http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 05:34:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings  (Read 6859 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2012, 01:36:59 AM »

Xbox 360 trailer for everything that's new in the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SCTiIVT0DRI
2minutes 15 seconds

Now that Mass Effect 3 has come and gone,this is my next most anticipated release,can not wait!!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2012, 01:54:37 AM »

I'll be replaying on the PC with the enhanced edition sometime this summer I'm sure. Loved it the first time through.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2012, 01:19:55 PM »

I am getting really giddy for this

GameInformer have just done an article for the game
Everything you need to know about The Witcher 2

Reviews are rolling in

Eurogamer-9

Where endless talk of mythical factions, rivalries and loyalty can drag even the best fantasy fiction down, in The Witcher 2, the backstory is as compelling as the plot that darts through it. And the weave of systems and story ensures that here is a legend as beautiful in the reality as it is in the telling.

OXMUK-9

The Witcher 2 is a huge, complex and expertly written RPG that has the capacity to consume weeks, maybe even months of your life. While its roots are on the PC, it's translated effortlessly to the Xbox 360 with no compromises and stacks up well against the prettiest games on the system. It's more hardcore than Skyrim but by no means inaccessible and, crucially, rewards any extra time and effort you're prepared to put into the crafting and combat.

CVG-9.2

Even better, this is far from a straight port. Dubbed the 'Enhanced Edition', 360 owners get a subtle drip of fresh content in the shape of side quests, fresh faces and beefed up cutscenes. The only real surprise is that it's taken this long to come to 360. Ultimately, The Witcher 2 is an outstanding title that offers a uniquely tough take on role playing - standing proudly alongside its more revered peers, and quite possibly gobbing a greenish wad of phlegm in their faces for good measure.

come on,who needs weekends,i want it to be Tuesday already!!

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2012, 01:29:51 PM »

I do not have a xbox and play the shit of of the witcher series on the PC.  If I had a xbox I would buy a new copy and play it again.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2012, 06:07:24 PM »

I am really excited for this one! I really wish the original would have come out on the 360.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2012, 06:16:13 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on April 13, 2012, 01:29:51 PM

I do not have a xbox and play the shit of of the witcher series on the PC.  If I had a xbox I would buy a new copy and play it again.

even though I have a copy for the PC I may grab the 360 version to enjoy the game on the big screen.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2012, 10:33:35 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 13, 2012, 06:16:13 PM

Quote from: Morgul on April 13, 2012, 01:29:51 PM

even though I have a copy for the PC I may grab the 360 version to enjoy the game on the big screen.

Ditto.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2012, 11:09:46 PM »

I never finished the original Witcher.  Is that going to be a big problem for this one?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2012, 12:28:51 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 13, 2012, 11:09:46 PM

I never finished the original Witcher.  Is that going to be a big problem for this one?

No.

Geralt has memory loss so the few characters you meet from the first game will have a "do I know you?" moment. And those that don't its not a big deal.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2012, 09:42:06 PM »

Yeah, I played on PC without having played the first and didn't feel like i missed much.
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2012, 12:56:39 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 13, 2012, 11:09:46 PM

I've started this on PC, but not finished it. The biggest part of not playing W1 is missing the story from it. It was pretty darn good, IMO. But there's not a lot of continuity between the two, outside of the settings, yourself, and a few major characters.

Think of the games like short stories from a favorite author or tv episodes. They are largely self contained, it's pretty easy to jump in, figure out who's who, and enjoy the story.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2012, 03:20:06 AM »

chalk me up as another who only played a little of the first one before moving on to the second one and enjoying it all the same.  highly recommend this game.  one of my top games from 2011 and among my favorite RPG's of all time. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2012, 12:41:59 PM »

I love witcher 1.  Maybe better then 2.  But yea, the two books I have read are actually short stories.  Very good books too.

But anyways, I do not think the games stories have a whole lot in common, just like the books. 

Your a witcher, you kill monsters, and you deal with the humans or the squirrels..  Throw in a wierd undead monster and the story begins, heh..
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2012, 04:23:38 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on April 15, 2012, 12:41:59 PM

I love witcher 1.  Maybe better then 2.  But yea, the two books I have read are actually short stories.  Very good books too.
Huh, did you read the series in another language other than English? The only 2 books currently available in English (The Last Wish and The Blood of Elves) consist of a short story collection framed between brief, consecutive chapters (1st book) and a complete / continuous novel (2nd book.)

But anyways, I do not think the games stories have a whole lot in common, just like the books.
Going by the only 2 book that are available in English (much more avaiable in Polish) I could see where someone might incorrectly get that impression. However, all the stories are in 1 way linked to the events occuring in the Nordling (northern) kingdoms as a result of the Nilfgaardian hordes being an ever present threat from the South. The difference with the games is that Witcher 2 is set amidst events surrounding a new Nilfgaard-Nordling war which hasn`t occurred yet in the original canon. Its still very much in keeping with the thread and theme of the canon though. The 1st game is a return 5 years later to the setting of the same named short story in the 1st book - so there's a direct link there.

Your a witcher, you kill monsters, and you deal with the humans or the squirrels..  Throw in a wierd undead monster and the story begins, heh..
Man, you must have speed-read the books or been inebriated at the time. There's a great deal more than that including a fair amount of romance and sex - although the latter isn't graphically described. slywink And its all dark fantasy for sure, complete with racism, sexism and classism. Althought that`s only subtely detailed, which is one of Sapkowski's great skills - he tells entertaining stories while building a nicely detailed world at the same time.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 04:26:50 PM by kronovan » Logged
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2012, 05:25:32 PM »

Yes, last wish and the blood elves, ebook format on itunes.

Unfortunately I cannot read polish, but I will but the books if/when they translate them.

In a way, they remind me of Thieves World, tales of the Vulgar Unicorn.   If anyone remembers lythande the star browed. 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2012, 05:47:39 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on April 16, 2012, 05:25:32 PM

In a way, they remind me of Thieves World, tales of the Vulgar Unicorn.   If anyone remembers lythande the star browed.

Yep, I could see where someone could draw a comparison to some of the Thieves World books. Sapkowsksi`s style actually reminds me a lot of Glen Cook`s Black Company series. He didn`t start writing the Witcher series until the early 90`s, so I`ve wondered a few times if such novels were an inspiration to him.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 06:16:05 PM by kronovan » Logged
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2012, 07:05:34 PM »

Kronovan,

Do you know if they do plan to bring more of the books to English?

I would like to read more of them.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2012, 07:26:48 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on April 16, 2012, 07:05:34 PM

Kronovan,

Do you know if they do plan to bring more of the books to English?

I would like to read more of them.

The next book, The Time of Contempt, is coming later this year.  There was a long holdup due to some translation issues (and maybe some stuff with rights) but it has been worked out and hopefully they will get the rest out on a better schedule. 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2012, 07:41:25 PM »

The publisher (Orbit Books) doesn't currently have any plans to translate the 2nd book into English. Apparently a few fans have contacted them and been informed they wouldn't be translating it, as being a collection of short stories like the 1st, it won't sell well enough in English markets. Their position on that surprises me because The Last Wish is supposedly selling quite well. A shame because the the Sword of Destiny is supposed to be one of the best in the series and sets up the background for The Saga books. The 5 Saga books (Blood of Elves was the 1st) are supposed to all be eventually published in English and in fact Times of Contempt is due out this year. All of which is promising, except that The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny are considered the better Witcher books by quite a margin.

There's a petition kicking around the Internet somewhere urging Orbit to reconsider the Sword of Destiny, but I unfortunately don't have the link.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 08:02:54 PM by kronovan » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2012, 08:04:14 PM »

there's always fan translations of Sword of Destiny.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2012, 08:41:29 PM »

GameInformer Review-9.5

There are very few differences between playing this on 360 or a high-end PC. The graphical gap is noticeable but trivial, load times are short and infrequent on both, and the game plays equally well on mouse/keyboard and gamepad. Several complaints I had about the original – horrid inventory management, punishing early difficulty, targeting problems – have been patched away since launch, and those improvements are incorporated here (thus the slightly higher score). The few flaws I take issue with should in no way discourage anyone from playing this fantastic, unique RPG. So long as they’re over 18, anyway, because this is the most deserving M rating I’ve ever personally played through.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2012, 08:43:16 PM »

After viewing and reading fan subs/translations of anime and manga for years, I shy away from them now. Some of them can be good, but they're usually the exception than the norm. And damn if the quality of the English in the Orbit publications isn't just excellent. I'll check into the fan translation of SoD, but I won't hold my breath.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2012, 05:14:47 AM »

Well, I decided I'd brave my local Walmart and while it took the lady 20 minutes to find the game in the back, I'm installing now. The packaging is pretty sweet. Wasn't expecting the soundtrack, a quest handbook and map in a standard edition.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2012, 01:42:34 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 16, 2012, 08:41:29 PM

GameInformer Review-9.5

There are very few differences between playing this on 360 or a high-end PC. The graphical gap is noticeable but trivial, load times are short and infrequent on both, and the game plays equally well on mouse/keyboard and gamepad. Several complaints I had about the original – horrid inventory management, punishing early difficulty, targeting problems – have been patched away since launch, and those improvements are incorporated here (thus the slightly higher score). The few flaws I take issue with should in no way discourage anyone from playing this fantastic, unique RPG. So long as they’re over 18, anyway, because this is the most deserving M rating I’ve ever personally played through.

Yeah I am honestly shocked at how good this looks on the 360. They pulled off something of a miracle with the visuals. It looks better than the PC in someways. The lighting is incredible.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2012, 04:22:43 PM »

I played the tutorial this morning and a little of the main quest,scared of missing stuff,so been talking to everyone

I may even replay the tutorial,just so i am down with the controls and inventory

First time i played i got a little mixed up towards the end and came out with Normal difficulty suggestion,which IS the difficulty i will be playing on,but still ...just want to make sure i learn everything

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2012, 08:15:19 PM »

I don't think much of the mini games,LOL

Or at least i don't think much of the (360 controller)Stick controls in the minigames...Arm Wrestling is hard to do with the right stick because it goes everywhere when you have to try and be percise

same with throwing the dice in Dice Poker,you just tap the right stick(its right stick to throw you see)and the damn dice fly off the table,and you lose your dice

not done the fist fighting yet

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2012, 11:57:15 PM »

Totally forgot this was coming out... just ordered it today.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2012, 04:35:10 AM »

Got this and put in a few hours tonight (got to the start of Chapter 1). I had only played the first game up until the beginning of chapter 2, so I was a bit lost when it came to some of the plot. They talked about numerous past characters without much background into who they were/what happened. I've still been able to follow the main plot pretty easily, though.

My only complaint so far is that the right stick/camera controls moves too fast for my liking. I wish there was an option to set the speed with which the camera turned.
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2012, 03:14:55 PM »

My understanding is that Witcher 2's story starts with a lot of things "in progress" already, and none of those things really relate to Witcher 1, so playing the  first title is only going to flesh out the backstory and give you more character info. I never played the first so I felt kinda lost storywise at the start of 2, but quickly caught on to what was happening and later read that the story is meant to be this way.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2012, 07:46:48 PM »

Quote from: Covenant on April 18, 2012, 03:14:55 PM

My understanding is that Witcher 2's story starts with a lot of things "in progress" alreaduy, and none of those things really relate to Witcher 1, so playing the  first title is only going to flesh out the backstory and give you more character info. I never played the first so I felt kinda lost storywise at the start of 2, but quickly caught on to what was happening and later read that the story is meant to be this way.

This is pretty much the case for all of the Witcher canon and it's intential. The original books were almost entirely a collection of short stories. Eventually, the author went to a more tradition novel format with consecutive chapters (the Saga series) but that wasn't until after 2 books of many diverse, short stories had been written. The video games really follow the structure of the short stories in the first books - in fact the 1st game is a return to the setting of the very 1st short story. There's a heckuva lot in the Witcher canon, but the way the stories are told you can really jump in at any point and discover it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 07:48:35 PM by kronovan » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2012, 08:30:59 PM »

I haven't got a friggin' clue what i am doing in this game,LOL

I just found storage at Flotsam,and understand that they added that as a patch,how people managed before that storage patch i have no idea because i was walking slowly around everywhere because of carrying too much,and i have only put in a few hours

That cloth and leather that you pick up creeps up on you with weight,not sure if the storage is neverending but the amount of crap i dumped in there nearly was icon_biggrin

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2012, 09:00:35 PM »

Innkeepers have provided storage since Witcher 1. I'm really into the alchemy in Witcher 1, so I usually store my ingredients with an Inn. Then when I'm ready to brew or create items, I'll just get a room for the miniscule 5 orens it costs and go to work. Or are you perhaps referring to different storage?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2012, 09:42:39 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on April 18, 2012, 09:00:35 PM

Innkeepers have provided storage since Witcher 1. I'm really into the alchemy in Witcher 1, so I usually store my ingredients with an Inn. Then when I'm ready to brew or create items, I'll just get a room for the miniscule 5 orens it costs and go to work. Or are you perhaps referring to different storage?

I don't know,i needed to know if storage was in the game so looked it up on the Witcher 2 wiki,and it said it got implemented in Patch 1.3

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Witcher_2_storage

Patch 1.3 adds the ability to store items that players may wish to save for later use, without forcing Geralt to carry them everywhere he goes.

siege

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2012, 02:31:22 PM »

Aside from the typical jank European developed Rpg's are known for, this is an excellent game. Definitely the best story I've witnessed in a video game. The dialogue is needlessly crude at times but it has its own charm within the world they've created. I'd likely compare it to A Game of Thrones with all the politics and morally gray areas the characters work within.

The menu system is a bit unrefined and combat isn't as engaging as I'd like but I enjoy the signs system as well as alchemy and traps. Overall, I'd say it's the best Rpg I've played in years and I hope it's a commercial success for a developer who's obviously got a clue about presenting an actual interesting story while managing to keep the actual game fun to play.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2012, 03:06:52 PM »

Quote from: siege on April 19, 2012, 02:31:22 PM

I'd likely compare it to A Game of Thrones with all the politics and morally gray areas the characters work within.

Huh, that's an odd comparison. While both feature the behind the scenes manipulations of characters with questionable morality, there's very little else similar between the 2 settings. AGoT is s high fantasy human story set in on an island with 7 warring nations. While the Witcher series is a dark fantasy setting on a continent with multiple races and nations reeling from a single massive threat from the south. The setting of the witcher is populated with a massive and diverse beastiary, whereas Westeros is far from that. Sorry, but I really don't see the point of drawing a comparison between the 2 for any aspect. Me thinks you should purchase some of the books in game and read them a little. slywink
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 04:22:27 PM by kronovan » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2012, 04:35:35 PM »

As someone who has read both the published English books and played both games (the first one twice), I feel qualified to agree with siege in his comparison with A Song of Ice and Fire. The two stories have strong similarities in their political complexities and moral ambiguities. They feel very similar even if The Witcher has more fantastical elements.

Kronovan, two stories don't have to match in every way to be similar. Some extreme examples of this can be found in, say, Star Wars. Did you know Star Wars: A New Hope is a space-version of several samurai movies by Akira Kurosawa, or that the space combat is ripped off of various WWII movies? Totally different settings with very obvious and deliberate similarities.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2012, 05:17:50 PM »

Sorry, but its a loose comparions at best. Comparing Witcher to AGoT is about as accurate as saying the Witcher is like just any other fantasy setting that ever had characters secretly conspiring in the background. The 2 draw on the literary traditions of completely different fantasy genres. Anyhow I'm glad you both think so highly of AGoT;personally, I'll take the grit, foul language and the dark repression of the Witcher to it any day.

Tilt, I'm well aware of Lucas' relationship with Joseph Campbell and him wanting to capture the trappings of bushido and the samurai mythos in New Hope. That said, saying that Star Wars film is just a reskinning of samurai movies is very innacurate.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 04:09:59 PM by kronovan » Logged
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2012, 06:14:01 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on April 19, 2012, 05:17:50 PM

Sorry, but its a loose comparions at best. Comparing Witcher to AGoT is about as accurate as saying the Witcher is like just any other fantasy setting that ever had characters secretly conspiring in the background. The 2 draw on the literary traditions of completely different fantasy genres. Anyhow I'm glad you both think so highly of AGoT;personally, I'll take the grit, foul language and the dark repression of the Witcher to it any day.

Tilt, I'm well aware of Lucas' relationship with Joseph Campbell and him wanting to capture the trappings of bushido and the samurai mythos in New Hope. That said, saying that Star Wars film is just a reskinning of samurai movies is very innacurate.

Nope.  I'm with TiLT and siege here.  Within about an hour of Witcher 2 it immediately reminds me of GoT thematically.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2012, 03:13:47 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on April 19, 2012, 05:17:50 PM

You need to watch The Hidden Fortress, then.

Of course you can argue minutiae to prove that it's not A New Hope, but there are enough strong similarities there.

I haven't played Witcher 2 yet (or watched/read Game of Thrones), so I can't comment on the similarities, but it's sounding like you have an issue with GoT and are irked that some are finding similarities.  Alternately, it may be that you revere the Witcher series and are upset that some seem to say it's copying something that came before.

I don't think anyone here is knocking Witcher 2 for its similarities to Game of Thrones at all.  Much as I don't think anyone would say Star Wars is a cheap knock off of The Hidden Fortress.

Hell, I love both The Magnificent Seven and The Seven Samurai.  Even with those two, you could argue details that make the films different.  But, come one, the former is a reskinning of the latter.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2012, 07:33:57 PM »

Man, this is one of those games that I needed to play awhile before it "clicked" with me. At first I had issues with the combat, but that was due to me being unprepared. And there is no hand holding here at all. It's more along the lines of tossing a kid into the water so they learn how to swim.

Now if they can make the combat a little less floaty for the next game. Dark Souls did it right and everyone should copy that shit.

This is the game that Two Worlds 2 could have been....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: