http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 11:53:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Test Drive Unlimited Impressions  (Read 3430 times)
coopasonic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 07, 2006, 12:26:30 AM »

If anyone wants to PM me their "refer a friend" code, feel free  icon_twisted, if we can figure out a way to split the cars I'm all for it!

The intro is kind of cool as you pick one of 8 or so pre-rendered characters, rent a car to go house shopping, buy a house and then go car shopping... at the end of which you have almost no money left, you are also automatically sent to your first race. After that it is a lot like the demo, there are solo and MP races, time trials and speed trials and races against the AI all for cash prices and they all seem to be endlessly repeatable if you want to grind out some dough.

There are also "tasks", you run across folks standing by the side of the road that need you to give them a ride somewhere in a limited amount of time. The rewards for these tasks are some "vouchers" that you use to buy clothes for your avatar. Based on what I have seen so far they seem to be fairly generous, getting 6 or 7 vouchers for a task when a piece of clothing only costs one voucher.

Also, despite the fact that you pick from a small number of characters in the beginning at your house you can modify all sorts of attributes of your character to make them look like you want. I only checked out options for modifiying the faic/hair/etc, I forget if there were even any body options. Probably not since I didn't notice them.

I haven't found a place to upgrade the cars yet, but the manual says they exist. Your house has limited space in the garage (room for 4 cars in the starter house).

I leveled up from rookie to amateur by the end of an hour or so of play wich unlocked photo mode, not thta I care about photo mode.  I['m not sure what other differences leveling up may have made. My Alfa isn't any faster. Time to go do some more races and try to get me a Vette. biggrin

More in depth impressions below...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 08:26:26 PM by coopasonic » Logged

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 12:42:32 PM »

How are the driving physics? I'm assuming you're using the 360 controller, how does that feel with the game? I'm still on the fence about TDU, so I need some more info. I'm not concerned if it doesn't have a "Grand Prix Legends" level of simulation, just something with a realistic feel to it, even GTASA-like physics is good with me. And hopefully the bike physics are good, I'm a bit of a bike nut.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 01:27:09 PM »

Driving Physics would be, by far, the weak point of the full game just like it was in the demo (and yes I am using the regular wireless controller). Someone somewhere commented that the driving in the full game was much better than the demo. The only thing I can think of is they are driving the slow newbie cars you get when you first start the game and those feel better because they aren't fast enough to get all squirrelly like the faster cars. As far as driving goes, I think the demo is fully representative. It is some kind of frankenstein mish-mash of sim and arcade driving. The steering is hyper-sensitive to small adjustments at high speeds. The tiniest adjustment sending you flying across 3 lanes of traffic. and initiating a terrifying 50 foot wide fishtail.

Other than that the game is incredible. Shame the driving is kind of what it is all about. given what I've said about the driving, I'm still really enjoying it so far. The world is so cool, that I'm able to overlook the driving issues to a small degree. I played for about 3 hours last night and the garage is my starter house is now full. I've got the n00b Alfa Romeo that I bought with my starter cash, a Nissan 350Z Nismo that kicks ass on flat ground (hills send it flying), a C6 Corvette Z06 that defines loose, except when compared to my 69 Corvette Stingray. With those cars I have B, E, F, G classes covered and so far there has been no shortage of different race options to play around with.

I've done plenty of point to point and lap races both times and against AI, speed trap races similar to PGR3 except you are going for an average speed over 4 or 5 speed traps spread around a mile+ of territory, I've delivered a moderately dented ferrari for $64k.. would have been $80k if that freakin truck hadn't changed lanes at just the wrong time.. oops. I've taken hitchhiking surfers to the baech and shopping supermodels back to their houses. The people transport challenges are kind of cool in that they are time limited and penalized for crashing and going off-road, so keeping things in control is important. The transpotr ones are the ones that give you the vouchers for buying clothes.

Of everything I've done so far, the $80k Ferrari delivery challenge is the only one that is not repeatable. OF course with 100 transport challenges and 120 single player race events, you don't need to repeat stuff too often.

I leveled up to Pro at the end of my gaming night last night which unlocked the course editor, so I can create my own courses now. Oh that brings up something else I ahven't seen mentioned yet, the diners. At Diners you can set up your own race challenge. Basically you set a base pot, course, number of days for the challenge to run and an entry fee and over that time other players can race your course and at the end of the time limit whoever did it fastest gets the pot + all the entry fees. With thousands of people playing that can add up.

There's a car club feature, but I didn't check that out. If anyone wants to create a club let me know, I'll be glad to join.

I can't think of anything else worth mentioning at the moment. The graphics are growing on me. There's something not quite right about them and I'm not 100% sure what it is, I think the colors are just duller than you would expect. I've been to Hawaii, it's full of vibrant colors, and I'm not just talking about the tourists shirts. slywink

So Driving Model  thumbsdown everything else  thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup shame about that driving model.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 02:33:28 PM »

Do you need XBox Live Gold to participate in the online portion?  I'm guessing yes, but I'm still not 100% clear on how that whole thing works.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 03:01:46 PM »

Yes, Gold is required for any multiplayer on Live.

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 08:41:54 PM »

I'm sorry, but that's fucking lame.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 08:57:37 PM »

Lame or not that has been how MS has done it since the original Xbox. With the 360 at least you can get patches and demos without the subscription, so it has gotten better. I find it well worth the $4 a month... of course it doesn't take much to be worth $4/month. slywink The game does come with a code good for 48 hours of Live Gold.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 05:42:04 AM »

this game comes out today here in england,so i will be definetly picking it up,i loved the demo and had a good laugh playing

not sure why Ike has said that having xbox live gold is lame for wanting to play the multiplayer parts of the game,as that is what it is like for everygame bar final fantasy 11

i also am not sure how this works online,as it is meant to cater for 10,000 people...so,are we talking about multiple servers?....are they dedicated servers?,they would have to be if they have 10,000 people,and also....can you even fit 10,000 people on the roads of this hawiian island?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 11:51:47 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 08, 2006, 05:42:04 AM

i also am not sure how this works online,as it is meant to cater for 10,000 people...so,are we talking about multiple servers?....are they dedicated servers?,they would have to be if they have 10,000 people,and also....can you even fit 10,000 people on the roads of this hawiian island?

Generally you will have 5-6 people driving around in the same part of the island you are, thikn of the game like a giant lobby for multiplayer. You can drive up to another player and hit A to start an instant challenge or you can drive up to a multi-player race icon and it does the usual quick match or search for ranked or unranked races that most other MP games have.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 01:22:41 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on September 07, 2006, 08:57:37 PM

Lame or not that has been how MS has done it since the original Xbox. With the 360 at least you can get patches and demos without the subscription, so it has gotten better. I find it well worth the $4 a month... of course it doesn't take much to be worth $4/month. slywink The game does come with a code good for 48 hours of Live Gold.

i second that.  xbox live gold is an incredibly value.  each month, for less than the price of a pack of cigarettes, i get the convenience of demos, patches, arcade, MP, etc., all available whenever i want.  i'm a huge fan of the way microsoft implements and maintains it.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 03:37:56 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 08, 2006, 01:22:41 PM

i second that.  xbox live gold is an incredibly value.  each month, for less than the price of a pack of cigarettes, i get the convenience of demos, patches, arcade, MP, etc., all available whenever i want.  i'm a huge fan of the way microsoft implements and maintains it.

Not to totally derail the thread but you can get demos, patches and download and play arcade games with the free Xbox Live Silver service.  All the Gold service gets you is the ability to play multiplayer.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 03:40:27 PM »

Quote from: warning on September 08, 2006, 03:37:56 PM

Not to totally derail the thread but you can get demos, patches and download and play arcade games with the free Xbox Live Silver service.  All the Gold service gets you is the ability to play multiplayer.

true, i forgot about that.  however, the MP is so darn good that i still feel it's worth it.  voice communication is so well done that i don't think i've ever NOT used it.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2006, 07:23:38 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 08, 2006, 03:40:27 PM

Quote from: warning on September 08, 2006, 03:37:56 PM

true, i forgot about that.  however, the MP is so darn good that i still feel it's worth it.  voice communication is so well done that i don't think i've ever NOT used it.

Voice communication is great if you're playing with friends, but for in general I have grown to hate it because I don't really care to hear random people talking shit, bragging, swearing and calling other people fags.  I play games to relax and have fun and I don't find rude, derisive, overly-competitive gaming fun.  I guess tha'ts why I've let my Live drop back to Silver and haven't missed it.  Cripes, I feel like an old fogey and I'm not even 30 yet!

But to get back on topic...what exactly is the "refer a friend" code and what does it do for you and/or your friend in this game? 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 07:44:40 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2006, 08:40:11 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 09, 2006, 07:23:38 PM

But to get back on topic...what exactly is the "refer a friend" code and what does it do for you and/or your friend in this game? 

The referrer gets two nice cars, I don't have the flyer with me right here to name them, but I remember they were nice... and not yet available in game any other way.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2006, 09:26:38 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on September 09, 2006, 08:40:11 PM

The referrer gets two nice cars, I don't have the flyer with me right here to name them, but I remember they were nice... and not yet available in game any other way.

So what does the friend get?  Just some crappy spam mail? 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2006, 10:38:42 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 09, 2006, 09:26:38 PM

Quote from: coopasonic on September 09, 2006, 08:40:11 PM

So what does the friend get?  Just some crappy spam mail? 

To play the game. slywink Like I said in my original post, if there is a way to trade the cars, the referrer could give one of the two cars to the friend.  Not sure if there is a way to pull it off without taking a risk on the marketplace. I guess you could try to meet up and race for pinks and let the friend win.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2006, 08:13:45 PM »

Alright, you bastards.  I bought it.  Haven't played it yet, but you guys talked me into it so I will be playing today at some time.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2006, 08:56:47 PM »

I played it for about 2 hours and just could not get into it.  Not my style of racer.  I'm gonna pass it to the staff to check it out - some of them are more into the genre than I am.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2006, 12:34:32 AM »

Good impressions, but solidified this as a definite rental for me.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2006, 03:16:04 AM »

I played it for a bit today and really liked it.  Yeah, it doesn't handle as well as PGR3 for me, but I like the setup of the game and the way they have all the unlocking and the fact that you have to drive to a place first before you can warp to it.  How does this code thing work?  I have to get a code from someone to get the cars and then they have ot hope they can get someone else's code?  Knightshade, can I get your code since you won't be playing it?

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2006, 10:33:51 AM »

the car delivery missions are the best,no time limit,but you have to drive sensibly...and if you get a perfect then you get 50% of your end prize money......usually 80k plus the 50%=120k

i just bought my first ferrari

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2006, 12:09:03 PM »

My next question is regarding friends.  Is there a way to see your friends on the island no matter where they are?

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2006, 01:21:55 PM »

I haven't really checked into the friends thing since very few on my friends list are playing it. I know you can switch the map to show other players and maybe friends will be a different color or something. If you want, I can set up a car club, that might help. 250k to set up, but I can earn that in about 6 minutes. slywink I'm broke after my big car purchase yesterday.

3 houses, 12 cars, 3 motorcycles, 1031 miles driven. I'm still loving the heck out of this game.

Here's what is in my garage(s) at the moment:

Motorcycles:
2005 Triumph Speed Triple (mB Class Default)
2005 MV Agusta F4 Tamburini
2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R(mA Class Fave)

Cars:
1969 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray
1971 Lamborghini Miuara P400 SV (G Class Fave)
2003 Alfa Romeo Alfa GT 3.2 V6 24v (F Class Default)
2004 Nissan 350Z Nismo S-Tune (E Class Fave)
Wiesmann Roadster MF3
Maserati Gransport (D Class Fave)
2005 Lotus Sport Exige 240R (C Class Fave)
2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Coupe
2005 Dodge Viper SRT-10
2005 Ford GT (B Class Fave)
2004 Lamborghini Murciélago Coupe
2005 Ferrari Enzo (A Class Fave)

239 MPH in the fully tuned Enzo in traffic is what you might call a rush. slywink

Nobody knows exactly how the code thing works, but I'm 99% sure everyone who is exchanging codes is wrong. I think they are expecting that having two different codes is enough, but I'm betting that both codes get used up by one person. I'm willing to exchange codes with the understanding that if it only works for one of us, the "winner" loses one of the cars to the other person.

-Coop
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 01:24:14 PM by coopasonic » Logged

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2006, 02:09:31 PM »

Coop, you are on my Friend's list and I couldn't find a way to figure out where you were on the map, which actually prompted my question in the first place.  I am willing to exchange the code and try it out.  Let's look for each other online later tonight.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2006, 12:36:10 PM »

I love driving/racing games. I do. I really really really do. I likely have more total hours in PGR3 than I do in any other game on the 360.

I couldn't handle the demo for this game, and my understanding is that the physics are the same in the full game.

There's a lot of great ideas thrown into the game, but it's all packed around the driving game, and the driving physics model sucks.

If you're going to go arcade, then go arcade. Go nuts with the physics like in Need for Speed: Most Wanted. If you're going to go sim, that's fine too. I love me some Forza, and I can't wait for Forza 2.

Now the only game I can look forward to to sate my car lust this year will be NFS: Carbon, since Forza is now not likely to show up until early next year sometime.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2006, 01:26:28 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on September 12, 2006, 12:36:10 PM

I couldn't handle the demo for this game, and my understanding is that the physics are the same in the full game.

From what I've seen the driving mechanics are handled better in the full version than in the demos.  Also, I turned off the driving help which changed things for the better as well.  Maybe you should give it a rent and turn off the driving help to see if you might like it.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2006, 01:39:23 PM »

I think the driving model is the same, but you get used to it. It's just a different kind of arcade. Consider it a discount physics model, it's only $40 after all. slywink

Sorry Grue, I didn't catch you last night, it looks like you may have been on early and I was on late. The referral code site isn't up yet. Tongue

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2006, 02:08:34 PM »

Has anyone had any luck selecting a player's car in the map?  Are we even supposed ot be able to do this?  I see lots of cars on the map, but when I put the cursor over them, I don't get any kind of tooltip telling me about them, which I do get when I first get into the map, because it has automatically selected someone.  Can someone tell me how to select another player to view them?  Thanks.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2006, 07:18:08 PM »

not sure about that

but,there are now apparently 2 free cars available for download on the marketplace,go get 'em

be funny seeing everyone having the same cars,but i think it is more for use with tradeing and selling

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2006, 07:23:54 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 12, 2006, 07:18:08 PM

but,there are now apparently 2 free cars available for download on the marketplace,go get 'em

be funny seeing everyone having the same cars,but i think it is more for use with tradeing and selling

They're for helping to reach the achievements for a certain number of cars. They'll get me 2 closer to the 20 car achievement. slywink

I'm trying to decide if I like the way they are tying achievements back into the gameplay by having the in-game player rank tied to achievement scores. You need a certian number of gamer points to reach a new rank and unlock a new set of races. I think I like it, but I'm still nto sure. Still 70 points shy of Champion rank and unlocking the rest of the races. The frustrating part is most of the races I have left open to me now require a specific car or car type that I don't have. I guess I need some MP achievements if the servers stay up for a while.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2006, 08:44:06 PM »

Quote from: The Grue

From what I've seen the driving mechanics are handled better in the full version than in the demos.  Also, I turned off the driving help which changed things for the better as well.  Maybe you should give it a rent and turn off the driving help to see if you might like it.

It was possible to turn off the driving aids in the demo. It does help, but the game still controls horribly, whether you're driving a ford or a ferrari, it's still bad. My focus handles better at 60 in real life than a Lamborghini does in that game.

And let's not get into the motorcycles. Ugh.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2006, 06:12:54 AM »

ok i downloaded the 2 cars from marketplace but cant find the cars in the game,they are not in my garage

does anyone know where they are?

EDIT:just found out that you download them and they appear in the showroom so you can then buy them...........*cough*ripoff*cough*
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 06:53:46 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2006, 12:10:12 PM »

Ha!  How is getting two free cars to purchase with in-game money a ripoff?

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2006, 01:18:09 PM »

So, basically, the idea of "clubs" is essentially a clan system, right?  Do they offer any special perks?  Does GT have one yet?

Because I'm totally in by the weekend, baby.

TheMissingLink on PSN
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2006, 01:39:38 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on September 13, 2006, 01:18:09 PM

So, basically, the idea of "clubs" is essentially a clan system, right?  Do they offer any special perks?  Does GT have one yet?

clan system? yes
perks? You can set up events to race other clubs, I think it makes it easier to meet up with friends in the same instance
GT Club? not yet, I haven't had a chance to set one up, my fully modded Enzo set me back $940,000... I need to work up the funds again to start the club... and the garage in house#3 is almost full... need another freakin house too! And I need to buy a bunch more cars to finish races with specific car requirements so I can advance to champ level.

If a club isn't created by Sunday, I'll definitely have time by then to gather up the cash to create it. $250,000 may take as long as 6 minutes to gather up. slywink

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2006, 01:55:14 PM »

I'll have some catching up to do, methinks biggrin

Racing other clubs sounds cool...

TheMissingLink on PSN
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2006, 02:33:38 PM »

Is there a way to send money to another player?  I can help contribute to the club fund.  Maybe we set up a race for a lot of money and I purposely lose it or something.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2006, 03:07:23 PM »

I'm 60 gamer points from getting to the land of essentially unlimited funds and with a bit of luck I should be able to knock those out within a couple more hours of game time. One more Lambo, one more Chevy (and a new house to put this one in - or sell a bike), do the Island Tour race, that should get me close, 5 or 6 more delivery/escort missions and I think I'll have it.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2006, 02:47:08 AM »

Well I found different club location shave different start up costs, naturally I chose the most expensive. $750k later we have a club. "GT Joyriders", yah I know creative and all. You need to be on my friends list to get an invite. Sent invites to Grue, TML and Reemul as they are the ones on my friends list that have the game. If anyone else wants an invite PM me or apply in game at a clubhouse (ours is on the north shore in the middle by the Ducati dealer, not sure if you need to go to that one to apply) be sure you have coopasonic on your friends list. smile

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2006, 05:57:13 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on September 13, 2006, 12:10:12 PM

Ha!  How is getting two free cars to purchase with in-game money a ripoff?

because this game is less than a week old,and therfor no excuse why these cars should not of been in the game already....but...

its great advertising for people who havent got the game,them seeing on the marketplace that there are free car downloads already

the download doesnt tell you that you still have to purchase the cars in the game

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: