)...just did the fight with the big swamp monster thing.  It wouldn't be quite as bad if the mini-map stayed in one place, but having it rotate constantly throws me off.   Add in some very inaccurate quest markers, locales that all look very similar (i.e. the forest paths), vague objectives, and it all adds up to some serious frustration.  I'm still sort of liking the game, but it's requiring me to stay pretty much glued to an FAQ.  Not exactly the way I like to play.

The game just threw a shit-ton of stuff at me in a really quick span:  a whole mess about Squirrels, rebellions, kingslayers, disjointed memories, some Yennifer chick...I have to admit I'm struggling to keep up with everything that's going on.  I just made a few choices that seemed fairly major (mostly involving Triss), but I pretty much had to guess as to the best response because I really couldn't figure out what either reply meant.  Guess we'll see what happens.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 24, 2012, 07:00:25 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 24, 2012, 04:58:29 AM

..some Yennifer chick...I have to admit I'm struggling to keep up with everything that's going on.  I just made a few choices that seemed fairly major (mostly involving Triss), but I pretty much had to guess as to the best response because I really couldn't figure out what either reply meant.  Guess we'll see what happens.

Making decisions around both of them are a bit easier if you played the 1st game and read the books. I did find I was given enough info in the game to be fairly effective in making most of my decisions, but backstory definitely helped out a few times.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 24, 2012, 03:30:05 PM »

Yambag  icon_lol

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 25, 2012, 12:49:40 AM »

I bailed on the first Witcher game around Chapter 4 and on the first Witcher book...I don't know, at some point after reading it would put me to sleep mid-chapter.  That's not hyperbole.  Anyway, by the end of The Witcher 2, I still felt like I had a pretty firm grasp of all the major players and Geralt's backstory with Yennifer.  Stick with it and you'll be fine.

As far as checking FAQs, I had to look something up for an Act I sidequest because I knew *what* I was supposed to do, but no idea how the game wanted it done.  There was also an especially obtuse optional quest in Act III that I couldn't make heads or tails of, but everything else I was able to figure out by searching around and examining the in-game material.  The books you find about monster species really are helpful in learning how to take them down.

I can't wait to hear more about how the story unfolds for you.  The Witcher 2 is rife with major decision points, often so transparent that you don't even appreciate how much difference they make until you try to talk to another player and realize their situation is wildly different from yours. nod

-Autistic Ange
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 06, 2013, 06:52:26 AM »

Sooooooooooooop late to he party. Still, what the hell.

I've only played about 3 hrs or so of this so far, but it's been a grand experience. Back to it!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: