http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 04:50:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Should I upgrade the hard drive or buy a new system?  (Read 1581 times)
Jancelot
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2008, 06:53:59 AM »

Hey all,

I've very close to maxing out my 20GB hard drive and am ready to pick up one of the bigger models.  I hoping to pick up the 60GB but it seems to be out-of-stock on Amazon.  Perhaps the holiday bundles might have used up the stock? The 120GB ones are available but run $160.  However, I noticed that the new Jasper units are out and I was wondering if it was worth it to upgrade (the 60GB bundle) from a heat/sound/stability standpoint.

Cheers.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 11:32:53 AM »

The only confirmed Jaspers that I'm aware of are Arcades.
I did both--bought a new Arcade and a 120GB drive. Finally got it hooked up yesterday.
I haven't had too much time to play, but pleased thus far.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 11:43:28 AM »

The hard drives are ridiculously expensive, I see the 120GB HD listed on Amazon for $160... That's $40 cheaper than an Arcade system. Sheesh!

If you want a Jasper unit, but need a large HD, probably best to go with the Arcade system and 60GB HD which will run you $250 minus what you sell your current system for.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 04:21:25 PM »

There's instructions around here via a recent post that'll allow you to put your own HD into your 360 (but limited to the current sizes available on the market of 20, 60, and 120GB). Yeah, you violate your Terms of Service on your 360, and may possibly get your Live account banned, but you'll easily save $50 to $75 on the price of a new HD (as Microsoft's markup is god-awful insane).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 04:27:30 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 18, 2008, 04:21:25 PM

There's instructions around here via a recent post that'll allow you to put your own HD into your 360 (but limited to the current sizes available on the market of 20, 60, and 120GB). Yeah, you violate your Terms of Service on your 360, and may possibly get your Live account banned, but you'll easily save $50 to $75 on the price of a new HD (as Microsoft's markup is god-awful insane).

Again, this is a seriously bad idea, as it's conceivable that you can get your live account banned, but also your console banned, which would certainly hurt the resale value (unless you're unethical).
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 04:37:25 PM »

I'm thinking of toughing it out until Microsoft drops the price on the HDs, is that going to happen?  Ugh I can buy 2 terrabyte HD for the price they are asking for 120gb!  icon_evil
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 10:59:24 PM »

I also have a 20GB model that is close to full, but I've decided to wait till either the HD prices drop, or until Jaspers are common in all models before I upgrade.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 01:31:28 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on December 18, 2008, 11:43:28 AM

If you want a Jasper unit, but need a large HD, probably best to go with the Arcade system and 60GB HD which will run you $250 minus what you sell your current system for.

Hmm, this seems like a great option.  I have to go and get a couple final gifts this weekend (ugh) so perhaps I'll reward myself by seeing if I can find these at Best Buy.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 03:08:29 AM »

Quote from: skystride on December 18, 2008, 04:37:25 PM

I'm thinking of toughing it out until Microsoft drops the price on the HDs, is that going to happen?  Ugh I can buy 2 terrabyte HD for the price they are asking for 120gb!  icon_evil

They already did, sorta. The 60GB costs what the 20GB used to.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 05:26:07 AM »

Personally I'd just tough it out until the Jasper Pro (60 GB) models arrive, unless you think you're going to be doing a ton of DLC over the Holidays. I'm going to go the Jasper Pro route, or if my Zephyr Pro miraculously survives another year I'll just wait until the 60 GB HD price drops.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 08:10:42 AM »

Just be aware of the fact that if you buy a 120GB HD - it comes with a transfer cable and disc that is easy to transfer all of your files, including game licenses.  For some reason, known only to MS, if you buy a 60GB HD - you get no disc and cable.  On their support site, you can order one (or so their confusing email tells me), or you can transfer everything via a memory card... but some things won't transfer without the cable and disc.  I was surprised the mem card let me move my Oblivion DL content - but not a saved game for Zuma. Go figure.

The other thing to know is that the cable and disc combo, if you go that route, will completely transfer everything from your 20GB HD to your 120GB HD - but can only be done once every twelve months.  If I order the transfer kit now - and use it - then I decide to put the 60GB on my second 360, and want to transfer from that to a 120GB... well, it's "You're Screwed" City!

I love my 360s, but I'm beginning to think that Apple should go into the video game business. The commercials would be good at least - "Hi, I'm a 360"... and "Hi, I'm a MacConsole"...  retard

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 08:19:11 AM »

the price on the HDD seriously pisses me off to end. I think it needs to get more press imo. I feel like im missing out simply because i didn't have any option at the time. I can't rip any games, which is the most coolest feature ever. It's just lame that the prices are gouged so damn high for no reason other than a big fuck you from MS. That's one nice thing the ps3 has for itself is you can easily put any size HDD you want.

in my position I'd be better off buying a new system. I have no HDMI, no real HDD space nothing of that sort. Really lame. I wish they had a trade in service to offset the price. Win-win. They get units to offset their RROD and I get a real 360 for less!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 08:33:14 PM »

Quote from: skystride on December 18, 2008, 04:37:25 PM

I knew the prices were insane, but I didn't think they were that bad. And you must be thinking of 3.5 inch 'normal' PC drives, verses the 2.5 inch ones which go into laptops (and is what's used in the 360).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 09:02:16 PM »

120gb for $144: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-120GB-Hard-Drive/dp/B000OYKQBU

or

500gb for $110: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150380%201309740009&name=500GB

Rape.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 09:36:13 PM »

Okay...I knew that the 2.5 drives had dropped in price recently. I just didn't know by THAT much.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 09:50:28 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on December 24, 2008, 08:10:42 AM

Just be aware of the fact that if you buy a 120GB HD - it comes with a transfer cable and disc that is easy to transfer all of your files, including game licenses.  For some reason, known only to MS, if you buy a 60GB HD - you get no disc and cable.  On their support site, you can order one (or so their confusing email tells me),...

Based on what I've read on other sites the cable and disk will only be supplied by MS Support with certain models when you buy a 60 GB HD. I haven't confirmed this on any official MS websites, but a number of threads I found at different sites mentioned that current owners of 20 GB Pro/Premier models are excluded. In the last thread I read, one of the posters mentioned calling MS Support numerous times and being flatly refused. This doesn't make sense to me, unless MS is so desperate to make a buck on hardware that they're deliberately driving existing Pro owners to the more costly 120 GB.  icon_eek
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2008, 08:56:49 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on December 24, 2008, 09:50:28 PM

Quote from: mytocles on December 24, 2008, 08:10:42 AM

Just be aware of the fact that if you buy a 120GB HD - it comes with a transfer cable and disc that is easy to transfer all of your files, including game licenses.  For some reason, known only to MS, if you buy a 60GB HD - you get no disc and cable.  On their support site, you can order one (or so their confusing email tells me),...

Based on what I've read on other sites the cable and disk will only be supplied by MS Support with certain models when you buy a 60 GB HD. I haven't confirmed this on any official MS websites, but a number of threads I found at different sites mentioned that current owners of 20 GB Pro/Premier models are excluded. In the last thread I read, one of the posters mentioned calling MS Support numerous times and being flatly refused. This doesn't make sense to me, unless MS is so desperate to make a buck on hardware that they're deliberately driving existing Pro owners to the more costly 120 GB.  icon_eek

I haven't "tested" them yet - the Support e-mail said that I could order a cable and disk to transfer my data from 20GB to 60GB... but I'm not holding out a lot of hope.  They seem to answer one or two questions in an email, when you posed six or eight.  Everything on the 'Net leads me to believe that the disk only is made to go from 20GB to 120GB even though they say you can go 20GB>60GB in the email.

I did find that I could transfer almost everything I cared about via memory card (even DL content, like for Oblivion) though it took two trips with the 512MB card - except for one licensed file. Due to that, I may not transfer everything, even if they can supply the appropriate disk, since you can only transfer licenses or full content of the HD once every twelve months. I may get a Jasper unit, or a 120GB HD before one year is up, so I have to decide first...  disgust

If I remember I said this, I will click on the part of the email where they said I could order a disk and cable for the transfer, soon.  "Soon" - realistically - may be "after the holidays" which includes recovery from my neighbor's New Year's Eve partaaay.   retard

And - if I remember - I will post the results here.   Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 12:01:07 AM »

I just grabbed an used 120 gig from Gamestop for 90 bucks (100 minus the 10 EDGE discount) and they had a transfer kit they lent me for free, so the pain and anguish wasn't too much.  of course, if the guy hadn't mentioned they had it I would have walked out of there with Rock band 2 instead, but I settled on grabbing the HD with tales of vesperia and Tomb Raider Underworld as my free game from their B2G1 free sale.

the transfer was nice and smooth, and but I hate how they loaded it up with demos, themes, gamer pics and XBLA trials that you need to delete one by one.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2008, 06:04:37 PM »

Well, I finally looked at the MS Support email info, and they directed me to a PDF file with a form to fill out, you know, the usual: name, address, blood type of your first-born...

From their email instructions, specifically regarding transfer of data:

3.  Under Related Links, right-click How to Get Your Free Transfer Cable (PDF)...
4.  After you download the form, print and then complete the form.
Note: You must provide the serial number of the Xbox 360 console on which you currently store the data. You must also provide the serial number of the new Xbox 360 console to which you will transfer the data.

Requested serial numbers on the form:

EXISTING XBOX 360 CONSOLE SERIAL NUMBER (12 DIGITS LOCATED ON REAR OF XBOX 360)

NEW ELITE OR `SPECIAL EDITION' CONSOLE SERIAL NUMBER (12 DIGITS LOCATED ON REAR OF XBOX 360)

And:

*Incomplete forms will not be processed.

The problem comes when they ask for those serial numbers - I'm not moving consoles, I'm upgrading to a 60GB HD, so there is no console with that second requested serial number.

The second email from MS says you can transfer from any HD as long as it is the same size or smaller than the destination drive.  That sounded good until I DL'd the form and it asks for those serial numbers, specifying the Elite or a Special Edition.  The existing console number is no problem, but the destination is neither of the two noted units, but an original, launch 360.

This all stems from me buying an Arcade unit and a 60GB HD, to replace a failing "box" on one 360, and a failing HD on my other 360.  So, now I'm wondering what happens if I fill in the form (so it will be complete) using the Arcade unit's serial number - which is not the destination console... 

I'm guessing that these are all possibilities:  1) I will void any warranty or get into trouble some other way I don't foresee, due to putting the 60GB HD on a different unit than what I tell them.  2) They will send me the 20GB to 120GB Elite transfer kit, which will not work on the 60GB.  3)  They have made, and will send me, a 20GB > 60GB kit that does the trick, but if I use it, I can't do it again with a 120GB HD, until a year has passed.

If I don't request the cable, then I'm fine - I was able to copy and move everything I cared about from the 20GB drive to the 60GB, using a 512MB memory card.  I'd really like to test their system, if only to find the answer, but they sure don't make it easy.  saywhat

I believe what I'll end up doing is letting the Sleeping MS Dog Lie, simply because it is easier... and, yes, "Lie" can be interpreted in more than one way.   disgust

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Gooter
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 01:44:01 AM »

Mytocles,

All I did was put "On Order" in the field where it asks for the destination or Elite serial number.  I rec'd the migration kit in 5 days after faxing the form to MS.  No problems or questions whatsoever.   I'm sure this is YMMV though.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 09:31:26 AM »

Quote from: Gooter on January 02, 2009, 01:44:01 AM

Mytocles,

All I did was put "On Order" in the field where it asks for the destination or Elite serial number.  I rec'd the migration kit in 5 days after faxing the form to MS.  No problems or questions whatsoever.   I'm sure this is YMMV though.

Lol, thanks for the tip, Gooter! Sometimes the simplest things are the answer (d'oh!), and I will definitely try that.  I really want to find out if they even have the transfer cable and disk for the upgrade to 60GB HD.  I don't really need it now, but it would be nice to have on hand - plus I want them to "produce" what they keep saying they have.  icon_twisted

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: