http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 01:35:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Ten New Titles Approach the Xbox Live Arcade Horizon  (Read 4063 times)
Zimix
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2007, 07:04:55 PM »

http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2007/01/30/540427.aspx
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 07:21:47 PM »

From that list: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Settlers of Catan, Worms.  headbang
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 07:25:32 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 30, 2007, 07:21:47 PM

From that list: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Settlers of Catan, Worms.  headbang

Add in that mini-golf title and you've got my list as well! icon_biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 07:26:09 PM »

Probably just SOTN and Alien Hominid HD for me. 
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 07:27:20 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 30, 2007, 07:26:09 PM

No one can resist Worms.  Can't be done.
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 07:29:20 PM »

Well, if I had a 360 I would definitely be getting Castlevania, as it is in my top five all time favorite games list. I would also get Alien Hominid, Eets, and probably Worms. Luckily, I don't have a 360, so I don't have to worry about spending the money.  icon_wink
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 07:29:34 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on January 30, 2007, 07:27:20 PM

Never did get the love for Worms but I'll at least snag the demo and find out if I see the light this time around. 
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 07:35:19 PM »

Catan, Catan, Catan... and Catan.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 07:38:20 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 30, 2007, 07:29:34 PM

Never did get the love for Worms but I'll at least snag the demo and find out if I see the light this time around. 

True confession:  I have never even played a Worms game.  Not even tried one out.  I feel shame.
javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 07:38:54 PM »

Quote from: warning on January 30, 2007, 07:38:20 PM

True confession:  I have never even played a Worms game.  Not even tried one out.  I feel shame.
DOOOOM

Jesters Do It Till Ya Smile! ©
          \|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 07:39:18 PM »

Did you play it multiplayer with 3 other opponents (or at least 2 others)?  That's when the game truly shines.  Trash talking, ninja-roping, worm slapping, Holy Hand Grenade throwing good times.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Settlers of Catan, Worms are my must buys.

“Band of Bugs” from NinjaBee is a fast-paced tactical strategy game that offers gameplay deep enough to satisfy tactical genre fans and friendly enough to appeal to casual gamers. Creative gamers can even design their own levels with the built-in level editor, then play them solo or over Xbox Live with friends.*

This one sounds intriguing as well.
javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 07:41:04 PM »

Quote from: Zimix on January 30, 2007, 07:04:55 PM

http://www.gamingtrend.com/PressReleases/index.php?PRID=5104  slywink

Jesters Do It Till Ya Smile! ©
          \|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 07:41:34 PM »

Honestly, a major part of the attraction has always been hot-seat multiplayer.  It was the perfect successor to Scorched Earth, and really lends itself well to trash talk.  Plus, it has exploding sheep.

The 3D versions were terrible, however.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 07:46:15 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on January 30, 2007, 07:39:18 PM

Did you play it multiplayer with 3 other opponents (or at least 2 others)?  That's when the game truly shines.  Trash talking, ninja-roping, worm slapping, Holy Hand Grenade throwing good times.

Maybe that's what I missed. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 07:54:50 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 30, 2007, 07:46:15 PM

Quote from: Jancelot on January 30, 2007, 07:39:18 PM

Did you play it multiplayer with 3 other opponents (or at least 2 others)?  That's when the game truly shines.  Trash talking, ninja-roping, worm slapping, Holy Hand Grenade throwing good times.

Maybe that's what I missed. 

The immense satisfaction of sending a worm to their doom with a benign little prod...definitely a game to play multiplayer.
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 08:23:57 PM »

Definitely Worms and Eets, that's a really fun puzzle game... and maybe the Minigolf. Things are looking good on XBLA.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 08:25:20 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on January 30, 2007, 07:25:32 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on January 30, 2007, 07:21:47 PM

Add in that mini-golf title and you've got my list as well! icon_biggrin

FWIW, that mini-golf game showed up on Gametap a while back and is completely awful.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 11:06:47 PM »

Quote from: fyedaddy on January 30, 2007, 07:35:19 PM

Catan, Catan, Catan... and Catan.

+1 icon_biggrin

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007, 11:34:38 PM »

All these games are scheduled to become available during Xbox Live Arcade Wednesdays in the coming weeks, and specific game information will be announced closer to each game’s launch date. Although a game may not be launched every week, every Wednesday is an opportunity to share in the Xbox Live Arcade experience with friends and family.

icon_frown

Oh and I hear that tomorrow there will be a big NOTHING for download for Live Arcade Wednesdays.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 11:43:46 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on January 30, 2007, 11:34:38 PM

All these games are scheduled to become available during Xbox Live Arcade Wednesdays in the coming weeks, and specific game information will be announced closer to each game’s launch date. Although a game may not be launched every week, every Wednesday is an opportunity to share in the Xbox Live Arcade experience with friends and family.

icon_frown

Oh and I hear that tomorrow there will be a big NOTHING for download for Live Arcade Wednesdays.

It's not tenable to release a fully-tested third-party-developed game once a week for fifty-two consecutive weeks.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2007, 12:49:10 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on January 30, 2007, 11:43:46 PM

icon_frown

It's not tenable to release a fully-tested third-party-developed game once a week for fifty-two consecutive weeks.

That is only 52 games a year, many/most of which have just been old arcade games. It can't be THAT hard to get one game a week out, can it? You guys don't develop them anyway. I know they go through "certification" with you guys (which seems to be the major holdup with most of these titles, according to the developers). It's not like these are incredibly complex games we are talking about here anyway.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2007, 12:56:58 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on January 31, 2007, 12:49:10 AM

That is only 52 games a year, many/most of which have just been old arcade games. It can't be THAT hard to get one game a week out, can it?

Yeah, but if they just released crap every week it would get this sort of reaction.*

*Please note, I am not saying that I think the game in question is crap.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2007, 01:00:39 AM »

icon_frown

That is only 52 games a year, many/most of which have just been old arcade games. It can't be THAT hard to get one game a week out, can it? You guys don't develop them anyway. I know they go through "certification" with you guys (which seems to be the major holdup with most of these titles, according to the developers). It's not like these are incredibly complex games we are talking about here anyway.

You're being naive - or obtuse.   You think it's somehow trivial to line up (as many as) 52 independent companies to hit particular dates a week apart?  Releasing the smallest software product is complex:  at minimum, there's months of coding and testing, and the finished product has to go through certification, which has a variable amount of time depending on the features and depth of the game.  If it fails certification, it goes back to the developers who need to fix and test any problems and resubmit.   There's also a test and development team on Xbox Live who're responsible for ensuring that the content is propped and downloadable properly.  As Kathode pointed out on another thread, release dates are a best estimate.  Software development is both a science and an art, which means that there's a necessary fluidity to ship dates.  So - if even one of your hypothetical (as many as) 52 developers misses a date, your magic schedule is done with.

Additionally, consider that all of these companies are pitching and negotiating business arrangements, localizing for other languages, etc, etc, and maybe you can see why the ducks don't just line up.  It's not like there's just a stack of ready-to-go games just waiting to be switched on.  Even those "old arcade games" aren't straight ports - they have multiplayer, or enhanced graphics, or whatever (and are delivered by 3rd parties, just like the rest of them).

What field do you work in?  Perhaps I can come up with an appropriate metaphor.  Suffice it to say the 'herding cats' one that everyone's familiar with is triply difficult when working with external partners.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2007, 02:02:36 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on January 31, 2007, 01:00:39 AM

icon_frown

You're being naive - or obtuse.   You think it's somehow trivial to line up (as many as) 52 independent companies to hit particular dates a week apart?  Releasing the smallest software product is complex:  at minimum, there's months of coding and testing, and the finished product has to go through certification, which has a variable amount of time depending on the features and depth of the game.  If it fails certification, it goes back to the developers who need to fix and test any problems and resubmit.   There's also a test and development team on Xbox Live who're responsible for ensuring that the content is propped and downloadable properly.  As Kathode pointed out on another thread, release dates are a best estimate.  Software development is both a science and an art, which means that there's a necessary fluidity to ship dates.  So - if even one of your hypothetical (as many as) 52 developers misses a date, your magic schedule is done with.

Additionally, consider that all of these companies are pitching and negotiating business arrangements, localizing for other languages, etc, etc, and maybe you can see why the ducks don't just line up.  It's not like there's just a stack of ready-to-go games just waiting to be switched on.  Even those "old arcade games" aren't straight ports - they have multiplayer, or enhanced graphics, or whatever (and are delivered by 3rd parties, just like the rest of them).

What field do you work in?  Perhaps I can come up with an appropriate metaphor.  Suffice it to say the 'herding cats' one that everyone's familiar with is triply difficult when working with external partners.

Well, that is great and you can have all the legit explanations in the world....but when Nintendo is coming up with 3 or more games a week on their Virtual Console....maybe you need to change tactics. People expect a game (or something) every Wednesday, fair or not. Especially since this has been going for over a year now. Just sayin.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2007, 02:07:56 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on January 31, 2007, 02:02:36 AM

Well, that is great and you can have all the legit explanations in the world....but when Nintendo is coming up with 3 or more games a week on their Virtual Console....maybe you need to change tactics. People expect a game (or something) every Wednesday, fair or not. Especially since this has been going for over a year now. Just sayin.

You cannot possibly be comparing Live Arcade games to what Nintendo is putting on the Virtual Console?   Did you even read the post you responded to?

That being said.  None of those games excites me that much.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 02:12:09 AM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2007, 02:09:25 AM »

My only problem is that of these 10 games that we are expected to be excited about, and likely won't see for months, only one of them is a new title: Battle of the Bugs.  I'm sure I will get Worms and maybe Alien Hominid if it itsn't obscenely priced, but if this is the big guns they are bringing out then it seems weak to me.  

As for Nintendo's releases every week, it is impressive that they can keep that rate up, but those games are straight emulations (first-party for the most part) and they do not have any added functionality (multiplayer, Live Awareness, etc) nor do they feature enhanced graphics or sound.  

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2007, 02:16:03 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 31, 2007, 02:07:56 AM

You cannot possibly be comparing Live Arcade games to what Nintendo is putting on the Virtual Console?   Did you even read the post you responded to?

Yes, I am and did. Did you even read my post? I said they need to change tactics if they can't get a release out every week. I don't care if Nintendos games are all older console games, at least they get a couple games out each week. The best that Arcade seems to be able to do is 1, if that. I don't care about New Rally X with 1080i graphics or whatever. Just give me the old games, but give me 4-5 of them a week. Then every couple of weeks they could have a game like Alien Hominid or Assault Heroes.

jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2007, 02:21:58 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on January 31, 2007, 02:16:03 AM

Yes, I am and did. Did you even read my post? I said they need to change tactics if they can't get a release out every week. I don't care if Nintendos games are all older console games, at least they get a couple games out each week. The best that Arcade seems to be able to do is 1, if that. I don't care about New Rally X with 1080i graphics or whatever. Just give me the old games, but give me 4-5 of them a week. Then every couple of weeks they could have a game like Alien Hominid or Assault Heroes.

Of all the people on all the forums I am a member of, you seem to be the only one really upset with XBLA. Just accept what comes out, if you don't like it, don't buy it, if you do, then get it. It is so far down on my list of 360 priorities, that it barely registers. I don't see the need for 3+ games a week, especially when all that will happen will a dilution of the quality of the titles. Give me 1 a week, a decent and fair choice I think, and I will be happy. Sometimes I will buy it, sometimes I won't, but lets just remember, this IS NOT THE FOCUS OF THE CONSOLE OR THE MANUFACTURER, so lets remember this is a bonus, an additional feature, and treat it as such. It should not be make or break for anyone, and frankly I consider it great that the "big 3" give us some great games that we can download, so I say kudos to Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft.

Just wanted to add that wasn't an attack of ya bud, just surprised how much the XBLA releases seem to bother ya.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 02:38:48 AM by jblank » Logged

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2007, 02:41:27 AM »

If only we had a time machine - I could go back in time to create an enormous stable of first-party games to port as-is to the 360.  Or, alternately, we can just port the Magic School Bus titles and Monster Truck Madness series as-is.

Look, Nintendo has a million billion titles they can port.  They just need a good NES emulator and an army of people who don't care that it's exactly the same game they played twenty years ago.  There's no original content for the virtual console yet; they're working from the (very) low hanging fruit portion of the tree.  I own the Gamecube Zelda collection, and I love it, but I like playing new games too.

What confuses me is that you want something instantaneously, but dismiss the cost of bringing it to market.  If you have a job, I assume you have deadlines and schedules and plans.  You may work with other companies that have the same.  There're game designers, business development people, developers, testers, and marketers.  They all have a role to play, and they're all coming up with original properties for you to download.  New development tools and middleware (like XNA) will speed the cost of development, but there will always always be a minimum cost to a release.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2007, 03:19:05 AM »

Monster Truck Madness!  Get on that!  slywink 

Seriously, I kind of enjoyed those as brainless off-road games back then.  Or the demos, at least.  Now that you have titles like MX vs ATV Unleashed that have monster trucks and so much more it just makes them seem that much more anitquated. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2007, 03:29:24 AM »

So you believe that a year and 2 months after launch, the Wii will still be putting out 3-4 VC titles a week? Somehow I doubt that.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2007, 03:31:57 AM »

Quote from: jblank on January 31, 2007, 02:21:58 AM

Of all the people on all the forums I am a member of, you seem to be the only one really upset with XBLA. Just accept what comes out, if you don't like it, don't buy it, if you do, then get it. It is so far down on my list of 360 priorities, that it barely registers. I don't see the need for 3+ games a week, especially when all that will happen will a dilution of the quality of the titles. Give me 1 a week, a decent and fair choice I think, and I will be happy. Sometimes I will buy it, sometimes I won't, but lets just remember, this IS NOT THE FOCUS OF THE CONSOLE OR THE MANUFACTURER, so lets remember this is a bonus, an additional feature, and treat it as such. It should not be make or break for anyone, and frankly I consider it great that the "big 3" give us some great games that we can download, so I say kudos to Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft.

Just wanted to add that wasn't an attack of ya bud, just surprised how much the XBLA releases seem to bother ya.  icon_smile

It just really bothers me because I think it could be so much better. I guess I am just disappointed with it more than anything. Oh and if you want to see a bunch of people mad at XBLA, go over to the Gaming Age Forums.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2007, 03:34:06 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on January 31, 2007, 03:29:24 AM

So you believe that a year and 2 months after launch, the Wii will still be putting out 3-4 VC titles a week? Somehow I doubt that.

I dont know, but to be fair, MS didn't put out much of anything Live Arcade for months after the 360 was launched. It wasn't until Summer when that Live Arcade Wednesdays was announced that we started getting more than 1 game a month....if that. At least Nintendo is off to a good start.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2007, 03:37:06 AM »

Gaming Age, ok I might check that out.

Yes, Hetz, it could be better, but is there a market for it to be? I love my Uno, Texas Hold 'Em, Hexic, Frogger, Ms. Pac Man, and Smash TV, and I like to see whats coming down the line as far as XBLA games go, but honestly, I think most people feel pretty happy with the service. Again, lets just remember, while it's far from perfect, it's a HELLUVA lot better than nothing, and some very good titles have come out for XBLA, and on the whole, it is very popular. Is it popular enough that they need to flood the market with 3 games a week? No, especially since all that will do is burn through the good titles faster, and leave us with Sudoku and other derivatives of it, 18 months from now.

I think most people see it as the leisure side of gaming, and as such, it's not priority one. If you view it as more than that, cool, I respect that, but again, it isn't mandatory for them to supply us with titles, and frankly, it can't be expected to "power the system". Lets just remember what it is and try to keep it in perspective.

Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2007, 03:38:41 AM »

/shrug

I have trouble keeping up with all the games I want to play on my 360 already. It doesn't bother me if there's an off week or two.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2007, 03:39:44 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on January 31, 2007, 03:34:06 AM

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on January 31, 2007, 03:29:24 AM

I dont know, but to be fair, MS didn't put out much of anything Live Arcade for months after the 360 was launched. It wasn't until Summer when that Live Arcade Wednesdays was announced that we started getting more than 1 game a month....if that. At least Nintendo is off to a good start.

I think they are ALL off to a good start. Eventually the law of diminishing returns comes into play. If they started to release 3-4 a week, eventually, the bottom of the barrel is getting scraped, to meet that mandate, and if they stop doing 3-4 a week, then you're back in here ripping them for it. It's a no win situation, so they go conservative, hold back the AAA titles a bit, tease ya some, and in the meantime, release some real gems of games, that otherwise might become afterthoughts.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2007, 03:42:28 AM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on January 31, 2007, 03:38:41 AM

/shrug

I have trouble keeping up with all the games I want to play on my 360 already. It doesn't bother me if there's an off week or two.

Ditto. Shit, I still haven't gotten all my achievements on Galaga yet and it came out what, 6 months ago? So it's a bad week for XBLA releases.....big deal. Go play Lost Planet, College Hoops 2K7, Rainbow 6 Vegas, GoW, Sneak King, a Wii, a PS3, a GBA, a DS, a PSP, etc.........See my point? It's competitive enough for Microsoft on XBLA, with gamers attention being divided among other things, why shoot your wad so fast?

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2007, 03:48:47 AM »

Unlike the 360 games, though, the VC titles ARE straight ports as far as I know. I'm not trying to make excuses for them, but while it may be the closest comparison we can make, I'm not certain it is that good of one. Now, if we were to start seeing independent development for VC and they managed a schedule like that, I think you'd have a better argument.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2007, 04:55:03 AM »

That Mad Tracks game that's coming looks really fun.

PSN ID: EduardoX
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2007, 05:10:25 AM »

Paper Boy??????  icon_confused next will be the burning building and the fire guys with the bed..Fire Rescue I think it was... on the LCD hand held.
Don't get me wrong I enjoyed my share of paper boy when there weren't many choices. 
I aint paying no mo dan 2 dollar for this one. Although I am pretty sure a quick run of a demo will full fill any desire I have to play this game.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: